Reason to get Excited for this Season

abw0004

Good morning all,

I hope this finds you well.  I have been debating for some time to post this thread and have been waiting for the right time and I feel now is a good time to do so.  For those that are new to the forum and not familiar with me, I write similar threads like these after each Auburn game I attend.  And I attend a bunch.  I am also a noted optimist on the forum, but very even-keel when it comes to judgement on any topic.  I have heard many on here ask what do we have to get excited about for this season.  That almost screamed my name to attempt to do so before I come out with my annual "Hype Video Thread" 100 days before game day.  Let's get started shall we?

Offensive Coaching:  Well this is as good as any place to start.  In the past seasons there has been confusion on who deserves the blame and praise when we win or lose.  It has seemed that when we win, it was all Chip.  And when we lose, it was all Gus.  Not pointing fingers, but I flat out do not know what the truth is.  This year Gus has taken back the reins on playcalling and brought in what could be a great complement in Kenny Dillingham to the OC.  I think this is great because we live or die by Gus and there is no more speculation on who deserves the credit.  We were the most successful this way and I think Gus felt he needed to evolve as a head coach in the past that included being a CEO.  Some coaches are just wired to be hands on and Gus is one of them.  We got a little sample during the Purdue game and A-Day where we saw some familiar shifts to be successful, but more on that later.  On top of Dillingham we brought in the great Cadillac Williams.  Both new hires were questioned, and even mocked.  But by all accounts they have impressed so far.  And their recruiting has already made an impact.  Williams' name alone will at least get him in the door with some recruits and Dillingham is helping us expand our footprint.

Defensive Coaching:  This has continued to be a positive asset to our team.  I think our staff is loaded on all aspects.  Even when we lost Greg Brown, we welcomed back Wesley McGriff.  This hire I believe will provide no dropoff and help us continue to develop our secondary.  Gus has always let his defensive coordinator do their jobs without interference and I admire that trust.  You see the same thing with Kevin Steele letting his staff do their jobs without interfering.  It is hard for a hands on coach like Gus to let his staff do their thing.  If you recall, part of the reason Malzahn left the staff when Chizik was here was because Chizik wanted more input.

Return of the HUNH:  This is the one thing I wished we could have done better the past few years.  When we seem to have a defense on the ropes in a particular drive, to stop and substitute.  Or we sit there for 10 seconds before snapping the ball.  So why do I think it is coming back in full force?  Two people:  Harold Joiner and John Samuel Shenker.  We have seen their roles expand this year.  Joiner is becoming a jack of all trades where he can be the wildcat, running back, tight end, receiver, etc.  Someone like this will expend the playbook with the personnel on the field, which leads to less substitutions.  Add in the fact Shenker is the hier apparent to Chandler Cox.  Shenker can block and catch with some speed.  All of this versatility can really do some damage and confuse defenses in what they can predict.

Return of the defense:  This really was a surprise with everyone returning that could have left with the exception of Jamel Dean.  With that, I hope they pick up from last year and wreak havoc, justifying their decision to stay.  This defensive line will also help take the pressure off of the greener linbacker corps.  One thing I have learned though is Travis Williams will have his guys ready.

Return of the Offensive Line:  This area may have been our downfall last year.  And to be honest they left a lot to be desired.  I really do not think it is fair to blame JB Grimes either.  Everyone knows offensive linemen need time to properly develop and Grimes needed more than 6 months with his guys.  Everyone should know by now I strongly feel Herb Hand did nothing in developing our guys.  For this reason is why you started to see improvement in our line at the end of the season, because Grimes had more time.  So this season, we get everyone back under Grimes.  This season we will see if what I am saying is true, or false.  Reports are saying that the line is holding their own against our defensive line, which is saying a lot.  They aren't pushing back our defensive line, but more of a stalemate which is much better than last year.  I remember last year's A-Day where Nick Coe lived in the backfield because our line could not stop him.

