WDE_OxPx_2010

53 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It was Mullen. 90% sure. 

And 10% Pruitt

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

..sorry, guess we're full derail now....

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

...Now, back to Kermit.

Derail derailed?

5c475fca-82ec-4e79-bf01-b34abcacf3b5_tex

@McLoofus, I used the quotes on purpose. I don’t actually hate Drake. I don’t know him. I hate him in a hater’s way because he’s a lame rapper. Thus, the air quotes. It’s not real hate. 

Also, Mullen makes the most sense to me, but he should be careful about throwing those stones in that mediocre looking glass house of his. 

24 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Think it was Mullen by process of elimination. It wasn't Saban, it mentions Ga. getting beat so I don't think it was Smart. I don't think this is Muschamps personality, Beliemma is gone, and one last possibility is Fisher but I don't think so.

Mullen ?...I can buy that.....he has 2-15 record against ranked opponents and Gus has done well against him plus Gus bought....stole his prize QB recruit back in 2009.  I'm thinking that DM probably still dreams of what could have been with Cam as his QB at MSU.   And perhaps most important is that he could be the guy riding to glory and a big contract on Cam's broad shoulders......which would  have made it possible for him to get out of Starkvegas about 5 or 6 years ago.  Instead, hung around there and won just enough games to keep MSU fans satisfied....... but not enough to rack up that $7 million contract that Gus has.....and that he is apparently so envious of. 

So make my vote 75% Mullen and 25% Smart

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

@McLoofus, I used the quotes on purpose. I don’t actually hate Drake. I don’t know him. I hate him in a hater’s way because he’s a lame rapper. Thus, the air quotes. It’s not real hate. 

Also, Mullen makes the most sense to me, but he should be careful about throwing those stones in that mediocre looking glass house of his. 

You used the quotes the 2nd time around, but not the 1st, which was my point. I understood you both times.

Mullen had 3 top 20 final rankings in 9 years at MSU. MSU had 1 such season in the 28 years prior. 

MSU also spent a week at #1 under Mullen. That had never happened in school history. 

He may or may not succeed at UF but some seem to be forgetting which school he's been coaching at the last few years. 

11 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Really? Being average at the only thing that brought you fame is a dumb reason to “hate” someone? Seems like damn near the only acceptable reason to be a hater. 

You just defined what a hater is lol. Good job. You hate him because in your eyes he is average and shouldn't have fame to go with it. That is super corny. That is like you seeing a fine woman and then you see her guy and because you think he is average, you hate him. What?! Yeah, if you think that way you are a corny individual. 

No different than the people who hate NS on that same basis.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Mullen had 3 top 20 final rankings in 9 years at MSU. MSU had 1 such season in the 28 years prior. 

MSU also spent a week at #1 under Mullen. That had never happened in school history. 

He may or may not succeed at UF but some seem to be forgetting which school he's been coaching at the last few years. 

Exactly. I guess I can see Mullen saying that too and being bitter, but please don't act like he is bringing in AU talent at Mississippi State lol.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

For someone who is rather fond of picking nits, you should know that the scare quotes change your message quite a bit. 

Either way, severely mistreating women ways is a good reason that a lot of people hate- not "hate"- R. Kelly and Chris Brown. Victim shaming is a reason that a lot of people hate that douchebag from Eagles of Death Metal. Just generally giving the appearance of being an entitled, culture-appropriating little prick is why a lot of people hate Justin Bieber. 

As for Drake, Pusha T just got incredibly specific about hating him. :blink:

Drake got to respond today

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly. I guess I can see Mullen saying that too and being bitter, but please don't act like he is bringing in AU talent at Mississippi State lol.

Not sure what you meant here (bolded)?  Not sure anyone is claiming he brought in top talent (enough of it) at MSU.

I think we're in agreement that (butthead or not) the fact that he did what he did with MSU talent vs AU talent is impressive and why it'll be interesting to see how good he is with UF talent.  There should be no limit to what he can do in G'ville.

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

I'm not sure what kind of coach DM is...spent 9 years at MSU....had a couple flashes when he had DAK and could have left any time to a better job which was his choice.  MSU is no worse than dozens of Power 5 schools as far as recruiting, location or whatever.   Good coaches have a way of bringing talent to some out of the way places or unremarkable schools.  Just look at the top 25 over the past 7 or 8 years and some schools on that list that make you wonder how the coaches did it.

I have a hard time excusing his record just because of where he was.     BUT...in some ways, Cam was his ticket out of town and AU (Gus?) ended up getting Cam and making his reputation on that perhaps....Mullen thought AU cheated and likely was the source of the complaint that brought the NCAA down on us.  I doubt that a clean report by the NCAA convinced him of anything.

Florida is the chance to prove himself and I hope he does well and gives Uga and UT some things to worry about. 

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

MSU is no worse than dozens of Power 5 schools as far as recruiting, location or whatever.   

Except those others don't play in the SEC west. That's a huge difference.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's wan't Boom. He isn't that way at all. Get fired up on practice and during games but he isn't a scumbag. 

It was Mullen. 90% sure. 

Well.. anyone who's been around here any period of time knows my opinion of Dan "I'm only as good as my QB" Mullen.

The only reason I thought it might be Muschamp is that he has made it clear that he isn't a Gus fan.

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Except those others don't play in the SEC west. That's a huge difference.

