Washington Post is sued bigly by kid in “infamous” photo

NolaAuTiger

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

People put their high school on their resume?

I did back when I needed it to fill space to get a nice professional looking 1 page resume. Now I have to truncate carefully to keep from stretching it out to 4 pages. 

14 hours ago, alexava said:

In Alabama you can get your arms cut off due to negligence by your employer and not get enough through lawsuits to live on. This kid ain’t lost nothing. He could easily go away and be forgotten about. But if he gets 250 million I won’t hate him for it. I’ll just be jealous. I think it’s going to be a small quiet settlement. 

I don't know, man.  When the opening negotiation is $250M  ... I have a hard time believing any settlement will be "small."  Plus, the plaintiff in this suit is the Washington "Democracy Dies in Darkness" Post, owned by deep-pockets Jeff Bezos.  Any settlement is not going to be "quiet" either.  If the kid prevails, this will send front page/lead story shock waves throughout all media.   

Most businesses will do a quick online footprint check/search somewhere in the hiring process. This kid will forever be the MAGA kid. Memories can fade, the internet won't.

Will that affect him? Not for us to say one way or the other and couldn't prove either if we wanted to. However, It easily could have been avoided in the 1st place

20 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, that's the ticket.  It's not Trump trying to divide the country, it's the media.

:laugh:

Truth hurts. I know you hate to hear that, but you'll be fine homes. Don't sweat it. 

Seriously, as good as this economy is, can you imagine it without the manufactured outrage of the politically jilted left and media? 

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Most businesses will do a quick online footprint check/search somewhere in the hiring process. This kid will forever be the MAGA kid. Memories can fade, the internet won't.

Will that affect him? Not for us to say one way or the other and couldn't prove either if we wanted to. However, It easily could have not happened in the 1st place

When I was at Auburn and Facebook was .edu addresses only, I had a handful of companies make offers for access of my .edu to get on Facebook to look at candidates.

4 hours ago, alexava said:

Are the Duke Lacrosse kids working? 

Different time and climate for the Duke kids. Remember they also got their day in court.

Nifong, the original attorney, ended up getting disbarred and jailed for conspiracy to hide/tamper DNA. The stripper has since ended up in jail for second degree murder.

Think the 3 of them picked up about 20 million in settlement each from Duke also. Think all are investment bankers now. I know the one kid that was a SR did have his JP Morgan Chase offer pulled. Then told them to get bent when they wanted him back after being cleared. The other two transferred.

Others that were not given a trial have admitted that those incidents stuck with them and had negative impacts on their lives for nearly a decade later.

Fantastic Lies is the 30 for 30 that deals with it. And no, I don't think they would of survived the incident in 2019.

13 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

I don't know, man.  When the opening negotiation is $250M  ... I have a hard time believing any settlement will be "small."  Plus, the plaintiff in this suit is the Washington "Democracy Dies in Darkness" Post, owned by deep-pockets Jeff Bezos.  Any settlement is not going to be "quiet" either.  If the kid prevails, this will send front page/lead story shock waves throughout all media.   

Would love to know who the Dream Team Lawyers are when it gets close to crunch time. In a case like this, litigation could take 5 years or more. Venue could take as long as someone wants. Arguing over discovery could take several years alone. We are talking about a paper here and are they going to lie down and hand over the raw video footage they got or the source of the footage? Oh hell no. I bet that the WP takes every opportunity to delay etc. I cant see them handing over internal emails, Skype chats, text messages etc. I just cant. But once you wade thru all that the case forms up better, I could see some lawyers at the level of Dershowitz or so signing on for the kill and the movie and book rights as well. 

Potentially, this case could rewrite libel laws or lead to legislation leading to a complete overhaul of libel laws. 
Are consumers damaged when a media source hides info or is found to have lied or misrepresented information that it held? 
Is a consumer's reliability in the media damaged and is that a quantifiable and measurable damage?
There is a lot of room for squishy legislation in there.

If at the end of the day, WP could lose a very substantial case, to the point where media and individuals in the media need to carry liability insurance at some level. Is that a bad thing? I dont think so. If you are offering your speech as superior to others and are saying that you are better informed than most, to the point where you charge for articles and insights, do you not also OWE your consumers actual results of said higher credibility? Whether this is "Contract Law or Social Contract Law" i would welcome the day that we would have to CLEARLY divorce the levels of media output from each other. Could it end something like a rating like for movies? I would be happy with that. 

There should be an upright, reliably informed and fact-checked media that could then be arguably made to be paid for by a subscription. (RIFCM: WaPo, WSJ, NYT, Letter Networks NEWS Shows.)
There should be another level that is openly branded "Informed Entertainment" and openly not held to any fact check standard. Hyperbole is a big fancy word for Bovine Excrement and it should be labeled as so. This would be for Rush, Hannity, Breitbart, Alternet, Buzzfeed, Most of Fox News and most of MSNBC. 
Another level for Trash Media (Outright Brain-rot BS: TMZ, National Enquirer, Buzzfeed, WND. Etc.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:19 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Truth hurts. I know you hate to hear that, but you'll be fine homes. Don't sweat it. 

Seriously, as good as this economy is, can you imagine it without the manufactured outrage of the politically jilted left and media? 

"Manufactured"??  :laugh:

Is the media ghost-writing Trump's tweets? :rolleyes:

One has to be truly delusional to blame the media for how Trump has divided the country. Hell, division is the core element of Trump's political strategy! 

