Jarrett Stidham "The Climb Story"

WFE12

I've been trying not to fall for the hype but this is a really nice video. [media]

[/media]

This is a little funny now. Notice halfway down his scholarship offers basket he is rummaging through, he passes Auburn's papers. We are not even near the top..lol. My how things change.

I haven't watched a ton of his highlights but after watching this video he reminds me of a Chad Kelley type QB. Good movement in and out of the pocket to keep plays alive while keeping his eyes looking downfield. He looks really comfortable with the play action as well which is something we have lacked at times.

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

This is a little funny now. Notice halfway down his scholarship offers basket he is rummaging through, he passes Auburn's papers. We are not even near the top..lol. My how things change.

I noticed that, and was thinking the same thing. Lol

On another note, these kids sure look good on highlight tapes, let's hope he looks good on the field, against SEC defenses.

He was a five star, and played well as a freshman at Baylor, so we should be fine. After KF and JJ, I'm not overly confident but again, we should be OK.

Maybe for every KF and JJ at Auburn, there will be a Cam and Nick!

He's only played 3 games and been out of the game for a full year. He's basically a hyper-mature freshman at this point but I think we should relax on the hype for this guy because if he doesn't look like 2014 Arkansas game version of Jeremy Johnson right out of the gate there will be some freaking out on here. 

His potential is sky high but he is going to have to progress to get there. For the kids sake, I hope people understand this.

Not saying anyone in this thread was above and beyond hyping JS but just saying we are going to be a trendy pick for journalists this summer IMO

I just hope this young man lives up to the hype.  He does look very comfortable in the pocket and I like how he keeps his eyes downfield.  I hope that will continue after he gets the snot knocked out of him a few times and that is going to happen with the teams on our schedule.  

4 hours ago, Piketiger1990 said:

I haven't watched a ton of his highlights but after watching this video he reminds me of a Chad Kelley type QB. Good movement in and out of the pocket to keep plays alive while keeping his eyes looking downfield. He looks really comfortable with the play action as well which is something we have lacked at times.

If he can do what chad did against us and bama to other teams that'd be great.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

He's only played 3 games and been out of the game for a full year. He's basically a hyper-mature freshman at this point but I think we should relax on the hype for this guy because if he doesn't look like 2014 Arkansas game version of Jeremy Johnson right out of the gate there will be some freaking out on here. 

He potential is sky high but he is going to have to progress to get there. For the kids sake, I hope people understand this.

Not saying anyone in this thread was above and beyond hyping JS but just saying we are going to be a trendy pick for journalists this summer IMO

Yes, I definitely agree about that. It's been a year and he hasn't played in the sec but i wonder can we even use the sec argument anymore after how it was last year? Is the sec gonna stay about the same? I really would like to see this guy thrive because he's a big-body smart qb with some nifty scramble moves. I'm still not acting like he's gonna be our bread winner and win just about every award but we rarely ever get that and I'm asking myself...why not auburn? We deserve this from all the uncertainty at qb position we've had over the years. For now I'm staying cautiously optimistic.

12 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Yes, I definitely agree about that. It's been a year and he hasn't played in the sec but i wonder can we even use the sec argument anymore after how it was last year? Is the sec gonna stay about the same? I really would like to see this guy thrive because he's a big-body smart qb with some nifty scramble moves. I'm still not acting like he's gonna be our bread winner and win just about every award but we rarely ever get that and I'm asking myself...why not auburn? We deserve this from all the uncertainty at qb position we've had over the years. For now I'm staying cautiously optimistic.

I always hear that too. The big bad SEC. To be fair, the big bad SEC is represented by UGA, LSU and Bama on the defensive of the ball and for the most part our QBs have been piss poor against those teams for one reason or another. The rest I am not impressed with. Ole Miss, shaky. Arkansas, Very shaky. UTENN, Shaky. Vandy was below .500 and got destroyed in their bowl game, even though their defense was hyped up.  Not to say that the SEC doesn't have the best athletes or isn't a strong conference. I tend to believe, for the most part, the SEC QB's are some of the weakest around. This also has a cumulative effect for defensive stats.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

I always hear that too. The big bad SEC. To be fair, the big bad SEC is represented by UGA, LSU and Bama on the defensive of the ball and for the most part our QBs have been piss poor against those teams for one reason or another. The rest I am not impressed with. Ole Miss, shaky. Arkansas, Very shaky. UTENN, Shaky. Vandy was below .500 and got destroyed in their bowl game, even though their defense was hyped up.  Not to say that the SEC doesn't have the best athletes or isn't a strong conference. I tend to believe, for the most part, the SEC QB's are some of the weakest around. This also has a cumulative effect for defensive stats.

IT"S NOT BECAUSE OF MALZAHN'S AMAZING QB DEVELOPMENT!!!!

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

IT"S NOT BECAUSE OF MALZAHN'S AMAZING QB DEVELOPMENT!!!!

Haha, I am just saying it's the truth. SEC generally has had bad QB play lately. Yes, the SEC does put out good defensive studs and many athletes go on to play at the professional level, but the QB play of the SEC does skew some defensive stats.

