Georgia defense zero rushing td's

aubiefifty

How Georgia, Auburn’s next opponent, fared while Auburn was on its bye

Posted Nov 10, 2019

AP Photo/John Raoux

By Giana Han

In its 27-0 win over Missouri, No. 5 Georgia maintained its perfect season against rushing touchdowns.

In the nine games it’s played this season, including eight wins and one loss, Georgia has not given up a single touchdown on the ground.

The Bulldogs, whom Auburn will face next, held the Missouri Tigers scoreless for their third shutout of the season and only allowed them to complete four of their 14 third-down attempts.

Auburn drops to No. 13 in AP Poll

After its bye, Auburn dropped one spot in the AP Poll.

Missouri rushed for just 50 yards against Georgia, more than 100 less than its season average of 169.4 rushing yards per game. It performed much better through the air with 148 passing yards, but that was still below its 233.4 passing yards per game.

Georgia also performed below its offensive season averages but by a smaller margin. It had 166 rushing yards compared to its average of 215 rushing yards and 173 passing yards compared to its average of 232 passing yards.

While Georgia kept Missouri from scoring on the ground, it wasn’t able to run in a touchdown either. Both of its touchdowns were catches, and it made four of its five field goal attempts.

It was Georgia’s defense that outperformed itself. In addition to holding Missouri below the Tigers’ season averages, it also held them below what opponents average against Georgia. Tae Crowder led the Bulldogs with seven tackles and Monty Rice added six. The Bulldogs had two sacks and an interception, as well.

After nine games, Georgia is holding teams to 74.6 rushing yards and 185.8 passing yards. The numbers are lower than Auburn’s, who is holding opponents to 112.7 rushing yards and 221.4 passing yards.

Statistically speaking, Auburn enters crucial stretch with top 20 3rd down defense

Auburn is 19th nationally defensively on third downs this season after the Tigers' second bye week.

Auburn is a rushing team, with 2179 rushing yards for the season and 23 rushing touchdowns. Ranked fourth nationally, Georgia’s defense is the best rushing defense Auburn will face.

With its win, Georgia moved up one spot to No. 5 in the AP Poll released Sunday.

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

They about give up three of em Saturday. Believe dat

I wasn't thinking three TDs but I do think Auburn can score on the ground against them. 

They’ve played Vanderbilt, Murray State, Arkansas State, Notre Dame, Tennessee, SCar, Kentucky, Florida, and Mizzou. Color me not that impressed. Vandy has a good running back and nothing else. Florida’s running backs aren’t that great.

Yes it’s an impressive feat but they’ve played a rather light schedule (Notre Dame is overrated). They lost to SCar who just got handled by App State. 

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

They’ve played Vanderbilt, Murray State, Arkansas State, Notre Dame, Tennessee, SCar, Kentucky, Florida, and Mizzou. Color me not that impressed. Vandy has a good running back and nothing else. Florida’s running backs aren’t that great.

Yes it’s an impressive feat but they’ve played a rather light schedule (Notre Dame is overrated). They lost to SCar who just got handled by App State. 

Gotta remember that even if they are only borderline decent on defense, we will have trouble moving the ball.

If we do score a rushing TD it will probably be from outside of the redzone.     I dont know if anyone else has noticed how we tend to fall flat once inside the 20. 

14 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

If we do score a rushing TD it will probably be from outside of the redzone.     I dont know if anyone else has noticed how we tend to fall flat once inside the 20. 

I have. I've noticed. 

38 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

It's not that bad, its only been for like the last 4 or 5 years.

It will be interesting to see if we can move the ball on the ground w/ DJ and a healthier Boobie.

But I feel Gus will try to pass more early on just b/c he will look at GA stats against the run and we are better in pass blocking than run blocking.

Biggest problem I see is that every game except 2017 and ofc 2013 we have NOT been able to generate over 300+ yards of total offense. If we can get to about 350 in yards we will win. 

If we have more of those less than 5 play drives we will surely lose. 

3 hours ago, The Freak said:

Gotta remember that even if they are only borderline decent on defense, we will have trouble moving the ball.

