Peach Bowl could be historic

Gowebb11

On 12/4/2017 at 12:02 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Its just when we get to those moments where he's facing it every play that its just over with. Instead of rolling with the status quo, hit a reset button and use a QB who at the very least forces the other coordinator to reconsider what he's doing

I seem to recall trying that against bama. Willis was hit for a loss.

As much as we'd all like to go back to the days of Nick Marshal and Tre Mason being unstoppable, the pure read-option offense is no longer effective against good defenses, so until someone like Willis is ready to run the entire play book, putting them in there is just telling the D what we're going to run. Don't forget, he's a freshman and was a project QB to begin with. I expect to see more of him next year.

• WarTiger changed the title to Peach Bowl could be historic

8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I seem to recall trying that against bama. Willis was hit for a loss.

As much as we'd all like to go back to the days of Nick Marshal and Tre Mason being unstoppable, the pure read-option offense is no longer effective against good defenses, so until someone like Willis is ready to run the entire play book, putting them in there is just telling the D what we're going to run. Don't forget, he's a freshman and was a project QB to begin with. I expect to see more of him next year.

and thats what I was saying during the game and after. When Willis went in, they completely keyed on the run and there was wide open receivers. They stacked the entire box and Thats more than enough evidence in my mind that they couldve done the same thing against UGA and just broke tendencies. 

On December 3, 2017 at 11:27 PM, AUTUmike said:

Yep, Frost is sticking around to coach the bowl game. Nebraska's season is over, so I doubt they fought that too terribly hard. Honestly, Frost pulling an upset against Auburn would probably do more for Nebraska recruiting than if he went straight to Lincoln and started calling recruits.

Not so sure about that.  If I was Nebraska I would want Frost in Lincoln recruiting.  So what if Frost beats AU...good for Frost, not so much for Neb.  If Frost loses to AU then he doesn't look so much like the golden boy anymore and loses the recruiting time.  I'd say the odds are higher that AU blows out UCF than UCF beats AU.  Anyway, most big time programs don't want their new hire to stick around the old team for a meaningless bowl game.  Staying for a National Championship would be different.  

10 minutes ago, gulftiger66 said:

Not so sure about that.  If I was Nebraska I would want Frost in Lincoln recruiting.  So what if Frost beats AU...good for Frost, not so much for Neb.  If Frost loses to AU then he doesn't look so much like the golden boy anymore and loses the recruiting time.  I'd say the odds are higher that AU blows out UCF than UCF beats AU.  Anyway, most big time programs don't want their new hire to stick around the old team for a meaningless bowl game.  Staying for a National Championship would be different.  

I sure don't see it the way you have laid it out Gulf....   First, it's almost a  month until the bowl game...plenty of time to get new staff lined up and apparently he has already gotten a commitment from a Nebraska kid that the other staff did not offer.    He's not the only guy doing the recruiting and in fact his biggest recruiting job is with assistant coaches and having them do the leg work with recruits to see if they want to keep those committed to the previous staff. .

The team is undefeated and IMO at least, he owes it to those players to be with them until the end of their season. This an undefeated team and I guarantee that they don't see this game as "meaningless".  ....and I sure hope Auburn's players don't see it your way because that's how teams get upset.  

Frost has nothing to lose in the AU game....UCF will be the underdog playing a big SEC power that was one game away from a berth in the national championship.   If he wins....that's great and polishes his reputation and if he loses?....so what?   he was the underdog and not expected to win.   He's a hometown guy....played at Nebraska as you probably know and does not have to introduce himself to fans and alums and the community.    It was a great move by Nebraska to get him....not so sure however that it was his best next job but the lure of home is strong I guess.  

On 12/3/2017 at 11:27 PM, AUTUmike said:

Yep, Frost is sticking around to coach the bowl game. Nebraska's season is over, so I doubt they fought that too terribly hard. Honestly, Frost pulling an upset against Auburn would probably do more for Nebraska recruiting than if he went straight to Lincoln and started calling recruits.

