Carnell Williams new RB coach

WarGolfEagle

10 hours ago, im4aual said:

I like the hire.  Those who don't seem to base their opinion on two assumptions. The first is that since Gus hired him and they believe Gus to be inept at everything, so he must be bad.  That's their view and they are entitled to it, although I wish that they didn't feel the need to constantly remind the rest of us that that's their view.  The other assumption is that since he has limited coaching and recruiting experience, he will fail at both.  I have no idea how good a coach he will be, but he certainly knows more about playing running back at the highest level than anyone on this board and deserves the benefit of the doubt if for no other reason than he has been successful at everything he has attempted.  While it's true that his ability to recruit is unknown, he has all the tools to be a great recruiter.  He was recruited by every elite program in high school, and has a knowledge base there that will prove valuable.  Every high school coach in the country know who Cadillac Williams is, which puts him ahead of almost every other first year coach on the recruiting trail - and his accomplishments on the field earn him respect from those same coaches.  Any kid who Googles his name will see a highlight reel unlikely to be matched by any other recruiter.  Parents will get to meet a genuinely great individual who is the best example of what Auburn can do for their son - great college and pro career, managed his money well, got his college degree, and is now coaching a game he loves at a school he loves.  Please remember, all of the negatives people are throwing out about this hire are the same things that could have been said about Pat Sullivan when Pat Dye hired him in 1986, and all he did was revamp our offense, beat bama four straight years, and win three SEC titles.  Would it really be the worst thing to support Cadillac and give him a chance?

Shug Jordan once said "if they don't think an Auburn man can get the job done, they ought to close the place down."

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry, I thought you brought up recent relevance by saying that Clemson and uga belong with that other group. 

Michigan's and USC's recent droughts are the perfect example. They haven't done crap in years and yet they're still front page news. Because they're blue bloods.

People think Auburn's in Georgia. 

People think Auburn is in Georgia because it is too nice and organized to be associated with the state of Alabama. As a proud Alabamian, I am not proud of that fact. But it's true. 

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

People think Auburn is in Georgia because it is too nice and organized to be associated with the state of Alabama. As a proud Alabamian, I am not proud of that fact. But it's true. 

I don't think that's why....people think Huntsville is in Alabama, do they not

14 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't think that's why....people think Huntsville is in Alabama, do they not

Anybody who doesn't know Auburn is in Alabama has never heard of the city of Huntsville.

Edit: also does this mean people think Huntsville is a nice city?

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Anybody who doesn't know Auburn is in Alabama has never heard of the city of Huntsville.

Not necessarily. And you make some silly arguments.

I think this hire is GREAT!

He can haul in those 5*'s from IMG and then it won't matter who their position coach is.....We've been told for years that a team can live off a roster full of 5*'s and consistently compete for championships and it doesn't make a hill of beans who coaches that talent as long as you have plenty of it.  I'm ready to load AU & the 3 deep with solid 4-5*'s.

Caddy's got a direct line to the hottest recruiting bed in the country IMG - get ready for top 5 classes folks - 'cause they comin!:party:

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not going to dig up data to prove what everyone on this board already knows. I did make one assumption and I acknowledged it and...

...I stand by it. Do keep in mind that bama has since made it to 2 national championships without winning the SEC West.

What has this got to do with the price of tea ?  I'm asking - what are the metrics - measured criteria.  You're still making assumptions.

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don't think I have seen anybody take a shot at Cadillac as a player, as a person, or as an Auburn man. I think everybody here loves him. I think everybody here believes he will work hard and be a great representative of Auburn while he does so. But none of that changes the fact he's completely unproven as a coach. Gus has hired a lot of totally unproven coaches particularly on offense, and our offense has particularly struggled for the past several years. I think people like me just view this as Gus making another dumb, Gus-like move. It may totally pay off! But like I said earlier, just because it works out, doesn't mean it wasn't a dumb move.

Say what... so if it does work out it still was a dumb move....make it make sense  for me please. I would think if it works out then it was a damn good move. 

4 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Say what... so if it does work out it still was a dumb move....make it make sense  for me please. I would think if it works out then it was a damn good move. 

Please see previous examples. It was dumb for Dock Ellis to drop acid before playing the Padres in 1970. But 9 innings later he had thrown a 2-0 no hitter. Sometimes people can make dumb choices and they work out regardless.

