scrimmage updates?

gr82b4au

CGM is compensating for the past on this. Can't over exuberantly declare a starter too early (JJ) Can't rotate qb's opening day (Clemson), So somewhere in between. If I was buying squares, I'd put my chips on Friday, August 25th

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malik Willis though...a true underdog. Might be my favorite player on the squad besides JS.

BTW: Danny Etling had a terrible scrimmage apparently. The corndogs are melting.

It is nice to have two capable QBs at the helm and a potential third.

This is where people lose interest in coach interviews. There isn't an Auburn fan in this country who doesn't know Stidham will be the starter.

What ever happened to Woody Barrett? Glad to hear Willis is doing well. I wish Sean would transfer to somewhere that would use his skill set correctly and where his size wouldn't matter. He would thrive in UCF's conference or even at Troy/UAB/USA anywhere smaller but still division 1.

5 minutes ago, War Knight said:

This is where people lose interest in coach interviews. There isn't an Auburn fan in this country who doesn't know Stidham will be the starter.

What ever happened to Woody Barrett? Glad to hear Willis is doing well. I wish Sean would transfer to somewhere that would use his skill set correctly and where his size wouldn't matter. He would thrive in UCF's conference or even at Troy/UAB/USA anywhere smaller but still division 1.

To be fair, SW can play power 5 football. I don't know where this underdog story comes from (not saying you are stating this). He is under size for the SEC, you are correct with that. However, He was rated a 4 star QB. He was ranked #2 by ESPN for all Pro-style QBs. Selected for the UA All-American game. Elite 11 participant and MVP.  

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

I really don't care if he struggles or not. I am more baffled at people calling him overrated and saying he won't make it after a very successful true freshman year. These same people worship NM feet, yet Jalen Hurts as a true freshman arguably has thrown the ball better than NM did in his whole tenure at AU.

giphy.gif

At the very least, let the kid play multiple years before you call him overrated. Be logical fans. Anywho, back to regular programming. Name JS the starter and let's let the team get behind him.

Wasn't directing a post at u. Just saying that IMO  he will struggle.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

To be fair, SW can play power 5 football. I don't know where this underdog story comes from (not saying you are stating this). He is under size for the SEC, you are correct with that. However, He was rated a 4 star QB. He was ranked #2 by ESPN for all Pro-style QBs. Selected for the UA All-American game. Elite 11 participant and MVP.  

Agreed wholeheartedly. Just, if I were him, at this point in my career I would go to more of a low pressure conference where I could be THE guy. Someone like Oklahoma, Stanford, and many ACC teams would be fortunate to have him.

Love the dude and I'll always pull for him. He just can't push it far enough down field for our offense.

11 minutes ago, War Knight said:

Are you saying SunBelt? Is that a Viper in WarKnight clothing?

Just now, fredst said:

Are you saying SunBelt? Is that a Viper in WarKnight clothing?

I'm a UCF alum...a man can dream ?

4 minutes ago, War Knight said:

Agreed wholeheartedly. Just, if I were him, at this point in my career I would go to more of a low pressure conference where I could be THE guy. Someone like Oklahoma, Stanford, and many ACC teams would be fortunate to have him.

Love the dude and I'll always pull for him. He just can't push it far enough down field for our offense.

I would love to see him at a big12 school, tbh

2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I was there as I posted earlier.  First JS is the starter and it's not close. Kid had a very good day. I question who is number 2 SW or MW. MW Def looked like our number 2 qb today.

As for the post that said White had a good day I dont know where that info came from. White was average at best. Had 1 long TD drive. Should have been picked 2 times and imo MW should be our number 2. I know I will probably rethink that statement due to having a 4th year junior that is a veteran as a backup is a very good thing, but MW looks better to me as our number 2. Now this is a scrimmage...

One thing is certain JS is and will be our starter and will be very good.

