***FINAL: Auburn 24 Mercer 10***

RunInRed

Just now, cole256 said:

Now it's a trendy thing to say. When I first said it I caught a little hate from a couple of posters. It's all good though! We're trailblazers on this forum

Definitely. I'd like to think that we are about as influential as the first dude to call shotgun. 

It's a mutiny, I tell you, a mutiny!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am more than willing to criticize Gus when he deserves it.  The asinine play calling vs Clemson for instance - totally deserved.  But today Auburn came out throwing and didn't rest on the running game.  Stidham was efficient.  The WRs made some nice catches.  The short and intermediate passing game was worked on.

But there were 5 turnovers - four fumbles and one INT that I think NCM probably should have worked harder to prevent.  And though there weren't a ton of penalties, the ones that happened came at the worst moments.  If Auburn was a consistently undisciplined team that committed lots of turnovers and penalties, I'd say that's on the coach but we aren't.  For instance, we had maybe 1 turnover vs Ga Southern and none vs Clemson.  Today was just a bad day and I expect some extra running and ball handling drills this week.  One game of that uncharacteristic play isn't coaching, it's players that need to get with it.

I will stick with what I said earlier this week - these four games are about getting better, not doing the easy stuff to get a win only to run into the same problems we had at Clemson vs LSU, UGA and Alabama.  I think we had a good plan to do that this week but shot ourselves in the foot with sloppy ball handling.  If that becomes a pattern it's a problem but one game isn't a pattern.

31 minutes ago, CullmanTiger said:

Tough game to watch, Pettway will run the wildcat the rest of the season, how many carries do RB's not named Pettway or KJ have this year.

Does your question include WR on the jet sweep?  

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

Yes. Flipping through channels seeing regular teams playing regular football and hearing the broadcasters not having to wth the whole time. Nevermind good or bad, we don't even fit in.

Doesn't look promising. Here's how I see it:

Mizzou - Win, but we'll have to play an insane level of defense to keep it from being a high scoring game. Their defense is atrocious.

Moo State - Loss, possibly by double digits. We have a substantially better roster but we will he entirely out coached.

Ole Sis - Win, were really bad but Ole Sis is even worse. I'd be shocked if they beat us.

LSU - Loss, definitely double digits. Their defense will make us look like we did against Clemson.

Arkansas - Loss, and it's going to be an ugly one as we watch that fat pig of a coach chuckle wearing red he'll look like Santa's ugly step brother.

Texas A&M - Loss, we don't play them well. Should be somewhat close but after playing LSU and Arky in losses we are reeling at this point.

Georjaw - Loss, I'm so f'n tired of losing to these average bulldog teams.

LA-Monroe - win but it's similar to today's game.

Alabama - Loss, one of the worst ones in the last decade. Defense plays lights out but the offense provides no relief. 

(5-7) Gus still keeps his job

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

I can't wait to hear what Gus says when someone asks him why he didn't play any other running backs

The follow up better be why we waste top level TE talent by giving them 20 catches in their entire career. 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think it's two games in a row without any substitution. Maybe a play or two....this is BEFORE we even start SEC play Smh

I was giving you a hard time but I totally agree it just blows my mind we run our RB so many times and now we are throwing to same said RB and he gets hit time and time again with zero and I mean zero substitution...no Kam no Marlik

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I am more than willing to criticize Gus when he deserves it.  The asinine play calling vs Clemson for instance - totally deserved.  But today Auburn came out throwing and didn't rest on the running game.  Stidham was efficient.  The WRs made some nice catches.  The short and intermediate passing game was worked on.

But there were 5 turnovers - four fumbles and one INT that I think NCM probably should have worked harder to prevent.  And though there weren't a ton of penalties, the ones that happened came at the worst moments.  If Auburn was a consistently undisciplined team that committed lots of turnovers and penalties, I'd say that's on the coach but we aren't.  For instance, we had maybe 1 turnover vs Ga Southern and none vs Clemson.  Today was just a bad day and I expect some extra running and ball handling drills this week.  One game of that uncharacteristic play isn't coaching, it's players that need to get with it.

