2017 NR QB Wil Appleton (walk on)

aubiefifty

Auburn adds quarterback Wil Appleton as preferred walk-on

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Earlier this month, dual-threat quarterback Wil Appleton announced his commitment to play for Auburn as a preferred walk-on.

The Albertville star will be following in the footsteps of his father, Hank, who suited up for the Tigers in the 1980s. He was recruited by Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton, who reportedly visited him last spring.

"Coach Horton called me shortly after and told me if I didn't get the scholarship offer I wanted, which is what happened, they want me at Auburn as a preferred walk on," Appleton told The Sand Mountain Reporter. "I've known about it [the offer] for a while, and I've known about my decision for a while. I've loved Auburn, and my dad played there. I'm excited and I'm ready to get down there."

Appleton is set to enroll at Auburn this January. He'll join returning starter Sean White, junior college transfer Jarrett Stidham, backups John Franklin III and Tyler Queen, redshirt Woody Barrett and fellow walk-on Devin Adams on the Plains for spring practices. 

The 6-foot, 195-pounder completed 62.4 percent of his passes for 1,270 yards and 15 touchdowns as a senior while rushing 66 times for another 286 yards three touchdowns. He missed nearly four full games with a broken arm, but the Aggies (8-3) managed to make the AHSAA state playoffs in back-to-back years for the first time since 1991-1993.

As a junior, Appleton threw for 1,304 yards and eight touchdowns with 354 yards and six touchdowns on the ground.

"I've been in this 38 years, and I've never had a kid work any harder at his craft than Wil Appleton has," Albertville head coach Dale Pruitt said. "Wil has had several injuries in his career, and he's never flinched. He's always come back.

"He's the gym rat of football. He's always wanting someone to go throw with him or go and do this or that, and it's always about trying to make him better and make his team better."

Read the full story at SandMountainReporter.com.

Wil is a great kid from a great family from what I know of them.  Led Albertville's offense to over 40+ppg up from 20+- ppg before he took over the  qb spot.  Wil will be a great addition to the locker room.

High praises from Coach Dale Pruitt which should tell everyone all they need to know about Wil.  CDP has state championships on his resume, and has turned Albertville's program around quickly.   CDP doesn't throw words like that around lightly.  Oh, and he also happens to be Jeremy Pruitt's dad.  Just wish he could have raised CJP to be an Auburn fan.  

On 12/23/2016 at 0:42 PM, Timeslider 6 said:

Does this kid make it at the QB position or are they looking at a possible position change for him?

QB walk ons typically stay at 1 spot while they are on roster.

Sounds like a solid kid with some talent. I am always happy to get these type of kids as walk-ons even if they never play.  Sometimes they fool people and end up better then expected. War Eagle and welcome to the family. Hope you are one of the special walk-ons we get at Auburn periodically.

These walk-ons are definitely Auburn Men. They do all the work on the practice field as well as the classroom but they usually never see the playing field at game time, especially at the QB position. If we end up having to use a non scholly QB then things are most likely are in very bad shape. Even mop up duty in a real game would go to the 2nd team QB then maybe a bit for an up and coming young scholly QB. These guys bust their butts, for AU to get the team ready. The big scholly players really appreciate these guys too. They truly are a real part of the team.

Archived