Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

Wrestlemania is back with fans. Much more enjoyable watch with the fans. WWE needed the fans more than AEW.  Especially since they are an entertainment company instead of a true wrestling company hehe. 

Really really enjoyed the Cesaro vs Rollins match. Favorite thus far. 

• Thanks 1

Ok, Belair vs banks was great as well. My goodness at the hair whip that Belair gave on Banks. YouTube postings are being censored. Such a loud sound came from it (not sure if piped in or not, as Sasha was wearing leather) and left a welp on Sasha. Brutal lol.  Either way a fantastic WM moment.  Side note, Bad Bunny was legit in his match.  Performed well. Good first night, with a surprise or two. 

• Love 1

@GwillMac6 gotta say man, it was hard to watch the main event last night.  Couldn't take the eyes off ya girl Sasha! My goodness that was a good look. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

@GwillMac6 gotta say man, it was hard to watch the main event last night.  Couldn't take the eyes off ya girl Sasha! My goodness that was a good look. 

GREAT GREAT MATCH FAMMY!!!!!!! Perfect choice to main event night one!!! That was a bangarrrrrrrrrrrrrr of a match!!! LEGGO BABY!! WOOOOO!!!!!!

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

GREAT GREAT MATCH FAMMY!!!!!!! Perfect choice to main event night one!!! That was a bangarrrrrrrrrrrrrr of a match!!! LEGGO BABY!! WOOOOO!!!!!!

The 2 night Wrestlemania is perfect format for them.  They found it by accident due to pandemic but make it so much better. Last year was best mania IMO, but this one has been killa. Can't wait for night 2. I expect a surprise or two.  

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

The 2 night Wrestlemania is perfect format for them.  They found it by accident due to pandemic but make it so much better. Last year was best mania IMO, but this one has been killa. Can't wait for night 2. I expect a surprise or two.  

agreed!!! I think it is here to stay as well even when they can have full capacity in stadiums!!!

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

agreed!!! I think it is here to stay as well even when they can have full capacity in stadiums!!!

I mean the last full, one night WM was soooooo long.  Everyone was exhausted before the main event.  

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I mean the last full, one night WM was soooooo long.  Everyone was exhausted before the main event.  

It was 8 hours long I think. BRUUUUUUUUUUTALLLLLLLLL. Just imagine being at any other sporting event that long and thinking that is normal!! Plus WWE can make more money this way! Get more matches. Get more people on the card. Have the talent be more happy. 2 main events instead of one. And I bet you they can sell out 2 different nights as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It was 8 hours long I think. BRUUUUUUUUUUTALLLLLLLLL. Just imagine being at any other sporting event that long and thinking that is normal!! Plus WWE can make more money this way! Get more matches. Get more people on the card. Have the talent be more happy. 2 main events instead of one. And I bet you they can sell out 2 different nights as well.

The double main event really helps them avoid controversy

• Thanks 1

Night 2 was disappointing and at times, boring.  I freaking hate the red light in Fiend matches.  Thought they'd done away with it.  That match was too short with not much content.  Ending was ok for the story, but should have had some back and forth with Randy before that.  

Main event was excellent. 

I hope the surprises show up tonight on raw, because not much to show in WM. Night 1 was far better than night 2. 

This article is a great read and so true.  

https://www-cagesideseats-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cagesideseats.com/platform/amp/wwe/2021/4/12/22379317/sasha-banks-greatest-all-time-wrestlemania-bianca-belair-smackdown-womens-championship-main-event?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16182546488415&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cagesideseats.com%2Fwwe%2F2021%2F4%2F12%2F22379317%2Fsasha-banks-greatest-all-time-wrestlemania-bianca-belair-smackdown-womens-championship-main-event

Her WrestleMania main event proved why Sasha Banks is the GOAT

A little detail from her loss to Bianca Belair is key. Let us explain.

By Marcus Benjamin 

on April 12, 2021 12:00 pm

WWE.com

I want to start by doing something I never thought possible: thanking Michael Cole.

During the WrestleMania night one kickoff, JBL did his best to downplay the fact Sasha Banks’ and Bianca Belair’s melanin played a part in the history they made Saturday night (April 10, 2021). When the match started, Cole didn’t simply acknowledge that two Black women getting that spot was a big freaking deal; the man said it with his chest. So yeah, thank you, Michael Cole.

The match itself delivered like an 80 lb. baby. These two words get thrown around a lot, but it really was an instant classic. And in the spirit of saying things with one’s chest, let’s just get this out of the way: Sasha Banks is the greatest of all time, and it’s her storytelling ability in this match that puts her above everyone else.