Heck, even look at Bama. The teams they lose team never match them talent rise but they do have quality, consistent QB play. They get lit up by teams with competent QBs. Granted a handful of them were Heisman quality but some weren't. NM, Trevor Knight and Bo from ole miss. Not to call out Bama. They are great. The point is, the SEC has not been a staple for QB play overall. Sure you can argue JS will have trouble with the LSU and Bama but heck everyone in the nation will. We saw what happened to Lamar Jackson last year. Do you think miss state, Arkansas, ole miss, the aggies could do that to him? I think JS for sure will have to get used to the speed of the defensive linemen and DBs. That is for sure, but he is practitioners against a much better Auburn defense. I am not going to compare them to LSU or Bama, but they are better than most defenses in the SEC.

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

Haha I am just saying it's the truth . SEC generally has had bad QB play lately . Yes, the SEC does put out good defensive studs and many athletes go on to play at the professional level , but the QB play of the SEC does skew some defensive stats.

Heck, even look at Bama. The teams they lose team never match them talent rise but they do have quality, consistent QB play . They get lit up by teams with competent QBs. Granted a handful of them were heisman quality but some weren't . NM, Trevor Knight and Bo from ole miss . Not to call out Bama. They are great . The point is , the SEC has not been a staple for QB play overall. Sure you can argue JS will have trouble with the LSU and Bama but heck everyone in the nation will. We saw what happened to Lamar Jackson last year . Do you think miss state, Arkansas , ole miss , the aggies could do that to him? I think JS for sure will have to get use to the speed of the defensive linemen and DBs . That is for sure , but he is practitioners against a much better Auburn defense . I am not going to compare them to LSU or Bama , but they are better than most defenses in the SEC.

Valid point.  Les Miles did not develop QB's.  Sumlin hasn't done anything since Manzel.  Florida hasn't had anyone since Meyer coached there.  What Freeze did with Bo Wallace was impressive.  Yeah, overall not a lot of stellar QB's.

1 minute ago, ToomersStreet said:

Valid point.  Les Miles did not develop QB's.  Sumlin hasn't done anything since Manzel.  Florida hasn't had anyone since Meyer coached there.  What Freeze did with Bo Wallace was impressive.  Yeah, overall not a lot of stellar QB's.

Yep. So, when people talk about SEC defense, I have to say like whom? Besides LSU and Bama. Maybe UGA and I'm even iffy with them since the best Qb they faced last year was probably Chad Kelly and they got annihilated.  The kid from Tennessee was probably second and they also lost that game.  Well, I guess you can argue they faced Mitch Trubisky from UNC who is considered by most the #1 QB in the draft, but that kid is getting Blain Gabbert hype, IMO. All this to say, sure JS probably will struggle against the LSUs and Bamas of the world, but who wouldn't?! Johnny Football and Lamar Jackson, two Heisman winners struggled with LSU. However, if he is struggling with 80 percent of the other teams in the SEC, then he isn't the QB I thought he would be.

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep. So, when people talk about SEC defense, I have to say like whom? Besides LSU and Bama. Maybe UGA and I'm even iffy with them since the best Qb they faced last year was probably Chad Kelly and they got annihilated.  The kid from Tennessee was probably second and they also lost that game.  Well, I guess you can argue they faced Mitch Trubisky from UNC who is considered by most the #1 QB in the draft, but that kid is getting Blain Gabbert hype, IMO. All this to say, sure JS probably will struggle against the LSUs and Bamas of the world, but who wouldn't?! Johnny Football and Lamar Jackson, two Heisman winners struggled with LSU. However, if he is struggling with 80 percent of the other teams in the SEC, then he isn't the QB I thought he would be.

Yeah honestly the only sec teams i'd worry about defensive wise for him are lsu and bama and i believe he could be THAT guy to get us past those teams. He seems like the type to be confident under pressure and I hope he'll be the type to perform in big time games.

Guest WarEagleSteve
51 minutes ago, DAG said:

Let's be honest, even Bama and LSU had games last year where their defenses got lit up (relatively speaking). Austin Allen and Chad Kelly went for 400+ yards and 3 TDs apiece against Bama and I recall Sean White moving the ball pretty effectively against LSU in spurts. Chad Kelly and Trevor Knight also got their licks in against LSU. Georgia's defense got shredded by every above average quarterback they faced (Drew Lock, Chad Kelly, Joshua Dobbs). The way college football is currently structured, good quarterbacks playing behind effective offensive lines and throwing to talented weapons are usually successful. Auburn has the talent on the outside and in the trenches for JS to be successful. Not necessarily "program savior" or Heisman trophy winner but successful. 

5 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Let's be honest, even Bama and LSU had games last year where their defenses got lit up (relatively speaking). Austin Allen and Chad Kelly went for 400+ yards and 3 TDs apiece against Bama and I recall Sean White moving the ball pretty effectively against LSU in spurts. Chad Kelly and Trevor Knight also got their licks in against LSU. Georgia's defense got shredded by every above average quarterback they faced (Drew Lock, Chad Kelly, Joshua Dobbs). The way college football is currently structured, good quarterbacks playing behind effective offensive lines and throwing to talented weapons are usually successful. Auburn has the talent on the outside and in the trenches for JS to be successful. Not necessarily "program savior" or Heisman trophy winner but successful. 

Emphasis mine

Archived