Baseball vs Kentucky game 1

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow....can you believe that.? .....too bad for Mize...pitched a great game and deserved a better fate...... 

This stings.  What a brutal conference this year.  Can't let too many of these "bonus" road games get away.  @Arkansas @Alabama @Florida @Ole Miss Vandy at home...there are going to be several good conference teams from the SEC left out of the postseason just because it's a gauntlet.  I hope Auburn isn't one of them.

I don’t get the Greenhill thing. Apparently he has mono but he’s had it for about 2 and a half weeks nice so what’s the deal? I’ve had that before and was done with it in about 4-5 days. I would think with a training staff like we have he would be fine by now. What’s up? 

We’ve lost our last 3 games. Time to pick it up boys, no excuses. You shouldn’t lose games like tonight. Once in a while sure it will happen, but we can’t freak out when we’ve got a late lead. Happens in a lot of AU Sports and if baseball wants a trip to omaha, they can’t fall victim to that.

Coker not living up to his pre-season build-up...the "cobra" thing.  Need him to step it up now that SEC ball is underway.

Often, when a season is over, games like last night are the ones you look back on. Win most of them and you're playing late into tournaments. Lose enough of them and you're sitting at home watching other teams on the TV.

12 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I don’t get the Greenhill thing. Apparently he has mono but he’s had it for about 2 and a half weeks nice so what’s the deal? I’ve had that before and was done with it in about 4-5 days. I would think with a training staff like we have he would be fine by now. What’s up? 

We’ve lost our last 3 games. Time to pick it up boys, no excuses. You shouldn’t lose games like tonight. Once in a while sure it will happen, but we can’t freak out when we’ve got a late lead. Happens in a lot of AU Sports and if baseball wants a trip to omaha, they can’t fall victim to that.

Like I said.....mono causes the spleen to enlarge, and sometimes the liver also. Playing contact sports is dangerous because if he gets hit in that area his spleen/liver could rupture and that is life threatening. Also mono causes debilitating fatigue. Athletes  just can't play until they are fully recovered. 

Almost no one gets over mono completely in 4-5 days. You were very lucky. The symptoms normally last for about 2-4 weeks. Greenhill  can't play until his spleen/liver has returned to normal and he has no fatigue. Some people need 6 months to fully recover. I suspect it's probably what Blake Logan had and he was hospitalized with it which is not unusual. It took Blake  months to recover.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Coker not living up to his pre-season build-up...the "cobra" thing.  Need him to step it up now that SEC ball is underway.

It was just one less than perfect outing. He's been pretty good. And it's early in the season. No need to pronounce him a disappointment already.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Really?  He has thrown well.  He doesn't even like cobra BS...it's media thing.  He threw maybe 2 bad pitches last night, just one (that counted) was hit.  The others were bleeders and bloops.  He has commanded his pitches a lot better this year.

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

It was just one less than perfect outing. He's been pretty good. And it's early in the season. No need to pronounce him a disappointment already.

yeah...I over reacted.....just that he threw some bad pitches at a bad time....maybe cold weather....

15 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

My kid is a pretty good soccer player.  She got mono during Christmas and it took 3 or so weeks for the “illness” to go away but another month before her spleen reduced enough for her to begin contact again.  School wouldn’t let her play until doctor released her.

the enlarged spleen is susceptible to rupture and then is a life/death issue.

My daughter fought fatigue for the remainder of the season and she pretty much lost the season.

doctor also warned us that depression and personality issues can be associated with significant cases of mono and it did with our kid.  May have been partially due to the lost season more so than the illness.

30 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

My kid is a pretty good soccer player.  She got mono during Christmas and it took 3 or so weeks for the “illness” to go away but another month before her spleen reduced enough for her to begin contact again.  School wouldn’t let her play until doctor released her.

the enlarged spleen is susceptible to rupture and then is a life/death issue.

My daughter fought fatigue for the remainder of the season and she pretty much lost the season.

doctor also warned us that depression and personality issues can be associated with significant cases of mono and it did with our kid.  May have been partially due to the lost season more so than the illness.

I think the depression/personality issues stem from the relentless fatigue. It's so disruptive to a young person's life. They miss out on so much during the recovery period. 

With possibly the dream of a MLB career in the future, and his college career still ahead of him they will take no chances with Greenhill. They were very cautious with Blake Logan and his return to the game was done in slow increments. He started out pinch hitting just once late in a game IIRC.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

yeah...I over reacted.....just that he threw some bad pitches at a bad time....maybe cold weather....

Umpire had a little to do with it.  Coker relies so much on sink, doesn't overpower hitters with his fastball, and has to have the bottom of the strike zone.  The blue behind the plate was not giving that last night (didn't give it to Mize or Hjelle).  The home run was a curve ball that he simply left up.  

As for the rest of the season...there was a time not very long ago where it was simply wishful thinking to even hope to get one win in places like Baton Rouge and Columbia and Starkville.  Those days are long gone folks, this team can go toe to toe with anybody out there.  To be dominant, which is where I believe we're headed, they've got to close out games on the road with a two run lead in the bottom of the ninth.  We need a 4 out guy and a 3 out guy in the back end of the bullpen.  The two outs in the seventh guy is very  good (just not a closer), the last three outs in the ninth reliever is on the shelf with mono.  

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Umpire had a little to do with it.  Coker relies so much on sink, doesn't overpower hitters with his fastball, and has to have the bottom of the strike zone.  The blue behind the plate was not giving that last night (didn't give it to Mize or Hjelle).  The home run was a curve ball that he simply left up.  

As for the rest of the season...there was a time not very long ago where it was simply wishful thinking to even hope to get one win in places like Baton Rouge and Columbia and Starkville.  Those days are long gone folks, this team can go toe to toe with anybody out there.  To be dominant, which is where I believe we're headed, they've got to close out games on the road with a two run lead in the bottom of the ninth.  We need a 4 out guy and a 3 out guy in the back end of the bullpen.  The two outs in the seventh guy is very  good (just not a closer), the last three outs in the ninth reliever is on the shelf with mono.  

Good baseball stuph here!

Archived