Nebraska use to pull many kids out of Florida also. So staying in Florida he can probably recruit for Nebraska. That was one of the things that use to make Nebraska so good, they got a lot of kids from Texas, California, and Florida.

I'm really confused by what appears to be people actually looking for things to get upset about.  I do agree that we have some opportunities to improve our short to intermediate passing game with some quick slants, crosses and drags, but to act like we've been slighted on bowl games or got an unfair shake is not accurate, especially in light of the new landscape of bowls since the CFP.  

I think a lot is resentment of bama backing in that causes negativity that just has to be channeled at Gus for whatever reason.  We've got a good coach, good players and a program trending in the right direction.  Honestly, if football made me as miserable as some people sound around here, I'd truly find a new past time.  Life is way too short to go through it pissed off about things you really can't control. 

Just my .02

3 hours ago, GoAU said:

I'm really confused by what appears to be people actually looking for things to get upset about.  I do agree that we have some opportunities to improve our short to intermediate passing game with some quick slants, crosses and drags, but to act like we've been slighted on bowl games or got an unfair shake is not accurate, especially in light of the new landscape of bowls since the CFP. 

I just think people are annoyed that we're playing in Atlanta and that we got stuck with the token non-power 5 team. It feels a little too much like playing Memphis in Birmingham as a 6-6 team.

3 hours ago, GoAU said:

We've got a good coach, good players and a program trending in the right direction.  Honestly, if football made me as miserable as some people sound around here, I'd truly find a new past time.  Life is way too short to go through it pissed off about things you really can't control. 

Cannot agree with you more. I so don't get it either.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 12:06 AM, GwillMac6 said:

I blame gus for not being able to properly utilize the best pure passer Auburn has ever had. Gus inability to EVER be able to win a game with the pass against sec competition is disturbing. It gives me pause. It has been 5 seasons and he still cannot figure it out. The coaches never give stidham quick easy passes that are not the same screen play we run way too much. Using the middle of the field is a foreign concept to Gus. No matter who the QB is. Stidham, Nick, Malik hell even Cam gus has problems converting on third and long when we are in obvious passing situations. I think we are on the same page.

He used the pass against bama pretty darn well and also in first game against Georgia.  I think in the second game against Georgia there were other factors like playing 3 top teams (Ga. Twice) in a 4 week span, injuries, etc. I still have some issues with Gus but this year we had a great O with a passing QB and a very good running game. Would I like a few more intermediate passes and passes to backs out of the backfield yes but I am an arm Chair Coach and I realize Gus knows more about this teams strengths and weaknesses than I ever will. Gus totally outcoached Saban both planning for the game and during the game. How many coaches can say that.

56 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He used the pass against bama pretty darn well and also in first game against Georgia.  I think in the second game against Georgia there were other factors like playing 3 top teams (Ga. Twice) in a 4 week span, injuries, etc. I still have some issues with Gus but this year we had a great O with a passing QB and a very good running game. Would I like a few more intermediate passes and passes to backs out of the backfield yes but I am an arm Chair Coach and I realize Gus knows more about this teams strengths and weaknesses than I ever will. Gus totally outcoached Saban both planning for the game and during the game. How many coaches can say that.

I think for most people, at least for me, is building the weaknesses into strengths.  It's great to be able to interpret the strengths,  but without addressing the weaknesses you become predictable because that's the only horse you can ride. IMO that's Gus' biggest, most glaring flaw. 

On 12/3/2017 at 4:23 PM, Gowebb11 said:

We've played 4 games against Playoff teams and now face another undefeated UCF team. We have the chance to beat 3 previously undefeated teams in one season. (All unbeaten entering November) Not sure if that's ever been done. WDE???!!!

not to mention 3 straight games in Atlanta. Hope we close next year with 2 in Atlanta as well. 

Archived