Of course, you just knew that JFIII was the best QB on the team last season.  I don't doubt that Stidham is the clear number 1.  But your evaluation of SW has been less than accurate (ie, piss poor).

wde

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

Oh Def in coaches minds SW is number 2 atm. I was just giving my opinion. It also helps us with JF is SW stays #2.

I'm starting to get the sense that White will be the "official" number 2 guy, and would be the guy who came in for JS if were to get dinged up a bit and miss a drive. But if JS were to go down for the year, I feel like Willis might be the guy to take the reigns. So in that sense they might both be the number 2 guy.

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

BTW: Danny Etling had a terrible scrimmage apparently. The corndogs are melting.

Let em melt then!

:flame::corndog:

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

Malik Willis though...a true underdog. Might be my favorite player on the squad besides JS.

It is nice to have two capable QBs at the helm and a potential third.

Nothing taste worse than a stale corndog period. I hope Brandon Harris tears it up at UNC & shows the corndogs that he is a very good QB. I was surprised that Coach O did not retain Emsminger on his staff. He did about as good of a job play calling as Canada could. We shall see what takes place.

2 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Hurts was a true freshman last year. He has room to grow. 

Yes he does. And he makes plays when they break down. And he scores when needed. He is a great College QB. But he'll never be more than a 3rd String NFL QB.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

At the very least, the kid play multiple years before you call him overrated.

You have to admit, he is drastically overrated by the media. Athalon calls him the #1 QB in the SEC. Numerous writers called for him to be included in Heisman talk last year. He's treated as if he's already done great things, when his numbers show that he's not yet reached that level. However, Bama is so used to game managers, that he looks like a star playing for them.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

You have to admit, he is drastically overrated by the media. Athalon calls him the #1 QB in the SEC. Numerous writers called for him to be included in Heisman talk last year. He's treated as if he's already done great things, when his numbers show that he's not yet reached that level. However, Bama is so used to game managers, that he looks like a star playing for them.

I am not going to admit anything. He played great as a true freshman. He did all they asked him to do. Stop hating on him. The kid has good character. Very humble. Does all the right things. He can't help with the media says about him. Like I said, half of you guys love NM, Yet he is putting up NM numbers as a TRUE FRESHMAN and you guys want to downplay it. It is a terrible state of mind. But I don't even want to get in this argument.

5 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Gus needs to kiss SW's ass every day.  White made the best of piss poor coaching from Gus and Rhett.

No. White needs to kiss the path Gus walks on to allow him to attend a SEC school when no other would allow him to. Gus' main fault was misjudging Johnson, which gave White the privilege, and I mean the privilege, of being an Auburn starting QB. That time has long since passed.

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Of course, you just knew that JFIII was the best QB on the team last season.  I don't doubt that Stidham is the clear number 1.  But your evaluation of SW has been less than accurate (ie, piss poor).

wde

I've seen others say this but the way I remember it was @austudnt23 said Gus was pushing for JFIII to start because Gus felt like he could only win with a running QB. 

1 minute ago, AU80cruiser said:

I've seen others say this but the way I remember it was @austudnt23 said Gus was pushing for JFIII to start because Gus felt like he could only win with a running QB. 

which was true.  a RUNNING qb. Not dual threat smh

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I really don't care if he struggles or not. I am more baffled at people calling him overrated and saying he won't make it after a very successful true freshman year.

What is "it"? ($1 to Faith No More).

Just now, AU80cruiser said:

I worded it that way so there would be no misunderstanding of me exaggerating JFIII abilities.

It is very accurate, Unfortunately. Either way. We Gucci now. We got three very capable QBs.

17 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

No I didn't say Gus feels he can only win with running qb. I did say he prefers one. I believe i said i felt that way. CHIP has me believeing though that we can have a great offense with a heisman finalist in the backfield. CGM is one of the greatest offensove minds in the country he had just fotten too stubborn in his ways. There were many issues at play as to why JF3 was given every opportunity and the coaches would hAve liked for him too. One was of course he fit the scheme Malzahn wanted to run better but I assure you there were other reasons.

Archived