I will stick with what I said earlier this week - these four games are about getting better, not doing the easy stuff to get a win only to run into the same problems we had at Clemson vs LSU, UGA and Alabama.  I think we had a good plan to do that this week but shot ourselves in the foot with sloppy ball handling.  If that becomes a pattern it's a problem but one game isn't a pattern.

We had 3 turnovers against Ga. Southern.

1 minute ago, Auburnfan91 said:

We had 3 turnovers against Ga. Southern.

Ok.  Nonetheless, lots of turnovers hasn't been a hallmark of Auburn teams the last 5 years, not counting the INT machine named Jeremy.

28 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

yeah he has a fast release and has the capability of progressing thru reads, but his brain seems to work relatively slow. I dont think Ive seen anything yet that would tell me I shouldn't just stack the edges and keep blitzing the life out of him. Neither play calling nor the tackles can handle it I believe 

That's pretty much the definition of "rusty".

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

We had 3 turnovers against Georgia Southern. We didn't have any against Clemson but we also had almost no offense. Typically guys trying to make plays is what leads to turnovers but we had nobody making plays. We also gave up 14 sacks the first two games where we only had 19 all last year. The offense is extremely sloppy through 3 games now. Gus deserves the criticism.

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I was giving you a hard time but I totally agree it just blows my mind we run our RB so many times and now we are throwing to same said RB and he gets hit time and time again with zero and I mean zero substitution...no Kam no Marlik

I didn't watch. Really no other backs got carries? 

Just now, nurbis said:

We had 3 turnovers against Georgia Southern. We didn't have any against Clemson but we also had almost no offense. Typically guys trying to make plays is what leads to turnovers but we had nobody making plays. We also gave up 14 sacks the first two games where we only had 19 all last year. The offense is extremely sloppy through 3 games now. Gus deserves the criticism.

The point is, we have not been a turnover prone team under Gus for the most part.  Or one that gets a ton of penalties.

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Saw kj and Malik play in high school, Malik has good hands too. Idk. Really hard to understand

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

When do you guys think Gus will offer his resignation 

Honestly. I start each day looking for a press conference like a kid peering over the bannister to see if santa clause came.

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

That's a reasonable analyis, but not playing any other RB's was inexcusable.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

That's a reasonable analyis, but not playing any other RB's was inexcusable.

I agree.  We did play them, we just didn't use them except for some passes to Devan Barrett.

Just now, aufan57 said:

Nope

Barrett did catch two swing passes. 

If anyone has a semi-reasonable explanation for this, please tell me what I might be missing. 

As an aside, how did KP look? Still not 100%?

We are supposed to put up 500 yards agaInst Mercer and we did.  86% by stidham would be good in a 7v7 game.  He still has problems but he threw for over 300 and 86% = improvement.

The defense got screwed again due to the turnovers.  Some of the playcalling was suspect.

running kp 34 times is idiotic.  Not running the other running backs is idiotic.  If he doesn't trust them in a tight game then they can't coach worth a crap.  We should have run this offense against ga south.

btw, im probably as disappointed in special teams as I am killing KP.

oh yea our OL was average at best unless - and I don't know how - a purposeful vanilla blocking scheme was partially to blame. 

23 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

That's a pretty bold statement to make that Gus has lost the team already. It could be a hangover it could be lack of execution. Rip Kodi all you want but it's up to the receivers to do their jobs and get open.

The ole hang over excuse . Didn't know that caused 5 turnovers and yes kodi is in over his head . Route running is bad and scramble drill for receiver are bad as well . (Those are very coachable attributes, texhnique)  I love the guy to as a past player but don't let that blind you. Those screens are working out really well too ?!?!?!? Great blocking !! Sarcasm

if your can't get the receivers to do there job you need to find another job . 

Also you just made my point . If the players aren't doing what you tell them to do , then you lost your players .

Archived