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/covington-native-american-buzzfeed-cohen-media-bias/

Covington Story Falls Apart

Then, later that same day, the story fell apart. More complete video evidence — not just the misleading seconds-long clip — showed that Phillips approached the students, not the other way around. It showed that another group of adult men had been hurling obscenities at the teenage students before Phillips showed up. And it showed that, if anything, the students acted with restraint as chaos mounted. What it didn't show were racists threatening a Native American who happened to be walking by. Meanwhile, Phillips turned out to be a very unreliable witness.

The New York Times on Saturday in a follow-up story admitted that its initial reporting was wrong. "Early video excerpts from the encounter obscured the larger context, inflaming outrage," it said.

On Monday, Twitter suspended the account responsible for spreading the video, because it appeared to be a fake account. CNN Business reported that "a network of anonymous accounts were working to amplify the video." In other words, it was just the sort of agenda-driven fake news story journalists are supposedly trained to ignore.

The Times wasn't alone in committing journalistic malpractice. Countless other media outlets and pundits jumped on the story viciously condemning the boys (including calling for violence against them), only to later admit that they had grossly prejudged the situation. Some even apologized.

But the damage had been done. Some of the students are now getting death threats. Covington closed its school on Tuesday amid safety concerns.

So, here's a question: Why didn't the Times' crack reporting team — or the multitude of other new outlets and pundits pushing the story — do the most basic job of any reporter before spreading falsehoods? Namely, check the facts. After all, none of the reporters or pundits had seen the altercation themselves.

The answer is simple: The brief and wildly misleading clip fed the narrative that Trump and his supporters are racists.

If those students hadn't been wearing MAGA hats, there would have been no story.

Another Fake News Story

Two days before this fake news story spread like wildfire, the media were busy touting another one.

This involved former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen. BuzzFeed — a "news" site that didn't exist until 2006 — claimed it had solid evidence that Trump told Cohen to "lie to Congress about negotiations to build a Trump Tower in Moscow." The sources, they said, were "two federal law enforcement officials involved in an investigation of the matter."

As the Columbia Journalism Review politely put it: "While no other outlet could confirm BuzzFeed's reporting, the story fed a frantic news cycle through Friday. Impeachment talk swelled as Congressional Democrats demanded answers."

Then, Special Counsel Robert Mueller's own office, in a highly unusual public statement, called the story incorrect. "BuzzFeed's description of specific statements to the special counsel's office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen's congressional testimony are not accurate," spokesman Peter Carr said.

One of the BuzzFeed reporters later admitted that they had not actually seen the evidence they claimed existed.

Lack of Media Restraint

Why didn't the rest of the news media use greater caution before pushing the questionable BuzzFeed piece? Particularly since the consequences were so grave if it were true. Why weren't they more gun-shy about this "bombshell" after repeatedly and embarrassingly peddling others that turned out to be duds? Why risk further harm to the media's already dismal reputation?

The answer to this question, too, is simple. Just like the despicable coverage of the Covington high school kids, unchecked hatred of Trump has caused the press not only to drop any pretense of objectivity, but to abandon what reporters claim is their primary professional obligation: To get the facts straight before reporting them to the public. Apologizing after the fact doesn't do anyone any good.

If mainstream reporters don't like Trump calling their work "fake news," they should stop providing him so many fresh examples.

CNN doesnt reprimand Sellers for wanting "punch Covington kid in the face."

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/22/cnn-bakari-sellers-punching-covington-nicholas-sandmann/

Sellers later deleted the tweet but did not apologize or explain why the post was deleted.

CNN has not responded to multiple requests for comment from The Daily Caller on Sellers’ tweet.

Sellers was just one of many pundits suggesting or advocating violence against the young teens. Comedienne Kathy Griffin urged her followers to dox the young boys, while former CNN host Reza Aslan wondered if anyone had seen a “more punchable” face than Nicholas Sandmann, the student who stared down Native American veteran Nathan Phillips.

While initial media reports suggested that the Covington students were engaging in racist behavior against Phillips, a longer video of the incident shows that Phillips approached the boys first as they were participating in school spirit chants.

Going back over some of the story from back then. There are a lot of celebs that still believe the lies and promote the lies. Maher never apologized for calling the kid a Prick on National Television. 

The attorneys are now sizing up lawsuits against celebs as well.

End of the day, we really need new standards of libel going forward. 

In general I'm not for lawsuits, but the way the media went after this child is disgusting. I hope he gets every penny and then some from WaPo and CNN and any other network or newspaper that slandered him.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:57 PM, Auburnfan91 said:

Any employer that sees Covington Catholic as his listed high school education and sees his age and what year he graduates will likely find out about the story.  

The kid has received death threats. You think employers will take on extra security in order for him to be hired?

Who lists their high school education on their resume if they've graduated from college?

My guess is he'll be lucky to get a settlement for $50k from the Post.  And even that won't come with an apology or admission of wrong.  The kid's life is not ruined and in a few years no one will even remember his name.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:24 PM, homersapien said:

Yeah, that's the ticket.  It's not Trump trying to divide the country, it's the media.

:laugh:

You are so right on this one Homer!

On 3/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, homersapien said:

"Manufactured"??  :laugh:

Is the media ghost-writing Trump's tweets? :rolleyes:

One has to be truly delusional to blame the media for how Trump has divided the country. Hell, division is the core element of Trump's political strategy! 

The country was divided pre-Trump and will be divided post-Trump. The media plays a role in that division. That you won't concede the obvious is not my concern. 

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

The country was divided pre-Trump and will be divided post-Trump. The media plays a role in that division. That you won't concede the obvious is not my concern. 

I would say the media plays the main role in division.  

14 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

That's funny.

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's funny, but true.

I agree homes.

Archived