Minnesota game preview

Zeek

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BSPN just rated 40 of this year's bowls from most to least entertaining. AU vs Minn is #7. They joked that Fleck's "Row the Boat" thing and Raymond James stadium having a pirate ship is no coincidence. Unfortunately they had to be BSPN and add that but for 1 second being added in Ironbowl Bama WOULD be in the playoffs. 

14 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

My sources say the Gophers are gonna win.

image.png

May I suggest a change in sources?😎

30 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

You mean stop listening to them that tell me what I want to hear?

Bingo. Yahtzee

7 hours ago, everybody knows my name said:

In the interest of getting to know your opponent, here are the Minnesota season highlights, courtesy of the Big Ten Network.  Let me know if you have something similar.  I'd like to get an idea what your team looks like at its best.

* Video* 

Not aware of any Auburn hype videos of the entire season.   

But we played some hard teams this year (as always) and you may be interested in highlight videos of a few of those games.  

Auburn v #6 Oregon:  https://youtu.be/UYeInuWsYSI

Auburn v #1 LSU:  https://youtu.be/iifI9rX_LVc

Auburn v #13 Alabama:  https://youtu.be/035gFKA8mbM  

We tend to play a lot of nail-biters and make some ESPN promo/highlight reel plays every season.  You should consider us a big, bad box of chocolates.   You never know what you're going to get until we come screaming down your chimney like Santa Claus from Hell. 

Don’t like this matchup at all. This is their Super Bowl against us & our players were tweeting about how pissed they were about the outback. Hope the tude changes 

6 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Don’t like this matchup at all. This is their Super Bowl against us & our players were tweeting about how pissed they were about the outback. Hope the tude changes 

Sucks to be playing a bowl game with no upside, but I don't expect a UCF meltdown this year.  

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Sucks to be playing a bowl game with no upside, but I don't expect a UCF meltdown this year.  

No upside?   did you or do you play sports?   The upside is to play a game you love to play,  the Tiger Walks, to win a game that makes the fans and players feel good, to come home with the feeling of winning a bowl game, the bling packages and entertainment during the bowl game week, etc.     Yet....the upside of winning is probably much less than the down side of losing. a game you feel like you should have won if you had given sufficient effort.     

JMO but the biggest downside of the sport is being part of a team that sits home during the bowl season watching other teams on TV. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

No upside?   did you or do you play sports?   The upside is to play a game you love to play,  the Tiger Walks, to win a game that makes the fans and players feel good, to come home with the feeling of winning a bowl game, the bling packages and entertainment during the bowl game week, etc.     Yet....the upside of winning is probably much less than the down side of losing. a game you feel like you should have won if you had given sufficient effort.     

JMO but the biggest downside of the sport is being part of a team that sits home during the bowl season watching other teams on TV. 

Well, there you go, @TAYLORKEETON

There's no reason at all for the team to not perform to the highest level in the Outback Bowl.  Glad to see someone finally dispelling the myth about not bringing our 'A game' v UCF.  We should win handily, mainly because of the bling packages.  

I was, of course, talking about the implications of the bowl itself.  If we win, it's no big deal because we should win against #18.   And, no matter how many points we score, we'll still end the season ranked behind our biggest rival - a team we beat during the season.  

5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

If we win, it's no big deal because we should win against #18.

And so we should lose against #4 teams?   that's the logic you are using? 

Rankings are subjective and lower rated teams frequently win games when the higher rated team takes a game for granted....like the UCF game ….and the other is more motivated.     JMO but with DB playing, I have no concern about AU being sufficiently motivated. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And so we should lose against #4 teams?   that's the logic you are using? 

Rankings are subjective and lower rated teams frequently win games when the higher rated team takes a game for granted....like the UCF game ….and the other is more motivated.     JMO but with DB playing, I have no concern about AU being sufficiently motivated. 

Sounds like you want to argue this morning and you're willing to twist things around to do it. 

