WS Game 5

aubearcat

For people that don't live around Houston, the Astros have literally helped this city heal and pick up the pieces from Harvey. There is more to life than sports, but sports can help restore life to people by just giving them something to cheer for.

Houston Strong.jpg

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I didn’t make it past 11:30ish myself. What a World Series. Both teams have a flare for making a comeback. The pitching hasn’t been as advertised other than one game though. 

Several amazing comebacks by both teams.....I'm expecting a replay of the game somewhere today and might get a chance to see the last few innings..  I'm not much on watching replays when I know the outcome but I'd make an exception in this case....the tension had to be something for batters and pitchers those last few innings.

And to see that HR by Altuve ....hit it after a long foul down the 3b line...most of the time after a near miss like that the batter pops out or gets a K chasing a ball in the dirt.   Pitcher threw a perfect hitter's pitch and the little guy did  not miss it the second time and tied the game when it looked like the Astros had let it get away.   Fabulous..... 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

And to see that HR by Altuve ....hit it after a long foul down the 3b line...most of the time after a near miss like that the batter pops out or gets a K chasing a ball in the dirt.  

Thought the exact same thing. Nor many times the batter smokes two straight pitches like that. The dude can play some baseball. There are several youngsters on the Astros that are budding stars. I wonder how they rank age wise.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Thought the exact same thing. Nor many times the batter smokes two straight pitches like that. The dude can play some baseball. There are several youngsters on the Astros that are budding stars. I wonder how they rank age wise.

Lots of young guys on both teams but In MLB seems that teams have a problem holding onto their young stars for very long which has made it almost impossible to build a dynasty now.   They can keep a few but you really have to have a pipeline to keep the string going because some are going to leave for the money and a team like Houston can't afford to keep them all.  

I love what McCann is doing....hitting is OK but he's playing the role that David Ross played for the Cubbies....an experienced veteran ....and former national leaguer too.....been working pretty well with the younger players and has been pretty solid. Don't recall how long he has been there but is giving them value in the WS...a few clutch hits and keeps things settled down. 

45 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Lots of young guys on both teams but In MLB seems that teams have a problem holding onto their young stars for very long which has made it almost impossible to build a dynasty now.   They can keep a few but you really have to have a pipeline to keep the string going because some are going to leave for the money and a team like Houston can't afford to keep them all.  

I love what McCann is doing....hitting is OK but he's playing the role that David Ross played for the Cubbies....an experienced veteran ....and former national leaguer too.....been working pretty well with the younger players and has been pretty solid. Don't recall how long he has been there but is giving them value in the WS...a few clutch hits and keeps things settled down. 

McCann’s cans!!  I’m watching PTI, they are saying the MLB is using new baseballs for WS and they are slicker. Have you seen anything about this? Are these baseballs juiced too? 

Speaking of juiced, watch this epic HR shot at the 00:35 mark.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

McCann’s cans!!  I’m watching PTI, they are saying the MLB is using new baseballs for WS and they are slicker. Have you seen anything about this? Are these baseballs juiced too? 

Yes.  I talked to a buddy today who should know or have a good idea.  He said the baseballs are "juiced".  He also said that pitchers are complaining about the slick finish. 

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Yes.  I talked to a buddy today who should know or have a good idea.  He said the baseballs are "juiced".  He also said that pitchers are complaining about the slick finish. 

I had heard that from some chatter during the games but who knows....or when it might have started....maybe all season if you look at some of the homerun numbers for the season.   Haven't looked for comparison but more guys in the 40s and 50s than I recall in quite a while.  

Usually the complaint is about the seams (lower/tighter)  that affects curve balls....quite a few hanging curves this week but some outstanding breaking stuff being displayed too so hard to figure if there is any problem....those 2-1 games earlier in the playoffs kind of shoot down the theory in my view.   BUT...does seem that the ball really carries in the dome when the roof is closed. 

It carried at Dodger stadium in game 2. I think we are just seeing the 2 best lineups 1-9 teeing off. 

The most beautiful homer to me (other than McCann's) was Springer.  He just made a run scoring error in the top half of the inning, and hits the first pitch he sees, and first pitch in the bottom half, about as far as he could.  Just perfect redemption.  

MLB channel doing the sort version of the game right now....showing highlights but enough of the game so you can get the flavor of the action....and heroics...  8-9 tonight...EDT

Watching the game again....getting just as amped as last night....some huge homeruns....

Altuve for 3 run dinger to tie the game..:)

Archived