Agreed. My second greatest concern. My greatest concern is that the boys stay safe (chippy Thuga is not called dirty for no reason), feel supported, have deserved opportunities, and come away proud of their best-effort performance, regardless of w/l results. 

48 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Agreed. My second greatest concern. My greatest concern is that the boys stay safe, feel supported, have deserved opportunities, and come away feeling they left it all on the field, regardless of results. 

Can't tell if there is a load of or a little sarcasm in there.    I worry about moving the ball, especially in the red zone.   I don't care about their feelings, to be honest.  Time to be men.  It's a man's game, played by a whole bunch of men who will play on Sunday.  

"There's gonna come a day, you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed.  All you can do is lay'em on the line again, and again and again."  

If they don't lay it all on the line,  shame on them for blowing their opportunity.

16 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Can't tell if there is a load of or a little sarcasm in there.    I worry about moving the ball, especially in the red zone.   I don't care about their feelings, to be honest.  Time to be men.  It's a man's game, played by a whole bunch of men who will play on Sunday.  

"There's gonna come a day, you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed.  All you can do is lay'em on the line again, and again and again."  

If they don't lay it all on the line,  shame on them for blowing their opportunity.

Not a bit of sarcasm. Grew up with too much of it, very seldom dip my toe into it....well, maybe to answer another's. 😛

It's more my affirmation of a vote of confidence and support in the players themselves. I want them to know that we understand that there is TONS beyond their control, and that they are unequivocally supported, regardless of my personal feelings about other aspects. 

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Agreed. My second greatest concern. My greatest concern is that the boys stay safe, feel supported, have deserved opportunities, and come away feeling they left it all on the field, regardless of results. 

What's your opinion on those not leaving it all on the field?

I'm not gonna go through the trouble (or being a butt) of actually naming names. But I will say that for the last couple years at least, I only have seen offensive players taking a play off now and then, mind you I don't mean mental mistakes or being out of position... but actually not going full speed. Maybe I have blinders on for the defense though 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Mims44 said:

What's your opinion on those not leaving it all on the field?

I'm not gonna go through the trouble (or being a butt) of actually naming names. But I will say that for the last couple years at least, I only have seen offensive players taking a play off now and then, mind you I don't mean mental mistakes or being out of position... but actually not going full speed. Maybe I have blinders on for the defense though 🤷‍♂️

I should change that because it was my way of saying..."Guys, know that we support you no matter what, so play your hearts out...we're cheering you on."

I want them to know they gave it all and that we recognize it. I don't want them to transfer any of (some of our) coach frustrations to not believing in THEM.

Having some "Mama" moments where the team is concerned lately. Feeling super protective. Thank you for the alert of possible misinterpretation, Mims!

3 hours ago, auskip07 said:

Ever since 2014ish

• WarTiger changed the title to Georgia defense zero rushing td's
2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Ever since 2014ish

one reason i cringe when we fall a few yards short of getting into the endzone.   a long yardage play should be a time for celebration 

5 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Agreed. My second greatest concern. My greatest concern is that the boys stay safe (chippy Thuga is not called dirty for no reason), feel supported, have deserved opportunities, and come away proud of their best-effort performance, regardless of w/l results. 

And in addition our passing games only seems to be somewhat decent when we can establish the run first. When teams have boxed us and made us throw we have faltered severely. 

I think our biggest problem with our short yardage to score situation is we take way to long to decide what we’re going to do. This should be worked out during practice. Saying it automatic if inside the ten this play if inside the five this play. If it’s second and goal from the 2-3 this play. No discussion or need to call a time out. That’s what gripes me most . Heck we usually can’t get a play off in time inside the 5. 

14 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think our biggest problem with our short yardage to score situation is we take way to long to decide what we’re going to do.

Gus may have written a book on HUNH, and if he followed his own teachings,  we would almost never have this problem inside the 20.  

I agree - it is disturbing to watch  the confusion and then adjustments just to see a run between the tackles.   DUMB.  Surely they can figure out how they want to line up sometime between, say, April and August.   

Archived