2021 5* QB Brock Vandagriff (UGA)

GwillMac6

In fairness, JJ was playing scared. There is nothing you can teach any QB if he doesn't have heart. SW got in the narcotics scenario and was injury prone. O line killed any chance of JS progressing from year 1 to year 2.

To me, Gus has to prove that he can developed QBS this upcoming season or it's all over. I like CGM and I have  believed in him but this coming year is really  do or die for me.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm forever the optimistic realist. Each Fall hope springs eternal. Otherwise, what's the point of all the pain and suffering of Spring and Summer.

I think all Auburn fans have hope. Over the last few years though, mine tends to peak after the season is over, and then drops again sometime in January/February.:laugh:

Dan Mullen and Urban Meyer favored Brantley. That’s part of why Cam left. For the record. I’m not guessing or sourcing any article on that one. Know it from one of those sources. 

Cam learned Dan’s system. He was good in that system. Dan didn’t make Cam or develop him in any special way. He treated him like a backup and gave him backup reps. They thought Brantley was the next franchise QB at Florida. 

14 hours ago, Tiger said:

You realize the prospect basically said what "the pack" has been saying about Gus for years, right?

This is a player. Weighing his college options. Who is a fan of AU meaning he has likely had dreams of being an AU QB since he was a child. And he's saying he needs to see if our coach can actually coach a QB.

Recruiting a top rated QB who is a lifelong AU fan with Gus at the helm is actually a deterrent to this prospect. Think about that.

I have thought about it and I don't agree with your position. Is Gus a problem? Dillingham? Lack of stability at OC? Is there a problem at all? We'll see. Him living "ten minutes" from the UGA campus and thus closer to both UGA and Clemson than AU may also be a factor, or his considering Oklahoma may be a way of escaping it all. The reason former outstanding AU nose guard Benji Roland played at AU was because half his family wanted hm at UGA and the other half wanted him at Florida, so he shut everybody up and chose Auburn. 

There's a lot that goes into this sort of thing and any decision he makes won't be done until after the regular 2019 season is over. We also have Bo and Joey just one year ahead of him and that may be a factor. The pack should chill for a while before they resume howling about this one.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I have thought about it and I don't agree with your position. Is Gus a problem? Dillingham? Lack of stability at OC? Is there a problem at all? We'll see. Him living "ten minutes" from the UGA campus and thus closer to both UGA and Clemson than AU may also be a factor, or his considering Oklahoma may be a way of escaping it all. The reason former outstanding AU nose guard Benji Roland played at AU was because half his family wanted hm at UGA and the other half wanted him at Florida, so he shut everybody up and chose Auburn. 

There's a lot that goes into this sort of thing and any decision he makes won't be done until after the regular 2019 season is over. We also have Bo and Joey just one year ahead of him and that may be a factor. The pack should chill for a while before they resume howling about this one.

SOAP.gif

lk.gif

fr.gif

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The fact that people have literally wrote out the real problem for you multiple ways... In-depth, logically, and sarcastically and you still can’t seem to grasp this simple concept is ridiculous to me. 

It’s really ticking me off that I’m going to try to explain it to you too.

Brock Vandergriff is an AU Legacy who has been going to Auburn games since he was in diapers. His mom graduated from Auburn. He has more or less dreamed of being Auburn’s QB since he first waved the orange Pom Poms... he is the closest thing to Bo Nix in terms of “fandom” you can get other than his father not donning the Orange and Blue. Yet he isn’t committed to us... why? Because he LITERALLY SAID he’s waiting to see how Gus handles our offense and QB situation this year. Gus’s track record with QB’s has spoken for itself and is pushing away a kid who would’ve committed last year had Gus not wet his pants for the 5th time in 6 years here. I get your shtick here is to defend Gus and Auburn here until you die but open your eyes and except some criticism.

His statement seems to distance himself personally from Auburn by referring to himself in the third person. Brock Vandagriff, the kid, grew up an Auburn fan. Brock Vandagriff, the QB, maybe not so much. He definitely should do what's best for him but that phrasing tells me a lot. Bo Jackson used to call himself Bo but it was because it was easier to say that "I" due to his stuttering condition. 

5 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

The fact that people have literally wrote out the real problem for you multiple ways... In-depth, logically, and sarcastically and you still can’t seem to grasp this simple concept is ridiculous to me. 

Brock Vandergriff is an AU Legacy who has been going to Auburn games since he was in diapers. His mom graduated from Auburn. He has more or less dreamed of being Auburn’s QB since he first waved the orange Pom Poms... he is the closest thing to Bo Nix in terms of “fandom” you can get other than his father not donning the Orange and Blue. Yet he isn’t committed to us... why? Because he LITERALLY SAID he’s waiting to see how Gus handles our offense and QB situation this year. Gus’s track record with QB’s has spoken for itself and is pushing away a kid who would’ve committed last year had Gus not wet his pants for the 5th time in 6 years here. I get your shtick here is to defend Gus and Auburn here until you die but open your eyes and except some criticism.

tenor.gif

Welcome to the pack!

And what if Gus gets fired? Wins the division?  Auburn fan again? 

