Calvin Ashley "needs that nastiness to come out"

WFE12

Calvin Ashley 'needs that nastiness to come out' to succeed at right tackle

Mike Horton believes Calvin Ashley has what it takes to start along the offensive line in the SEC, and that new Auburn offensive line coach J.B. Grimes will bring out the best in the redshirt freshman this year.

Ashley, a former five-star prospect who was the prize of Auburn's 2017 signing class, redshirted last season but is eyeing a starting job this season and has been repping with the first-team offense at right tackle so far this spring.

"I think with Calvin, he has all the physical ability," said Horton, who has been working at right guard. "It's just mental with him. I think that's what he's going to do this year, and this spring I think that's what he's gotten better at."

RELATED: Auburn wants offensive line settled this spring, won't do as much mixing and matching

Horton painted the picture of a redshirt freshman who is starting to come into his own this spring after spending much of his first year on campus trying to figure things out.

Ashley was the Tigers' highest-rated recruit a year ago, and there was talk of him immediately competing for the team's starting left tackle job last fall. That never came to fruition, as he arrived on campus at 350 pounds and settled in as the backup at right tackle on the depth chart despite never seeing the field.

"You know, everybody has their freshman, you know, just coming in you don't really know what to expect yet so you're just kind of feeling around," Horton said, "but I think he's ready to take that next step."

Ashley has been looking leaner this spring, and Horton said he believes the 6-foot-6 lineman has lost about 20 pounds since arriving on campus. Now, Horton said, Ashley is starting to look more like the "great player" he saw glimpses of in practice while observing him last season.

Horton believes some of that is due the Tigers' change of offensive line coaches. Grimes replaced Herb Hand as Auburn's offensive line coach in January, and Horton firmly believes the veteran assistant coach, who was previously at Auburn from 2013-15, will push Ashley "to the next level" this year.

"I think Coach Grimes is just bringing that nasty out of him, because that's what Calvin needs," Horton said. "He needs that nastiness to come out of him, and I think he has it in him, but I think Coach Grimes is definitely going to push him."

Immediate Grimes effect. Very encouraging.

To me- and I fully admit to having a very particular filter when reading it- this is not Horton having an autonomous opinion that Ashley isn't nasty enough. This is Horton preaching the gospel of his position coach. 

17 hours ago, WFE12 said:

"I think Coach Grimes is just bringing that nasty out of him, because that's what Calvin needs," Horton said. "He needs that nastiness to come out of him, and I think he has it in him, but I think Coach Grimes is definitely going to push him."

I hope Grimes brings out the nasty in all of the O-linemen and I think he will. No more of the line getting pushed around and knocked on their a$$, like in the peach bowl.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:15 AM, kd4au said:

I hope Grimes brings out the nasty in all of the O-linemen and I think he will. No more of the line getting pushed around and knocked on their a$$, like in the peach bowl.

You sure our OL under Grimes did't get abused?  He is a better on the field coach than Hand though.

wde

20 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

You sure our OL under Grimes did't get abused?  He is a better on the field coach than Hand though.

wde

I'm sure. So glad Hand is gone.

Now, I'm not sure if Gus is still committed, or if that contract extension made him lazy.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

I'm sure. So glad Hand is gone.

Now, I'm not sure if Gus is still committed, or if that contract extension made him lazy.

See UGA 2014 for abuse to start and even LSU 2013.

wde

31 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

See UGA 2014 for abuse to start and even LSU 2013.

wde

I think you mean 2017. LSU 2013 was completely understandable--in fact, I was feeling very good about our team when that game ended. Best I've ever felt after a loss.

I have complete faith that Grimes will have out OL playing at their best. No more moving guys all over the line and playing multiple positions. I think our OL will be one of the better ones in the SEC for 2018. Gus made a wise decision hiring Grimes and it will pay off in 2018.  We will have good size and experience on the OL for 2018.

It wasn't the nastiness that kept Ashley off the field last year.  It was way too many cheese burgers. Glad Grimes is putting the boys through the grind. Can't have too many Reese Dismukes type of players on the OL. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It wasn't the nastiness that kept Ashley off the field last year.  It was way too many cheese burgers. Glad Grimes is putting the boys through the grind. Can't have too many Reese Dismukes type of players on the OL. 

In college at AU which is all I care about.

wde

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What do you mean (dismukes)

10 hours ago, alexava said:

What do you mean (dismukes)

He was a mean SOB. Big part of what made him one of the most valuable OLs I've seen at Auburn.

15 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You can say this as many times as you'd like. I will read it and smile every time.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

He was a mean SOB. Big part of what made him one of the most valuable OLs I've seen at Auburn.

On top of that, he played beyond his body/natural ability... thus why the NFL keeps bouncing him around practice squads. He doesn't have the physical stats (short arms, small hands) to be a great OL, but he still managed to excel at every stop along the way. 

On 3/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The ol Freshman Fifty.   ? ? ? ?

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

@Randman5000 made a good joke. Just relax and let it marinate. 

Yeah, I know it was a joke.  I was seriously asking if he came here with the weight and that's the biggest reason he redshirted.

6 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

Yeah, I know it was a joke.  I was seriously asking if he came here with the weight and that's the biggest reason he redshirted.

Correct on both counts.

Archived