Last Chance

tigerbrotha12

Gus said, this week, that his thinking was that LSU couldn't score on our defense in the second half. And he was correct, but he forgot special teams. It blew me away that any football coach in the history of the world up by only 9 points would gameplan to go "conservative" on offense and try to win with only defense. It's like the man decided to not play offense because he just wanted to see if his defense could do it. 

What in the world was the mans goal with this is the question all of this fanbase is asking. If you believe the defense could hold them What other than pride do you have to gain by not trying to score more points? What is the difference between a nine point win and a 20 point win? They are BOTH a win, and an attitude to attain a 20 point win put you at far less of a risk to let the other team hang around enough to win. 

Auburn should be #7 in the country right now headed to Arkansas building confidence and ready to strike at TAMU, UGA, and UAT. 

It would be like me at a job saying "our profits are up from last quarter at this time, but to finish out the quarter, I want to see if we can can still break even if we are closed 3 days out of the week."

I'm throwing away my entire offensive business strategy and hoping that enough people come in to make up for my expenses. If I made a boneheaded decision like this, I would be fired Monday morning with a note on my desk that said "what the h*ll were you thinking." 

HAVING SAID ALL OF THAT: I know the mood will be different if Gus beats TAMU + UGA and/or UAT, and goes to an sec champ. Or wins a big time bowl game like cotton or capital one. That is why currently, I am not on the Gus Bus. I think the man should be fired at the end of the season, however, I do believe that if he proves me wrong and wins these games, he can still save his job. He, however, must show that he has truly had an epiphany as to how to manage a game and having a thinking of "attack" rather than "hope we don't lose." 

Great post sir. I’d go one step further though and say that, barring major catastrophe, I think Gus retains his job at year end. I don’t think that bar is even set at an SEC title game for that to happen matter of fact. For a variety of reasons, I think odds are he stays. 

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Great post sir. I’d go one step further though and say that, barring major catastrophe, I think Gus retains his job at year end. I don’t think that bar is even set at an SEC title game for that to happen matter of fact. For a variety of reasons, I think odds are he stays. 

thanks for ruining my day

I honestly feel that no matter how the season finishes, he should be gone. What we have seen is coaching ineptitude. It will return with every season. That said, I feel that if Gus wins 1 of the big 2 (Georgia and Bama) he will retain his job. 

The only way I will buy a cheap economy class ticket to get back on the Gus bus is if we win out from here, beat UGA again in the SEC game. 

And...................

Squeak into the final four teams and win it all. 

Natty or Bust!! LOL

Ain't gonna happen so.....................he needs to be gone.

38 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

For a variety of reasons, I think odds are he stays. 

Gus should've been fired Monday, plain and simple. It was the culmination of years of poor performances, and poor decision-making. Many seem to have lost 100% confidence in him.

But lets say they keep him after this year and fire him 2018-- in 2018 we're most likely competing for a coach with the likes of LSU, Florida, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M.  This season it's Arkansas, Missouri, and probably Tennessee.  Much easier competition of getting a quality coach in 2017.

Unfortunately, I think he stays barring a Chiz type meltdown. I think it would take losing to aTm, uga, and bama to set up a "win your bowl game or you're gone" type of scenario. Even then it is iffy.

I was very late to step off the Gus Bus for many reasons but I'm off now. That said if he wins the rest of the games except Ga. or Bama (has to beat one or the other) even though he should be fired he will not be fired. The only way they go ahead and let him go is if they know for sure they have a proven head coach waiting to come to Auburn. Reading the post about who should come to Auburn makes me believe there isn't one. Right or wrong Gus's defense will be we lost early to Clemson with a rusty QB. We lost to LSU because of three bad plays and some bad officiating ( he will leave out the running up the middle the whole second half part) and then if Alabama or Ga. beats us he will say they are a top 3 team. And we beat the other that was a top 3 team. The people making the decisions don't read message boards and don't look at things the way we fans do. Like it or not Gus still has a path to keep his job.  

2 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

Unfortunately, I think he stays barring a Chiz type meltdown. I think it would take losing to aTm, uga, and bama to set up a "win your bowl game or you're gone" type of scenario. Even then it is iffy.

you are killing my will to live

its a lot easier to pay Gus to coach up than stay home and add another unproven head coach, keep the recruits and relationships. There isn't a homerun hire out there right now. Catch 22.

I bet if we played LSU again we would win 45-10. A lot can happen over the next 6 weeks lets just hope it doesn't involve Auburn other than us winning

Basically Gus will have to reinvent himself, see a psychologist or listen to his coaches.

