Women’s Gymnastics 2019

AlaskanFAN

So the #13 women’s Gymnastics team is 4-0 to start the year and 3-0 in the SEC

They have beaten

#29 Iowa - Jan 4th at Home

#4 LSU - Jan 11th at Home

#10 Missouri - Jan 15th away 

#6 Georgia - Tonight at Home!!!!!!!

And by the way the have done it all in front of packed houses!!!

13 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So the #13 women’s Gymnastics team is 4-0 to start the year and 3-0 in the SEC

They have beaten

#29 Iowa - Jan 4th at Home

#4 LSU - Jan 11th at Home

#10 Missouri - Jan 15th away 

#6 Georgia - Tonight at Home!!!!!!!

And by the way the have done it all in front of packed houses!!!

Wow.  A year or 2 ago we were winless, but still selected for tourney bad on average score I believe.  Still 3 top 10 wins is a hefty start.  I wish the gymnastics highlights Auburn sends out would say if we win or not. I only saw a comment about winning LSU from post meet interview.

Great win for the girls....................

No. 13 Auburn beats No. 6 Georgia with season-high 196.775

In front of a second straight sellout crowd at Auburn Arena, the No. 13 Auburn gymnastics team picked up another top-10 win – it's third in three weeks – as the Tigers posted a season-high 196.775 to knock off No. 6 Georgia (196.400) on Friday.

Auburn is now 4-0 to start the season for the first time in program history.

"First and foremost, we went into this with the mindset that this is a test for us," Auburn head coach Jeff Grabasaid. "We're trying to see how we match up against some of the best teams in the country. We knew Georgia was really good. We knew they were on a roll coming in and that their scoring potential is pretty high. I wanted to see if this team could duplicate what they did against LSU.

"I think what I take away from this is that we're better each week. It doesn't really matter who the opponent is. The tougher the opponent, the better we seem to get."

Auburn was clinging to a narrow lead heading into the final event, but the Tigers sealed the victory after yet another outstanding performance on floor.

Emma Slappey, Skyler Sheppard and Drew Watson each earned a 9.800 or higher to start, and then it was freshman Derrian Gobourne who nearly brought the house down with a 9.950 – one of the two judges gave her a perfect 10. It matched her career-high that she set against LSU two weeks ago.

"We started out strong (on floor)," senior Samantha Cerio said. "Emma Slappey started with a great routine, and the momentum kept building. Derrian's routine is always full of energy and excitement. It just gets you so pumped."

"Floor is what Derrian is really good at anyways right now," added Graba. "That's something that she's always going to wow people with. I think it's not hard to say that our girls watch that and they get juiced up out of it. I think the fans get juiced up, too. This crowd, I'm telling you, this is our secret sauce. If we get a lot of people in the stands, our girls get better."

Senior Abby Milliet followed Gobourne with a 9.850 on floor, and then Cerio finished the meet with a 9.825 as Auburn posted a season-high 49.300 on the event.

Thanks to her 9.950 on floor, Gobourne claimed the all-around title with a 39.375.

The Tigers opened the meet on vault where junior Gracie Day recorded a season-high score 9.900 to win the individual event title. Senior Taylor Krippner made her season debut on vault and led off with a 9.875 while Gobourne, Watson and senior A'Miracal Phillips each added a 9.825. It was a season-high for Phillips.

Auburn continued on bars where the team finished ahead of Georgia with a 49.050. Day claimed her second individual title of the night and matcher season-high with a 9.875. Cerio, Gobourne and Milliet all earned a 9.800 or higher on the event.

On beam, the Tigers bounced back from last week with a 49.175. All six gymnasts scored a 9.775 or higher, and it was anchor Meredith Sylvia who led the way with a 9.875. Coming in right behind her, Krippner and Milliet each earned a 9.850. Then it was the two all-arounders, Gobourne and Watson, who earned a pair of 9.800s. 

