The government is shutting down because Donald Trump doesn’t know what he’s doing

homersapien

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/19/16910296/government-shutdown-donald-trump-daca-immigration-2018-deal

Back in November 2016, the Electoral College, in its wisdom, selected a man to be president who 61 percent of voters felt was unqualified and 63 percent felt lacked the right temperament to be president. The voters were, of course, correct about Donald Trump, and the government shutdown stems from those facts.

Trump set the current crisis in motion last September when he revoked Barack Obama’s executive order that protected DREAMERs — young unauthorized immigrants brought to the US as children — from deportation, but he offered no guidance about what he wanted to happen next, other than for Congress to do ... something.

The lack of clarity emboldened immigration hardliners in the GOP caucus while simultaneously raising hopes for a deal among immigration reformers. But Trump’s intervening behavior wound up salting the earth by leaving everyone feeling that he might screw them over at any moment. Consequently, nobody is quite sure exactly who is shutting down the government or what it is the White House is trying to achieve by rejecting a bipartisan proposal that would avert a shutdown.

The country has mostly coped with Trump’s inability to do his job by outsourcing governance to congressional GOP leadership. But congressional Republicans are less unified on immigration than on most issues, and Trump is more invested in immigration than on most issues. Consequently, his actual personal leadership as president of the United States is critical to moving the system forward.

But the mere fact that the circumstances require Trump to act like a real president doesn’t change the fact that he’s a lazy, ill-informed conspiracy theorist prone to tweeting cryptic pronouncements about delicate policy issues based on Fox & Friends segments.

Welcome to 2018.

Mexico didn’t pay for the wall

As a candidate, Donald Trump loudly and frequently promised to “build a wall” on the US-Mexico border and “make Mexico pay” for it.

These ideas never made any sense, but once Trump won the election, turning them into some kind of actual policy imperative became important to the overall Republican Party. Mexico, of course, was not going to pay for the wall, but the White House got behind the conceit that Congress could appropriate funds for it that Trump would assert was some kind of advance on hypothetical future Mexican repayment.

Still, this left the problem of actually getting the money. Congressional appropriations require 60 Senate votes, and many Republicans were lukewarm on the wall concept all along, so last spring, Trump was considering the option of forcing a shutdown to try to get his way....

Read the rest at:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/1/19/16910296/government-shutdown-donald-trump-daca-immigration-2018-deal

12 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Well HOMES...at least your consistent....lets look back in about 3 months and see if this ages like the rest of your VOX posts.4

JT’s saying Mexico will pay for the Wall like Donnie said! Let’s see how that ages.

Yep and I'm still waiting for my health care premium reduction and to see Gitmo closed from the last president...

Presidents aren't dictators...and they can have plans and goals but not all of them happen as hoped for as noted here.   JMO but it's pretty lame to keep coming back to the wall issue..

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep and I'm still waiting for my health care premium reduction and to see Gitmo closed from the last president...

Presidents aren't dictators...and they can have plans and goals but not all of them happen as hoped for as noted here.   JMO but it's pretty lame to keep coming back to the wall issue..

Presidents aren’t dictators. But what’s stopping Trump from making Mexico pay for a wall? Obama tried to close Gitmo. Republicans stopped him. Who’s stopping Trump from filling his wall promise?

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Presidents aren’t dictators. But what’s stopping Trump from making Mexico pay for a wall? Obama tried to close Gitmo. Republicans stopped him. Who’s stopping Trump from filling his wall promise?

It wasn't just Republicans that did not want to close Gitmo.....as for the wall, it's been a year....too early to declare defeat.....like going home after the first quarter of a football game because your team is behind. 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It wasn't just Republicans that did not want to close Gitmo.....as for the wall, it's been a year....too early to declare defeat.....like going home after the first quarter of a football game because your team is behind. 

So you’re on record for still believing Mexico will pay for the wall. Noted.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Obama had two years with control of both houses and didn't do it. But he did let a lot of bad guys loose.