That's about W-L records......what I'm talking about is the appeal of the school.  Playing in the SEC is considered something special by lots of recruits and I understand that coaches use that as a selling point.  Now living in a crappy town out in the middle of nowhere is a different story......like Washington State for example which someone described today as like living on the moon.  :dunno:

56 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Not sure what you meant here (bolded)? 

54 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I have a hard time excusing his record just because of where he was.

He is coaching at Mississippi State in the freaking SEC West. People like to bring up his horrific top 25 opponent record, but at the same time dismiss the fact that he is coaching at Mississippi State and facing teams with a tremendous amount of more talent. However, we have no problem dismissing our losing records against our rivals because they recruit "better" than us. I don't like these different set of standards. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

He is coaching at Mississippi State in the freaking SEC West. People like to bring up his horrific top 25 opponent record, but at the same time dismiss the fact that he is coaching at Mississippi State and facing teams with a tremendous amount of more talent. However, we have no problem dismissing our losing records against our rivals because they recruit "better" than us. I don't like these different set of standards. 

Gotcha.

For my part, I was wondering what you meant in reply to Loof's quote.  

I think we're all in agreement here.

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's about W-L records......what I'm talking about is the appeal of the school.  Playing in the SEC is considered something special by lots of recruits and I understand that coaches use that as a selling point.  Now living in a crappy town out in the middle of nowhere is a different story......like Washington State for example which someone described today as like living on the moon.  :dunno:

Really not sure what your point is. You mentioned his record earlier but now don't want to talk about it. 

Then you wanted to talk about recruiting. As of July 2017, Rivals had MSU as the 23rd best team in the country in terms of recruiting the prior 5 years. 

Now you're talking about crappy towns out in the middle of nowhere. Out of respect for some people on this forum that I like a lot, I will not call Starkville crappy. But have you ever been there? Washington State? Starkville ain't no Pullman.

As for not making excuses for Mullen based on where he's been coaching, it's far more valid than many of the ridiculous excuses that are constantly shoveled out for Gus's many failures the last few years. Many of which have gotten this thread closer to that 100 pages mark. Go team!

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Gotcha.

For my part, I was wondering what you meant in reply to Loof's quote.  

I think we're all in agreement here.

Well, I think Loof was responding to a post comparing Gus to Mullen. Okay, that is cool but keep the same standards is all I ask. Or at least explain to me the difference. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As of July 2017, Rivals had MSU as the 23rd best team in the country in terms of recruiting the prior 5 years. 

This is a very good link. I wish  I could find an updated version. A lot of underachievement haha.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, I think Loof was responding to a post comparing Gus to Mullen. Okay, that is cool but keep the same standards is all I ask. Or at least explain to me the difference. 

Gotcha.  I agree.

It's going to be a much more interesting comparison over the next few years.

I just hope Gus applies all of the learning moments he's been provided with the last 4 years LOL!  He should have his doctorate in what NOT to do by now.

Sorry...that was low hanging fruit.

@DAG, I sports hate Saban because he’s at Bama. No further reason provided or needed. An Auburn fan hating Bama’s coach is sort of definitionally corny or predictable. I’m comfortable with that. 

Mullen has been above average at MSU, but Gus has actually been above average at Auburn. Over the last 30 years, Auburn has averaged just north of 8 wins a year (8.3 to be precise). Gus has won an SEC championship, played for another (matching Tubs’ totals in half the time and exceeding Bowden or Chizik), and fallen below 8 wins only once (by one game). Like it or not, that’s not mediocre at Auburn. If Gus is mediocre, Mullen is too. 

I suspect they’re both above average coaches. One has proven capable of winning a championship; one has not. But both have been VERY successful coordinators and above average head coaches. 

I think Mullen did a great job at State. He times always played us tough until 2016. I think he has a more sophisticated passing game, but he has made some questionable game planning decisions as well. Hell, every HC has at some point. 

What  I wonder about with Mullen is how he handles UF and it’s PTB/Expectations. 

19 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

I think Mullen did a great job at State. He times always played us tough until 2016. I think he has a more sophisticated passing game, but he has made some questionable game planning decisions as well. Hell, every HC has at some point. 

What  I wonder about with Mullen is how he handles UF and it’s PTB/Expectations. 

That is a good point and might balance out the huge boost he will receive in recruiting.  He'll have an abundance to choose from that he's not used to at MSU but he's expected to produce. 

The good news is that they've really kinda sucked since Urbs quit on them so any inkling of success will make them happy (early on).  Plus, they really seem to like Mullen down here so if anyone would receive a grace period, it's him.

....and yes, I realize they've won the SEC East a few times, but they realize that their Div. is Div. B so it's not been that impressive to those with a decent football IQ.  Spurrier spoiled them.

21 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

This is where we really evaluate how good of a coach he is. He now has the horses to compete at a high level.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Well.. anyone who's been around here any period of time knows my opinion of Dan "I'm only as good as my QB" Mullen.

The only reason I thought it might be Muschamp is that he has made it clear that he isn't a Gus fan.

He wasn't a fan of how Gus operated and managed his program, practices, game preparation, talent evaluation, or the way Gus chose to recruit the talent with a lack of focus on defense.  It ended up Muschamp is exactly what Auburn needed at the time to get the defense to SEC caliber.  

Muschamp was not a Jay Jacobs fan but I'm not aware that he had any personal issue with Gus to the point that he'd make those anonymous statements to some off-season rag trying to push magazine sales.

Archived