What the Razorpigs think about us

DAG

I have a hard time buying the term Elite Defense tag for Auburn at this point in the season. The only two offenses they have played that you could draw a conclusion from is Clemson (first game of season) and Texas A&M. Texas A&M put up 478 yards of offense against Auburn and 491 against Arkansas. We know that Arkansas defense is not a high quality defense. This is not near enough of a body of work to say Elite. Are they good, of course they are. You can look at points allowed and see that if nothing else teams may have a hard time scoring. Elite defenses on the other hand prevent yardage as well and provide scoring opportunities (see Bama). This is just what I see at this time.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sharpbbd said:

I have a hard time buying the term Elite Defense tag for Auburn at this point in the season. The only two offenses they have played that you could draw a conclusion from is Clemson (first game of season) and Texas A&M. Texas A&M put up 478 yards of offense against Auburn and 491 against Arkansas. We know that Arkansas defense is not a high quality defense. This is not near enough of a body of work to say Elite. Are they good, of course they are. You can look at points allowed and see that if nothing else teams may have a hard time scoring. Elite defenses on the other hand prevent yardage as well and provide scoring opportunities (see Bama). This is just what I see at this time.

I appreciate your input and opinion on the board but you are delusional if you have that as the only 2 games to draw conclusiom from. Tex am racked up some yardage but was unable to score more than 2 tds. It was the offense that let them down that game and still held their offense out of the endzone the majority of the game. The second td wasnt until the middle of the 4th quarter. That was the 3rd game of the season and the defense has gotten better since. But lets ignore the miss state game and lsu game since it doesnt fit your narrative 

24 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

I appreciate your input and opinion on the board but you are delusional if you have that as the only 2 games to draw conclusiom from. Tex am racked up some yardage but was unable to score more than 2 tds. It was the offense that let them down that game and still held their offense out of the endzone the majority of the game. The second td wasnt until the middle of the 4th quarter. That was the 3rd game of the season and the defense has gotten better since. But lets ignore the miss state game and lsu game since it doesnt fit your narrative 

Right . Let's not focus on all of Auburn's games but only on games where the yardage is high . Yardage honestly doesn't matter . Good defenses keep teams out of the endzone and Auburn has done that all year . If that's not elite then I don't know what elite is 

48 minutes ago, Sharpbbd said:

By that logic, since the Pigs (who are not an Elite offense) put up 473 yards against the Tawd, they aren’t an Elite defense either (despite what you said).

Guys...Don't feed the troll. Auburn's D is good where it counts. SCORING Defense.  That's all that matters at the end of the games anyway. It really makes no difference what he wants to argue, we'll all find out on Saturday and we'll never hear from him again.:wareagle:

BTW

bammer ... 1918 yds given up. 15 pts per game.

Auburn... 2081 yds given up. 16 pts per game. 

14th and 22nd in total Defense...respectively. 

You are missing the point of the statement. I didn't say the Auburn defense wasn't GOOD. They are. That's not debatable! But Elite, I can't buy it. And Troll really? The only post I have been commenting on the forum was the one about the Razorbacks, which is obviously the team I root for. I did not go through your forum board and post on every one. Just the one relevant to the game this weekend. Don't think that quite qualifies as Troll status.

It's really just defining terms. I tend to think of top 30 national offenses or defenses as the elite offenses and defenses in a given year. If you're stingier in your definition, you might limit it to top 20 or 10 or some other equally arbitrary cut off. In that case, you're right. Auburn wouldn't qualify. 

This defense has prevented yards though. It's silly to ignore all other data points and look only at a defenses worst performance as a way to claim they aren't good, great, elite, whatever. By that measure, Bama certainly doesn't qualify. They bled yards and point to Ole Miss, which is a statistically inferior offense to A&M. Same for UF against UT. They must not qualify either. See? You can't ignore the rest of the games. 

Maybe Auburn doesn't meet your cut off for elite, but the defense has consistently limited yardage, third down conversions, and points. 

4 hours ago, Sharpbbd said:

You are missing the point of the statement. I didn't say the Auburn defense wasn't GOOD. They are. That's not debatable! But Elite, I can't buy it. And Troll really? The only post I have been commenting on the forum was the one about the Razorbacks, which is obviously the team I root for. I did not go through your forum board and post on every one. Just the one relevant to the game this weekend. Don't think that quite qualifies as Troll status.

Maybe not on the national stage, but in the SEC alone, we are in the top half in every scoring, rush, pass and total defense and opponents 3rd down and RZ conversions. 

I'm not sure I'd argue the point of what label to give to which team.  The game is Saturday. I'll leave the word tossing to you braver people.  I believe it will be a good game and I'm just not up for snarkiness right now.  So sticking with the subject "What the Razorpigs think about us" is... we're beatable.  And whether we want to dig in that Auburn is a better team or not, Ark has continually shown that they come to play this game.  I appreciate Bird's pointing out Ark's poor defensive performance, but that is not who usually shows up.  I appreciate a team that plays with heart, passion and character.  You know what's pitiful - look a Georgia.  They look like they are sleep-walking on the field.  If the ball is close to them they're a little active. Elsewhere, they might as well be in Singapore.  It really looks like they've given up.  It's sad.  

