Hilton Head Golf

Anyone spent time playing there? Will be there all next week with the family. We are staying in Sea Pines. Probably won't play HT because of its greens fees, and the fact that I'll likely be playing alone. I'd rather play that course with a close friend or my Dad. 

Heard RTJ at Palmetto Dunes is great. Heard Oyster Bay is good. Also Hilton Head National and Old South off-island. 

Any recommendations?

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Anyone spent time playing there? Will be there all next week with the family. We are staying in Sea Pines. Probably won't play HT because of its greens fees, and the fact that I'll likely be playing alone. I'd rather play that course with a close friend or my Dad. 

Heard RTJ at Palmetto Dunes is great. Heard Oyster Bay is good. Also Hilton Head National and Old South off-island. 

Any recommendations?

Sorry. No help from here. As a distance runner, I found great use for golf courses (and even once came in behind, but within sight of, Frank Shorter and Marty Liquori in cross-country - much of a fairway behind). I also found red cedars between fairways in So. Ala. as a rich source of potential Christmas trees (once even during a tournament, much to the chagrin of an old college buddy who was a greenskeeper at the time). As to Hilton Head, I've only known them as barriers to beaches.

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Sorry. No help from here. As a distance runner, I found great use for golf courses (and even once came in behind, but within sight of, Frank Shorter and Marty Liquori in cross-country - much of a fairway behind). I also found red cedars between fairways in So. Ala. as a rich source of potential Christmas trees (once even during a tournament, much to the chagrin of an old college buddy who was a greenskeeper at the time). As to Hilton Head, I've only known them as barriers to beaches.

Man, I love your posts. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Any recommendations?

I am a fisherman and detest golfers. Used to fish the Callaway lakes and Saugahatchee at Grand National. You jerk golfers hit balls in the water toward us. We do not cast our fishing lures at you. 

41 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I am a fisherman and detest golfers. Used to fish the Callaway lakes and Saugahatchee at Grand National. You jerk golfers hit balls in the water toward us. We do not cast our fishing lures at you. 

It's never the golfer's fault. Always the ball's. At least, that's how I see it. 

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I use to like you..........................key word use

Played a ton in HH all the courses you mention are good not a fan of Old South. Just me. Too bad your not playing HT course it is in my top 5 to play and played it a number of times.  Shipyard use to be fun to play and not overly hard......RTJ Palmetto is really fun to play if you play from the tips its a great test of golf.

Really you can't go wrong with any of them.

And did I mention the food..............Hudson House seafood and Coligny Plaza Market Street Cafe, Greek Salad and breakfast. Wife and I have so many great memories at HH played some of the best golf in my life there.

You will really enjoy it barn 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I use to like you..........................key word use

I still like you Golf. Would think you are good enough to not hit balls at me. Should have said detest bad golfers by water. BTW, Grand National Clubhouse has the best Reuben sandwich anywhere IMHO. Salads are great also, especially the grilled salmon.  

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I still like you Golf. Would think you are good enough to not hit balls at me. Should have said detest bad golfers by water. BTW, Grand National Clubhouse has the best Reuben sandwich anywhere IMHO. Salads are great also, especially the grilled salmon.  

Which one?? And yes my balls have landed in the water a few time>:D

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Which one?? And yes my balls have landed in the water a few time>:D

bet that was smarts if you landed wrong. my lures never hit a green. Grand National, Opelika, The Clubhouse or whatever you guys call it. Big white house. elevated, nice porch all around it. big fireplace inside. cold beer but no PBR

17 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

bet that was smarts if you landed wrong. my lures never hit a green. Grand National, Opelika, The Clubhouse or whatever you guys call it. Big white house. elevated, nice porch all around it. big fireplace inside. cold beer but no PBR

thanks fisherman

I went to HH last year. Week of the fourth. I, for the life of me, can't remember the area we stayed but the village was on two courses. The Westin hotel on the beach was the center of it. That is where we checked in. I played one round. It was miserable. Walked up and expected to be put with another two or threesome. I have met many interesting people like that. Anyway it was near 100degrees. They told me it would be an hour till I could get in, all tee times full. I found out on the range one course had a tournament going it was the better of the two. Pretty much wore myself out hitting balls till tee time went to starter and he said I was due on the tee immediately playing alone?. I caught the first group on the seventh or eighth hole a twosome then played through one more foursome till I hit a logjam on the sixteenth. These two guys invited me to play in with them but said I must remove my visor" Auburn " visor. Looked at their cart. One UGA bag one Turd bag. But they were cool old dudes. Anyway the last 3 holes took about 90 minutes after the first 15 took about the same. I was wearing new shoes that were effing killing me. And pissed because they made me wait an hour when the course was obviously empty. The deal I had through the villa golf would be much cheaper each time you played but I had enough. Shark fished on the beach rest of trip. Caught several little sharks, stingrays and one sea turtle..