Green Quarterback:  This would normally be something that is worrisome.  I am not as worried as I thought I would be.  Maybe it is because I have followed Bo Nix for so long I know what we get in a man that has been groomed for our system for a long time.  Maybe it is because there are a lot of positive reports coming out about Gatewood taking the next step.  And maybe it is because we have talent around them to help hide any freshmen flaws.  We have a plethora of elite receivers (Hastings and Stove are back!).  We have a great stable of running backs.  And we seem to have a line that can buy more time.  I am not saying they will be veterans out the gate, but they won't be running around like a chicken with their head cut off either.

Incoming players:  We may not have the top class in the nation, but I am very pleased with who we have, minus the offensive line (I like who we have, just wanted more).  The incoming freshmen have been talked about to death so I won't harp on it again, but one person everyone seems to have forgotten:  Jay Jay Wilson.  This guy can really help us in our run game I believe and I cannot wait for him to arrive on campus.

Gameday:  If nothing else, why not get excited for gameday!  The tailgating, the food, the hype, the hope for a good outcome.  It is all just so fun to be in Auburn on gameday.  It is one of those places where everyone has fun, whether you like football or not.  Heck, even if you are an Auburn fan or not.  I love taking people who have never been to Auburn game before.  It is so much fun to watch them have fun.  And lets not forget, THE HYPE VIDEOS.  Even the player introductions are awesome.  More importantly, let's not forget our marching band.  As hard as they work, they do not get enough credit.

It's a new day, new season.  Our first game is in Dallas against a very good, but beatable Oregon.  Here is to the hope and excitement for this next season!  :wareagle:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our last 3 teams that have returned this many impact plays on their roster have gone a combined 35-3... yes, we'll have a young QB, but I'm expecting a veteran presence to help him out tremendously. Not sure I have expectations of playoffs or anything yet, but certainly think this team has potential.  

New season , same hopes. Double digit wins, beat Ga, LSU and UAT. IGTBAAT! As always!! War Eagle 

Thanks for your post ABW, there were some good points through out. If ever there was a team to have around a young QB it would be a team with experience like this. I also agree with your point about the experienced DL being so important with new starting LBs and that Williams will have those LBs ready.

Very nice post. I'm not a Gus Basher, Nor do I live and die to support the Gus Bus. I support Auburn and I want them to succeed regardless of who is at the helm. I think Gus has actually done a decent job with all things considered and whats happening next door. I still think he is a young HC learning on the jobb but I do shake my head at the bone headed mistakes he has made. I am super happy to have him calling plays again. One thing you left out, and correct me if you didnt I do apologize, is that Gus is coaching for his life again. This is a good thing for Auburn. Not complacent. This will have him pulling all the stops I believe. I think if we can play good enough and pull a nice win against Oregon to start the year, and then not play down to competition but really tune up over the next 2 games, we could have a magical season. Here are what I think our strengths will be from top to bottom.

#1- Dline- need I say more

#2 WRs- I think We have one of the best WR rooms in the nation and I think with the speed and skillset of our guys it will help whichever QB is at the helm

#3-secondary- We have a lot of experience at the 2 deep. We lost J. Dean but we moved J. davis back to corner, I think Tutt will fill in the nickle nicely, and Noah will be an AA. Safeties are legit with dinson and thomas, and Sherwood and Smoke provide great depth with little drop off, this may be the #1 by midseason as far as strengths

#4- tie....RBS and Oline- this was our major weak points last year. I think the Oline improved throughout the year especially on Pass blocking but all around. I think they will be a good Oline not Great but good and with correct placycallig and a vast group of playmakers good can be good enough. RBs have a lot more experience and We have some newcomers who will contribute I think we have several different guys that will play a major role.

#5 LBS.- im listing this as a strength because I believe they will be. I know we lose our starters but think about 2016 when we were in same spot. We met D. Davis then. I think the group we have now is more athletic and has more ability and potential than the great group they are replacing. I think O. Pappoe becomes a starter by midseason and a fresh AA. and LBs turn into a force.

#6-low expectations from media, We are not preseason top 10 which kills us every time. 

