Was that CBP last game?

weathergeakal

Was that CBP last game as the HC of Auburn?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Was that CBP last game as the HC of Auburn?

• Yes
    • No

Is recruiting really shot to hell right now? We have 1 scholly available and are bringing in a 6'8 4* PF.

Wasn't there a report of a top AAU program's coach contacting our staff to see if we are interested in some of their studs last month?

I get there's a cloud hanging over us but I don't think it's as bad as "shot to hell". Well it doesn't look like it right now. Could it be better? Oh, definitely -- you never want to be operating under something like this hanging over your head but Akingbola coming in next year is a great sign IMO

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This follows the typical storyline for these numbnut story tellers........Dirty Auburn hired dirty CBP and an FBI investigation into one of the assistants occurs so Auburn and CBP are really dirty.    If Auburn fires CBP, it shows that the school is in complete disarray, if he is kept, then Auburn is REALLY, REALLY dirty.      

i believe coach pearl loves auburn enough and is grateful enough that he would not knowingly do anything to hurt auburn bb. i remember him saying that or something close but my memory is not what it used to be. i doubt his love for auburn is fake. and we took a chance hiring him so i would hope he is left alone unless he is truly guilty of something and not just making his bosses mad. yes i know this is a childish view but i am sticking with it.............so with that said i think he stays..........

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I understand but I see these as separate issues and those guys will continue to work to dredge up stuff anyway they can ....but the basketball issues with CP and BP are  "home brewed"   and none of the "journalists" had any impact on what the NCAA did thus far.... or might choose to do in the future.   

Same with the FBI...they did what they do, apparently caught CP and some other guy in outright illegal activities ....but they don't care if coaches give kids money and they don't determine eligibility.....NCAA is gonna do that and FBI has just conveniently provided the NCAA with information it could not have gotten on its own. ...but the NCAA is not gonna turn down the gift from the FBI.  

AU will decide how to deal with BP based on what the NCAA implications are....not what the FBI has on CP....though I still think that BP will be a witness if CP actually goes to trial.

PS to Gravejd.....our recruiting is shot to hell for the moment and suddenly the team looks really vulnerable, unanswered questions about a couple coaches, unknown about DP and AW.....even if BP comes back, next season will be a really tough year   JMO. 

Wow, that is a really dark and negative viewpoint.  If Pearl is gone, I would agree that next year will be tough.  We would probably have some players transfer and/or leave early, and recruiting would go down the tubes.  However, if Pearl is back, we will likely return everyone who played this year (including Anfernee).  It’s possible Heron might go pro but I think he is the only possibility.  We will also bring in a four star freshman forward and have a talented transfer guard becoming eligible.  There’s even an outside shot that Wiley or Purifoy comes back.

If Pearl stays (meaning we have been cleared), recruiting will pick up again and this team will have another year of experience under it’s belt.  I believe the future will be bright if that is the case.  If Pearl is gone, the program is dead in the water.

I am of the opinion that if the school had anything on pearl he would already be gone. Until we find out if Purifoy and Wiley are coming back we only have one slot open and we have somebody for that slot. There is a possibility that Heron also leaves but I think that is very small. NBA draft is in June so that is when we will know about those three people if they go there won't be anybody available at that time.  If we end up with everybody back the new PF the extra PG and Wiley or Purifoy we will be a really good team next year maybe even a great team that will help recruiting as we will also have 3-4 graduating seniors (Murray, Dunbar, Spencer and Brown) so players we are recruiting will see a strong nucleus and an opening for PT both.

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

This follows the typical storyline for these numbnut story tellers........Dirty Auburn hired dirty CBP and an FBI investigation into one of the assistants occurs so Auburn and CBP are really dirty.    If Auburn fires CBP, it shows that the school is in complete disarray, if he is kept, then Auburn is REALLY, REALLY dirty.      

And firing Pearl would do nothing to change that.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Is recruiting really shot to hell right now? We have 1 scholly available and are bringing in a 6'8 4* PF.

Wasn't there a report of a top AAU program's coach contacting our staff to see if we are interested in some of their studs last month?

I get there's a cloud hanging over us but I don't think it's as bad as "shot to hell". Well it doesn't look like it right now. Could it be better? Oh, definitely -- you never want to be operating under something like this hanging over your head but Akingbola coming in next year is a great sign IMO

AU Compliance's antennae stood up to attention. 

36 minutes ago, keesler said:

AU Compliance's antennae stood up to attention. 

Like this? 

marshall_hendersonauburn.gif

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Both of those reports are over a month old. Once again, for what seems like the 10th time, if AU were going to fire Pearl it would have already been done.

Yep! Only about 8 months until our 1st game of 2018-19. Something should have and would have already happened with BP, if it were going to. Everybody including the admin., coaches, and players need to get their collective crap together real quick like, or our 18-19 season is going to be a cluster you know what!

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

That gif is the GOAT.

The new reactions that pop up each time you see it no matter how often you have seen it is literally chicken soup for the soul. 

2 hours ago, eulessau said:

Wow, that is a really dark and negative viewpoint.  If Pearl is gone, I would agree that next year will be tough.  We would probably have some players transfer and/or leave early, and recruiting would go down the tubes.  However, if Pearl is back, we will likely return everyone who played this year (including Anfernee).  It’s possible Heron might go pro but I think he is the only possibility.  We will also bring in a four star freshman forward and have a talented transfer guard becoming eligible.  There’s even an outside shot that Wiley or Purifoy comes back.

If Pearl stays (meaning we have been cleared), recruiting will pick up again and this team will have another year of experience under it’s belt.  I believe the future will be bright if that is the case.  If Pearl is gone, the program is dead in the water.

If you haven't followed the basketball forum over the years, Au64 does not like Bruce Pearl very much, it slants his views, but he is a good man!!

