Malzahn reacts to analyst Michael Lombardi

aubiefifty

Gus has had some of the most amazingly great and terrible offenses while at AU. That one man can produce such wild results is pretty amazing. 

I predict we will be better on offense this season when compared to last season. Will that be good enough to not lose 5 or more games? We shall see....

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DAG said:

Mcloofus I think you are great in discussion. Please don’t take the things I say personally. You are one of the few who very much try to be objective as possible. Likewise, you as well @Tiger.

I am one of the few that I WANT to give the guy the benefit of a doubt . If that makes me lukewarm then so be it lol. But say it quit with the subliminals. However, I understand why some fans cannot give the guy the benefit of a doubt because it sucks so much to get excited only for it to blow up in your face. I totally get that. 

That is exactly what happened to me (and others who are critical of gus) after 2013 and 2017. I cannot trust the guy. It all comes down to trust. He has given us 2 different times where he had a great season and then a really good season and followed up after the great season with 3 mediocre seasons in a row and then after the really good season with another mediocre season. I won't make that same mistake again. I and others were made to look like boo boo the fool after 2017 when 99% of us in here who are viewed as a "Gus Hater" were so excited to eat crow and repent of our hating ways and said we were so glad that Gus had finally turned a corner and figured it out. WE WANTED AU TO PAY THE MAN!!!! It finally felt like we were in for a new Gus. He had it all figured out and we were about to go on one hell of a ride. AND THEN 2018 happened. It was deflating.  It is tough to get excited when you do not believe he can string together consistent success with multiple good seasons in a row. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Eh just cut the subliminals out lol. Be direct with thegifs little little homie.

I am older than you don't call me little homie. Is that direct enough for ya?

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is exactly what happened to me (and others who are critical of gus) after 2013 and 2017. I cannot trust the guy. It all comes down to trust. He has given us 2 different times where he had a great season and then a really good season and followed up after the great season with 3 mediocre seasons in a row and then after the really good season with another mediocre season. I won't make that same mistake again. I and others were made to look like boo boo the fool after 2017 when 99% of us in here who are viewed as a "Gus Hater" were so excited to eat crow and repent of our hating ways and said we were so glad that Gus had finally turned a corner and figured it out. WE WANTED US TO PAY THE MAN!!!! It finally felt like we were in for a new Gus. He had it all figured out and we were about to go on one hell of a ride. AND THEN 2018 happened. It was deflating.  It is tough to get excited when you do not believe he can string together consistent success with multiple good seasons in a row. 

That’s fine that’s your prerogative. But don’t be upset when others want to give the guy the benefit of a doubt. I am going to speak for a few since you are doing the same. Some of us have not forgotten the up and downs of the last few seasons. However, at the end of the day, the hope for our school to succeed probably jades our expectation. That is the unfortunate part of being a fanatic. The other part of fanhood is not blindly just accepting anything . If we are average this upcoming year then yes, FIRE the guy. Run him out of town. But if we are successful , support the freaking guy or at least give credit where credit is due. I had no problem critiquing Gus on the LSU game and give him props for how the team came to play against Purdue (which I thought we would lose). It doesn’t have to be all black or all white. I’ve seen Gus do great things and abysmal things in his 7 years here. 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am older than you don't call me little homie. Is that direct enough for ya?

I said little little homie. You forgot one.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I said little little homie. You forgot one.

trg.gif

36 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

r.gif

oj.gif

As an Auburn fan, I side with Gus. Your alternative of firing Gus and just hoping for the best didn’t seem smart last year. Gus and his staff rallying to keep the recruits while our own insiders were trying to kill it just showed there was some fight left. Maybe next year will be either really good or extremely bad so that we can stop with this debate. 

Also, some of you want to act like Gus has done nothing for this university. That’s incorrect. Gus’s achievements will remain no matter how next season ends up. 

(ftr and ftw) I also side with:

Team Jacob 

Team Daryl

Team Gatewood 

Team Bruce

4 lyfe 

41 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yah. Maybe in most cases. This is a little different. I AM being objective

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

As an Auburn fan, I side with Gus. Your alternative of firing Gus and just hoping for the best didn’t seem smart last year. Gus and his staff rallying to keep the recruits while our own insiders were trying to kill it just showed there was some fight left. Maybe next year will be either really good or extremely bad so that we can stop with this debate. 

Also, some of you want to act like Gus has done nothing for this university. That’s incorrect. Gus’s achievements will remain no matter how next season ends up. 

