Men vs Missouri Game Thread

Maverick.AU

8 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Wiley was the Auburn guy that played worth a darn. What's wrong with Bruce Pearl and this team???

Pearl? Really! The guy that has some of the best seasons for AU basketball? A lot of people who follow this team closely are just happy that we have won 22 games with what he had coming back. We lost A LOT of production from last year and it's a miracle of Pearl's coaching that has us this good.

9 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

Well get use to this...wait until next year...with 6 seniors and Okoro leaving, we'll be pushing up the bottom of the SEC....nothing against the guys on the team next year, but just the number of points that will return....maybe 5 points??? Unless we get a grad transfer or two, we're going to be very young and inexperience....

Disagree completely. Not sure if you remember the amount of progress Harper made from his freshman year to his sophmore year. We have talented players that are still freshman and learning. And we have REALLY good talent coming in next year. Watch out if Green comes! This team will have more talent next year than this year.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Pearl? Really! The guy that has some of the best seasons for AU basketball? A lot of people who follow this team closely are just happy that we have won 22 games with what he had coming back. We lost A LOT of production from last year and it's a miracle of Pearl's coaching that has us this good.

Disagree completely. Not sure if you remember the amount of progress Harper made from his freshman year to his sophmore year. We have talented players that are still freshman and learning. And we have REALLY good talent coming in next year. Watch out if Green comes! This team will have more talent next year than this year.

And how much have Doughty and McCormick improved. Doughty has been off the charts in my opinion. Never saw that coming. Not a sure thing, but some of these guys will improve. How much remains to be seen.

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

BP is an enabler, but he's only ENABLING bad tendencies. They're still harnessing and allowing these bad tendencies themselves. I think that's the negative part of this free lance offense they run so often. If your players aren't high IQ guys (and we only have a few of those on O), then v bad things can occur

I know he's never going to do it but I wish Pearl would put the red light on Flan from 3. He's not going to make those shots and it's just a turnover when he tries. He is shooting 13.8% and still firing up 3-4 a game. As a coaches son, I thought he would learn that he can't take those shots.

14 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Well that stunk but this goes to show that you can't afford bad nights even against middling teams these days. The overall talent level in the SEC is just too good now. We're still 22-3 and one game out of the league lead in a year everyone had pegged as a rebuild due to Person BS and roster turnover. Everyone breathe, everything is fine.

The coaching is pretty good across the board, too.

We have to get more and better talent than we have this year. This bunch has reached their ceiling and are to be commended for the maximum effort they put out to get to 22-3. They won on guts and coaching because there is not a lot of real talent on this team

4 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

We have to get more and better talent than we have this year. This bunch has reached their ceiling and are to be commended for the maximum effort they put out to get to 22-3. They won on guts and coaching because there is not a lot of real talent on this team

Yep. A couple of dynamic players who can threaten a defense with more than just catch and shoot. The word being dynamic. A solid team that wins with grit and steady play. That's what we have.

42 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

I would rub in too, if I had a season like theirs the last what, 3 or more years? That's their Super Bowl win.

This. We are everyone's super bowl now. That's how far Bruce has taken this program. Any complaints on coaching that I've read tonight need some context. The only people to blame for this loss are the players. We had a lot of guys shrink and hide all game long. 

12 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Yes. This x1000. We flat out need more difference makers. Hopefully Cambridge and Flannigan one day can develop in to being every night contributors but for right now they are limited in what they can do role players. Cambridge has gone off twice at home but he hasn't had one good road game yet. 

I watched the updykes beat LSU today with almost all the scoring coming from guards. They outplayed the guards from LSU because they had to. I would take any 2 of the 4 they have. Our guys play their asses off, but are limited by their ability, and they don't always play smart . They have performed better than I thought they would, though I wish they would make less mental goofs

This game really should not surprise us. A road game, without our Auburn's best player, and after playing, AND BEATING, ky, ark, lsu and bamr. Mental fatigue was bound to set in.  Auburn will likely lose at uga. But come back strong at home and beat tn and OM.

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

This game really should not surprise us. A road game, without our Auburn's best player, and after playing, AND BEATING, ky, ark, lsu and bamr. Mental fatigue was bound to set in.  Auburn will likely lose at uga. But come back strong at home and beat tn and OM.

It does not suprised me we played so bad. Mizzou suprised me by playing how good that they did. They truly are a awful team. These are the road games you want to swipe. They are the 302nd best three point shooting team in the country. But today they of course we're en Fuego. SMH.

36 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Who stepped on the lag of a Missouri player? I missed the play, but I a text saying an Auburn guy slammed his foot on a Missouri guy while he was down. If an Auburn guy really did that, then Pearl needs to bench his ass for the rest of the season.

Cambridge. Didn’t stomp, but deliberately stepped on the dude’s leg(contrary to what one poster says). He’ll get his internal punishment and we’ll move on. 

8 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I watched the updykes beat LSU today with almost all the scoring coming from guards. They outplayed the guards from LSU because they had to. I would take any 2 of the 4 they have. Our guys play their asses off, but are limited by their ability, and they don't always play smart . They have performed better than I thought they would, though I wish they would make less mental goofs

That whole operation is predicated by Kira Lewis ability to break down the defense off the dribble. And when he does the defense collapses on him and he kicks it out to wide open shooters. Oats is lucky him and petty did not transfer out like they intended to do when AJ got fired. Without them bama has a vandy like sec record right now.