Auburn fans see the current work of our defense.  It's been great, sprinkled with surges with stellar.  On offense, we know where our run game is. I love this quote from Ferg's Film Room

"Auburn has dropped 11 of White’s 29 incompletions this season. If his receivers would have caught just five of those attempts, White would lead the nation in completion percentage. Fortunately for him and the offense as a whole, Auburn’s receivers have only had three drops in the last three games after eight in the first three."

We've seen those 11 drops.. in-the-hands spot-on passes.  Our run game is solid and the the pass game is, well, the unknown gem.  On the surface we match up really well.  But Ark is not going to come in and roll over so we can abuse them.  They've historically shown more character than that.  I still believe we take them by 17, but it is not a gimme.  I expect both teams to have some heart and that is what I'm looking forward to.  

Respectfully, OldAUFeller

6 hours ago, Sharpbbd said:

One thing to also consider is how often our defense was on the field in those games.  In the two games you are referencing, our offense was not up and running yet.  They had more three and outs than I care to remember.  Naturally those two teams will have more yards on us as our offense couldn't do anything to stay on the field.  One game to look at better would be our LSU or Mississippi State game.  It is like Florida under Will Muschamp.  They had a really good defense, but their offense was terrible so opponents put up yards on them.  The same argument would apply to Arkansas.  Arkansas' offense is known to stay on the field just for the fact that they play really slow and eat up clock.  So their defense has a better chance of limiting yards on opponents.

Also, don't let some people on here give you the impression Auburn fans are not nice or inconsiderate.  This is a small sample size.  You learn to blow it off.  You are also on the opponents message board so people on here are defending their turf.  I would expect you to do the same on yours.

Arkansas has a chance to come down here and beat us for sure. They're confident, and we're gettin a little cocky. But in terms of who the teams are i cant help but think Arkansas is a lot like LSU. I think LSU is better everywhere except QB. AA has made some great throws and has shown a lot of grit. The other aspect is I think Enos is a better play caller than LSU was when we faced them. 

I think Auburn wins if we go out there and do what we're supposed to. I look for our run game to let us hold onto the ball and keep our D fresh, and I look for our D to get some 3-and-outs. Arky can pass but our corners are pretty good. Itll be a great test for us and we'll have to play a complete game. 

Should be fun to watch! (Read: I might barf at some point)

13 hours ago, Sharpbbd said:

This...  Auburn held both Clemson and A&M to their lowest points of the season. And really, that's what matters.  After all, bama gave up 400 in the air to Arkansas and still stomped them into the ground.

17 hours ago, kwren34 said:

The biggest weakness on Arkansas' offence is the O-line - particularly Hjalte Froholdt (#51). He tends to get lost and beaten. He got burned on a 3rd down on their first possession against Ole Miss and it lead to a drive ending sack. I believe they've moved Jake Raulerson (one of their most consistent linemen to help Froholdt). Other than that, as a whole, the rest of the line has been underwhelming. Overall, they've had better than average O-line play for the past 2 years and they aren't seeing it this year. 

I'm not convinced Austin Allen is playing as well as Brandon Allen played starting with the Auburn game through the end of last year, however, Austin is playing better more consistently than Brandon did.

Rawleigh Williams had his first great game against Ole Miss and he showed flashes against A&M (fumbled on the 1 yard line and lost confidence). Devwah Whaley is their next big runner. Everyone has high expectations for him. They haven't been using him as much as the fans would like, but they're happy with what they've been seeing. 

Their receivers can catch the ball. Sprinkle is no joke at Tight End.

Defensively, McTelvin Agim is about as hyped to Arkansas as Carl Lawson was to Auburn. Generally, their line is the best part of their defense.

Line backers are pretty thin. Especially with Dre Greenlaw being injured. He's been very consistent over the last 2 years. His backup (Dwayne Eugene I believe) has filled his shows well. However, I think Eugene got injured against Ole Miss, haven't heard of his status. Brooks Ellis is probably the smartest defender on the field. He doesn't have it all physically, however he is always lined up correctly and plays smart. 

One thing that really frustrates Arkansas fans is the cushion that their DBs give receivers. Other than that, they have some hard hitters. Santos Ramirez and Henre' Toliver are decent DBs. 

To me, Arkansas is about as good as they were last year. I can't see too many tremendous improvements. Of course, I say all of this living in central Arkansas and listening to their sports talk radio on my hour commute daily.

Froholdt has been lost at time in pass blocking for sure.  But he might be the best run blocker on the Arkansas O-line.  He is crazy strong, big, and athletic.  

Personally, I'd like to see him get a little mixed up on some passing downs with our rush front (Holland/Adams/Lawson/Davidson) on the field.