(ftr and ftw) I also side with:

Team Jacob 

Team Daryl

Team Gatewood 

Team Bruce

4 lyfe 

Gus seems to be like the chucky doll , he just won’t die haha.

Thought he would be dead after the aggies game. NOPE

Thought he would be dead after Brohm leads Purdue to victory against us. Nope. 

And I’ve outrightly admitted that I thought Brohm would find a way to beat us but best be sure when the game started I was rooting for Auburn (I can’t not root for them) and  boy I was glad to be wrong.  Jumping up and down when we dominated.

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gus seems to be like the chucky doll , he just won’t die haha.

Yep. We should call him cockroach. If you watch the TV series The 100 on CW you’d know why.

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

And I’ve outrightly admitted that I thought Brohm would find a way to beat us but best be sure when the game started I was rooting for Auburn (I can’t not root for them) and  boy I was glad to be wrong.  Jumping up and down when we dominated.

I saw the Purdue- Ohio State game live and Purdue played like their heads were on fire. I knew Purdue had it in them to get a victory if all the cards fell right for them. But they didn’t and I don’t think Gus allowed the cards to fall right for them. He was determined to not let his team go through the motions during bowl practice. Generally, inferior opponents are forced to find signs of life when playing against superior teams and build confidence through the lulls. Can’t happen if the foot stays on their throat. 

46 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Gus has had some of the most amazingly great and terrible offenses while at AU.

Unstoppable when clicking. When a cog is missing painful to watch.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I agree there are some who argue for arguments sake, but a4e, aubiefifty and others come with information to back up what they say and can agree to disagree on things!

@aubiefifty is my guy . Like me, we can let our emotions get the best of us , but he genuinely wants what is best for Auburn . I don’t necessarily agree with labeling people haters or sunshinepumpers and I was one of them, but quite frankly I have grown tired of that . I don’t think it resonated well with me as a poster and I am definitely going to always stick up for the guys who I think genuinely want what’s best for Auburn , whether it be firing him or watching him have continuous success here.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

So, even with all of our talent, what happens if Gus goes out and loses another 5 in the same confusing, discombobulated way we have the last 5 years? Do the AlwayGus defenders finally admit Gus' culpability? 

I liked our offense when Gus was an OC.  He lost his way and has struggled to regain his heading, but I hope Gus turns it around. He needs to evolve and has been beyond reluctant to.

I don't think any posters are saying that Gus bears no responsibility, or that he doesn't need to do a better job.  It's the constant Gus bashing all over the board in every thread in every sport that has gotten annoying and tiresome. Plus it's the same old complaints over and over.  We all know Gus has his issues by now, and we know how the haters feel, believe me...... but maybe saying it 10,000 times is enough now. All the negativity all the time has taken over and all the fun gets sucked out of the forum.

My focus is on supporting the hard working college students who chose to play football for Auburn, and I can't see any benefit to them when fans keep wanting Gus to fail. He is the coach right now, warts and all, so I am hoping that Auburn is very successful in 2019 and beyond.. That's the best outcome for everyone.  

That doesn't mean I'm clueless or a sunshine pumper.

It is what it is in 2019....so I am choosing to get behind Gus since he's here for now and because his players deserve support. Gus is a decent man and the team seems to really like him. So....not jumpin' on the hate train doesn't mean ridin' on the Gus Bus either.

Everyone here SHOULD want what’s best for Auburn. In the end, it’s really just deciding what your personal breaking point is with Gus. Some folks weren’t on board to begin with and are still standing on shore. Some folks have seen enough and have pulled the ripcord. Some haven’t reached that breaking point yet and are still bailing water. Everyone is trying to argue the “other side” back. It doesn’t mean one side loves Auburn more than the other side. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Everyone here SHOULD want what’s best for Auburn. In the end, it’s really just deciding what your personal breaking point is with Gus. Some folks weren’t on board to begin with and are still standing on shore. Some folks have seen enough and have pulled the ripcord. Some haven’t reached that breaking point yet and are still bailing water. Everyone is trying to argue the “other side” back. It doesn’t mean one side loves Auburn more than the other side. 

This is spot on here.

34 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I don't think any posters are saying that Gus bears no responsibility, or that he doesn't need to do a better job.  It's the constant Gus bashing all over the board in every thread in every sport that has gotten annoying and tiresome. Plus it's the same old complaints over and over.  We all know Gus has his issues by now, and we know how the haters feel, believe me...... but maybe saying it 10,000 times is enough now. All the negativity all the time has taken over and all the fun gets sucked out of the forum.

