Arkansas post game

Maverick.AU

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

There ya go...

Beating up inept Arkansas, still having head-scratching issues that should no longer be the case along the way, after Offensive ineptitude in losing to Florida the previous game is not going to overly impress discerning fans who are not simply "Rah-Rah! We're gonna win cuz we're Auburn" type fans.  Nice win? Sure. But unless we're Ole Miss or MSU fans, it's nothing to get TOO excited over knowing LSU is next.

Unfortunately, if we want our beloved Tigers to be feared, respected, ALWAYS contending for SEC Titles, then we're not going to be super impressed by defeating doormats year after year while losing to the big 3 year after year (which is practically the case).

Now, if Auburn defeats LSU, in Baton Rouge, with the current state of SEC Officiating?  THAT is the kind of game that you take the "W" no matter what.  It would be highly celebrated, even by some of the harsher critics,  I predict.

However, in a doormat game, HOW the team looks is very important in determining how you think they'll do against upcoming genuine competition.  It's simply analysis & discussion...no malice intended by most of us.  Just wanting our beloved Tigers to be the best they can be.

Objectively, it's not "trashing" the team, or the players, or even Gus.  It's using our football IQs to prepare ourselves for what to expect going forward....good & bad.

Just playing devils advocate but if Gus did win this and then lose to say UGA, people will go back to blasting him. I think these three next games with our rivals will be a war. I don’t care how bad UGA looked against UK & USCe , they won’t come out that way against us and don’t be surprised if they beat UF. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

Just playing devils advocate but if Gus did win this and then lose to say UGA, people will go back to blasting him. I think these three next games with our rivals will be a war. I don’t care how bad UGA looked against UK & USCe , they won’t come out that way against us and don’t be surprised if they beat UF. 

Totally agree.   My comment is strictly regarding the lack of excitement for doormat victories vs the big-game victories under the Gus Era.  Beating the Arkansaseses or Ole Misses of the world (in their current states) are just not going to generate the chest-thumping that beating the rivals will.  And when they LOSE to the rivals well....

I predict that beating LSU would be met with great excitement (and relief) unless Auburn just looks baaaaad....  Then, beat Ole Miss handily and again it'll be a polite golf-clap knowing thUga's next.  And other side, Auburn loses to LSU, in what's become typical fashion, and the Ole Miss win would be even less heartily received than this Arky win.  It's just the nature of discerning football fans.

And speaking for myself only, I don't care how good or bad they look against thUga, at home, when the dawgs are not THAT great, Auburn needs to beat them....period.  So, yes, they lose to them (yet again) and Gus will be blasted, and rightfully so.  If Auburn can't beat it's rivals then they might as well BE Arkansas...

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Totally agree.   My comment is strictly regarding the lack of excitement for doormat victories vs the big-game victories under the Gus Era.  Beating the Arkansaseses or Ole Misses of the world (in their current states) are just not going to generate the chest-thumping that beating the rivals will.  And when they LOSE to the rivals well....

I predict that beating LSU would be met with great excitement (and relief) unless Auburn just looks baaaaad....  Then, beat Ole Miss handily and again it'll be a polite golf-clap knowing thUga's next.  And other side, Auburn loses to LSU, in what's become typical fashion, and the Ole Miss win would be even less heartily received than this Arky win.  It's just the nature of discerning football fans.

And speaking for myself only, I don't care how good or bad they look against thUga, at home, when the dawgs are NOT that great, Auburn needs to beat them....period.  So, yes, they lose to them (yet again) and Gus will be blasted, and rightfully so.  If Auburn can't beat it's rivals than they might as well BE Arkansas...

This is where I respectively disagree. It will be hard to win any of these next three games. I do agree we need to win 1 of the next 3 to get to 9 games but IMO that is an accomplishment in itself with this squad. I also don’t agre that UGA is not that good. They might not be championship caliber , but they have enough talent to line up and beat anybody on any given Saturday. Same thing with someone like tOSU or Clemson. Those teams annually play down to a squad they have no business playing down to, but nonetheless, they are still very talented. If he can win 1 out of 3 rival games I consider that a success. If he can win 2 out of 3 that is even better. He wins 3 out of 3 whoa mama. I know you are being facetious but Arkansas main rival is the aggies and they haven’t beaten them since they have entered the SEC. They definitely not beating any power 5 OOC foes. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

This is where I respectively disagree. It will be hard to win any of these next three games. I do agree we need to win 1 of the next 3 to get to 9 games but IMO that is an accomplishment in itself with this squad. I also don’t agre that UGA is not that good. They might not be championship caliber , but they have enough talent to line up and beat anybody on any given Saturday. Same thing with someone like tOSU or Clemson. Those teams annually play down to a squad they have no business playing down to, but nonetheless, they are still very talented. If he can win 1 out of 3 rival games I consider that a success. If he can win 2 out of 3 that is even better. He wins 3 out of 3 whoa mama. I know you are being facetious but Arkansas main rival is the aggies and they haven’t beaten them since they have entered the SEC. They definitely not beating any power 5 OOC foes. 

