Wiley and Purifoy

around4ever

14 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I actually thought Purifoy was underwhelming last year. 

I agree but some of that may have been due to the injury. 

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danjel hit his freshman wall early and then got injured to essentially derail his season. 

He averaged 17.5 ppg in his first 9 games for us. I love this Danjel.

This is where it looks like he hit his wall, he played in 5 more full games before getting injured -- in that 5 game stretch he only averaged 7.8 ppg. Then he got injured and when he came back he was not attacking the basket at all and was taking ill advised shots (like everyone else) and this is where the disappointment with him stems from IMO. So I get it, and maybe I'm blinded by that first 9 games but I think with another year he would be much closer to 17.5 ppg Danjel than 7.8 ppg Danjel.

On 1/4/2018 at 12:12 PM, Tiger said:

Wait what?

Just go make some money in the short term and prep for the NBA, guys. Jerking these kids around and leaving them in limbo is all kinds of unfair. 

I disagree.

Their families jerked them around.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Danjel hit his freshman wall early and then got injured to essentially derail his season. 

He averaged 17.5 ppg in his first 9 games for us. I love this Danjel.

This is where it looks like he hit his wall, he played in 5 more full games before getting injured -- in that 5 game stretch he only averaged 7.8 ppg. Then he got injured and when he came back he was not attacking the basket at all and was taking ill advised shots (like everyone else) and this is where the disappointment with him stems from IMO. So I get it, and maybe I'm blinded by that first 9 games but I think with another year he would be much closer to 17.5 ppg Danjel than 7.8 ppg Danjel.

Hopefully we will get to find out. But at this time it does not look to good.  The longer it takes to clear them the more impact it would have on team Chemistry if we were to get either of them back.

So the next question I have if by end of this month there is still no answer would it be worth it to bring them in in February and if it was worth it. How would you do it so as not toe hurt team chemistry. Wiley would be easiest as there are some teams that his size would really help against and keeping McLemore and Spencer fresher would be good but who would Purifoy take minutes from Okeke, Herron, Murray, Dunbar they are all playing physical and giving great effort on D, the boards and are all scoring and passing.

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Hopefully we will get to find out. But at this time it does not look to good.  The longer it takes to clear them the more impact it would have on team Chemistry if we were to get either of them back.

So the next question I have if by end of this month there is still no answer would it be worth it to bring them in in February and if it was worth it. How would you do it so as not toe hurt team chemistry. Wiley would be easiest as there are some teams that his size would really help against and keeping McLemore and Spencer fresher would be good but who would Purifoy take minutes from Okeke, Herron, Murray, Dunbar they are all playing physical and giving great effort on D, the boards and are all scoring and passing.

Yep, Wiley's size would be an immediate impact. Danjel would have to be worked in though because you really can't keep Murray off the floor because he does so much for us, Heron is playing solid as ever, and Okeke is excelling as a bench option (I freaking love this kid!!). Dunbar seems to be the least trustable player on the court but he brings a certain toughness and grit that is valuable to the squad-- especially the 2nd unit. 

Either way, our scout team might be the best in the nation with AW and DP lol

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yep, Wiley's size would be an immediate impact. Danjel would have to be worked in though because you really can't keep Murray off the floor because he does so much for us, Heron is playing solid as ever, and Okeke is excelling as a bench option (I freaking love this kid!!). Dunbar seems to be the least trustable player on the court but he brings a certain toughness and grit that is valuable to the squad-- especially the 2nd unit. 

Either way, our scout team might be the best in the nation with AW and DP lol

I agree as for Dunbar he had that one game with the two stupid technical fouls but since then he has played hard and seem to have a highlight slam every game that gets the team and the fans going. He is a big thick body which we need since we don't have the 7 footer types. He reminds me a little bit of Murray in how hard he plays. When I first saw we had signed Murray. I have to admit I was wondering what Bruce was doing sure 6'3" Power Forward from a weaker Basketball division. Until then I had complete faith in Bruce. That was my first doubt about Bruce. My doubt was misplaced boy o boy have Murray and Bruce both made me look the fool and I can't tell you how happy I am that I was wrong about Murray.

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree as for Dunbar he had that one game with the two stupid technical fouls but since then he has played hard and seem to have a highlight slam every game that gets the team and the fans going. He is a big thick body which we need since we don't have the 7 footer types. He reminds me a little bit of Murray in how hard he plays. When I first saw we had signed Murray. I have to admit I was wondering what Bruce was doing sure 6'3" Power Forward from a weaker Basketball division. Until then I had complete faith in Bruce. That was my first doubt about Bruce. My doubt was misplaced boy o boy have Murray and Bruce both made me look the fool and I can't tell you how happy I am that I was wrong about Murray.

Same here. I didn't think DeSean would play much for us but now I don't want to think about where we would be without him!!

FWIW it seems as though I either read or heard Bruce say that the "best 5 players would play" if/when either of our two hold-outs gained their eligibility. That tells me that he wouldn't be too gentle about re-acclimating either of the holdouts to playing time.

Are there any signs of these guys coming back? I’m with some of you, Wiley is an immediate impact down low. On a night when our shooting isn’t up to par, it really helps to have that. 

Just losing faith of either one playing this season or possibly ever at Auburn. 

Hoping for a surprise!

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, auburnphan said:

remember he was playing out of position all year.

I heard that a lot....kinda like that at 6'3, Murray's best position is power forward.  :)

I could accept that DP might have had some lingering effects from the injury but the idea that a blue chip guy with his credentials could only play one position....I just never bought into that....and sounds like maybe you did not either.  ...

6 minutes ago, boomstick said:

This may or may not say anything about our situation. My guess is that some teams will go ahead and have them sit out to save the year of eligibility.  I don't think we have any plans on doing that. If they become eligible they will play. I know at one point in Mid- Dec. Wiley told someone that he thought it would be done by that Sunday. Obviously that didn't happen but it makes me believe it could be any time.   

Inside the NCAA just tweeted that Wiley was ruled ineligible until next season. Didn't say anything about Purifoy. What are the chances that either or both stay for next year if they can't play until then? 

Interesting ... ..thought Wiley had the best chance of coming back....wonder if his family's AU connection was a big factor ?    Also wonder what that does to his draft status if anything ?.   As noted, might be better for him to try Europe or somewhere for the rest of the year.....practicing with the team is not much of an advantage if NBA is in his sights. 

Well this is hopeful & I've heard similar rumblings but take it with a grain of salt since a number of AU reporters expected Wiley to be eligible this season...

Just now, AU Is Gold said:

Hey guys, cheer up! We still have a 0.0359% of a successful appeal. There is hope.

If he comes back & we can somehow get Heron to come back next season this team will be stacked.

Just now, ellitor said:

If he comes back & we can somehow get Heron to come back next season this team will be stacked.

It will be something special for sure.

Archived