2-3 zone

doverstutts

Reckon why we don't use a 2-3 zone against teams like GSU and USA that drive and use a lot of backcuts?....Why couldn't they collapse down and cut it off because neither of those two teams shot well from the outside....I know that BP doesn't like to use zone too much, but my gosh, these smaller teams have killed us in the lane with quickness and we seem unable to stop the drive when the inside guys are matched against smaller and quicker opponents. ...We are really not quick enough as a team to switch up and match up like we have been the last two years.....I may be off base but I think we need to use zone more than we have. Harper,Bryce and Chuma ain't here this year....Thoughts?

If you watched that VCU-LSU game, there’s portions of that game that present master classes in switching defensive styles. The sudden change between press and no press, press leading into man for a while then a dose of zone. Both sides in the second half threw everything out. Worked well for LSU in stopping the 3 ball that VCU buried them with in the first, (which finally brings me back to the thread) and I think that’s what you would’ve liked to see OP. VCU still went fast, their guards were still doing some of the same actions, but it led to far harder outside shots and more sloppy turnovers where they let the speed of the game hurry them. 

I think we should've used zone more last year but depending on the line up and match ups dictates all of this so it's more a game to game situation. 

But I agree with you as far as this team, we don't really have the depth or the quickness on the perimeter to press all of the time and we'll need to be strategic and unorthodox with it. Okoro is something on defense we haven't had though. Chuma was close but he more so used his length to really defend guys but Okoro may have the ability to literally erase one man out of the line up. If we use him on primary ball handlers we could really interrupt a bunch of teams offensive game plans. And there are only a few teams that has more than one great ball handler on the team ready to play. Hell just think how messed up we'd be if we lost our PG

I did watch the lsu/vcu game...very entertaining game, and i did see how vcu collapsed on mays at the end to deny him a clear lane to the basket....thats what i am wanting us to try to combat the penetration that is killing us against the smaller,quicker guys.....I do think that Akingbola can help considerably as soon as BP can get him slowed down and focused.....He had a wingspan of 7'6" as a 15 year old and since he has grown 3 inches since then, it might be approaching 8'....he is much too hyper but damn he has potential out the roof....

i just want to cut off the deep penetration to the basket by guards and wings driving past our slower guys and getting in deep enough for an easy bucket or getting fouled....against the normal PF/C types, i think we will be fine, but like the USA PF aijia(sic), he abused our big guys and he was listed at 6'6" 230

Another thing i would like to see is to get Okoro matched up on a guard and post him up, and i am sure that will happen at some point...Okoro is a mismatch from hell for opponents, can handle the ball well enough to muscle a guard and quick enough and strong enough to go against the normal 3/4 people....so glad we got a coach that can get the most out of his players ability...it will be nerve wracking for a while, but it will be fun to watch it happen....tuesday almost made me crazy....i thought harper, as a freshman, would cause me another coronary, but i survived that....j'von, might do what harper couldn't ,though

It was frustrating how easily some of those USA players were able to get inside to the basket. I really don't know much about the X's and O's of basketball, so I can't really comment on how to stop that, but surely there's a way to do it with our bunch of guys.

I think our D strategy in these games so far has been to press hard on the 3 line and be ok with giving up some drives hoping that our height advantage can defend the basket. My guess is that Pearl is not confident we can win a game trading 3s with the other team but he was confident we could beat them in a 2 pt contest. I do like the idea of being able to switch defenses throughout the game so i hope we see some zone as the season progresses. Its a good way to disrupt another team once they get some rythm 

We certainly need to improve on keeping more guys in front of us, but to some degree part of this is based on CBP's style of play he wants. He wants high pressure on the ball, and that opens you up to penetration, in the same way a full court press opens you up to getting an easy lay up with a busted press. It is a calculated risk that the pressure will lead to more stops and turnovers (which lead to points) than the zone, sagging defense style. I agree with those who would like to see us mix up our defense more often. To switch between a press man and more zone. 

Let me give you some stats on what I mean by defense being a style choice. Last season we can all agree we were not a keep your man in front defensive team. Here are some of our defensive stat rankings: Opponent Field Goals Attempted (336th) we allowed teams to take a lot of shots because we sped up the game and forced them to play at a faster than usual pace on both ends of the floor (not coincidentally we were 1st in the country in field goals attempted on offense). Though we gave up a lot of shots, we didn't allow a lot of points ranking (104th) in the country at 68.8 pts per game when we were averaging 80. Also, defensively we forced 683 turnovers which also led the country (1st) and we converted that into 21.5 points per game off turnovers. Virginia was #1  in points per game allowed at 56, but they were 75th in turnover margin, we were 3rd. Both clearly translated to wins. 

So sure we can be better, but a part of what is seen as an "issue" is more of a strategy. 

Additionally to support this ... seems apparent to me that amac has been told to keep his feet in n the ground and let the shots go up.  Some of us have mentioned he seems passive ... I now think he has been instructed to be that way.  I think he has been well below his foul average from last year.

• WarTiger changed the title to 2-3 zone

I think part of it is Wiley against big powerful Centers he is great he has trouble with quick centers. Ajai or however he spelled his name was a mismatch for both Wiley and Mac he was to quick for Wiley and to strong for Mac.  They couldn't leave him to help if  a guard got beaten out front. Defense is a team thing as the guys play together more they will rotate better covering up when somebody gets beat.  

As mentioned earlier our style of defense is predicated on causing turnovers on other team as such it will also sometimes lead to easy baskets when we overplay.

Archived