2021 5* QB Brock Vandagriff (UGA)

GwillMac6

Thanks for your opinions.....I just happen to disagree on many ...other than the final one....BVG was #5 on rating I saw and I have to say that I am unfamiliar with his HS and the quality of competition he will see.

The "loss" of this guy is inconsequential at the moment.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

The "loss" of this guy is inconsequential at the moment.

So... Missing out on the #1 player in the class...a 5* QB... Who JUST HAPPENS TO BE a legacy who grew up loving Auburn is "inconsequential?" 

Yea... Its no problem fam...

giphy.gif

That being said, given the current state of the two programs... Its a no brainer to pick Oklahoma. I mean two straight heisman trophy QBs says it all. 

I felt the same way about Nix... And got blasted on NSD for saying as much. 

It isnt a knock on Gus. Its just a harsh reality. Riley has a proven track record when it comes to his QBs. They are gonna get their yards. 

But who knows... Maybe JoeyG will be Malzahns salvation. 

50 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And got blasted on NSD for saying as much.

You got blasted because you kept ignoring the facts of his recruitment. Generalizing broad statements or occurances does not work for every recruitment.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thanks for your opinions..

Agree or not you missed on the the most important statement in the discussion that can't be debated as opinion. Odds being early commits not signing with that school is straight up, undeniable false. Yes it happens but only around a 10% clip. I will give you Spencer Rattler as a Soph when BVG arrives. I'm sure OU hopes to RS Rattler as a freshman next season. But still many talented undergrad kids have beaten upperclassmen QBs over the years.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

No it's not. 90% of commits end up signing with the school they initially commit to. Now whether they remain there is a different story.

That's been true for a long time now, but I do not think it holds for guys that commit two years ahead of time. Commit two months ahead of signing day, yes 90%. Two years? We've had enough of our own change their minds to blow the 90% norm out of the water on the very early guys.

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So... Missing out on the #1 player in the class...a 5* QB... Who JUST HAPPENS TO BE a legacy who grew up loving Auburn is "inconsequential?" 

Yea... Its no problem fam...

giphy.gif

He is not the #1 player....247 had him #5 QB....and that is based in a short HS career thus far....don't get your panties in a wad over what  16 year soph does...it is unbecoming.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

"generational QBs" have been transferring all over the place the last four or five years when they could not crack the line-up at their chosen school.   As for Golf....not always....he can be pretty picky sometimes.

That hurt my feeling 64..................now 

tumblr_n3wxcqaVJX1sgl0ajo1_640.gif

I'm gonna start calling every recruit who is a 4* or better "generational". I think it will really promote and foster a healthy and illuminating conversation, one that will help us all better understand recruiting and, quite frankly, each other. #family #allin  

Image result for family gif

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm gonna start calling every recruit who is a 4* or better "generational". I think it will really promote and foster a healthy and illuminating conversation, one that will help us all better understand recruiting and, quite frankly, each other. #family #allin  

Image result for family gif

And maybe define "legacy" which I always thought meant child of a former player.   As for the guy's attachment to AUburn, if you read the piece that was posted, he fell in love with every school he visited....and it sounded like Amy Vanderbilt had coached him on the etiquette of writing thank you notes to the coaches and schools. 

The guy seems like a classy kid but I am a long way from declaring a rising junior in HS as a must have or game changer for AU....or any school for that matter. 

Just now, AU64 said:

And maybe define "legacy" which I always thought meant child of a former player.   As for the guy's attachment to AUburn, if you read the piece that was posted, he fell in love with every school he visited....and it sounded like Amy Vanderbilt had coached him on the etiquette of writing thank you notes to the coaches and schools. 

The guy seems like a classy kid but I am a long way from declaring a rising junior in HS as a must have or game changer for AU....or any school for that matter. 

Yeah, technically not a legacy that I'm aware of. I wouldn't compare this to Bo Nix, for sure. 