Well..... I actually DON'T disagree.  :cheers:  I think there might be a couple misunderstandings due to my poor wording perhaps... (since fixed 😁)

#1: I think it's highly possible Auburn loses all three.  However, it's also highly possible Auburn WINS all three. That's the "Gus Dilemma"....we can't feel comfortable either way because of the inconsistency.  I can't hang my hat on anything to point to, either, because Auburn could come out looking like the 2017 LSU first half.....or the 2017 LSU second half. ...or both! :dunno:

#2: I wasn't clear on what I meant about GA.  My emphasis was placed wrong.  See if me fixing it helps.  Instead of "when the dawgs are NOT that great", how about "when the dawgs are not THAT great".  In other words, though they are obviously always a tough opponent for Auburn, they've proven to not be head & shoulders above Auburn...certainly not THIS year.  Still gonna be a tough game though. 

#3. The "must win" against thUga attitude is just me as I prefaced that comment with.  Not saying it's reality....it's just what I, selfishly, want.....and am expecting if I'm ever to get back on the bus.

And as for Arkansas' rival, that's interesting info.  I never considered aTm as an Arky rival.  I didn't know that.  Even in the SWC days I never thought of aTm as an Arky rival but Arkansas vs Texas was huge back in the day.  But in the SEC I've not seen anyone that truly considered an Arkansas rival.  I know the league has tried to create an arbitrary rivalry between them and LSU, playing for that boot shaped trophy, but I've never heard anyone actually take it seriously since Arky's won only 10 of them since '92.  Yes, that's why I facetiously mentioned them.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Depends on how we look in the loss

I think people realize, if we made the slant a staple in our O, what that simple thing could do. We have the skill position players to make teams pay, more than ever before

7 minutes ago, Coltonspain24 said:

Even worse is he does that same sequence 9/10 times on 4th down too 😑

You also need to add...” and all that goes with that!”

that is so annoying.

5 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

I was like 7 or 8 years old and I remember seeing one of the mechanical Sharks in the back of a truck at the old Holiday Inn in Navarre beach where they also filmed that indoor Scene by the indoor pool...

I need to actually watch Jaws II for the first time so I can revisit the place I spent my graduation night (Holiday Inn Navarre)

14 minutes ago, Coltonspain24 said:

Even worse is he does that same sequence 9/10 times on 4th down too 😑

You know what would really catch defenses off guard? Running left.

23 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Not just Jaws.....but JAWS 2!  Love almost ALL the Jaws movies... :bow:

Yeah, I can imagine Scheider at a nightspot.  Seemed like a guy who enjoyed good time.

I was surprised he wasn't surrounded by an entourage. He was by himself.

13 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I need to actually watch Jaws II for the first time so I can revisit the place I spent my graduation night (Holiday Inn Navarre)

It's a silly, fun movie and so....so....SO 70's!!!!

8 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I was surprised he wasn't surrounded by an entourage. He was by himself.

I actually saw the first Jaws movie while we were in Panama City , summer of 1975. Did not get back in the ocean the rest of the week. 

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

It's a silly, fun movie and so....so....SO 70's!!!!

I watched jaws when I was going through my chemo like no tomorrow. Don’t know what brought it on but I watched them all, multiple times lol

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Oh all misunderstand. I was not saying we should be jumping up and down. Just maybe neutral. And I was actually joking. I don’t post much bc don’t have the actual football knowledge most do. I have no expectations for the LSU game. I personally do not think anyone is going to beat LSU....I heard this morning a sports analyst say Burrow may end up being the best QB to ever come out of the SEC. I see we are a 12 point underdog. That pretty much says it all. For me, it’s easier when my expectations are low. 

The one thing in our favor is Gus' best wins have usually come when nobody gives us a chance. I think he wins out of spite sometimes.

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I think people realize, if we made the slant a staple in our O, what that simple thing could do. We have the skill position players to make teams pay, more than ever before

It goes beyond just slants. People realize that our passing game is anemic and if we can't pound the ball in between the tackles in the inside run game, then we can't move the ball through the air in any capacity. (But ironically enough, if you can pound the ball in between the tackles on a team then you'll really have no need to throw deep except for certain plays and more than often or not that means the team is weak enough to defeat anyways.) Its a sad fact that people don't want to feel helpless against "good" teams that display effective offenses. People want to appear at least competent against other teams and feel like we compare and can move the ball. 

With a team as talented and a coach as highly paid as ours, people just want to compare to some of the other offenses but our team always seems to have some extenuating circumstance to our wins and performance as well as a component of "luck" to it. 

Contrary to popular belief, people just want to settle down and watch good competent football where both teams put an excellent product on the field. Not every fan wants to watch the "Cardiac Cats" brand of football Saturday in and Saturday out. The heart attacks, hair loss (associated with pulling your hair out at hair-brained calls), and profanity-laced drinking gets old....

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

There are only X numbers of carries in a game by RBs, especially when the QB runs and the team runs the sweep a few times. ….SO , the best all round back is gonna get the most carries, followed by BO/JG.... and other backs get mostly token carries where they particular abilities and versatility works well. 