My focus is on supporting the hard working college students who chose to play football for Auburn, and I can't see any benefit to them when fans keep wanting Gus to fail. He is the coach right now, warts and all, so I am hoping that Auburn is very successful in 2019 and beyond.. That's the best outcome for everyone.  

That doesn't mean I'm clueless or a sunshine pumper.

It is what it is in 2019....so I am choosing to get behind Gus since he's here for now and because his players deserve support. Gus is a decent man and the team seems to really like him. So....not jumpin' on the hate train doesn't mean ridin' on the Gus Bus either.

Thanks for your post TB. It was needed.  It takes ABSOLUTELY NO TALENT TO BE A CRITIC!!!. it takes TALENT to do something about it!! Nobody on these boards will improve anything. Not JMO but a fact.

WDE

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

here is the thing and sadly most of you haters do not get. it has been a few months but i posted an article on this site that stated all the negativity last year hurt the team. and the AL.COM so many of you hate actually posted an article making fun of the meltdown concerning gus by posters on this very site. and i am pretty sure the same article ended up on another popular site as well. they actually posted some of the statements made. and google it yourselves or maybe search this site because i have no idea how to find the article. i want gus to do better but as long as he wears the orange and blue i will support him period. i love my team and i will pull for them period. if he is let go i will give the next coach the same support i give gus. i am loyal to auburn. we might not like the timetable but things will work out one way or the other. and the thing with the negative nancy's is not so much your opinion but how it is often stated and the endless piling on.

If a message board forum is affecting the team then the mental fortitude one would expect from a Championship caliber team is not there.  We're not gonna win with a bunch of guys who get their feelings hurt so quickly.  It IS the coaches job to build a team with mental (and intestinal) fortitude.

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Let’s hope for the best brother! You are one of my favorite posters. Don’t go that route. 

I could write a book, but since people have short attention spans, I want to keep this short and succinct. And, although I don't always agree, I do like reading your posts.

We've had 6 years of Gus the head coach. I don't care about his HS record, his record at Tulsa or his record at Arkansas St.  This is the SEC. In his 6 years as head coach we've had one season of less than 4 losses, and 2 seasons of less than 5 losses. Counting his 3 seasons as OC here, we've had 2 seasons of less than 4 losses, and in his 9 years here, we've had 6 seasons of 5 losses or more. In 2 of the 3 seasons with less than 5 losses, he's had superb DT QB's that were JC transfers. In his 3rd total season here with less than 5 losses (4, cutting it close), he had a 1st year transfer QB who regressed substantially his 2nd year in the program. IF he is successful this year with a redshirt sophmore, redshirt freshman, or true freshman it will be his FIRST year of success (less than 4 losses) at Auburn without a TRANSFER QB!

We have talent as indicated by our top ten recruiting rankings during Gus' tenure here (and yeah a couple just outside the top ten). We have two young QB's who appear to have a ton of potential.  We have an ALL SENIOR offensive line (that was horrible last year, but could gel and make the most of their talent this year to be adequate). We have a huge stable of UNPROVEN RB's that could be really good or just meh.  Our receiving corps has loads of talent, but will they be utilized to their potential.

On defense we lost our top CB.  We lost our total starting LB corp.  We lost an under appreciated DL double team eater and run stopper that we don't really have a sure back up for.  We have depth on Defense, so yeah, if athletic potential translates to production on the field we could be better, but we won't know until the season plays out.

IMO, the worst thing that could happen to Auburn football in the long run, would be for the team to play over it's head, stay healthy and catch some lucky breaks to finish the year with 9 or more wins including a big win against LSU/Georgia/Alabama to allow GM to get another year here.  Then he reverts back to his mean, and puts in another 5 or 6 loss season and continues to lag in offensive line recruiting, less than stellar RB recruiting, QB's continue to regress in his system, and his offense remains figured out.  And we continue to WALLOW in mediocrity.

But yeah, I am optimistic about the potential of this team for the upcoming year, but I'm also fully aware of GM's track record.  So, I hope we have a really good or really bad season to finally clear up GM's status here.  And, this still probably ended up TLDR...lol.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

He probably gets fired big bird.  I can’t speak for what the Gus defenders or bashers plan to do but for me, I am going to stay positive and objective. Once the season comes around and IF it is a need to, I will be back to my criticizing self, but as it isthe offseason, I am going to go into this season with a mindset that we are going to be successful.