For anyone not clutching their pearls, Sasha’s attention to detail, along with her athletic ability and complete understanding of character, were all on display against Bianca. And it starts with the hair. Banks used Bianca’s braid, a symbol of pride and strength for the rookie, as a weakness the entire match. Sasha pulled on it, tugged on it, and used it as a means to ensure Bianca never got any momentum going. Banks established the braid as a critical focus of the story and showed it was the only way she could outmuscle the same woman who freaking bench pressed her while walking up ring steps.

Sasha understands ring psychology the way Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, and Bret Hart understood ring psychology. Wrestling for the sake of wrestling, ain’t it; the audience wants to see a story in the ring. Whether it’s targeting a body part, nursing a previous injury, or using one’s hair to illustrate how they’re not ready for prime time.

The Blueprint is no slouch in the ring either. While she’ll always have moments where it looks like she’s legitimately hurt, that’s all part of the plan. She’s smooth, quickly transitioning from one move to the next as easily as writers jump back and forth between cliches. Sasha built to a moment where she used The EST’s hair as leverage to apply the Bank Statement. This came after a frog splash, which followed a tornado DDT. A sequence that started with grappling ended with a ground submission, each escalating the drama due to Sasha bringing her well-known mean streak to the forefront.

A staple of all of Sasha’s matches, whether she’s a face or a heel, is when she reaches her breaking point and gets vicious with her opponent. Banks understands certain moves hit harder later in the contest than the beginning. And she connects those moves to her attitude. A confident Sasha doesn’t take the same risks as a desperate one. And who she is at the beginning isn’t who she is when the last bell rings. Sasha went from an overconfident champion who thought the finesse game would get it done to a ruthless and frustrated one willing to pull out all the stops to keep her young foe down. And she always came back to Bianca’s hair.

Any author, screenwriter, or director will tell you how crucial it is to stick the landing. Wrestling matches can often fall into Return of the King territory: one too many false finishes with an audience screaming for them to wrap it up. The best of the best understand not just the right words to end a story but also the proper punctuation. That hair Sasha kept messing with? Eventually, she went to the well one too many times and paid the price. Bianca turned a weakness back into a strength, gashed Sasha across her side, and well, you know the rest.

This was the perfect ending and the only appropriate one for the match. All the emotion going into the event built to a crescendo and erupted after a thunderous three count. Bianca cried, I cried, and even Sasha cried.

And don’t front: if you’re reading this, you probably cried too. True greatness in wrestling is getting the audience to hang on to every move and inspire an emotional response. Bianca’s moment is sweeter because her dance partner is just that damn good, and the crowd recognized how high of a mountain the new champion climbed. Banks’ dopeness helped create another superstar. In sports, that’s called making your teammates better. It took Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant each at least seven years to master that skill. Sasha had it down to a science in three.

Michael Cole said one more thing of note before Sasha and Bianca locked eyes: an argument can be made that Sasha’s accomplishments make her the greatest of all time. We all know once WWE says a thing, they will keep saying it, and it will eventually become gospel. If that’s the hymn Vince and crew want to sing to celebrate Ms. Banks now and forever, then sign me up for voice lessons. Sasha isn’t the GOAT for this one match; she gets that title because she shows everyone how to do it right every night. And the bigger the stage, the better she performs.

Every. Single. Time.

image.gif

@GwillMac6 man your Queen looked damn good tonight! New look. Same attitude!

Edited by AUBwins

Well i give you a chance WWE on the RAW after Wrestlemania, only to be bored and severely disappointed.  Charlotte promo was the highlight.  Otherwise, meh. Oh I love watching Viking Raiders as well.  

WWE releasing another round of talent.  Some notables, Samoa Joe, Bo Dallas, and biggest for me, both Iconics. PEYTON Royce was extremely under utilized.  She was breaking out until just killing the push. Her boyfriend (husband maybe?) just so happens to be Shawn Spears at AEW. Definitely hope to see her make the move.  Question for Joe, is he physically unable to compete?  He's been in commentary a while now.  Not sure why they dumped him.  He was better at the booth than most unless he didn't want to do that anymore. 

Edited by AUBwins

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

WWE releasing another round of talent.  Some notables, Samoa Joe, Bo Dallas, and biggest for me, both Iconics. PEYTON Royce was extremely under utilized.  She was breaking out until just killing the push. Her boyfriend (husband maybe?) just so happens to be Shawn Spears at AEW. Definitely hope to see her make the move.  Question for Joe, is he physically unable to compete?  He's been in commentary a while now.  Not sure why they dumped him.  He was better at the booth than most unless he didn't want to do that anymore. 