College football is loaded with teams that regularly flirt with national success but have fan bases that don't know squat about the game and seem to simply run on emotion rather than knowledge or facts. Arkansas has some success at a high level almost every decade but the many, many Ark fans I've been around since the 1970s are a brutally uniformed bunch - I mean like not knowing about Frank Broyles, anything about the SW conference, poll history, rules, etc.

So there's what a fan of THE Tigers thinks about them.:wareagle:

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

This...  Auburn held both Clemson and A&M to their lowest points of the season. And really, that's what matters.  After all, bama gave up 400 in the air to Arkansas and still stomped them into the ground.

I think like most games it will come down to taking care of the ball. We had 5 turnovers against Alabama. Two of them were defensive touchdowns for them or it would have been a 35-30 game. Austin is more of a gunslinger than Brandon was so he would rather try to fit it into a small window than throw it out of bounds. Our receivers against your DBs will be fun to watch IMO.

No doubt Arky has a good passing O, but i wonder how much of the yardage is beefed up from playing catch up in those games where the run game was non-existent and/or against 2nd team D??  No idea for sure, just wondering if stats are propped up b/c of going off gameplan.

Arky's D is bad and no doubt AU should be able to move the ball and efficiently score.  I think AU's D is similar to the other really good Ds in the conference, but I might argue that AU might have a little bit better secondary than the others.  With Arky having weakness at the OL, AU DL should give them problems.  Arky and AU have tended to turn the ball over so protecting the ball is key to both teams.  Which D gets more stops and contains the other O??

25 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

I think like most games it will come down to taking care of the ball. We had 5 turnovers against Alabama. Two of them were defensive touchdowns for them or it would have been a 35-30 game. Austin is more of a gunslinger than Brandon was so he would rather try to fit it into a small window than throw it out of bounds. Our receivers against your DBs will be fun to watch IMO.

Yea... I wouldn't consider that a positive... especially vs a defense that's top ten in the NCAA for pass break-ups. 

It's certainly a positive when it works. I mean, (not comparing Allen to the following guy) you want Brett Favre when he's hot, but you really really don't want Brett Favre when he's not.

11 hours ago, Sharpbbd said:

Whatever dude. I just provided you with stats to contradict your "elite" status qualification. You claim bammer is elite, yet they're a whopping 25 yds less and a point a game less than Auburns...lol. And yes.... troll. You're initial post was good, then you went on to berate our D. Sorry, you just don't come onto an opposing teams board and puff your chest out and not expect to take a few punches. Trust me, we beat each other up over less. 

4 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Should be fun to watch! (Read: I might barf at some point)

Going down to the Loveliest Village for the game so I hope it'll be fun to watch! At least more fun than the last AU game I went to; it was in 2001 vs. MSU and AU struggled their way to a 16-14 win. The general suckiness of Auburn looking like they might lose plus the copious amounts of alcohol consumed due to my brother getting married that morning and then tailgating before the game definitely had my barfometer almost pegged. :puke:  

7 minutes ago, Michael X said:

Going down to the Loveliest Village for the game so I hope it'll be fun to watch! At least more fun than the last AU game I went to; it was in 2001 vs. MSU and they struggled their way to a 16-14 win. The general suckiness of Auburn looking like they might lose plus the copious amounts of alcohol consumed due to my brother getting married that morning and then tailgating before the game definitely had my barfometer almost pegged. :puke:  

15 years? You need to get out more. Just sayin. :Sing:

Match up: 

When Arky has the ball: #3 passing offense(yds per gm) versus #3 passing defense (draw),  #9 rushing offense(yds per gm) versus #6 rushing defense (advantage AU Defense), #3 total offense(yds per gm) versus #5 total defense (advantage Arky offense), #4 scoring offense(pts per gm) versus #4 scoring defense (draw). Overall unit vs unit score = draw.

When AU has the ball: #8 passing offense(yds per gm) versus #7 passing defense (draw),  #3 rushing offense(yds per gm) versus #9 rushing defense (advantage AU Offense),  #8 total offense(yds per gm) versus #9 total defense (draw), #6 scoring offense(pts per gm) versus # 11 scoring defense (advantage AU). Overall unit vs unit score = AU +2.

Additionally, we lead the conference by a mile in fewest punt return yards (-3 (which is insane)) and in fewest kick return yards (64). Arkansas is last in kick return yards (678) and 8th in punt return yardage (71). We also lead the conference in field goals made and percentage, with Arkansas being 8th in field goals made and 5th in percentage. All of this to say that Legatron his a huge difference in this game. 

2 minutes ago, oldaufeller said:

15 years? You need to get out more. Just sayin.  

Heh heh, yeah I was thinking the same thing as I was typing my post. Actually, I do get out and about and have been to Auburn more than a few times during those 15 years. Just haven't been to a game in that long, I need to start making it a habit to get out to those more. 

Archived