I get your shtick here is to defend Gus and Auburn here until you die but open your eyes and except some criticism.

Bad time to get whipped by homophones  again huh. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes, yes and yes. Dilly? Who knows at this point.

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes, yes and yes. Dilly? Who knows at this point.

Exactly. The other stuff is up for question as well. Applying further thought, I note that this guy is a class of 2021 guy. He can't even sign until Auburn has played two more seasons. This will all sort itself out by then.

The pack has an awfully long time to salivate over this before there's any real meat to sink its teeth into, assuming there is any meat there for the pack to chew on early signing day in December of 2020. If he signs early. If not, it will be February of 2021.

28 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Dilly? Who knows at this point.

I thought you were very impressed with Dilly, no?

6 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

He's not committed to Auburn at this time because he can't sign with anybody until two more seasons have passed. Nobody can predict the future and I prefer a guy that will wait until he can make an informed decision instead of jumping on and off trains at every junction in the track. That's a sign of intelligence, which is particularly important at QB.

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Exactly. The other stuff is up for question as well. Applying further thought, I note that this guy is a class of 2021 guy. He can't even sign until Auburn has played two more seasons. This will all sort itself out by then.

The pack has an awfully long time to salivate over this before there's any real meat to sink its teeth into, assuming there is any meat there for the pack to chew on early signing day in December of 2020. If he signs early. If not, it will be February of 2021.

True. But this kid would could be on the commit list, maybe even now, if Gus would have taken care of business last year. The, well we have Nix and Gatewood, kinda of attitude is why our OL roster is so bad. It's a down right shame on a legit top 50 kid. Even if he is 2021. There is no way to sugar coat this in a good way. You can keep trying but you will like like you did talking about the OL.

As far as the other stuff is up for question as well? There is no question. Gus is a problem or has one right now. A huge one. 2/3's or I'll even give you 1/2 of the fan base can't stand him. That is a HUGE HUGE problem.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

But this kid would be on the commit list, maybe even now, if Gus would have taken care of business last year.

You may think that, but that's something you cannot possibly know.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I thought you were very impressed with Dilly, no?

So far so good. But as to his affect on the filed? Who knows. He isn't a problem. The problem is, will Gus listen to him? Still a lot of unknowns here. Gus gets into a rut calling plays, does Gus listen to Dilly or does Dilly even try and help?

Dilly is being betrayed as another Rhette. Can he break out of that mold this year? In the eyes of the kids he is recruiting. Not all the kids see it this way, don't get me wrong, but it's being pushed by his competitors.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He's not committed to Auburn at this time because he can't sign with anybody until two more seasons have passed. Nobody can predict the future and I prefer a guy that will wait until he can make an informed decision instead of jumping on and off trains at every junction in the track. That's a sign of intelligence, which is particularly important at QB.

Even Bo Nix weighed his options, and I think some are reading too much into a tweet or interview!

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

You may think that, but that's something you cannot possibly know.

I know he possibly wanted to get this out of the way early. It was talked about with him, his family, his high school coaches, Gus and Chip. I do know that. I fixed my post BTW. I meant to put "could" not would. I'll edit.

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So far so good. But as to his affect on the filed? Who knows. He isn't a problem. The problem is, will Gus listen to him? Still a lot of unknowns here. Gus gets into a rut calling plays, does Gus listen to Dilly or does Dilly even try and help?

Dilly is being betrayed as another Rhette. Can he break out of that mold this year? In the eyes of the kids he is recruiting. Not all the kids see it this way, don't get me wrong, but it's being pushed by his competitors.

Couldn't Dilly flip that into a positive and say, "Yes you are correct.  I am like the 2013-14 Lashlee that worked with Gus."  I mean that in the sense that Rhett would sprint down the sideline to decipher coverage and tell Gus what call would work to counter it.  That is my goal for Dilly at least.  To give Gus 2-3 options to choose from and Gus goes with it.  I think that would free up Gus' mind to run and gun like the old days.  Just an opinion of course.

On another note, do you feel that all of the new coaches are clicking together well?  Caddy with Grimes with Burns with Dilly?  And same with McGriff, is he picking up like he never left?

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I know he possibly wanted to get this out of the way early. It was talked about with him, his family, his high school coaches, Gus and Chip. I do know that. I fixed my post BTW. I meant to put "could" not would. I'll edit.

Hey WDE. What do you think of Bird's theory that Gus may be going back to his more spaced out more passing days like his time in high school & Tulsa? Seems possible with us planing to take 4 or 5 more WRs in this class.

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Why would any 2021 prospect commit now? After two more seasons are played, every school on his list could have an entirely new coaching staff. Any one of those schools could have won one or more titles, had a 3-9 season, been put on probation for 5 years or any other thing. Common sense would tell anybody to wait for quite some time.

I don’t know how many times people have said we can’t read too much into these things because kids change their mind from month to month, much less two years out! All of these hypotheticals about his situation are just that...

I like Gus's QB recruiting the last 2 cycles. Don't see how it could be any better. I don't really get the concern that Brock Vandergriff has not already committed.  We're on his short list.  Sure he's looking at other options, but then again so are we.  Chill, folks.

Archived