graduate transfer offensive linemen

aubiefifty

Auburn got what it expected so far from graduate transfer offensive linemen

Posted on June 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM

Early impressions indicate Auburn got exactly what it expected in adding graduate transfer offensive linemen Casey Dunn and Wilson Bell.

The duo arrived on campus roughly four weeks ago and the first-impression during summer workouts is much of what one would expect from fifth-year players with starting experience.

"You can tell they're mature guys," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Thursday before speaking at his Ambush tour stop at Lake Martin. "You can tell that they've played a lot of football. They're veteran guys; that's the reason we brought them in.

"They're both real fine young men too. Of course, that's important too."

Both are expected to compete for starting jobs, with the 6-foot-5, 355 pound Bell a virtual lock at one of the guard positions.

Last month, offensive line coach Herb Hand said he expected Bell, who started five games at right guard from Florida State last season and every game in 2015, to be a "major contributor."

The 6-foot-4, 292 pound Dunn, an FCS All-American at Jacksonville State, should be no worse than the backup center. He could end up starting, which would bump Austin Golson to left guard, a position that Auburn ended spring practice with an open competition.

"Obviously you got to earn things," Malzahn said. "We brought the two fifth-year guys in for depth and they'll be competing for playing time. So there will be some good competition early.

"If you remember in the spring, coach Hand strategically moved people around to gather information to mix and match. ... Then obviously you want five guys in the same position sooner rather than later. So that'll be a big thing early in fall camp."

Hand needs to have the o-line figured out and ready to go game one this year,as well as CL and the entire offense.We can't wait until three or four games into the season.

I do not like calling Bell a "virtual lock at one of the guard positions" when after being a starter he looses his job to a true Freshman!! And then could not get it back from a RSF when the starter went down with injury. I do hope he adds depth. 

Kinda like putting the cart before the horse. 

6 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I do not like calling Bell a "virtual lock at one of the guard positions" when after being a starter he looses his job to a true Freshman!! And then could not get it back from a RSF when the starter went down with injury. I do hope he adds depth. 

Kinda like putting the cart before the horse. 

Especially when he came in 35 lb's overweight 

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Nothing like running wind sprints in the morning, treadmill at lunch, and end off with an evening dessert of running up and down hills or the sand pit in June and July.

On 6/10/2017 at 8:56 AM, auburnphan said:

I am just hoping for solid depth, if they become more than that great.  You can never have enough depth on the offensive line.

You can never have too many competent Centers imo. The O can go south quick if you lose a center and dont have a serviceable backup.

On 6/10/2017 at 6:56 PM, augolf1716 said:

And couldn't start on an o-line that was one of the worst lines in the nation.

Graduate transfers on the o-line really worry and I I think it's not the best idea.  O-line typically take at least a year or two to be ready.  It isn't a plug and play like DB's or WR's.  I understand the depth concerns, but I didn't see what was wrong with our depth beforehand.  Who knows, they could turn out like Blake Countess did for us.  

On 6/10/2017 at 5:56 PM, augolf1716 said:

Nothing says, thanks for the kind words to your new position coach, like showing up overweight. I am sure CHH is not all pleased with Bell and has talked with strength and conditioning coach Russell. 

Surprised that both Bell and Ashley both came in way overweight.  I had hoped they might both be in a position to potentially start but that does not bode well for them.  

All this changing of positions and grad transfers is really worrisome to me. We have 3 returning starters at LT,C, and RG. We needed to fill the LG and RT positions. Through all the grad transfer talk and player moving position talk, we could potentially have a new starter at each position. A freshman of some type at LT, Golson at LG, Dunn at C, Bell at RG and Smith at RT. Whatever continuity we would have carried over from the previous year we would have lost. I know that Golson and Smith are starters but in this scenario they are in new positions and  based on what I have read I don't think this will happen but it is not out of the realm of possibility. I have to be honest, it has disaster written all over it IMO.

Showing up over weight and out of shape is never a good sign. Expect he has a lot of ground to make up ....but lots of "potential" depth now.

