Washington Game Report Card

StatTiger

Game #1 Statistical Evaluation (Washington Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.81] fail
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: [50.0%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: [3.3] fail
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: [41.7%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: [8.3%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [7.6 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: [80.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%: [40.0%] fail
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: [35.0 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [56.8%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: [2/0] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: [40.5] fail
13) At least 8 impact plays: [ten] pass
14) At least 2 big plays: [0] fail
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3: [145.1] pass

Score: 9 of 15 (60.0%) Pass

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [8.54] fail
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs: [35.7%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less: [3.1] pass
04) Score 1/3 of possessions or below: [36.4%] fail
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%: [27.3%] fail
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [9.3 yds] fail
07) Score below 75% inside red zone: [66.7%] pass
08) TD red zone below 60%: [16.7%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession: [36.2 yds] fail
10) 40% or less of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [40.0%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: [1/2] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps: [65.0] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays: [Nine] fail
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [2] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0: [138.0] fail

* Bonus point for 1 TD allowed in 6 red zone possessions

Score: 8 of 15 (53.3%) Pass

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): [39.0] fail
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [14.0] pass
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [0.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [16.0] fail
6) PAT’s (100%): [2 / 2] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [60.0%] fail

Score: 4 of 7 (57.1%) Pass

* 50% is a passing score.

Before the season opener, Auburn under Gus Malzahn was 3-8 in games the offense was held to under 150-yards rushing and 1-7 against ranked competition. Jarrett Stidham's 26 of 36 performance for 273-yards was the key on offense to skate past the No. 6 Huskies. The heavy dose of intermediate routes over the middle was a breath of fresh air as Washington was content with not allowing anything over the top of their secondary. Of Auburn's ten impact plays, eight came via the passing game. During their previous 16 meetings against top-10 opponents (2013-2018), Auburn averaged 7.6 impact plays per game on offense.

Of Auburn's 26 completions, 11 were completed to a running back or H-Back, a good sign for the Auburn moving forward. Spreading the football around will only make the offense more difficult to defend. Utilizing Chandler Cox as a runner and receiver was a nice touch and another sign of the offense being less predictable. I thought the running backs played well considering the lack of holes created by the offensive line. They ran hard and did not have many opportunities to break into the second level of the defense. The offensive line has adjustments to make, but they did play against a quality defense in the Washington Huskies.

The lack of a consistent running game hurt Auburn the most inside the red zone as the Tigers scored only two touchdowns on five trips inside the red zone. Ryan Davis looks to be off to a great start returning punts as he did not hesitate to move upfield after making one move. With Jatarvious Whitlow the No. 2 running back, it might be a better move to have Shaun Shivers returning kickoffs. Speaking of Whitlow, there will likely be the fan expectation of moving him up to No. 1 at running back, primarily on the game-winning touchdown. He packs more power than Martin, but the winning score had more to do with design (double-teaming at the point of attack), than the run itself. I do believe Martin and Whitlow will end up being a good 1-2 punch down the road.

After gaining 280-yards on offense, Auburn mustered only 146-yards during the second-half. Once again, the lack of a consistent running game hindered the Auburn offense. Despite the lack of explosiveness in the running game, the Auburn offense threw the football 42.4% of the time on first down. This was another indicator the offense is continuing to grow under Chip Lindsey and becoming less predictable. Only time will tell how impressive the season-opening win was, but it was wonderful to register a "team" victory against a quality opponent away from Jordan-Hare.

War Eagle!

Thanks stat! War Eagle ? 

9 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I know this is not new but what is the reasoning behind a passing score being 50%?

The standards established are based on some national averages and Auburn averages. Because the goal is to reach the average in each category, I rate 50% as a passing grade.

Thanks Stuart. Greatly appreciated. WDE!!!

Stat, would be great to see a breakdown of what exactly happened on that touchdown play, especially since you mentioned the design of it being what allowed Whitlow to score. I think that was a stellar playcall (helps that it worked haha).

One thing I was excited to see in the passing game was back shoulder throws. The receiving corps, coupled with Stidham's abilities is going to be a big strength of this team, which is one reason I'm glad we passed the ball 42% of the time on 1st Down. 

If you take away the SECCG and Peach Bowl, ever since the LSU game last year, I have been thoroughly impressed with the coaching staff. They have reversed a lot of trends and have put the team in contention to do some really good things this year, especially if the Offensive Line can get strong.

Thanks Stuart. Greatly appreciated. WDE!!!

THanks! Enjoyed the read!

6 yard average on first down is high ask. Surpised that’s the expectation. I’d say if you average 5 yards in first down your doing well. 

Also strange to see the O actually grades out higher than the D. 

Great stuff as always, ST.  If you don't mind me tacking on...here's a look at what our guys did on the career stats charts:

* Kam Martin reached 1,000 career all-purpose yards

* Ryan Davis passed Rod Smith and Darvin Adams to move up to 8th all-time in receptions

Looking forward to Alabama State:

* Darius Slayton needs 14 yards for 1,000 career receiving and all-purpose yards

* Jarrett Stidham needs 12 completions to enter the career top 10 (12 to tie Nick Marshall at # 10, 13 to pass him)

* Davis needs 2 receptions to pass Emory Blake for 6th all-time (this is the likeliest of school career records to be broken this year, Davis needs 38 to break Courtney Taylor's career mark)

Thanks Stat! You're the best. Our goal line D definitely deserved the bonus!
War Eagle.

8 hours ago, gravejd said:

THanks! Enjoyed the read!

6 yard average on first down is high ask. Surpised that’s the expectation. I’d say if you average 5 yards in first down your doing well. 

Also strange to see the O actually grades out higher than the D. 

The national average the last five years is 5.98 yards per play on first down.

Archived