#7 QB. I think which ever guy starts will have a some growing pains but both have the talent and potential to become amazing AU QBs and i lose sleep dreaming about the future. 

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Very nice post. I'm not a Gus Basher, Nor do I live and die to support the Gus Bus. I support Auburn and I want them to succeed regardless of who is at the helm. I think Gus has actually done a decent job with all things considered and whats happening next door. I still think he is a young HC learning on the jobb but I do shake my head at the bone headed mistakes he has made. I am super happy to have him calling plays again. One thing you left out, and correct me if you didnt I do apologize, is that Gus is coaching for his life again. This is a good thing for Auburn. Not complacent. This will have him pulling all the stops I believe. I think if we can play good enough and pull a nice win against Oregon to start the year, and then not play down to competition but really tune up over the next 2 games, we could have a magical season. Here are what I think our strengths will be from top to bottom.

#1- Dline- need I say more

#2 WRs- I think We have one of the best WR rooms in the nation and I think with the speed and skillset of our guys it will help whichever QB is at the helm

#3-secondary- We have a lot of experience at the 2 deep. We lost J. Dean but we moved J. davis back to corner, I think Tutt will fill in the nickle nicely, and Noah will be an AA. Safeties are legit with dinson and thomas, and Sherwood and Smoke provide great depth with little drop off, this may be the #1 by midseason as far as strengths

#4- tie....RBS and Oline- this was our major weak points last year. I think the Oline improved throughout the year especially on Pass blocking but all around. I think they will be a good Oline not Great but good and with correct placycallig and a vast group of playmakers good can be good enough. RBs have a lot more experience and We have some newcomers who will contribute I think we have several different guys that will play a major role.

#5 LBS.- im listing this as a strength because I believe they will be. I know we lose our starters but think about 2016 when we were in same spot. We met D. Davis then. I think the group we have now is more athletic and has more ability and potential than the great group they are replacing. I think O. Pappoe becomes a starter by midseason and a fresh AA. and LBs turn into a force.

#6-low expectations from media, We are not preseason top 10 which kills us every time. 

#7 QB. I think which ever guy starts will have a some growing pains but both have the talent and potential to become amazing AU QBs and i lose sleep dreaming about the future. 

You are doing it wrong?! Don’t you know you got to be one or the other?!

no, really great post. Very insightful.

Reasons to be excited:

maybe the most talented and versatile set of skill players in offense AU has since 2004. 

The defense also possesses a slew of nfl players

Reasons not be excited: Gus is still the coach and we easily have a top 5 hardest schedule in the country 

23 hours ago, abw0004 said:

In the past seasons there has been confusion on who deserves the blame and praise when we win or lose.  It has seemed that when we win, it was all Chip.  And when we lose, it was all Gus. 

Sigh. Nobody has ever said that. It really confuses me where this silliness started.

If y'all don't want negative commentary on the state of the program to be regurgitated, stop exaggerating and misconstruing critical comments and forcing folks to clarify their positions. 

@abw0004, I know you're not really in that group, but this is a prime example of how they perpetuate and invite the type of discussion they claim to abhor. 

For those who genuinely want to understand the "evolution" of our play calling strategies under Gus, by the way, start here. 

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee to call plays for remainder of season, Gus Malzahn will be 'head coach' 

We won that game with 6 scoring drives, then won the next 4 scoring 38 or more points each time. 3 of those 4 were against SEC West competition. Then we had some key injuries, the offense went back in the crapper, and Lashlee was gone. 

The next "evolution":

Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey moving up to box on game days

Again, we won the next game- albeit poorly, due to an insane number of turnovers- and then won 7 of the next 8, and scoring at least 40 points in 6 of them. The only loss during that stretch was LSU, where we scored 23 points in the first half and then literally chose to stop scoring. Whose decision was that?

"Malzahn said his thought process on going conservative at the half: 'How many points can they really score versus our defense'"

Did our OCs call the plays in every game we won? Did Gus call the plays in every game we lost? Nope, and nobody has ever said that. But there were major changes in the play calling multiple times over the last 3 years and we saw major differences in the overall results each time. 