Also Chelsea Green released. Another solid woman competitor. 

Both NXT and AEW benefited from NXT moving to Tuesdays. Last week both were in the 680-750k viewer’s range. This week NXT had 800k viewers and AEW had 1.2million viewers!  Also both increased in demo ratings as well, finishing top 10 each in the 18-49 demo. AEW had a .44 rating and #2 overall. 

29 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Gonna be a hell of a match. Hopefully first of many between them.

Yes, could see that being a generational rivalry.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Yes, could see that being a generational rivalry.  

Speaking of which, really hope Chelsea Green comes to AEW. Can you imagine her and Britt throwing down?  

Saw an article saying WM going back to 1 night more than likely.  Its tough to put on a reasonably time Mania with so many titles that need to be showcased.  It would have to become a Clash of the Champions with every title on the line and very few if any non title matches.  It may be the production quality but I still put WWE above AEW.  I think Corny has brainwashed me but I can't stand the Young Bucks.  Way too many false finishes and high spots in every match.  Too much sloppy wresting trying to set up acrobatic moves.  I feel like WWE could be really good with good writing.  Example:  Fiend should be destroying people with only the hope of a Drew McIntyre type to stop him.  One main title instead of the World Heavyweight and Universal.  Make the Intercontinental Championship matter again.  Stop breaking up tag teams for singles competition. Stop putting 50 year old plus men in championship positions.  Best mix of promo and wrestler should get top billing like the old days.  With the exception of a KO or Dolph very few have a real personality.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Saw an article saying WM going back to 1 night more than likely.  Its tough to put on a reasonably time Mania with so many titles that need to be showcased.  It would have to become a Clash of the Champions with every title on the line and very few if any non title matches.  It may be the production quality but I still put WWE above AEW.  I think Corny has brainwashed me but I can't stand the Young Bucks.  Way too many false finishes and high spots in every match.  Too much sloppy wresting trying to set up acrobatic moves.  I feel like WWE could be really good with good writing.  Example:  Fiend should be destroying people with only the hope of a Drew McIntyre type to stop him.  One main title instead of the World Heavyweight and Universal.  Make the Intercontinental Championship matter again.  Stop breaking up tag teams for singles competition. Stop putting 50 year old plus men in championship positions.  Best mix of promo and wrestler should get top billing like the old days.  With the exception of a KO or Dolph very few have a real personality.

That first sentence pretty much sums up the entire issue, but your full response is spot on with the issues.   WWE can't get out of their own way.  And they just drop storylines without any explanation.

I only slightly disagree with the false finish narrative. I can see your perspective on that element but find that AEW, while having more near falls, actually protects finishers a heck of a lot better than WWE. Brock uses 6 F5s or 4 Goldberg Spears, etc., while Paradigm Shift is a given 3 count,  and only 1 time in wrestling history has anyone kicked out of One winged Angel by Omega. 

I actually don't like comparing the 2 organizations as equals.  I consider them two different genres of professional wrestling.  WWE does feel like big production, the wrestling "entertainment" industry, and personally feel AEW is more of a throwback to wrestling before TV, focused on the storytelling.  

They are both very different, which will appeal to different viewers.  I personally prefer AEW style, because I love the crazy tandem moves to go along with an excellent story.  I hate seeing the set up for suicide moves though.  Too obvious!

I do, however,  love some of the wrestlers in WWE the best, especially the top of the women's division there.  I took notice of Becky just before her rise, and liked her charisma.  Just something about her was special.  Then her turn on Charlotte, and I was hooked on that story.  My gosh that was the best year in wrestling ever for me in WWE with the work those women put in.  Heck even Nia added the key piece in busting up Becky in a goof. Now we have this true Badass standing there bloodied up.  Yes!  The fluctuations week after week between Ronda, Charlotte, Becky,  with cameos of Sasha, Asuka,  and Alexa Bliss was gripping.  Always loved Sasha too, and the Belair/Banks match was amazing.  

Wow this response turned long.  Sorry.  Basically both are great in their own lane, and they drift out in some areas, but overall I'll watch both, despite preferring AEW. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paladin said:

Great news! Come to Birmingham so I can drive up

They'll probably focus on the venues they have canceled first,  but I think it's great.  It's a race to see which wrestling organization will get to the people first.