As for his attachment to Auburn, I can't speak to it. I will say that I've gotten the impression from what some others have said that there is a deeper attachment to Auburn than what can be conveyed in any recruiting article or interview. And IMO the kid probably isn't going to come out and say that he wishes he could play at Auburn but that he can't trust Auburn to meet his needs. At least I can't think of a kid ever saying that kind of thing publicly. And if he's sprinkling sugar over every visit he's been on, then he's *definitely* not going to voice any concerns about Auburn publicly.

I will say this... he didn't even throw Auburn a bone by listing us in his group of finalists. I don't know what that means but it's probably not good. 

As to how much this means to Auburn in the long run, I agree with you that it might not be much. But what is an immediate concern to me is if- and this seems to be exactly the case- we badly wanted this kid and didn't even have a chance with him. I can't think of any positive way to spin that.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, technically not a legacy that I'm aware of. I wouldn't compare this to Bo Nix, for sure. 

As for his attachment to Auburn, I can't speak to it. I will say that I've gotten the impression from what some others have said that there is a deeper attachment to Auburn than what can be conveyed in any recruiting article or interview. And IMO the kid probably isn't going to come out and say that he wishes he could play at Auburn but that he can't trust Auburn to meet his needs. At least I can't think of a kid ever saying that kind of thing publicly. And if he's sprinkling sugar over every visit he's been on, then he's *definitely* not going to voice any concerns about Auburn publicly.

I will say this... he didn't even throw Auburn a bone by listing us in his group of finalists. I don't know what that means but it's probably not good. 

As to how much this means to Auburn in the long run, I agree with you that it might not be much. But what is an immediate concern to me is if- and this seems to be exactly the case- we badly wanted this kid and didn't even have a chance with him. I can't think of any positive way to spin that.

Check the second post....AU was listed among his favorites and then he made the strange comment to the effect that he would like to see how Gus develops Bo Nix or Joey G......and yet, before even of them has take a snap he commits to Oklahoma......so if he was being honest about assessing Auburn, one would think that his final commitment is still up in the air.   As we have seen , the term commitment is subject to some non-traditional definitions among young athletes. 

I also took a minute to check his school....private and very small...and though his dad is his coach, I wonder what kind of competition he will face the next two years that would prepare him for the SEC or Big 12.   He plays in a 1A private school league.    If he were playing at one of the big Atlanta area high schools I'd not have any questions ….but then again, if he were at Grayson  or North Gwinnette ....he might still be JV. :dunno:     Just suggesting we be patient before pressing the panic button...

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

And maybe define "legacy" which I always thought meant child of a former player.

It's a the child of an alum, not just a player. His mom is an AU alum so BVG is a legacy. It can also be siblings or grandparents...

What Is A Legacy?
In college admissions, a “legacy” student is defined as someone whose parents attended and/or graduated from the institution to which the student is applying. So if one or more of your parents graduated from Harvard, and you apply to Harvard, you are considered a legacy applicant. In some cases legacy status can also apply to other relatives who are currently or previously attended the institution, including siblings and grandparents.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Check the second post....AU was listed among his favorites and then he made the strange comment to the effect that he would like to see how Gus develops Bo Nix or Joey G......and yet, before even of them has take a snap he commits to Oklahoma......so if he was being honest about assessing Auburn, one would think that his final commitment is still up in the air.   As we have seen , the term commitment is subject to some non-traditional definitions among young athletes. 

I also took a minute to check his school....private and very small...and though his dad is his coach, I wonder what kind of competition he will face the next two years that would prepare him for the SEC or Big 12.   He plays in a 1A private school league.    If he were playing at one of the big Atlanta area high schools I'd not have any questions ….but then again, if he were at Grayson  or North Gwinnette ....he might still be JV. :dunno:     Just suggesting we be patient before pressing the panic button...

Ah, apologies. So he did just straight up say that he wishes he could play at Auburn but can't trust Auburn to meet his needs. Very sober, logical comment. And that explains why we never had a shot with him. 

