Null



Sign in to follow this  
LKEEL75

Update on 4 2018 Signees Not Yet Enrolled (Oladele update 7/9/18)

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

 

Question.  He signed letter of intent correct?  So, does he count against the 25?  And, does he have to sit a year if he goes to another school? Please explain if he counts against us, but can enroll and play at another school immediately.  Seems like they would go together (counting against AU and sitting out a year at new school).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

but his decision to not attend Auburn was ultimately the Tigers' call.

Something happened that we're not hearing about here and it has nothing to do with the clearing house. The spot is lost anyway so if it was a slow clearing house issue we'd simply wait to see the result. Nothing is gained by not waiting on the clearing house decision. Something else came into play.

This is quite a loss, the guy fits right in with what Garner wants to do with his D-line guys.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Question.  He signed letter of intent correct?  So, does he count against the 25?  And, does he have to sit a year if he goes to another school? Please explain if he counts against us, but can enroll and play at another school immediately.  Seems like they would go together (counting against AU and sitting out a year at new school).

It's the same situation with Carlos Gonzalez who signed with us and enrolled at Memphis as far as that goes, but I'm not sure how that turned out as far as our spots for the year

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know they are two completely different situations, but this is the 2nd year in a row that our compliance department hasn’t been able to get a kid qualified. And I would imagine that we’ve known about this kid’s situation for several months now...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I know they are two completely different situations, but this is the 2nd year in a row that our compliance department hasn’t been able to get a kid qualified. And I would imagine that we’ve known about this kid’s situation for several months now...

Hasn't it been said we have one of the strictest compliance departments in the country with that dude who used to work for the Ncaa Rich McGlynn running it now? I remember there being rumors pearl was not happy when purifoy had to sit for the year in his freshmen season.

Edited by GwillMac6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Isn't it said we have one of the strictest compliance departments in the country with that dude who used to work for the ncaa running it now? I remember there being rumors pearl was not happy when purifoy had to sit for the year.

Given Oladele’s situation, the compliance department possibly signed off on the commitment knowing it was only a 50-50 shot of getting in. I guess it was worth the gamble. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Question.  He signed letter of intent correct?  So, does he count against the 25?  And, does he have to sit a year if he goes to another school? Please explain if he counts against us, but can enroll and play at another school immediately.  Seems like they would go together (counting against AU and sitting out a year at new school).

Carlito did not have to sit his freshman year so I don't think Oladele would have to sit.

Edited by ellitor
corrected info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It's the same situation with Carlos Gonzalez who signed with us and enrolled at Memphis as far as that goes, but I'm not sure how that turned out as far as our spots for the year

Same situation but different rules in place When he signed there were essentially 2 different 25 limits. A signed 25 & enrolled/initial counter 25 limit. If a player signed but did not enroll they didn't count to the yearly 25 initial counter limit. CG signed with AU before the new rule went into effect Aug. 1, 2017 that made NLIs & enrollies both count in the same 25 as initial counters. He initially counted on the signed 25 limit but not the IC limit.

Edited by ellitor
Corrected info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hasn't it been said we have one of the strictest compliance departments in the country with that dude who used to work for the Ncaa Rich McGlynn running it now? I remember there being rumors pearl was not happy when purifoy had to sit for the year in his freshmen season.

Don't think NCAA is an issue here. If it was then other D1 schools would not be an option & they appear to be an option. It's more likely he didn't meet Auburn University requirements.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I know they are two completely different situations, but this is the 2nd year in a row that our compliance department hasn’t been able to get a kid qualified. And I would imagine that we’ve known about this kid’s situation for several months now...

What is the world does our compliance department have to do with getting a kid qualified?  That's completely ridiculous.  That's entirely up to the kid and his guidance counselors in high school.  It has absolutely NOTHING to do with our compliance department.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hasn't it been said we have one of the strictest compliance departments in the country with that dude who used to work for the Ncaa Rich McGlynn running it now? I remember there being rumors pearl was not happy when purifoy had to sit for the year in his freshmen season.