I think he should be gone no matter what. I don't trust the man anymore. How do we know this genius isn't going to treat us to some other pride-induced brainfart and cost us a game down the road? Or next season? I thought he would have learned his lesson when Chip was orchestrating 50+ point games: "Gee. I should just let him be." How hard is that? But instead we go up by 20 and he just can't help himself. It defies reason to go conservative at any point in the third or 4th quarter (unless you're up by 20 with three minutes to play, not freakin 30!), much less after watching your 20 point lead evaporate, but he thought it was a good idea. I just don't want that level of intellect on our sidelines anymore. I fully expect him to find creative ways to screw us until we fire him.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Gus said, this week, that his thinking was that LSU couldn't score on our defense in the second half. And he was correct, but he forgot special teams. It blew me away that any football coach in the history of the world up by only 9 points would gameplan to go "conservative" on offense and try to win with only defense. It's like the man decided to not play offense because he just wanted to see if his defense could do it. 

What in the world was the mans goal with this is the question all of this fanbase is asking. If you believe the defense could hold them What other than pride do you have to gain by not trying to score more points? What is the difference between a nine point win and a 20 point win? They are BOTH a win, and an attitude to attain a 20 point win put you at far less of a risk to let the other team hang around enough to win. 

Auburn should be #7 in the country right now headed to Arkansas building confidence and ready to strike at TAMU, UGA, and UAT. 

It would be like me at a job saying "our profits are up from last quarter at this time, but to finish out the quarter, I want to see if we can can still break even if we are closed 3 days out of the week."

I'm throwing away my entire offensive business strategy and hoping that enough people come in to make up for my expenses. If I made a boneheaded decision like this, I would be fired Monday morning with a note on my desk that said "what the h*ll were you thinking." 

HAVING SAID ALL OF THAT: I know the mood will be different if Gus beats TAMU + UGA and/or UAT, and goes to an sec champ. Or wins a big time bowl game like cotton or capital one. That is why currently, I am not on the Gus Bus. I think the man should be fired at the end of the season, however, I do believe that if he proves me wrong and wins these games, he can still save his job. He, however, must show that he has truly had an epiphany as to how to manage a game and having a thinking of "attack" rather than "hope we don't lose." 

Gus the Great ain't gonna beat A&M, UGA or bama. He'll he could very possibly lose to fat boy and the hogs.

What a dilemma to be in, having to root  for your team to win yet knowing if they do it just prolongs the agony. Its too bad it may take a season like the 2012 (3-9) for the lack of ticket sales, attendance and diminishing booster revenue to energize a change. Yet I also wish for a kind of miracle and Gus gets infused with some dynamic football wisdom and can continually out coach the competition. I also realize the wisdom boost is about as likely as me winning the power ball lottery.

6 minutes ago, auskull said:

What a dilemma to be in, having to root  for your team to win yet knowing if they do it just prolongs the agony. Its too bad it may take a season like the 2012 (3-9) for the lack of ticket sales, attendance and diminishing booster revenue to energize a change. Yet I also wish for a kind of miracle and Gus gets infused with some dynamic football wisdom and can continually out coach the competition. I also realize the wisdom boost is about as likely as me winning the power ball lottery.

If I win the powerball lottery, I will go pay his buyout, find him a realtor, call Mayflower Moving.....

Actually at that point, I'd have my people call their people and get it all done!!!LOL

His last chance was against LSU. 

Even if by a miracle, we happen to win out, you gotta believe that we’ll cough some games next year that we have no business losing. Inconsistency is probably the best word to describe Gus’s coaching antics. You never know when we’re going to lay a goose egg.

It’s time to move in a different direction.

28 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Gus the Great ain't gonna beat A&M, UGA or bama. He'll he could very possibly lose to fat boy and the hogs.

Against my moral compass, I'm kinda hoping Arkansas wins.??? Geez, is this where we are now? Like you, I just don't trust the man anymore.

When Gus said in the post game interview that the loss to LSU was not the end of the world, he was really telling everyone that he truly doesn't care if Auburn wins or not.

8 minutes ago, auskull said:

I just can't in all good consciousness root against Auburn. I'm a very simple man. 

Rooting against Auburn = Tough Love

Sometimes you've gotta go against the grain in order to make things better.  

3 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Rooting against Auburn = Tough Love

Sometimes you've gotta go against the grain in order to make things better.  

I won't root against Auburn, but lets just say if we take a beatdown these next few games I would not be upset about it knowing it will force change.

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

You misunderstood- I in no way implied I thought it would happen. I'm saying that's what Gus will have to do to prove to me that he has truly turned a corner. He is fired in my mind as of now. If he wants to not be fired, that's what he would need to do in my eyes 

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

i get to see Auburn play a football game only about 13 times a year so I think I'll refrain from pulling against them 

I'm with you. 

As far as the OP - I find it hard to believe that any coach will change his ways of coaching after many years in the business. Gus is who he is and he has proven that he will do things his way. It is his program. 

These next several weeks are going to be interesting for sure, one way or another. 

Archived