Dotto

38 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I could write a book, but since people have short attention spans, I want to keep this short and succinct. And, although I don't always agree, I do like reading your posts.

We've had 6 years of Gus the head coach. I don't care about his HS record, his record at Tulsa or his record at Arkansas St.  This is the SEC. In his 6 years as head coach we've had one season of less than 4 losses, and 2 seasons of less than 5 losses. Counting his 3 seasons as OC here, we've had 2 seasons of less than 4 losses, and in his 9 years here, we've had 6 seasons of 5 losses or more. In 2 of the 3 seasons with less than 5 losses, he's had superb DT QB's that were JC transfers. In his 3rd total season here with less than 5 losses (4, cutting it close), he had a 1st year transfer QB who regressed substantially his 2nd year in the program. IF he is successful this year with a redshirt sophmore, redshirt freshman, or true freshman it will be his FIRST year of success (less than 4 losses) at Auburn without a TRANSFER QB!

We have talent as indicated by our top ten recruiting rankings during Gus' tenure here (and yeah a couple just outside the top ten). We have two young QB's who appear to have a ton of potential.  We have an ALL SENIOR offensive line (that was horrible last year, but could gel and make the most of their talent this year to be adequate). We have a huge stable of UNPROVEN RB's that could be really good or just meh.  Our receiving corps has loads of talent, but will they be utilized to their potential.

On defense we lost our top CB.  We lost our total starting LB corp.  We lost an under appreciated DL double team eater and run stopper that we don't really have a sure back up for.  We have depth on Defense, so yeah, if athletic potential translates to production on the field we could be better, but we won't know until the season plays out.

IMO, the worst thing that could happen to Auburn football in the long run, would be for the team to play over it's head, stay healthy and catch some lucky breaks to finish the year with 9 or more wins including a big win against LSU/Georgia/Alabama to allow GM to get another year here.  Then he reverts back to his mean, and puts in another 5 or 6 loss season and continues to lag in offensive line recruiting, less than stellar RB recruiting, QB's continue to regress in his system, and his offense remains figured out.  And we continue to WALLOW in mediocrity.

But yeah, I am optimistic about the potential of this team for the upcoming year, but I'm also fully aware of GM's track record.  So, I hope we have a really good or really bad season to finally clear up GM's status here.  And, this still probably ended up TLDR...lol.

So what you’re saying is, we catch a lucky break to make life manageable on Gus island. Then six years later, we are making a raft out of wood and VHS tape to escape.

A53B545A-8E9C-4B01-BAB2-0B64A1E2D17E.gif

61675AC8-0263-410B-AC48-6739F1927741.gif

I dont know whether to laugh harder at Lombardi claiming college football brilliance as a pro scout, or his dementia that Malzahn didn't change his Arkansas version of the HUNH. At this point it's like arguing with a Bamzo - his notable football knowledge is lost in his delusional self image. 

40 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Was that really short and succinct? 

10 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I dont know whether to laugh harder at Lombardi claiming college football brilliance as a pro scout, or his dementia that Malzahn didn't change his Arkansas version of the HUNH. At this point it's like arguing with a Bamzo - his notable football knowledge is lost in his delusional self image. 

I listened to the show with Cole Cubelic and Aaron Torres and apparently he is doubling down on his comments. Even (while referring to Tuberville) said be should read his book. lol. And then listed his “accomplishments” which all involved working for the Patriots organization and we all know he isn’t the reason for their success.

3 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If a message board forum is affecting the team then the mental fortitude one would expect from a Championship caliber team is not there.  We're not gonna win with a bunch of guys who get their feelings hurt so quickly.  It IS the coaches job to build a team with mental (and intestinal) fortitude.

ok so now our team and coaches are not manly men? what about all the backlash we took over this kinda crap on the recruiting trail. you guys always miss the point. there is nothing wrong with some criticism but tht when you repeat it over and over and over all year long it is no longer criticism it is plain old hate. some of you guys pulled for auburn to lose. that is fact. you make the bash gus thing personal talking about his hooters getting big and other such remarks. in this thread zeek inferred gus and anal. that is not funny. period. i wish i was one of the "boys" so i could get away with that kind of stuff. there is a lot of class on this thread. that is the kind of crap bama fans do. i apologize for expecting better. and for the record i am not mad tho some are trying to make it personal. and please give me all the negs you guys want. i like them good or bad.

Here was the podcast that Cole and the others were talking about. The snip it says plenty though.

He’s just a no name wanting attention. 

Archived