Softball vs. lsu (game 2)

7 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

Wrong.  If the defensive player is making the initial play on a batted ball, and the offensive player interferes with her ability to make the play, it is INTERFERENCE.  Had nobody been there to make a play and the ball hit in foul territory but then bounced into fair territory it would be a fair ball - you don't if that was going to happen.  The fact is Perry had a chance to make a play on the ball and the LSU batter ran into her.  Interference!  

I am a softball umpire and know the rule.

I'm not sure I agree or not.   I found this in the rule book but this is talking about a RUNNER not a Batter-Runner which is different and outlined in the section above this rule.    Based on this, I am on the side of this NOT being interference.

12.19.2.1.4 Physical contact by the runner with a fielder attempting to
field a fair batted ball or a foul ball that might become fair shall be
interference, provided the fielder had a reasonable chance to make a
play and was prevented from doing so.

Note: If both players’ actions are appropriate to the situation and contact could
not be avoided, it is inadvertent contact and neither interference nor obstruction.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

Wrong.  If the defensive player is making the initial play on a batted ball, and the offensive player interferes with her ability to make the play, it is INTERFERENCE.  Had nobody been there to make a play and the ball hit in foul territory but then bounced into fair territory it would be a fair ball - you don't if that was going to happen.  The fact is Perry had a chance to make a play on the ball and the LSU batter ran into her.  Interference!  

This was on a pop-up, in the air, I do agree that if the ball had hit the ground and was contacted in foul territory, then it would have been a foul ball and no interference at that point.  But the ball was in the air when contact was made. 

I am a softball umpire and know the rule.

Coach Dean never questioned the call.  

3 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Coach Dean never questioned the call.  

I thought he "asked" about it but plate seemed to kind of just nonchalantly go with incidental contact and CMD did not push the issue.  The note you had in your other quote is what blue was able to use to make the no call.  I disagree with his call because Andrews could have avoided the contact.

Draper hard chopper to short and shortstop boots it and has zero chance to get Draper.   1 out for Taylon Snow.

I don't follow softball too closely , but we curb stomp just about every team until LSU. Is the SEC just much better than our previous competition?

Draper's speed has the LSU infielders bothered...not handling the ball well and an E-6   again...

2 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I don't follow softball too closely , but we curb stomp just about every team until LSU. Is the SEC just much better than our previous competition?

Yes the only "tough" competition we played was the California trip where we went 3-2.  11 of the 13 SEC teams are in the Top 25, so tough competition in the SEC.

Snow sends one the opposite way but its run down and caught on the line in left to end the inning.   Auburn trailing 2-0

Seems when we finally get a runner in scoring position we have 2 outs.  

If that LSU catcher took any more time finding the wild pitch, Draper probably tries to steal home.  We could have used it.  

Hope we put up 3 to get a lead on Lsu. We need at least 1 win this series. Tough weekends continuing this month. 

Who called the bunt attempt?  That killed the entire at bat for Crack

Snow sends one deep to right and it drops fair and to the wall.  2 runs score and Snow slides in safely at 3rd with a triple.    2-2 game   Podany up with Snow on 3rd.

Archived