5 hours ago, keesler said:

I'd like to know if Auburn basketball is under NCAA investigation?   And if we are, did the NCAA send a letter on inquiry? 

Has the NCAA interviewed the suspended players and more importantly their parents?  Has the NCAA checked paper trails and bank records?  Have they interviewed the other two asst coaches that have been on suspension all season?  

This^^^^^^

The NCAA already ruled on Wiley, is finalizing Purifoy's situation.  As with most things our Administration tends to be our own worst enemy.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

And firing Pearl would do nothing to change that.

I don't think anyone at AU is trying to win favor with the media.....if so, it's pretty much a fools errand.   JMO but the primary issue is getting the NCAA off our backs and out of town. 

As for recruiting, I'm thinking of top HS kids for 2019 and 2020 who have mostly made their choices.    We are short handed now and not sure how many we can  bring in before next season....but only  one commit at the moment as far as I know.. 

As for BP....no question he has done a fantastic job with this team....but I hate what's happening to Auburn U over this crap....which is mostly CP's doing but I still think that BP should have had some idea what was going on with his top assistant and key players. .....   and again, just my opinion.... but I think it's a dream for anyone to believe that we are going to come out of this in a couple months and go forward as if nothing happened.   

17 hours ago, InfernoOrangeSS said:

Doubt it, but I can say that if so, I’ll never watch another AU BB game.  I’ve been a fan since the mid 80’s.   Something like that without due cause would make me not want to ever see the sport at AU again. 

I absolutely agree! If Auburn has no "cause" except perception or whatever else the PTB may conjure up, it would be a disaster to fire him with so much hard work already done to rebuild the program. As one lone individual, I also would not be able to forgive the administration for their shortsightedness. There really is no other option but to keep him and move forward, if there is no fault found on BP. End of Story!!

3 hours ago, eulessau said:

Again, I agree. The administration should not become it's own worst enemy in this. I am hopeful that, if BP has no found problems, then the administrattion owes it to the team, our alums and themselves to standup for BP, the players and Auburn. WDE!

16 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Assuming Greene has integrity, he won’t fire Bruce without proper knowledge and has let due process run its course. 

If Greene fires him without cause, then he will immediately prove that he is going to be another worthless AD that bows to the media and has no integrity. JMHO

I'll just say this, I'm going to laugh my a** off if Pearl ends up completely clean (something I expect), and a handful of the top programs end up vacating their seasons over all of this crap. It'll be especially cathartic if Kansas goes down, considering that I live less than an hour from Lawrence and their basketball fans can be pretty insufferable.

BP has also had a very good year financially. 

Interesting piece in al.com on his contract and all the bonus provisions that were included.  Someone was pretty creative and optimistic about this when it was structured up a few years ago.   I hate to link to al.com but could not figure out how to copy the piece...

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2018/03/bruce_pearl_total_bonuses.html#incart_river_index

Bottom line is that he earned about $250K in bonus payments for what the team did this year in about a half dozen different performance measurements. 

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

but I still think that BP should have had some idea what was going on with his top assistant and key players.

I suppose Bruce should've been monitoring CP's bank accounts and phone records to catch those bank wires and phone calls to agents. The FBI didn't include Bruce, however it seems there are a few journalists and fans that are determined to .link Bruce with all this. smh.  

11 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I suppose Bruce should've been monitoring CP's bank accounts and phone records to catch those bank wires and phone calls to agents. The FBI didn't include Bruce, however it seems there are a few journalists and fans that are determined to .link Bruce with all this. smh.  

Nope but I bet he knew his travel records and probably approved his expense reports for the trips.   But...people talk and players or player families getting money from an AU coach... and you think nobody ever mentioned it?   Still wondering what got the two young coaches suspended for example?  

Just saying that this kind of thing does not happen in a vacuum.  Likely nobody knows what Dr. Leath and some folks in admin know so just waiting for them to say something one way or the other....and I will be good with that.  

There is no reason to fire Bruce even if he is guilty of minor infractions which I doubt.

What would be wrong in keeping him/ Unless he was handing out cash to recruits and selling meth from his house,

Auburn should say Bruce is our Head Basketball Coach for as long as he likes.

Since I've been one sided in this I will say I'd understand firing Bruce if:

He was paying players to come to AU

He was paying players to sway their decision making process in determining which financial adviser to hire once they leave AU

He was knowingly, intentionally, and/or egregiously breaking major NCAA rules (I am not in support of him being shown the door for secondary violations, as it seems most big time programs self-report these violations on a yearly basis with seemingly little consequence)

I am confident he wasn't doing any of these, as he has already used his life line and this is his 2nd chance and he knows if he screws it up he's likely out of major college coaching. Also, why would he pay players to steer them towards financial advisers? There's no benefit to him or AU basketball from that unless he was making money on the side but since there seems to be some obsession to link Bruce to this, if he was involved in this I feel like it would've come out by now

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Since I've been one sided in this I will say I'd understand firing Bruce if:

He was paying players to come to AU

He was paying players to sway their decision making process in determining which financial adviser to hire once they leave AU

He was knowingly, intentionally, and/or egregiously breaking major NCAA rules (I am not in support of him being shown the door for secondary violations, as it seems most big time programs self-report these violations on a yearly basis with seemingly little consequence)

I am confident he wasn't doing any of these, as he has already used his life line and this is his 2nd chance and he knows if he screws it up he's likely out of major college coaching. Also, why would he pay players to steer them towards financial advisers? There's no benefit to him or AU basketball from that unless he was making money on the side but since there seems to be some obsession to link Bruce to this, if he was involved in this I feel like it would've come out by now

I just don’t understand why some of his staffers like Frankie Sullivan had to go.

Archived