I still think the gem is Dunn. The guy showed up at playing weight. He had a good FCS career. At WORST he is a leader among the lineman, starter or not. I know people say he is undersized and playing FCS and SEC is like The original Dream Team playing in the Olympics, but let's just wait and see what happens in the August. 

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I still think the gem is Dunn. The guy showed up at playing weight. He had a good FCS career. At WORST he is a leader among the lineman, starter or not. I know people say he is undersized and playing FCS and SEC is like The original Dream Team playing in the Olympics, but let's just wait and see what happens in the August. 

He looked damn good playing against an SEC team in JHS in 2015. 

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He looked damn good playing against an SEC team in JHS in 2015. 

That was nowhere close to an SEC defense at that point in the season.  The were still learning the proper attitude at that point, but they did improve.

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

That was nowhere close to an SEC defense at that point in the season.  The were still learning the proper attitude at that point, but they did improve.

No matter what kind of learning our players had yet to do, we had a vast talent advantage over JSU. We weren't a bama or LSU, but Dunn was lined up against future NFL talent that day.

Their offense was very effective at neutralizing a pass rush by getting rid of the ball quickly and getting their very mobile and very good QB out of the pocket- hopefully our offense will now do some of the same- but still, Dunn stood up Monty Adams and several other guys all day. Also, we're talking about a center, so intelligence is a huge factor. Reese Dismukes didn't win the Rimington for his physique or athleticism. 

4 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

All this changing of positions and grad transfers is really worrisome to me. We have 3 returning starters at LT,C, and RG. We needed to fill the LG and RT positions. Through all the grad transfer talk and player moving position talk, we could potentially have a new starter at each position. A freshman of some type at LT, Golson at LG, Dunn at C, Bell at RG and Smith at RT. Whatever continuity we would have carried over from the previous year we would have lost. I know that Golson and Smith are starters but in this scenario they are in new positions and  based on what I have read I don't think this will happen but it is not out of the realm of possibility. I have to be honest, it has disaster written all over it IMO.

Your not the only one it is worrisome to,I would prefer that Golson and Smith not change positions unless there is absolutely no choice.But I could also be wrong.

At this point, i guess we have to trust Hand, in his getting the Line ready for their first game. Either that or worry until September get here. There's a lot of new cogs in the formula this year and if that line isn't ready, then not much else will matter.

3 hours ago, kd4au said:

Your not the only one it is worrisome to,I would prefer that Golson and Smith not change positions unless there is absolutely no choice.But I could also be wrong.

Agree 1,000% when it comes to Golson. I don't want him to move. Smith i'm less worried about because he's versatile. However, for the sake of continuity, it would be nice for our returning starters to remain at their positions from last year and fill the other two. 

I also agree with kd4au in that we need to get the positions on the Oline nailed down quickly. It was ok to mix and match during spring to see where guys were at but i don't want to waste time getting guys in places so we can start to prepare for game 1 and so that JS has as many reps as possible with his starting Oline and the backups now their roles as well.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

No matter what kind of learning our players had yet to do, we had a vast talent advantage over JSU. We weren't a bama or LSU, but Dunn was lined up against future NFL talent that day.

Their offense was very effective at neutralizing a pass rush by getting rid of the ball quickly and getting their very mobile and very good QB out of the pocket- hopefully our offense will now do some of the same- but still, Dunn stood up Monty Adams and several other guys all day. Also, we're talking about a center, so intelligence is a huge factor. Reese Dismukes didn't win the Rimington for his physique or athleticism. 

God almighty how depressing

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

God almighty how depressing

Yeah, I don't want to watch that AU team ever again. But Dunn does look pretty good.  Whether he will be solid depth or a starter, I'm glad he's wearing O&B!

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

We're just lucky they didn't play for the win in regulation.

crap I forgot about that but your correct. I couldn't believe they did that. WE were gassed 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

crap I forgot about that but your correct. I couldn't believe they did that. WE were gassed 

:(

I actually feel bad for their coach about it. Not bad enough that I wish they'd won, though.

Archived