Will Gus be fired?

ToomersStreet

My thought is that they should fire him but I am not sure if they will. To me you have to give him some credit for hiring a great Def. coach and I think they made him do that. The whole reason why we hired him and kept him is because he was supposed to be a great Off. mind. He has been anything but that. So with that said my best guess is that one of two things happens. One they fire him or Two they tell him to get a real Off. Cord. and let them run the Off.. I don't think he can bring himself to do that so in that case he will tell them no and be fired, do it but not really let the person run the Off. and be fired next year or realize what he has to do. With our schedule next year if he could really look in the mirror and see what he needs to do we could have a really good year. I don't think he is able to do that though. The fact that they let him come back this year is the only reason why I think he has a chance to come back next year. He didn't deserve to come back this year and not much has changed better or worse so obviously we are missing something. If the money and the will to do it is really in place like many say it is they should have done it last year. At this point if it were up to me and I knew I had a homerun in place I would let him go before the Alabama ( with Tua out we have a shot at that game and I would not want that to save him) on the other hand if we can't find a homerun I would keep him with the ultimatum that he get a great OC with a track record of developing QB's ( I thought that was supposed to be the big thing about the one we have but it must not be true). I would give myself next year to find that homerun. If Greene can't do that then he might need to go as well.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, keesler said:

One wrong play at the end and Auburn ties UGA, right?

Right,  Then anything could happen in OT. Point is you don't take that chance.

18 minutes ago, WarDamn2010 said:

Probably not. The kicking situation leads us to try a 2 point conversion, where Gus inevitably schemes up a play only a true offensive savant could conjure.
We have to run the play they would absolutely never expect. Picture it. Whitlow gets the ball, but in the wildcat. Literally no one could possibly know what's going to happen. Then, he runs up the middle, straight at their largest defender........and we lose by 1

No way we don’t take it to overtime with our defense. If we had scored 21 unanswered in the fourth then I’d definitely trust our team to win in OT 

44 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Some also say that he hates saban enough that it plays into his desire, but obviously I have no idea if that's true or not. 

Auburn City Schools....Auburn City Schools....Auburn City Schools....Auburn City Schools....Auburn City Schools....Auburn City Schools....Auburn City Schools....Auburn City Schools....Auburn City Schools....

Two young children...❤

Think about a Steele coached defense, Garner coached d line and a Cristobal coached O line 😎. We’d own the trenches anyways haha 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m not so sure those guys really care either. Fact is Auburn has a 63% all time record. What most of us consider our greatest two coaches were Dye (71% winning record) and Shug (66% winning record). We probably would have run both of those guys off nowadays. 

We are a middle of the road team, historically. Not saying we can’t one day be better. But in 127 years of football, we’ve never taken that step to be great. So I have no reason to believe Auburn has a bunch of people at the top that are eager for that. 

In the last 20 years, the list of programs that have won or played for one or more national championships is much shorter than the list of FBS programs.  Auburn is one of the programs that has made 2 appearances, and should have made 3.  That puts Auburn football squarely into some elite company.  Auburn invests in being an elite program.  Auburn football recruits in the top 10, and it certainly pays the coaching staff top 10 money.  There are definitely members of the Board of Trustees and influential donors that are not content with seeing Auburn's money and resources feeding mediocrity as the status quo.

Just now, Strychnine said:

In the last 20 years, the list of programs that have won or played for one or more national championships is much shorter than the list of FBS programs.  Auburn is one of the programs that has made 2 appearances, and should have made 3.  That puts Auburn football squarely into some elite company.  Auburn invests in being an elite program.  Auburn football recruits in the top 10, and it certainly pays the coaching staff top 10 money.  There are definitely members of the Board of Trustees and influential donors that are not content with seeing Auburn's money and resources feeding mediocrity as the status quo.

Furthermore, a top coach would look at our program and see that we already beat most teams in the conference. All he'd have to do is pull of 1 or 2 wins against our big 3 rivals in his first year to be off to a great start. There wouldn't really be the typically "building year" typically seen with a new coach. Unlike in years past, we don't have to watch the wheels fall off before we make a change; that makes it a very attractive deal for a prospective coach.

Here’s the thing though. These good old boys aren’t going to go away if we are tugging on their belt loop everytime we need them to pony up money for something. And they shouldn’t. If a group of guys agrees to pay for this stupid buyout, they’re damn sure going to want to have a say in who comes in next. And the merry go round continues to turn.

Maybe. Everything runs its course, though. The gladiatorial games didn't stop the minute Telemachus' speech shamed the public, which led to his martyrdom...but not too long after, enough was enough. 

17 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Did anyone actually want him at Auburn? 

or Vanderbilt?

Imagine what its like at these schools knowing you will never win a championship in football..never.

Riddle me the Batman:

If Steele made it known to the PTB that is he is gone if Gus returns,  any chance that changes minds of the PTB?

Let me break this down for you: 

1.  if you fire Gustav this year, you have a good chance to keep Steele (older, likes Auburn and entrenched with a successful pipeline of coaches and players).   Maybe Steele is interim - maybe.     Costs you $27 mil and you probably keep your championship quality D

2. Wait til next year, you will have lost the brains and DC of the program.   You will likely have to pay a new DC to leave b/c he has no ties here and pay Gus about $19 to leave.   Total cost is probably about $23mil.

I am just guessing at the dollars, but the concepts are laid out:  one scenario lets you build now and keep a great defense coord and staff.   The other, you save $3-4 mil, but we start from scratch after another 8-4 season ( I hope - brand new O Line....eeek).