18 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So you’re on record for still believing Mexico will pay for the wall. Noted.

No way to know but not even worried too much one way or the other....have heard so many presidential campaign promises over the years that I'm actually surprised when any of them are fulfilled.  

I just think it's funny that so many dems are hung up on this one issue as if that were the only reason DT was elected..:dunno:   And, since dems objected to the concept they should actually be happy that nothing has taken place yet.

56 minutes ago, AU64 said:

No way to know but not even worried too much one way or the other....have heard so many presidential campaign promises over the years that I'm actually surprised when any of them are fulfilled.  

I just think it's funny that so many dems are hung up on this one issue as if that were the only reason DT was elected..:dunno:   And, since dems objected to the concept they should actually be happy that nothing has taken place yet.

Trump is demanding taxpayer dollars from the getgo for a wall he promised daily Mexico would pay for and closing government over it.

6 hours ago, japantiger said:

Well HOMES...at least your consistent....lets look back in about 3 months and see if this ages like the rest of your VOX posts.4

:dunno:  For example?

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

I just think it's funny that so many dems are hung up on this one issue as if that were the only reason DT was elected.

It's all they have left. Lets don't deny the delusionals their last little bit of joy.

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's all they have left. Lets don't deny the delusionals their last little bit of joy.

What are ya'll talking about, anyway - the wall?

Looks like the Schumer shutdown turned into the Schumer capitulation....?...but actually nice to see him put US citizens first on this issue.  Time to move on.

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Any honest person knows it was the centerpiece of his campaign.  Of course, that doesn’t include you two.

22 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Any honest person knows it was the centerpiece of his campaign.  Of course, that doesn’t include you two.

And you are lost with the above statement Tex. Do you honestly believe that?

The wall was and apparently still is more important to dems than to most DT voters I bet.  Nobody living more than a few hundred miles from the border really cared that much...not in North Carolina for sure.  

The issue for most DT voters were taxes, job growth and the various things the federal government could do to improve the economy.   If dems really thought the wall was a major factor in the election it explains why HC lost the election....'cause they were campaigning on the wrong issue. 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The wall was and apparently still is more important to dems than to most DT voters I bet.  Nobody living more than a few hundred miles from the border really cared that much...not in North Carolina for sure.  

The issue for most DT voters were taxes, job growth and the various things the federal government could do to improve the economy.   If dems really thought the wall was a major factor in the election it explains why HC lost the election....'cause they were campaigning on the wrong issue. 

Trump makes his priorities known. Most folks for the wall actually live further from the border.

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

JT’s saying Mexico will pay for the Wall like Donnie said! Let’s see how that ages.

Tex, most people that are never, and I mean never, right, usually have the good judgement to shut up....not you and Homes I see...keep the faith...the law of averages say that eventually you will be right about something regarding Trump....but, in your case, not sure I'd bet on it....

7 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Tex, most people that are never, and I mean never, right, usually have the good judgement to shut up....not you and Homes I see...keep the faith...the law of averages say that eventually you will be right about something regarding Trump....but, in your case, not sure I'd bet on it....

Take your own advice since you don’t listen to anyone else!

22 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Didn’t mean to leave you out, Salty! 

Many different ways to build a stupid wall Tex. Believe it or not many engineering types like myself realize the physical "wall" challenge. Obviously you do not... of course you believed Barry was lowering sea levels.

Overall, we rate Trump’s claim True.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/apr/25/donald-trump/illegal-immigration-lowest-17-years-trump-said/

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Many different ways to build a stupid wall Tex. Believe it or not many engineering types like myself realize the physical "wall" challenge. Obviously you do not... of course you believed Barry was lowering sea levels.

Overall, we rate Trump’s claim True.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/apr/25/donald-trump/illegal-immigration-lowest-17-years-trump-said/

Great! He can drop further demands for cash! Send him a tweet and let him know.

Archived