What is off about this team?

tigeraddikt

Yeah, I agree that we were plainly and simply overrated in the preseason, by the same sort of mindless talking heads that yearly predict the demise of the New England Patriots.

I believed them.  I believed all the hype.  And I've had a hard time accepting that we're not near as good as predicted, but I've finally accepted it. 

I now think that next year's team will accomplish everything we thought this year's team would.

I'll take that, and be thankful for it.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Yeah, I agree that we were plainly and simply overrated in the preseason, by the same sort of mindless talking heads that yearly predict the demise of the New England Patriots.

I believed them.  I believed all the hype.  And I've had a hard time accepting that we're not near as good as predicted, but I've finally accepted it. 

I now think that next year's team will accomplish everything we thought this year's team would.

I'll take that, and be thankful for it.

I'm not yet clear on whether we were over-rated or have under-performed.    Incoming talent has been pretty good though it's painful to see bama out-recruiting us in basketball too. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm not yet clear on whether we were over-rated or have under-performed.    Incoming talent has been pretty good though it's painful to see bama out-recruiting us in basketball too. 

I think it’s both but more underperforming. 

It's really not hard to figure out.....how many of our positions would you treads for if EVERY team was available? But that may not work if you're not objective. Look at other things......I'm a supposed Bryce Brown hater.....but think about this how many players have you seen that can hardly dribble under pressure, can't create space to get his own shot.....ever be a top scorer? You think that's talent or the system? Every other situation in basketball that type of player is a complement at best.....where else do you see that type of player is a team leader as far a scoring? You HAVE to pair a player like him with somebody that COMPLEMENTS him. A guy that can break down defenders easy. A guy who attacks the basket, a guy who's unselfish and their mind is more geared to passing than shooting, a guy who can see the floor well....

What about A mac? An excellent help side defender but he doesn't have the bulk to do dirty work. He's at his best when he's an help side defender, you attack him because of his aggressive nature of blocking shots he's going to be out of position for rebounds or he's going to foul alot......you HAVE to pair a player like that with somebody that COMPLEMENTS him. Somebody that's disciplined, that's not trying to block everything. Somebody that's going to be in the way. Bumping and bruising. 

This is just a couple of examples but there's many more. No it's not underperforming it's people not understanding that limited players that were playing in an ideal situation and those condition changed or new people produce those conditions in a much more sporadic nature. But the evaluators thought they could do this in all situations and when people that did many intangible or things that doesn't just stand out or you can't just look at a column and quantify those things. They don't understand it

So you now say underperforming but you basically made a mistake thinking your kid was a nba star because he had a couple of 30 point games at his small school in the community when the entire time he was a bench player at best when all resources wasn't centered around him to succeed.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, WarEagle1983 said:

Bingo. We have to have a plan B if the 3s are not hitting. To me it's simple as just driving the ball....go to the FT. I'm going to keep begging for this. Plus our defense is not good right now.

Except alot of times the refs are not calling fouls and then their bigs block our undersized guys shot. We are just outmatched on size against many teams, so when the threes aren't falling we are at a huge disavantage.

I will say the problem right now is the team is not playing as a team and their confidence has been wounded seriously. The whole thing can and probably will swing back after one sucessful game. In basketball things like this happen often .

Archived