I’m not so sure those guys really care either. Fact is Auburn has a 63% all time record. What most of us consider our greatest two coaches were Dye (71% winning record) and Shug (66% winning record). We probably would have run both of those guys off nowadays. 

Even though the NCAA issues with paying Eric Ramsey are part of Dye's legacy his winning percentage would have been much higher if not for those last two seasons of turmoil. He was getting it done until he wasn't of course but his win percentage was 76% before those last two seasons. That's an average of one win per season more than Gus at this point. Auburn can do better if the people who make the decision want to do better. 

12 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Riddle me the Batman:

If Steele made it known to the PTB that is he is gone if Gus returns,  any chance that changes minds of the PTB?

Let me break this down for you: 

1.  if you fire Gustav this year, you have a good chance to keep Steele (older, likes Auburn and entrenched with a successful pipeline of coaches and players).   Maybe Steele is interim - maybe.     Costs you $27 mil and you probably keep your championship quality D

2. Wait til next year, you will have lost the brains and DC of the program.   You will likely have to pay a new DC to leave b/c he has no ties here and pay Gus about $19 to leave.   Total cost is probably about $23mil.

I am just guessing at the dollars, but the concepts are laid out:  one scenario lets you build now and keep a great defense coord and staff.   The other, you save $3-4 mil, but we start from scratch after another 8-4 season ( I hope - brand new O Line....eeek).

Did Steele say that? Or is this hypothetical? Bc if Gus stays AND Steele leaves.......God help us

2 minutes ago, WarDamn2010 said:

Did Steele say that? Or is this hypothetical? Bc if Gus stays AND Steele leaves.......God help us

hypothetical

Personally, I think he should be fired. I was told the PTB voted after the UGA game 8-6 to remove. This is second hand information so take it worth a grain of salt. The PTB was meeting last night to discuss again. I don’t know how that meeting went, but what I was told was previous discussions about Gus’s removal had been tied 8-8. The shift occurred after UGA where 2 voters who had been in favor of keeping him were finally swayed. I imagine they would be talking about it last night to see if folks would change their minds after sleeping on it.

Like I said at the start take all this with a grain of salt.

10 minutes ago, WarDamn2010 said:

Steele ain't the kind of guy that would go over his boss' head to any Auburn power broker and give them an ultimatum like that.  The last thing Steele needs to do is take a chance on pissing off Gus like that and losing that hefty +$2MM/yr salary he's drawing right now.

Every coach on this staff knows this is a gravy train, they won't rock the boat.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Steele ain't the kind of guy that would go over his boss' head to any Auburn power broker and give them an ultimatum like that.  The last thing Steele needs to do is take a chance on pissing off Gus like that and losing that hefty +$2MM/yr salary he's drawing right now.

Every coach on this staff knows this is a gravy train, they won't rock the boat.

Agreed. With any luck though, maybe next year we'll have someone to row it! :D

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

I agree that Steele doesn’t seem like the type to do shady stuff. But Gus would have to have a huggggggge set of balls to cross Steele. He knows that he if he does anything to Kevin Steele, the AU family would be out in front of his house with pitchforks. Lol

19 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I agree that Steele doesn’t seem like the type to do shady stuff. But Gus would have to have a huggggggge set of balls to cross Steele. He knows that he if he does anything to Kevin Steele, the AU family would be out in front of his house with pitchforks. Lol

JMO it's not about the size of someone's balls but the extent of their character.   

I seriously doubt that either of these guys would undercut the other.   They've worked together for a number of years now and I have never heard even a whiff of rumor that they don't get along...professionally or personally.   Both seem to be honorable guys and have never to my knowledge done anything to demean Auburn or each other.      What will happen will happen but I can't imagine either of these guys using the other as a scapegoat for the team's results.  

Pretty much this is just business....coaches get hired and they get fired.....the nature of the business and mostly they don't seem to take it personally. as long as the school deals  honestly with them. 

38 minutes ago, keesler said:

Concur...I was just posing a hypothetical.

I didn't mean to infer K Steele would.   But I could see a program making a run and trying to hire him away.  That is 100% plausible.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO it's not about the size of someone's balls but the extent of their character.   

I seriously doubt that either of these guys would undercut the other.   They've worked together for a number of years now and I have never heard even a whiff of rumor that they don't get along...professionally or personally.   Both seem to be honorable guys and have never to my knowledge done anything to demean Auburn or each other.      What will happen will happen but I can't imagine either of these guys using the other as a scapegoat for the team's results.  

Pretty much this is just business....coaches get hired and they get fired.....the nature of the business and mostly they don't seem to take it personally. as long as the school deals  honestly with them. 

I agree with you. Gus is a little goofy, but I never thought for a second that he’s a jerk or a schemer. I was just responding to the pissing off Gus and losing 2 mil part.

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Concur...I was just posing a hypothetical.

I didn't mean to infer K Steele would.   But I could see a program making a run and trying to hire him away.  That is 100% plausible.

not a doubt....when a HC is dismissed, the sharks circle the water to get the better assistants since it's almost automatic that a new HC brings a new staff and those working for the soon departed are out with their resume's pretty quickly.  

I think it's far from a given that a new coach would come in and keep Steele. 

Yes, he has kept our defense at a high level but there will be a good level of turnover on the defense this season anyway and hamstringing a new coach with a coordinator he didn't hire is a good way to get us into some kind of a mess with a coach. We all may like Steele a lot, but there's a few good defensive coaches in college football who could come in as well. 

Archived