On 6/2/2017 at 5:48 PM, augolf1716 said:

Played a ton in HH all the courses you mention are good not a fan of Old South. Just me. Too bad your not playing HT course it is in my top 5 to play and played it a number of times.  Shipyard use to be fun to play and not overly hard......RTJ Palmetto is really fun to play if you play from the tips its a great test of golf.

Really you can't go wrong with any of them.

And did I mention the food..............Hudson House seafood and Coligny Plaza Market Street Cafe, Greek Salad and breakfast. Wife and I have so many great memories at HH played some of the best golf in my life there.

You will really enjoy it barn 

Ended up booking a tee time at Oyster Reef, a Rees Jones design. I was going to play Heron Point in Sea Pines, but found out that they've just punched all of their greens, which sucks, because I've seen the course and it is in unbelievable shape. Same for the RTJ course at Palmetto Dunes, they punched theirs today. I've heard good things about Oyster Reef, though, and it was less expensive than the Sea Pines courses. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Lemme know if you have any non-golf travel notes...

Will do. We'll be back on Saturday, and I'll be happy to share what I learned. First time here. Really like it. 

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Ended up booking a tee time at Oyster Reef, a Rees Jones design. I was going to play Heron Point in Sea Pines, but found out that they've just punched all of their greens, which sucks, because I've seen the course and it is in unbelievable shape. Same for the RTJ course at Palmetto Dunes, they punched theirs today. I've heard good things about Oyster Reef, though, and it was less expensive than the Sea Pines courses. 

Heron Point is a really good course to bad they were aerating the greens

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, but I'd like to.

Can't help you then unless you want to pay some bucks for courts. Ok as for non golf things to do fish,tennis eat, drink, shop, eat, drink, drink, eat, shop, shop

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Can't help you then unless you want to pay some bucks for courts. Ok as for non golf things to do fish,tennis eat, drink, shop, eat, drink, drink, eat, shop, shop

I can work with that.

@McLoofus

Got back on Saturday evening. We loved Hilton Head, even after spending an entire week with my in-laws. We rented a house in the Sea Pines Community. If we went back, I would 10/10 rent there again. Its probably pricier than most other places on the island, but if you rent a home that isn't within the first several rows from the beach, you can get a lot more value. Sea Pines is a private community with an established network of biking trails. We rented bikes for the entire week, and rode them around the area - to some of the restaurants, shopping, Harbour Town, etc. We rode them to the beach and back every day. It was very convenient, and the area is beautiful. 

The beach was very nice. You aren't going to get the white powdered sand that you would on the gulf, but it was a lot better than other places that I've been on the east coast. Not many shells, just more of a brown sand. The beach has a very gentle slope toward the ocean, and the tide fluctuates between about 100 or more yards. The result is a lot of relatively flat, hard packed sand, which is great for walking, running, biking, or whatever else you'd like to do. We always bring a bocci ball set to the beach, and it was perfect for that. It was also good for my 18 month-old niece, who could walk on the beach with ease. The water was calm and warm. It's very family and kid friendly. 

Almost everywhere we ate was fantastic. Highlights include - Lowcountry Backyard; One Hot Mama's; CQ's; Salty Dog Cafe; Skull Creek Boathouse; Giusseppi's Pizza. We really didn't have a bad meal the entire week, and we didn't feel like we were getting gorged on prices as much as some other tourist destinations. 

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the golfing options are great. I only played one, Oyster Reef, which was great, but you could spend two weeks there and not play all the good courses. 

We also took a booze cruise through the Salty Dog one night, and it was probably the best part of the trip. Full bar and appetizers plus a really talented musician. I'll posts some pics below, including some dolphins that we saw. 

Anyway, I'd recommend it to anyone, especially staying in the Sea Pines area. 

52A1jav5qneGUWeyUFSbKeIY6SLwcB4GNKjHTX_rJYBVCZkv9kCSKStihmjJvPGspQoqnkNUI50zbIzywOa4AM8Xau2zfQvQL42Iya2GYOVWCcWQjcx7VxYOew7EL8ZcHJmf-z76hZlN11pJJsIBFDoFLe9DJt5B

Dolphin:hSPBlsxdidybiVwijjtmUTu0sx1AWG71bNX-6NbR

Skull Creek Boathouse - GREAT spot for food and live music. R-t3LZ8A5V7oBAvTqoAHCsYUJQACoFj2gJ9gmQqq

Niece just hanging out:IHiWM01LIZJ5D8v12hHtbl5TcFM5IP9Hhc2mxzBq

Oyster Reef: EvpqOzrOBNfmMc3t_F5J6O-wn9oXgcCABY2s4Z8G

Archived