PS- Go back and watch our offense against Washington's defense. Look at all the wrinkles, especially in the first half, that worked and then were barely seen again for the rest of the season. I think I counted 4 intermediate passes in the middle of the field just in the first quarter. Sal Canella making the catch of the season, for a touchdown, in the red zone. Kam Martin with 112 yards from scrimmage. Stidham going through his reads and checking down to Cox and Martin. Completions to 10 different receivers, including 2 to NCM for almost 40 yards plus at least another long target. Back shoulder throws to Slayton. Stidham with some great designed runs. If not for typical first game execution issues- 12 penalties for 111 yards, for example- we probably would have hung 500 yards on a top 10 defense.

And then we barely saw any of that stuff again for the rest of the season. 

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sigh. Nobody has ever said that. It really confuses me where this silliness started.

If y'all don't want negative commentary on the state of the program to be regurgitated, stop exaggerating and misconstruing critical comments and forcing folks to clarify their positions. 

No offense taken.  I didn't think you were grouping me in that.  I'm not too sure why you think the above though.  You can even type in the search bar "Who is calling the plays" and click "search for the phrase" to see it brought up over and over going back all the way to Lashlee.  So that really is not an exaggeration...  The rest of your post I agree with because I posted similar things through out those seasons, but people said I was making excuses for Gus to shield him.  So not rebuttal on the rest of what you say because I agree with it.  👍

22 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm so pumped about going 8-5 again that I can barely contain myself.

Come on...  You don't have to be negative in all 17 of your posts.  Especially on a thread like this...

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Come on...  You don't have to be negative in all 17 of your posts.  Especially on a thread like this...

Not all of my posts are negative.  Just yesterday I posted that I'm excited about building better facilities for our next head coach. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It really confuses me where this silliness started.

Stop kidding yourself, You know exactly who started that.

I’m always excited about AU football 🏈 no matter what others say! I choose to have a positive outlook on all of life in fact. There are lots more reasons to be positive about this season than there are negative, and the op lays them out fairly well. I’m not really a “sunshine pumper” , but more of a “moonshiner” (not the Appalachian mountain kind), who chooses to focus on the good things without discounting the bad. I see nothing good about bashing our coach during the offseason with old talking points, but instead I try to be optimistic until I have reason not to be. Thanks for the OP for pointing out the positive things!

59 minutes ago, toddc said:

I’m always excited about AU football 🏈 no matter what others say! I choose to have a positive outlook on all of life in fact. There are lots more reasons to be positive about this season than there are negative, and the op lays them out fairly well. I’m not really a “sunshine pumper” , but more of a “moonshiner” (not the Appalachian mountain kind), who chooses to focus on the good things without discounting the bad. I see nothing good about bashing our coach during the offseason with old talking points, but instead I try to be optimistic until I have reason not to be. Thanks for the OP for pointing out the positive things!

This is the approach I have as well. Just didn't really execute on the delivery of such position. I will and will forever be excited about Auburn football in the Preseason. I will support whoever is at the helm until they aren't because I want to win. I think we as fans have been unrealistic a many a time. I also think that media hype has given us unrealistic expectations as well. When all the Jeremy Johnson hype train was going...he pretty much already won the Heisman before start of season....and he had very little meaningful playing time. I was skeptical and it turned out i was right. I just think we should all be supportive of our players and coaches but yes give criticism where its due but we can do that and still support the Auburn Football team and the staff.

I think some of the teams on the schedule are being overhyped as well.  Florida and Texas A&M specifically.  These will be tough games on the road but I think very winnable.  I believe I read somewhere they are rebuilding both their offensive lines.  Franks and Mond aren’t going to set the world on fire.  Very winnable.  I think it’ll come down to the same 3 games LSU, UGA, and Bama.  Auburn has to beat LSU in Baton Rogue at some point.  UGA and Bama are tough outs but they’re in Jordan Hare.  Miss State should take a step back defensively and Ole Miss and Arky are gonna be blah.  Letssss Go!