As for your doubts about his pedigree, you're entitled to them- forgive me if I don't place your opinion above that of Lincoln Riley, or Dan Mullen, or even kirby smart- but neither your doubts nor future results change the fact that this is a big fat L on the recruiting trail. To not get him is one thing. To not even be in consideration is embarrassing. 

Just now, ellitor said:

It's a the child of an alum, not just a player. His mom is an AU alum so BVG is a legacy.

Not doing too hot on the AU legacies where mom is the only one who went to AU. Wasn't Jonah Williams the one also who's mom went to AU but dad went to Georgia or somewhere?

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not doing too hot on the AU legacies where mom is the only one who went to AU. Wasn't Jonah Williams the one also who's mom went to AU but dad went to Georgia or somewhere?

Don't know where dad went but we screwed that one up by not pursuing JW hard.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ah, apologies. So he did just straight up say that he wishes he could play at Auburn but can't trust Auburn to meet his needs. Very sober, logical comment. And that explains why we never had a shot with him. 

As for your doubts about his pedigree, you're entitled to them- forgive me if I don't place your opinion above that of Lincoln Riley, or Dan Mullen, or even kirby smart- but neither your doubts nor future results change the fact that this is a big fat L on the recruiting trail. To not get him is one thing. To not even be in consideration is embarrassing. 

I think he said florida and someone else were the "runner ups" so at best we were 4th place. Yikes.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To not get him is one thing. To not even be in consideration is embarrassing. 

Yup. It's not often schools have any high level QB recruit legacies. We have had advantages over most teams in that area in 2 of 3 classes. I'm glad we got one but given the advantages we should have had both & be top 3 in QB recruiting over that time if our QBs had been developed even at a note wothy level

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think he said florida and someone else were the "runner ups" so at best we were 4th place. Yikes.

The other was UGA & you know what he meant E. 😝

How strange to want to see how the school you may want to attend does in developing your position.

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975d0d276e4c59475951

21 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

First off, long way to go before he can sign anywhere. I have a feeling he'll be at Auburn games this fall.

Second, calling Justin Fields a "generational" QB is a joke, right? That wasn't serious was it? He couldn't beat out Jake Fromm. Fromm is great. GREAT. But he's not a generational QB by any definition. And Fromm > Fields. So if Justin Fields is a generational QB, that's the least talented generation in the history of the sport. I'm sure he's going to be very good this year at OSU. He might even be as good as JT Barrett, but he's not going to be better than Trevor Lawrence. You know, the guy in his signing class who actually happens to be a generational-type of talent.

Vandagriff is making a wise move to sign up with a great program for a good, young coach. He's secure now. But let's not pretend Auburn or anyone else is going to stop recruiting him over the next two years.

To be fair here, Fields has generational QB talent. Hasn't had a real chance to show what he has yet. He didn't leave uga because some dumb redneck kid was a dumb redneck. He left because the uga staff lied to him. He got out of sitting out a year saying he left because of the dumb redneck. Smart move.

Whoa...what's this...not interested in bama or Georgia?     Also I  see he was recruited by our ace recruiter Chip Lindsey....which should be enough to discourage any young QB;

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/brock-vandagriff-210587

But funny to see all the Gus bashers latch on to a 16 year old HS sophomore kid's commitment as justification to climb out on the ledge.....:no:   Amazing

Meanwhile, I'm willing to come back in two years and take another look....

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

But funny to see all the Gus bashers latch on to a 16 year old HS sophomore kid's commitment as justification to climb out on the ledge.....:no:   Amazing

Meanwhile, I'm willing to come back in two years and take another look....

We're aren't on a ledge or bashing Gus. We are calling a spade a spade on the development issues & therefore a spade a spade on should have been a slam dunk to land this kid.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Whoa...what's this...not interested in bama or Georgia?

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/brock-vandagriff-210587

Really??? You are going to try to use that as evidence to a point. You do realize that when a recruit commits the sites change all other schools interest level to none whether there is interest or not right???

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Also I  see he was recruited by our ace recruiter Chip Lindsey....which should be enough to discourage any young QB;

This is... weird. 

Archived