MBB vs Montevallo (Exibition)

jared52

Sounds like we have a lot of scoring threats on the floor. Wish I could visually see how good Purifoy, Heron, and the rest of the new guys were looking. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Sounds like we have a lot of scoring threats on the floor. Wish I could visually see how good Purifoy, Heron, and the rest of the new guys were looking. 

Same here. Brown, Heron, Johnson, Purifoy, and Lang have all hit 3s.

53-36 AU at the half. 

96-68 is the final. Lots of turnovers, but that's typical of early season games. Shot well and forced a few turnovers themselves. Looking forward to the games that count!

Anyone actually see the game in person.....get a feeling about the defense questions?      Montevallo has been a pretty good Div 11 school but 68 points sounds like maybe we were trading baskets for a while ?  

I went.  This team will be fun and periodically frustrating.  They we're trying too hard at the beginning of the game.

i think it would be wise, for any overly optimistic people, to ratchet back the expectations.  NIT will be a success.

we will absolutely beat some folks we aren't supposed to.  We won't be out of any game.  It will take us a bunch of games to know how to play together.

everything you've heard about each player is accurate. 

Heron and purifoy are great.  purifoy is not in his ideal position.  Our guards are crazy quick and small.  We will have a hard time utilizing our undersized centers (i.e. PF's) on offense.  Lang and brown will be in the game to hit 3's.  Listen to Bruce pearl.  There is zero coach speak.  What he says is deadon accurate.

i'd say the one revelation I had ... pearl is going to do to dunnans that he did to Sullivan a couple years ago ... he will ask our leader to do more than he is capable, which will result in struggling play. I hope that doesn't happen, but it did in this exhibition game.

this team will be fun.  But will need the stars to align for the NCAA tourney.

Thanks Eagle....Dunnans was probably my favorite player when he was healthy.......I can see BP pushing him to do a lot....could be a leader on the floor if he plays under control.

Guess we will know more pretty soon now.

3 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I went.  This team will be fun and periodically frustrating.  They we're trying too hard at the beginning of the game.

i think it would be wise, for any overly optimistic people, to ratchet back the expectations.  NIT will be a success.

we will absolutely beat some folks we aren't supposed to.  We won't be out of any game.  It will take us a bunch of games to know how to play together.

everything you've heard about each player is accurate. 

Heron and purifoy are great.  purifoy is not in his ideal position.  Our guards are crazy quick and small.  We will have a hard time utilizing our undersized centers (i.e. PF's) on offense.  Lang and brown will be in the game to hit 3's.  Listen to Bruce pearl.  There is zero coach speak.  What he says is deadon accurate.

i'd say the one revelation I had ... pearl is going to do to dunnans that he did to Sullivan a couple years ago ... he will ask our leader to do more than he is capable, which will result in struggling play. I hope that doesn't happen, but it did in this exhibition game.

this team will be fun.  But will need the stars to align for the NCAA tourney.

Do you think Purifoy will suffer because of being out of position? I know we have talked about this plenty of times but curious how he looked in an actual game

I thought he looked great.  I'm not qualified to say if he was out of position particularly with this opponent.  He did not seem to make the plays I would expect a power forward to make.  I felt like we were playing with 2 guards, 2 small forwards and an undersized center.  

He and heron seemed dangerous from the entire court.  I really am no basketball guy ... just giving my best thoughts ... seemed like heron wanted to get towards the basket and purifoy seemed a little more comfortable with the jump shot.

i was most impressed by heron in the game.  The very first play of the game, he took the ball from the top right of the key and he looped to the left of the basket basket.  I expected a wide angled layup attempt and next thing you know he is trying to throw down a left handed jam.  He missed on the foul, but it showed me this kid isn't scared and will try to score.  It also looked effortless. I'm not sure his weight, but he looks wide and I'm betting after a year of college workouts will be really strong - not that he isn't already.

big centers and strong, physical front courts will hurt us, unless we can out score them.  Btw, montevallo did not suck.  They didn't come to lose.  Regardless of the score, I felt like it was always a game.  Really more of a compliment to them than anything about us.

I went to the game, Purifoy and Heron, will be great, we definitely have lots of scorers and very quick.

I am high on this team, they will learn to play better, we did not move the ball well on the perimeter, kind of picked a side and tried to attack it, tried to go inside and threw it away a lot.  I say all that because this group just has to play together more and realize their strengths.  We do not have post player, which will hurt against some teams, but we can make it up in good ball movement on the perimeter.

War Eagle

Few college teams are able to play a true power forward and a true center the entire game, there just aren't a lot of those talented guys out there. Additionally, not many team in today's game have a design to get the ball to a post forward, with his back to the goal and expect him to score the ball. We play in a guard dominated, stretch four, basketball world. That is what our roster is designed to do, so I don't expect size to be a problem for us in most of our games. In fact mis-matches work both ways, so it may help us beat some larger teams. 

We will have mismatches in our favor but we will likely lose rebounding battles against bigger teams and that, IMO, is the concern. Tough to win when you don't win the rebounding battle.

This game cemented what we have been hearing.  We have a lot of talented individuals with scoring potential. They are fast and they play hard. They are not a team yet in that despite all the scoring it was more due to individual talent then crisp ball movement. They played hard and because of that made a lot of steals but also turned over the ball to much. Mclemore played hard and contributed in limited minutes because of foul trouble similar to Spencer last year.

The key as Pearl has said and other posters is how quickly they can meld into a unit, improve on D as a team cut down on turnovers and rebound using position, blocking out and timing to make up for the fact that they will be smaller then most teams up front. Like many I  think NIT is reasonable goal and NCAA is probably out of their reach but the fact that Pearl will have them playing against high quality opponents it will also give them a chance to grow.  The toughness of the early schedule could help them once they get to SEC. All these guys want to win and they will hopefully grow from playing the tough teams and become one sooner then later.

Either way I think this will be an up and down season but I expect this will be a fun team to watch and I hope they surprise us with how good they become but I will still be happy as I realize this is just the beginning of the nucleus of the future.

I started to point out stuff I noticed in the highlights but then I thought they are highlights so what's the point. I'll tell you one thing Heron's mindset of his interview leads me to believe he will be a very efficient player. I figured he was going to be a starter if for no other reason to off set the smaller size at other positions but I didn't want to start up a starting 5 argument. I'm excited to see them play though

I'm thinking the exhibition game starting 5 will be it for the first few games or more.   I could see dunnans replaced with Lang or brown

we have other guys who can get to the hole and these 2 will be better perimeter shooters.  I hope dunnans will stay as a starter but I'm thinking he will do better as a slasher going to the rim - kind of like he started to begin last season

Being part of a starting five is probably good for the ego but considering the level of inexperience I'm guessing that a lot of Players will see more or less equal playing time for a number of games. 

It has been tough the past couple years with some guys 35 plus minutes per game. 

Being a starter is so overrated IMO. If I'm a player I'm worried about getting more minutes and playing the crunch time minutes down the stretch, not starting out the game on the floor. 

If we can have 2 sets of lineups with balanced skillsets that will be best for us IMO as I think mustache was alluding to that as well.

Archived