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Franks and Mond aren’t going to set the world on fire.  

Reports out here are that Mond will be very good

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Reports out here are that Mond will be very good

Maybe but I also saw him make a poor throw for an int first play in their spring game.  We’ll find out real quick how he does against a good defense in week 2.  

25 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I think some of the teams on the schedule are being overhyped as well.  Florida and Texas A&M specifically.  These will be tough games on the road but I think very winnable.  I believe I read somewhere they are rebuilding both their offensive lines.  Franks and Mond aren’t going to set the world on fire.  Very winnable.  I think it’ll come down to the same 3 games LSU, UGA, and Bama.  Auburn has to beat LSU in Baton Rogue at some point.  UGA and Bama are tough outs but they’re in Jordan Hare.  Miss State should take a step back defensively and Ole Miss and Arky are gonna be blah.  Letssss Go!

I'm fairly certain that aTm and UF will find themselves in the Top 15 by season's end.  I don't see either setting the world on fire but both are toss-ups at best.

I'm excited about the season.  First class D, good wide receivers, experienced OL, underrated RBs, and a true dual threat QB (Gatewood).

I think we'll win 10+ games.  But then again, I'm a sunshine pumper.

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

No offense taken.  I didn't think you were grouping me in that.  I'm not too sure why you think the above though.  You can even type in the search bar "Who is calling the plays" and click "search for the phrase" to see it brought up over and over going back all the way to Lashlee.  So that really is not an exaggeration...  The rest of your post I agree with because I posted similar things through out those seasons, but people said I was making excuses for Gus to shield him.  So not rebuttal on the rest of what you say because I agree with it.  👍

Rereading your post, I see where I might have heard other people saying things that you weren't saying. *Sincere* apologies if so.

It has been a popular refrain among certain Bus riders that Gus's critics actually think he called all the bad plays and his OCs called all the good ones. Which nobody has suggested to my knowledge. But that's not what you were referring to. Again, my apologies.

On 5/9/2019 at 10:09 AM, abw0004 said:

Good morning all,

I hope this finds you well.  I have been debating for some time to post this thread and have been waiting for the right time and I feel now is a good time to do so.  For those that are new to the forum and not familiar with me, I write similar threads like these after each Auburn game I attend.  And I attend a bunch.  I am also a noted optimist on the forum, but very even-keel when it comes to judgement on any topic.  I have heard many on here ask what do we have to get excited about for this season.  That almost screamed my name to attempt to do so before I come out with my annual "Hype Video Thread" 100 days before game day.  Let's get started shall we?

Offensive Coaching:  Well this is as good as any place to start.  In the past seasons there has been confusion on who deserves the blame and praise when we win or lose.  It has seemed that when we win, it was all Chip.  And when we lose, it was all Gus.  Not pointing fingers, but I flat out do not know what the truth is.  This year Gus has taken back the reins on playcalling and brought in what could be a great complement in Kenny Dillingham to the OC.  I think this is great because we live or die by Gus and there is no more speculation on who deserves the credit.  We were the most successful this way and I think Gus felt he needed to evolve as a head coach in the past that included being a CEO.  Some coaches are just wired to be hands on and Gus is one of them.  We got a little sample during the Purdue game and A-Day where we saw some familiar shifts to be successful, but more on that later.  On top of Dillingham we brought in the great Cadillac Williams.  Both new hires were questioned, and even mocked.  But by all accounts they have impressed so far.  And their recruiting has already made an impact.  Williams' name alone will at least get him in the door with some recruits and Dillingham is helping us expand our footprint.

Defensive Coaching:  This has continued to be a positive asset to our team.  I think our staff is loaded on all aspects.  Even when we lost Greg Brown, we welcomed back Wesley McGriff.  This hire I believe will provide no dropoff and help us continue to develop our secondary.  Gus has always let his defensive coordinator do their jobs without interference and I admire that trust.  You see the same thing with Kevin Steele letting his staff do their jobs without interfering.  It is hard for a hands on coach like Gus to let his staff do their thing.  If you recall, part of the reason Malzahn left the staff when Chizik was here was because Chizik wanted more input.

