AU WRs opine on Stidham

aubiefifty

al.com

Auburn receivers share early thoughts on new quarterback Jarrett Stidham

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn's prized signee in the 2017 recruiting class officially arrived on the Plains as five-star quarterback Jarrett Stidham was one of the Tigers' early enrollees to move into dorms this weekend.

While Stidham is new to campus, his move-in wasn't his introduction to Auburn's football team. The former Baylor quarterback signed with Auburn last month on Dec. 14 during the junior college mid-year signing period and spent a few practices with the team before it left for New Orleans on Dec. 27 for the Sugar Bowl.

In his limited practice time, Stidham, a 6-foot-3, 210-pounder, impressed his new teammates -- particularly some of the skill players on offense he may be targeting in 2017.

"He can sling it," said Jason Smith, the Tigers' lone rising-senior receiver. "He can sling it. That's another help that just adds on to the team and another spark we'll have on next year. I look forward to playing with him."

Stidham did not play in 2016 after transferring from Baylor in the wake of the sexual assault scandal that surrounded the Bears' program and resulted in the firing of then-head coach Art Briles. Stidham transferred to nearby McLennan Community College but did not play for the football team, instead taking classes and training on his own.

As a freshman at Baylor in 2015, Stidham completed 75-of-109 passes for 1,265 yards and 12 touchdowns against just two interceptions in 10 games, including three starts. He added two rushing touchdowns for the Bears.

Auburn threw a total of 12 touchdown passes in 13 games this season, including just 11 from its three quarterbacks: Sean White, John Franklin III and Jeremy Johnson. The remaining touchdown pass came from running back Kerryon Johnson, who completed a jump-pass to tight end Jalen Harris as time expired in last week's Sugar Bowl loss to Oklahoma.

According to analysis from Pro Football Focus, Stidham was among the most efficient passers in the nation in 2015 on deep passes downfield, ranking fifth in the country as a freshman. He looks to bring that factor to Auburn, where he is the projected favorite to win the Tigers' starting quarterback job over White and Franklin in 2017. The Tigers ranked 92nd nationally in passing plays of 20-plus yards, with just 33 on the season.

RELATED: How Sean White is approaching competition with Stidham

"When he came to practice, he was a pretty good quarterback," freshman receiver Kyle Davis said. "We got three good quarterbacks -- well, two now; two other good quarterbacks, so we'll see if he wins the job when he gets here."

Stidham, a five-star prospect rated as the top JUCO player in the country and the best dual-threat quarterback. He hopes to follow in the footsteps of Cam Newton and Nick Marshall, both of whom enjoyed great success as dual-threat junior college transfers at Auburn.

Rhett Lashlee: Stidham a 'good fit' for Auburn's offense

Rhett Lashlee: Stidham a 'good fit' for Auburn's offense

Auburn is once again turning to a dual-threat transfer to revitalize a beleaguered passing game.

Stidham already began to build a rapport with his new receivers during the team's short break between bowl practice around the holidays, and he will continue to do so throughout the spring and into the summer as he vies for the starting job at quarterback, where Auburn has endured struggles the last two seasons since Marshall graduated.

"We hung out with him during the little break we had and he got used to everything quick," freshman receiver Eli Stove said.

Stove, who finished third on the team with 23 receptions this season, complimented Stidham's throwing ability, as well as the ease with which he picked up on the offense in a limited amount of time. All seemed eager to see what Stidham will be able to do when Auburn reconvenes for spring practices in March.

"I'm looking forward to see the quarterbacks and the competition," Smith said. "I know those boys definitely won't back down from the challenge. It's going to be good to see these guys compete and just be a part of this great year next year, you know what I'm saying, 2017."

He reminds me of a more accurate Alex Smith, but when he runs he reminds me of a skinnier Tebow because of his build. 

Where I think he helps the most is Deep Balls, Threat to Keep it and run and hitting the short passes just from the little film i've been able to see. Those 3 things keeps them from stacking the box.

He needs to add some weight to 220

50 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I love that damn movie ???

Me too.

One time we successfully mated a bulldog with a Shih-Tzu. Yeah, we called it a ...

I may have to watch it tonight!   THANKSSSSSSSS!! :Sing:

Great article, thanks for posting!

P.S. "Our pets' HEADS are falling off..."

Ultimate..."So you're SAYING there's a chance..."  has been oft quoted here.  Just for fun, here are some other favorites I found online.  Then, back to the scheduled program.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109686/quotes:wareagle:

6 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Opine doesn't seem like the right word despite the definition

Just put a word in that means the same as the phrase in the aricle title since the article title is to long to be a thread title.

Archived