Auburn in the 2018 NFL Draft

metafour

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

So much of that depends on the 2nd safety position. Dinson will be good back there, but there is a huge question mark lined up next to him. Also, if there is any injury back there we might be in a lot of trouble.

I don't know BB but I think Smoke will make strides this year.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I don't know BB but I think Smoke will make strides this year.

I'm hoping he starts day 1. I'd rather take the early mistakes from a tFR to get him the experience.

On 5/1/2018 at 9:45 AM, Zeek said:

I think it's mostly that we would love to have him and some others for another year. Who wouldn't love to see Davis and Holland return for this upcoming season? It sure would have been a huge help!

the simple thing is neither couldve done that much better on their own, especially Holland. Holland had a year that STRONGLY outdid the best of those before him here that got drafted, Id say he outdid Lemonier and Carl's best in spades. Id also be willing to say he outdid Ford in 2013, but thats a tough argument to make. Another simple thing is that those three were just more of physical freaks (more so Carl and Dee than Corey). 

I hate that you cant test the waters and come back like in CBB. Neither do the athlete enough justice as far as deciding on your future, but both (mainly CBB) are trying to make spades. Maybe we see a similar system instituted before long. Basically all you  know about your future is what your agents telling you, and sometimes agents are trying to eat off your hype like any "analysts". Its a sad game to play when you look back at these guys who might end up financially stuck for years hoping for that big break cause of some bad info. I wish Holland the best tho, one of the best defensive players I've witnessed.

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

the simple thing is neither couldve done that much better on their own, especially Holland. Holland had a year that STRONGLY outdid the best of those before him here that got drafted, Id say he outdid Lemonier and Carl's best in spades. Id also be willing to say he outdid Ford in 2013, but thats a tough argument to make. Another simple thing is that those three were just more of physical freaks (more so Carl and Dee than Corey). 

I hate that you cant test the waters and come back like in CBB. Neither do the athlete enough justice as far as deciding on your future, but both (mainly CBB) are trying to make spades. Maybe we see a similar system instituted before long. Basically all you  know about your future is what your agents telling you, and sometimes agents are trying to eat off your hype like any "analysts". Its a sad game to play when you look back at these guys who might end up financially stuck for years hoping for that big break cause of some bad info. I wish Holland the best tho, one of the best defensive players I've witnessed.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I didn't know how I felt about players returning if undrafted but the more arguments I see for it the more it makes sense. The number of kids leaving early has just skyrocketed.

I’m not trying to say anything negative about Holland, but he was not ready for the draft this year.    He only played one full season and showed some good things and not so good things at times.   If I were his parent, I would have highly encouraged him to return for another year.   

30 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Pettway waived by the Vikings.

Well that was quick. Cup of coffee then out the door. 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not trying to say anything negative about Holland, but he was not ready for the draft this year.    He only played one full season and showed some good things and not so good things at times.   If I were his parent, I would have highly encouraged him to return for another year.   

maybe someone should have told him that 1 good season in college wasnt enough.   

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I feel as if you are a projected 3rd day draft pick, you should always come back

5 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

maybe someone should have told him that 1 good season in college wasnt enough.   

Lots of young players seem to make that mistake....not so many NFL General Managers do however.

11 hours ago, DAG said:

I feel as if you are a projected 3rd day draft pick, you should always come back

Sadly, these kids have been programmed from a very early age to seek out $$$. 3rd round is A LOT of money.

The really sad thing with Holland is that I saw him projected 6th round by several guys before he declared. It seems like he was looking at best case scenario vs worst case.

A Head Coach that has a solid relationship with NFL Scouts can do wonders in the area of giving his talented players a serious analysis and critique way before the draft.   Many programs employ support staffers who's soul responsibility is to teach and educate players on what to expect from NFL Scouts and how to handle themselves professionally in their presence.  Treat it like a dang job interview and know who to handle yourself!

Provide a welcoming atmosphere for the scouts, give them unlimited access to the background and performance regimes of the players, unlimited film access and then let the Scouts give an honest report on the players considering the draft.  Allow the Scouts to be up front and honest and if they specifically tell a player what they need to gather their information for evaluation, then that player should do everything in his power to accommodate.  

It's one thing to develop a talented player to become a contributor at the college level, but any HC that fails to equip that talent for the next level is doing a disservice to his players and the program that pays his salary.

JMHO

Link

Interesting quote from Roc Thomas:

"I got beat out by Jeremy Johnson, who was an outstanding quarterback in high school," Thomas said. "He's a great guy. Big ups to him.

"I got the [2013] Mr. Football, and that kind of set me up," Thomas added. "I already knew I was going to Auburn, so I was like, 'OK, I'm in there, I'm going to go in, compete my [tail] off and try to win a starting spot. I got in there and everything was good."

Thomas had 43 rushes in each of his first two seasons at Auburn, totaling 475 yards and three scores on the ground in a crowded backfield before transferring for an expanded role.

"The journey has been great. I wouldn't take anything back, but it just wasn't the place that I wanted to be and wasn't the system I wanted to be in," Thomas said. "I transferred and got into a better system where I was getting the ball more and I was [playing] more positions.

"I was just wanting the ball in my hands, not greedy, but, 'I can make plays,' type of stuff," Thomas said. "You want to have the ball in the best players' - plural - hands all of the time."

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Link

'I can make plays,' type of stuff," Thomas said. "You want to have the ball in the best players' - plural - hands all of the time."

Roster Management.

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

"I was just wanting the ball in my hands, not greedy, but, 'I can make plays,' type of stuff," Thomas said. "You want to have the ball in the best players' - plural - hands all of the time."

Interesting quote considering that the coaches wanted the same thing, but when they tried to move him into a position that was naturally a better fit for his talent, so they could do just that, he bailed for a team that would keep him at running back. I found it extremely telling that, in his draft profile, even some of the analysts said he was a better fit where Auburn wanted to move him.

Truth is he transferred to a school where he was a big fish because he was surrounded by and playing against lesser talent.

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Link

"I got beat out by Jeremy Johnson, who was an outstanding quarterback in high school," Thomas said. "He's a great guy. Big ups to him.

"I got the [2013] Mr. Football, and that kind of set me up," Thomas added. "I already knew I was going to Auburn, so I was like, 'OK, I'm in there, I'm going to go in, compete my [tail] off and try to win a starting spot. I got in there and everything was good."

Thomas had 43 rushes in each of his first two seasons at Auburn, totaling 475 yards and three scores on the ground in a crowded backfield before transferring for an expanded role.

"The journey has been great. I wouldn't take anything back, but it just wasn't the place that I wanted to be and wasn't the system I wanted to be in," Thomas said. "I transferred and got into a better system where I was getting the ball more and I was [playing] more positions.

He bet on himself . Good for him. Our HC has done it multiple times. I hope it works out for him.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:30 PM, aubaseball said:

Pretty sure his mom passed away awhile ago. Not a guilt trip, but some perspective.

Archived