After hosting three of the first four meets, Auburn will be back on the road next week when it travels to No. 17 Kentucky for a 6 p.m. CT meet on Friday, Feb. 1.

"I don't think we need to change our mindset or change much of anything," Day said. "Gymnastics is gymnastics no matter where you go, whether it's at home or away. So, just taking our gymnastics away is all we have to do."

Derrian Gobourne is an absolute star. She has the skills to win an NCAA all-around as a FR. I know the girl at UCLA went viral for her floor routine, but Derrian can be just as impressive.  

So apparently Gymnastics rankings are really stringent I guess. New rankings this week.

Florida -2

LSU -5 (beat)

Georgia -6 (beat)

Turds-8

AU -11 up from 13,  away vs UK Fri at 6pm

Mizzu -16 (beat)

Kentucky -17

Hogs -24

On 1/29/2019 at 5:56 PM, AlaskanFAN said:

So apparently Gymnastics rankings are really stringent I guess. New rankings this week.

Florida -2

LSU -5 (beat)

Georgia -6 (beat)

Turds-8

AU -11 up from 13,  away vs UK Fri at 6pm

Mizzu -16 (beat)

Kentucky -17

Hogs -24

How the heck do we beat THREE top ten teams and we aren’t even ranked in the top 10?!!!! I evidently have A LOT to learn about college gymnastics rankings! 🤪

7 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

How the heck do we beat THREE top ten teams and we aren’t even ranked in the top 10?!!!! I evidently have A LOT to learn about college gymnastics rankings! 🤪

Not a gymnastics guy but I think they take the highest score for YTD and rank by the numbers could be totally incorrect

11 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Wow 4-0 SEC never in my life would think I would see that

Now if we can beat the turds this year, it will top it off nicely. 

On 2/1/2019 at 8:29 PM, augolf1716 said:

Not a gymnastics guy but I think they take the highest score for YTD and rank by the numbers could be totally incorrect

Yeah, that’s the feeling I get as well. Record doesn’t matter quite as much as overall scores. But nice to have that 0 in the loss column. The girls, especially Gobourne, are fun to watch. Thought they were going to walk away from UK, but it got close at the end. 

Well the #2 lady gators stuck it to us in Gainesville tonight giving us our first loss of the season and first loss in the SEC. 

197.85 to 196.70

7 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well the #2 lady gators stuck it to us in Gainesville tonight giving us our first loss of the season and first loss in the SEC. 

197.85 to 196.70

well damn not a shock would be great if we could start getting to the 197.00 mark and higher

Yes If a team gets a score of 197 they will win the meet probably 99% of the time. Next is meet is this Friday 7:00pm at Auburn Arena against the hogs. This is the 2nd to last home meet. Last home meet is March 15th at 7:00 against the Air Force Academy.

Chalk up another win for the women. Beat Texas Women's University in Denton, TX 195.5 to 194.3. 

We are now #11, 7-1 overall and 5-1 in SEC

next up: at #9 Bama

A win tonight over #8 Bama will clinche a share of the regular season SEC Title. If they pull it off it will be the first SEC title in Auburn Gymnastics history!!!!! 

https://auburntigers.com/news/2019/2/28/womens-gymnastics-no-12-auburn-travels-to-tuscaloosa-eyeing-first-sec-title.aspx

3 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well it looks like it won’t happen. Ladies fall 196.7 to 196.4

I noticed we were ahead going into the last rotation. Did we have falls on the beam?

Crap!!!! Basically tied for the final routine and defending SEC champ for Bama hits a 9.950 on floor. What can you do?

Just now, BJCrawford said:

I noticed we were ahead going into the last rotation. Did we have falls on the beam?

A few staggering dismounts/ balance checks.  One score was taken out, but Bama is best at floor and we had Beam at the turn. Still Abby had a 9.925, only for Bama to match.  Then the score of the night by Ari to win it. 

Archived