Maybe so, but we seem to have our fair share of last minute qualifiers with summer and online courses to get qualified. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Maybe so, but we seem to have our fair share of last minute qualifiers with summer and online courses to get qualified. 

Most schools have some n that situation every year.

Edited by ellitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I still can't tell if this is a visa issue or a grades issue. Apologies if I'm just being ign'ant.

If a visa issue- and I promise I'm not trying to start a political conversation, and y'all please don't respond as though I'm voicing an opinion about anything,  and please nuke this post if it heads that way- but I wonder if any changes in immigration laws or enforcement thereof could have come into play. I am only assuming this guy is from Nigeria and I have no idea if anything  has actually changed that would even remotely affect his status. Just wondering out loud here since it seems a bit murky. 

Edited by McLoofus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Most schools have sihneesin that situation every year.

E's so good, he speaks his OWN language!!!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

What is the world does our compliance department have to do with getting a kid qualified?  That's completely ridiculous.  That's entirely up to the kid and his guidance counselors in high school.  It has absolutely NOTHING to do with our compliance department.

Our compliance dept help kids all the time. Help set up programs to get kids that are lacking academically lacking on track to get into AU. (I'm not blaming the compliance dept for this., just giving a little info)  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So I still can't tell if this is a visa issue or a grades issue. Apologies if I'm just being ign'ant.

If a visa issue- and I promise I'm not trying to start a political conversation, and y'all please don't respond as though I'm voicing an opinion about anything,  and please nuke this post if it heads that way- but I wonder if any changes in immigration laws or enforcement thereof could have come into play. I am only assuming this guy is from Nigeria and I have no idea if anything  has actually changed that would even remotely affect his status. Just wondering out loud here since it seems a bit murky. 

Visa issue was a high school thing last year. Not a problem now. Other D1 schools are looking at taking him now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

E's so good, he speaks his OWN language!!!

My phone is a pain in the butt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My phone is a pain in the butt.

HaHa, I get it.  Dang autocorrect...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

HaHa, I get it.  Dang autocorrect...

Eggzactary!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2018/07/four-star-oladele-decommit

Student visa's & many other temporary resident immigration situations in the US (& every other country I'm aware of) are usually not a one & done thing. If he was cleared for a visa last year it would be subject to renewal - how often & what's involved depends on several facts including his country of origin and reasons for being here. Country of origin can make the immigrant's status totally different from one year to the next, something not necessarily easy for Auburn to predict (e.g. Iceland funds Greenland's invasion of Maine in 2017, Icelandics will face higher immigration status scrutiny in US in 2018). I can say from personal experience & opinion that Homeland Security & the complicated Patriot Act & related laws (largely a compilation of previously lightly enforced immigration laws) have in many ways made immigration logistics clearer & smoother for the immigrant than pre terrorist attacks of 9/11.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to be clear, immigration agreements between countries to enhance numbers of student visas that will expire after a date certain (with possible options for renewal) is very common. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WarTiger said:

What is the world does our compliance department have to do with getting a kid qualified?  That's completely ridiculous.  That's entirely up to the kid and his guidance counselors in high school.  It has absolutely NOTHING to do with our compliance department.

I thought the same thing WT!

But apparently (according to WDE's post above) AU Compliance provides help, guidance, and access to programs to prospective students who haven't already done their academic due diligence on their own in advance, and wait till the last dang minute to acquire enough credit hours to obtain entrance in to Auburn.

I suppose this kid was an academic risk early on, but with the limitations (25) already in place I hate like hell to see a spot rendered null/void.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm not mistaken, this is still only the 2nd non-qual in Gus's 6 classes. Could be wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... and assuming it is an academic thing then appears it is Auburn’s more stringent academic requirements and not an overall NCAA thing ... basically my point is he was probably thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this