This wouldn't be as dumb a move by Gus if you didn't consider the context. But his seat is red hot and his staff is already full of green coaches. But maybe Caddy turns out to be the next T Will and Gus lucks out. 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Please see previous examples. It was dumb for Dock Ellis to drop acid before playing the Padres in 1970. But 9 innings later he had thrown a 2-0 no hitter. Sometimes people can make dumb choices and they work out regardless.

This wouldn't be as dumb a move by Gus if you didn't consider the context. But his seat is red hot and his staff is already full of green coaches. But maybe Caddy turns out to be the next T Will and Gus lucks out. 

None of this even matters. Gus will be gone at the end of the year. We can save all the hand wringing  for who the next head coach hires for his position coaches! lol. And yes that is the worst part of all of this. Is we cannot get excited about Auburn football again until 11 months from now. We are in sports purgatory right now.

Again, I am going to ask how does anyone honestly know that Gus did not try to get a proven experienced coach?  I for one believe that he did try to get one but most proven coaches aren’t just going to leave their previous institution for Auburn. Not under this landscape. I don’t think Cadillac was his first or second choice but I do believe he opted in taking someone who believed in his vision once those types weren’t necessarily there. Nor do I think he would’ve hired just anyone with experience. 

This is one Auburn Alum I wish we would of brought home by now!!! Dude has 1 heck of a coaching resume. Look at this mean mug!!! He would add some much needed good ol fashion CUSSIN in to the offensive meetings room!! Something that is sorely missed! lol. You know he would get after them dudes like garner does in  the defensive meeting rooms!!! lmao

ron.jpg

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

What I'd like to see instead is another Cadillac or Ronnie Brown at RB.  If he can do that, I'm all for him. 

Unfortunately for us the guy that most fits that description and even has some brandon jacobs in him who Caddy coached this past season is enrolled at bama in Trey Sanders.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Again, I am going to ask how do anyone honestly know that Gus did not try to get a proven experienced coach?  I for one believe that he did try to get one but most proven coaches aren’t just going to leave their previous institution for Auburn. Not under this landscape. I don’t think Cadillac was his first or second choice but I do believe he opted in taking someone who believed in his vision once those types weren’t necessarily there. Nor do I think he would’ve hired just anyone with experience. 

This makes way too much sense.

11 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Not in any way, shape or form. 

I would think that every single HIGH SCHOOL RUNNING BACKS COACH making chump change, if offered the RB Coach job at Auburn for hundreds of thousands of dollars regardless if they need the money or not take that offer.   Turning down the offer would be idiotic.  I love Caddy, hope everything works out.  It is also a sign of how far Gus has fallen because this is a probably a HR for him.   Also most former players will jump at the opportunity to coach at their Alma Mater, regardless of situation.  Do you wanna be the RB coach at wherever university, or high school in this case, or going back to being Auburn Legend and RB Coach?  

Fair enough.   Answer me this,  who do you prefer Horton or Caddy?   Right here,  right now?   

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Not the same ...we are talking about coaching hires. Dumb would be hiring one of us off the board and hoping it works out...or hiring my mom because she has a great personality but ha ms never played RB and say in her life. Risky hire yes...dumb I don’t think so. But that’s just my opinion..

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Again, I am going to ask how does anyone honestly know that Gus did not try to get a proven experienced coach?  I for one believe that he did try to get one but most proven coaches aren’t just going to leave their previous institution for Auburn. Not under this landscape. I don’t think Cadillac was his first or second choice but I do believe he opted in taking someone who believed in his vision once those types weren’t necessarily there. Nor do I think he would’ve hired just anyone with experience. 

I believe he sifted through a couple home run types before going to the other end of the spectrum.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Unfortunately for us the guy that most fits that description and even has some brandon jacobs in him who Caddy coached this past season is enrolled at bama in Trey Sanders.

Well damnit, Auburn will now be pulling the likes of Trey Sanders and they’ll be wearin O&B!

We need 5* studs toting the dang rock, earning trips to NYC as Heisman candidates, getting drafted in the early rounds and cementing AU as RBU again.  Caddy can get AU the top talent we need from his IMG connections.

I like the hire and hope the Caddy can bring home some excellent recruits to the fold. Next season has a lot riding on it regardless of what has transpired. Gus will either make it or break it. I want the team to win as bad as any Auburn fan regardless of who is the coach. If Gus loses to LSU, UGA & bammer, then in all likelihood there will be another coach at Auburn for 2020 season. I think most of us know this and accept this equation.

Archived