Auburn in the 2018 NFL Draft

metafour

@GwillMac6 did you see the little trash talk between Tim Williams/Rashaan Evans and Jeff Holland on Twitter? Classic bammer. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

@GwillMac6 did you see the little trash talk between Tim Williams/Rashaan Evans and Jeff Holland on Twitter? Classic bammer. 

NO!!! when was this?! I def got to peep it.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

True but NBA only has 2 rounds I think...or maybe 3 so unless a kid is totally out of touch they should be expecting not to get drafted...and of course most don't get agents and should be the same for NFL    But...the league is so tied to agents,  I'm wondering if they would do that.   Just thinking that for underclassmen like Holland who don't know their status until the draft is done....should have the option to return IF they have stayed in good academic standing with their school. 

The other side of the story is.....sometimes a guy is better off being a UFA than a 10th round pick to some team that really does not need him.    Looks like our UDA players found a home quickly which might mean they will have a reasonable chance to make the 53 man squad.  Hoping so. 

The only issue with that is they would be ineligible if a team contacted them about sign as an undrafted free agency. As you can see, most teams have already contacted players prior to the draft end as many already have worked out an undrafted free agent deal as soon as the last pick has been made. Therefore, guys would have to sign something saying that as soon as the draft is over, they forego any option of a team contacting them if they don’t get drafted to comeback to their old college team. I can’t see how anyone would regulate that nor do I see players being happy about that either.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

The only issue with that is they would be ineligible if a team contacted them about sign as an undrafted free agency. As you can see, most teams have already contacted players prior to the draft end as many already have worked out an undrafted free agent deal as soon as the last pick has been made. Therefore, guys would have to sign something saying that as soon as the draft is over, they forego any option of a team contacting them if they don’t get drafted to comeback to their old college team. I can’t see how anyone would regulate that nor do I see players being happy about that either.

I think you are right....just thinking though,  if players wanted to have the option to return to college after failing to be drafted, they would have give up the right to shop themselves around on the free agent market. Probably however, once they have mentally withdrawn from college with the intent of playing professional ball, there would be little or no interest to return. ...so probably I'm proposing a solution for which there no problem.:) 

If they make a bad decision, that's just tough....happens all the time to people who marry the wrong spouse, take the wrong job or sign with the wrong college.  Just have to live with your decisions and make the best of them.....not many "do overs" in life. 

What can a Udfa expect to get paid or even a practice squad player?

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

$7,200 per week minimum to be on a practice squad. Not too shabby. 

2 hours ago, toddc said:

I've been an undrafted free agent for 20-odd years and I ain't seen a dime. :dunno:

9 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

$7,200 per week minimum to be on a practice squad. Not too shabby. 

As a UFA they can cut you in the middle of a practice and that is about it.    Basically signing up to try out. I am wondering if there are limits to how many a team can sign?.  Practice squad is first step up for a UFA.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

As a UFA they can cut you in the middle of a practice and that is about it.    Basically signing up to try out. I am wondering if there are limits to how many a team can sign?.  Practice squad is first step up for a UFA.

Pretty sure that the practice squad salaries counts towards their cap space so thats how its limited.

As for Holland, I'm pretty sure his mind was made up he was going pro no matter what.  I think an agent got to him and offered a signing bonus and he couldn't pass it up.  He was posting pictures at some mansion, all blinged out in a new truck the day after the UCF game.

11 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Image isn't showing up for me. 

Dang you man. Just Sean Combs throwing up the benjamins.

4 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

As for Holland, I'm pretty sure his mind was made up he was going pro no matter what.  I think an agent got to him and offered a signing bonus and he couldn't pass it up.  He was posting pictures at some mansion, all blinged out in a new truck the day after the UCF game.

Exactly he was looking like he an NFL players weeks before the draft.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

There are no limits to how many you can sign, the only number that matters is the 90 man roster limit

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

There are no limits to how many you can sign, the only number that matters is the 90 man roster limit

I recall tracking the Panthers a few years ago and they were cutting UFAs almost every day....some barely made it though a few sessions and I'm thinking they came in our to shape looking for a quick paycheck or something.  Gotta make the cut to make the bucks....otherwise I understand they get paid pretty much a daily rate or something...and geez...just saw the signing bonuses....in the $3000-5000 range.  Teams have a limited amount they can pay and they split it up according to how bad they want a guy.....but any way you look at it....it is peanuts.

All of the undrafted free agents sign three-year, $1.575 million contracts. But the signing bonus is the only guaranteed money in the contract. Players need to make the 53-man regular season roster to start collecting from their contract.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/28/17293694/nfl-draft-udfa-signings-tracker-results-2018

www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/05/how_much_were_the_signing_bonuses_for_rutgers_undr.html

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I recall tracking the Panthers a few years ago and they were cutting UFAs almost every day....some barely made it though a few sessions and I'm thinking they came in our to shape looking for a quick paycheck or something

Yeah, they cut players with a quickness. Roster bas to be at 53 to start the season. Have to imagine Holland will need to make his living as a ST stud early on if he wants to make it past the final cut.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah, they cut players with a quickness. Roster bas to be at 53 to start the season. Have to imagine Holland will need to make his living as a ST stud early on if he wants to make it past the final cut.

I recall being at a couple early practices in Spartanburg a few years ago.....players all over the place.....and within a couple weeks about half were gone.  Coaches must have a quick trigger to decide who is worth spending time with.   About any screw-up or "incident" and the guys are pretty much gone....tremendous pressure on those guys to somehow make an favorable impression. 

If you want a model for kids to come back to play if not selected or even if they are selected, take a look at how college hockey does it.  This model could be employed for basketball and football, this could also take some of the money out of the hands of handlers and the leagues where shoe companies pay those basketball coaches to steer players.

Interesting piece in al.com today...Casanova McKenzie as life of a UFA ....not easy......nomad football players trying to find somewhere to play!

On 4/28/2018 at 5:10 PM, DAG said:

People act like Carlton Davis didn’t get drafted. Granted I am sure he would’ve liked to get in the first round but my goodness he got drafted one round later. He is fine. 

I think it's mostly that we would love to have him and some others for another year. Who wouldn't love to see Davis and Holland return for this upcoming season? It sure would have been a huge help!

On 4/30/2018 at 2:24 PM, WFE12 said:

Exactly he was looking like he an NFL players weeks before the draft.

Must be humiliating as hell to show out like that, then end up going undrafted altogether.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Must be humiliating as hell to show out like that, then end up going undrafted altogether.

Yep...But I hope he succeeds.

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

I think it's mostly that we would love to have him and some others for another year. Who wouldn't love to see Davis and Holland return for this upcoming season? It sure would have been a huge help!

I know the local radio down here is nothing but complementary on Davis.  They are excited to have him.  They keep reminding the Audience that 2nd rounders make the pro bowl just as much as 1st rounders....I think you are right that some just wanted him to come back but the secondary should be ok next year.

16 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

... but the secondary should be ok next year.

So much of that depends on the 2nd safety position. Dinson will be good back there, but there is a huge question mark lined up next to him. Also, if there is any injury back there we might be in a lot of trouble.

Archived