I read the team wasn't happy about our chosen opponent.  I (perhaps incorrectly) thought it was because beating Missouri would not be as sweet a victory as beating someone like Michigan or playing against a higher ranked team.  But now that you've proven to me that rankings are subjective and, that being the case, all bowl games and opponents are equal, I'm stumped as to their disappointment.   Maybe they just don't like Tampa?    

I think Auburn is better, but this is a game we can lose.

Minnesota has an efficient QB and two splendid receivers. We have talented receivers, probably more talented, but a limited QB and a less sophisticated passing game. Their guys make plays.

They beat Penn State when Penn State knew they'd better show up. I watched that game.

Always beware of a reasonably talented team with excellent coaching.

21 hours ago, AURealist said:

Not aware of any Auburn hype videos of the entire season.   

But we played some hard teams this year (as always) and you may be interested in highlight videos of a few of those games.  

Auburn v #6 Oregon:  https://youtu.be/UYeInuWsYSI

Auburn v #1 LSU:  https://youtu.be/iifI9rX_LVc

Auburn v #13 Alabama:  https://youtu.be/035gFKA8mbM  

We tend to play a lot of nail-biters and make some ESPN promo/highlight reel plays every season.  You should consider us a big, bad box of chocolates.   You never know what you're going to get until we come screaming down your chimney like Santa Claus from Hell. 

Or consider us a jar of jalapenos - what we do today always burns our butt tomorrow.

On 12/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, everybody knows my name said:

My sources say the Gophers are gonna win.

image.png

I don't know. There looks to be some worry on Gophers face to me. 

Screenshot_20191214-203904~2.png

On 12/9/2019 at 6:42 AM, Brad_ATX said:

This is same logic people used last year with Purdue because they beat Ohio State without looking at the roster.  If you want a real idea of their talent level, look at the last five years of recruiting rankings.

2019 - 45th

2018 - 38th

2017 - 59th

2016 - 46th

2015 - 63rd

On average, they recruit about 25 spots lower than Mississippi State over that period. 

Also, the teams that Minnesota beat went a combined 51-70. 18 of those 51 wins were from Penn State and FCS SD State.  Essentially they beat one good team all year, just like Purdue did last year.

If Brown and Davidson play, we boat race the Gophers.  If those two sit out, we still probably win, but more like two touchdowns.  The Minnesota o-line is severely outmatched in this game.

Hhhmmm, so they've averaged a 50th natonal rank recruiting class each year; and,yet, we're playing in the same bowl game ... I think it's safe to say they're a group of overachievers.   Gus is 2-4 in bowl games.  I think it's safe to say he's an underachiever in bowl games (hence all the UCF references in this thread).    This is not a great matchup for us.  

18 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Hhhmmm, so they've averaged a 50th natonal rank recruiting class each year; and,yet, we're playing in the same bowl game ... I think it's safe to say they're a group of overachievers.   Gus is 2-4 in bowl games.  I think it's safe to say he's an underachiever in bowl games (hence all the UCF references in this thread).    This is not a great matchup for us.  

Or it's safe to say they played a really squishy soft schedule.  The 8 teams they beat not named Penn State or South Dakota State averaged records of 4-8.

Also, we played in the Sugar a few years ago against Oklahoma despite us being 8-4.  Someone had to go, but we had no business being there.  Just because we're in the same bowl as another team is not a barometer of the talent or competition faced thus far.

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Or it's safe to say they played a really squishy soft schedule.  The 8 teams they beat not named Penn State or South Dakota State averaged records of 4-8.

Also, we played in the Sugar a few years ago against Oklahoma despite us being 8-4.  Someone had to go, but we had no business being there.  Just because we're in the same bowl as another team is not a barometer of the talent or competition faced thus far.

I think that Sugar Bowl would’ve gone a lot differently if our QB hadn’t gotten hurt early in the game.

Thanks for the video...main thing I learned is that the new Rutgers coach has a big task ahead of him.....well,  Maryland too....bottom of the BIG is pretty bad.  

On 12/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, Brad_ATX said:

The teams we beat not named UAT had an avg of 6-6....not sure that's makes the point you wanted to make.  We paid $50m to play against Avg Joe's Gym in another nothing bowl game; that history says we likely won't do well against.

Archived