JMO but that is pretty much the way it goes in college football.   Just go on line and look at box scores and you will see that for about every team,  there is one RB who gets about 2/3rd of the carries and another who gets most of the rest. ..unless you look at Wisky where Taylor gets 28 and next guy gets 4.   

I dont know what we're agreeing or disagreeing about so Im just going to leave it at that lol. NOthing is incorrect about what you're saying 

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont know what we're agreeing or disagreeing about so Im just going to leave it at that lol. NOthing is incorrect about what you're saying 

sure...just suggesting that no coach that I am aware of uses a bunch of different RB if he has a couple work horses. ...so of the 5 or 6 we have, at least 3 of them are not gonna see much action unless someone above them get's hurt or Gus has something specific in mind for them.    I see DJ and Kam getting most of the carries in future games.....the other guys , though they may be on the field regularly, I see them only getting a few carries each.     

Looking for JG to be more active as the wildcat.  Boobee was pretty effective at that role...could find holes, had a bit of speed and could break tackles. ….gonna miss that. 

And has Stove lost his job as the sweep man? 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I watched jaws when I was going through my chemo like no tomorrow. Don’t know what brought it on but I watched them all, multiple times lol

Oh man, I hear ya'.  You're going to think I'm silly but mine was old classic show like The Waltons, Andy Griffith...stuff like that.  

Unfortunately, living near the beach, I'm not allowed to watch Jaws movies when my family is around LOL!!!!  But I sneak one in when I can.

I DID get them to watch The Meg with me since it's more like a silly Godzilla type movie but no luck on The Shallows LOL!

24 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

It goes beyond just slants. People realize that our passing game is anemic and if we can't pound the ball in between the tackles in the inside run game, then we can't move the ball through the air in any capacity. (But ironically enough, if you can pound the ball in between the tackles on a team then you'll really have no need to throw deep except for certain plays and more than often or not that means the team is weak enough to defeat anyways.) Its a sad fact that people don't want to feel helpless against "good" teams that display effective offenses. People want to appear at least competent against other teams and feel like we compare and can move the ball. 

With a team as talented and a coach as highly paid as ours, people just want to compare to some of the other offenses but our team always seems to have some extenuating circumstance to our wins and performance as well as a component of "luck" to it. 

Contrary to popular belief, people just want to settle down and watch good competent football where both teams put an excellent product on the field. Not every fan wants to watch the "Cardiac Cats" brand of football Saturday in and Saturday out. The heart attacks, hair loss (associated with pulling your hair out at hair-brained calls), and profanity-laced drinking gets old....

Beautifully stated sir!!!

War Eagle!

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

sure...just suggesting that no coach that I am aware of uses a bunch of different RB if he has a couple work horses. ...so of the 5 or 6 we have, at least 3 of them are not gonna see much action unless someone above them get's hurt or Gus has something specific in mind for them.    I see DJ and Kam getting most of the carries in future games.....the other guys , though they may be on the field regularly, I see them only getting a few carries each.     

Looking for JG to be more active as the wildcat.  Boobee was pretty effective at that role...could find holes, had a bit of speed and could break tackles. ….gonna miss that. 

Stove only had the sweep man job Bc of of Schwartz’s injury 

32 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Oh man, I hear ya'.  You're going to think I'm silly but mine was old classic show like The Waltons, Andy Griffith...stuff like that.  

Unfortunately, living near the beach, I'm not allowed to watch Jaws movies when my family is around LOL!!!!  But I sneak one in when I can.

I DID get them to watch The Meg with me since it's more like a silly Godzilla type movie but no luck on The Shallows LOL!

When I was a kid, I wouldn’t go swimming, even in the lake for at least a year after I saw the original jaws 

39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I wasnt suggesting that we should use multiple guys either, I was just breaking it down how Gus was using guys and why one guy might look more attractive to him over another

We didnt really run sweeps much vs UF or Saturday as I remember, but it seems to be that flanker/slot guy who gets them and Gus moved Schwartz to their full time I think. I think Stove for the most part is done tbh. Everything he brought before Anthony has gone to Anthony, and the split end/outside WR looks he got with Seth hurt have returned home. I dont see anyone other than those two, other than the tough 1 on 1 possession catch looks that Sal and JJ get, receiving many targets 

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

And I agree with this 1000%! Our extremely high paid HC could help his case by running slants especially. Bo has to get better at seeing some of these wide open guys too, he’s missed several wide open drags in the past few games, but we have the guys to make plays in the short passing game and guys that can make plays on the deep stuff when guys start to cheat down 

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Exactly, and if you point out different things that are sticking out that needs improvement people don't have to be so hurt if it happens to be their favorite player. One play it may be one guy, next play it may be another! Just because you see a guy make a mistake game one of the season doesn't mean every play for the rest of the season it's on him. 

For instance every struggle on offense isn't the offensive line. Even if it's a running play or even if the QB had to step up in the pocket.....but carry on. I'm just living vicariously through you lol. It brings a tear to my eye to see you post and not have to fight tooth and nail when you're talking strategy

Archived