Return of the HUNH:  This is the one thing I wished we could have done better the past few years.  When we seem to have a defense on the ropes in a particular drive, to stop and substitute.  Or we sit there for 10 seconds before snapping the ball.  So why do I think it is coming back in full force?  Two people:  Harold Joiner and John Samuel Shenker.  We have seen their roles expand this year.  Joiner is becoming a jack of all trades where he can be the wildcat, running back, tight end, receiver, etc.  Someone like this will expend the playbook with the personnel on the field, which leads to less substitutions.  Add in the fact Shenker is the hier apparent to Chandler Cox.  Shenker can block and catch with some speed.  All of this versatility can really do some damage and confuse defenses in what they can predict.

Return of the defense:  This really was a surprise with everyone returning that could have left with the exception of Jamel Dean.  With that, I hope they pick up from last year and wreak havoc, justifying their decision to stay.  This defensive line will also help take the pressure off of the greener linbacker corps.  One thing I have learned though is Travis Williams will have his guys ready.

Return of the Offensive Line:  This area may have been our downfall last year.  And to be honest they left a lot to be desired.  I really do not think it is fair to blame JB Grimes either.  Everyone knows offensive linemen need time to properly develop and Grimes needed more than 6 months with his guys.  Everyone should know by now I strongly feel Herb Hand did nothing in developing our guys.  For this reason is why you started to see improvement in our line at the end of the season, because Grimes had more time.  So this season, we get everyone back under Grimes.  This season we will see if what I am saying is true, or false.  Reports are saying that the line is holding their own against our defensive line, which is saying a lot.  They aren't pushing back our defensive line, but more of a stalemate which is much better than last year.  I remember last year's A-Day where Nick Coe lived in the backfield because our line could not stop him.

Green Quarterback:  This would normally be something that is worrisome.  I am not as worried as I thought I would be.  Maybe it is because I have followed Bo Nix for so long I know what we get in a man that has been groomed for our system for a long time.  Maybe it is because there are a lot of positive reports coming out about Gatewood taking the next step.  And maybe it is because we have talent around them to help hide any freshmen flaws.  We have a plethora of elite receivers (Hastings and Stove are back!).  We have a great stable of running backs.  And we seem to have a line that can buy more time.  I am not saying they will be veterans out the gate, but they won't be running around like a chicken with their head cut off either.

Incoming players:  We may not have the top class in the nation, but I am very pleased with who we have, minus the offensive line (I like who we have, just wanted more).  The incoming freshmen have been talked about to death so I won't harp on it again, but one person everyone seems to have forgotten:  Jay Jay Wilson.  This guy can really help us in our run game I believe and I cannot wait for him to arrive on campus.

Gameday:  If nothing else, why not get excited for gameday!  The tailgating, the food, the hype, the hope for a good outcome.  It is all just so fun to be in Auburn on gameday.  It is one of those places where everyone has fun, whether you like football or not.  Heck, even if you are an Auburn fan or not.  I love taking people who have never been to Auburn game before.  It is so much fun to watch them have fun.  And lets not forget, THE HYPE VIDEOS.  Even the player introductions are awesome.  More importantly, let's not forget our marching band.  As hard as they work, they do not get enough credit.

It's a new day, new season.  Our first game is in Dallas against a very good, but beatable Oregon.  Here is to the hope and excitement for this next season!  :wareagle:

@lionheartkc would be proud of your optimistic approach. I believe he would be very surprised to find that as many times we disagreed that I’m one poster not trying to hang Gus.

I hope Lionheart is doing well. 🍺

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Rereading your post, I see where I might have heard other people saying things that you weren't saying. *Sincere* apologies if so.

It has been a popular refrain among certain Bus riders that Gus's critics actually think he called all the bad plays and his OCs called all the good ones. Which nobody has suggested to my knowledge. But that's not what you were referring to. Again, my apologies.

You better apologize!  Repent!  :laugh:  I’m just kidding.  No need to apologize my friend.  

Archived