14 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

no. Uga is in a tailspin

Just our luck they will play their best game of year! They do suck, and we need to remind them of this!

40 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Cambridge. Didn’t stomp, but deliberately stepped on the dude’s leg(contrary to what one poster says). He’ll get his internal punishment and we’ll move on. 

Freshman. Playing more minutes than normal. Trying to pick up the slack. Behind on the road. Lack of poise and maturity. Frustration in the heat of the moment. More importantly than the points and extra possession, that one play was so out in the open and obvious, it angered the crowd and re-energized the Mizzou players. At least it happened today, and not in a game with more on the line at crunch time. He'll learn.

Just a word of caution , don’t pay this game much attention. Anyone who watches D1 basketball knows these days happen. First it is a road game. Second it’s been a long stretch since Christmas. A lot of tough games. We played without a starter. Missouri is about done for the year this game was as close as they will come to the spotlight. Let them enjoy their brief moment of glory beating a team at home that was playing without a starter and add in referees that were very intent on calling against Auburn tonight for whatever reason. Now that we have all that off our shoulders let’s move on to finish the season. We are still 22-3 . Top 15 team still will be a #3 seed #4 at worse. And yes Bruce has brought us to this point. For those worrying about the folks we are losing you might remember we list 5 good ones last year and three of those were drafted and still we are sitting here in better shape than we were last year. Everybody at this point last year that thought we would be a final 4 team and beat 3 blue bloods in a row, please raise your hand. None . I didn’t think so. This team is good enough to win it all. Will they. We will have to see. Getting to the tourney in a good spot is all you can do, and we have done that. Now it takes a lot of luck and the ball bouncing your way and hoping no injuries. Point is we are right where we need to be. As far as next year you might want to look at the class we just recruited. Bruce said it might well be his best class ever. Includes another 5 star probably one and done like Okoro. But that’s the way it is when you play in the top with the big boys. Look at KY they pretty much change their whole starting line up. Remember too when you are on top like AU then your going to get every teams best game and a lot of poor officiating because those refs are people and have biases. Bottom line, most of you wanted AU to be in the big league in basketball. Well we are here. Now how about some of y’all start acting like AU belongs here. 

Just now, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Just a word of caution , don’t pay this game much attention. Anyone who watches D1 basketball knows these days happen. First it is a road game. Second it’s been a long stretch since Christmas. A lot of tough games. We played without a starter. Missouri is about done for the year this game was as close as they will come to the spotlight. Let them enjoy their brief moment of glory beating a team at home that was playing without a starter and add in referees that were very intent on calling against Auburn tonight for whatever reason. Now that we have all that off our shoulders let’s move on to finish the season. We are still 22-3 . Top 15 team still will be a #3 seed #4 at worse. And yes Bruce has brought us to this point. For those worrying about the folks we are losing you might remember we list 5 good ones last year and three of those were drafted and still we are sitting here in better shape than we were last year. Everybody at this point last year that thought we would be a final 4 team and beat 3 blue bloods in a row, please raise your hand. None . I didn’t think so. This team is good enough to win it all. Will they. We will have to see. Getting to the tourney in a good spot is all you can do, and we have done that. Now it takes a lot of luck and the ball bouncing your way and hoping no injuries. Point is we are right where we need to be. As far as next year you might want to look at the class we just recruited. Bruce said it might well be his best class ever. Includes another 5 star probably one and done like Okoro. But that’s the way it is when you play in the top with the big boys. Look at KY they pretty much change their whole starting line up. Remember too when you are on top like AU then your going to get every teams best game and a lot of poor officiating because those refs are people and have biases. Bottom line, most of you wanted AU to be in the big league in basketball. Well we are here. Now how about some of y’all start acting like AU belongs here. 

Ps Bruce did exactly what he should have. We could afford to lose a game . It won’t hurt our seeding. Best thing to do tonight was rest Okoro and give the young guys some real minutes that’s how they learn. Sometimes losses are good. This was a good loss . The guys needed to remember how it feels to lose. Hopefully they learn and move forward. 

1 hour ago, Hopsing said:

Just our luck they will play their best game of year! They do suck, and we need to remind them of this!

Sadly I expect that to happen.

Ugly. Sad. Not just pitiful, but embarrassing.

Apparently, without Okoro, Auburn is .....? .....lame?

I suppose the narrative is -- Okoro will be back for the "important" games and the tourneys. But if your games against BOTTOM DWELLERS like Mizzery depend totally on one player, you got problems.

Sorry. I'm not dissing our Tigers. I love my Tigers. But I'm definitely disappointed in their play tonight. Bruce and every one else said that others needed to step up. They didn't. They didn't "step up" they "^&*% up."

Gonna have to do a lot better than this going into the tournaments. A LOT better.

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Every concern on this page is likely getting rectified with the next recruiting class and wouldn't be as much of a concern with this year if it wasn't for lingering threats that affected us like sanctions

Yep. Recruiting took a hit during the uncertainty. All the impact players are freshmen and seniors, and some of those were transfers. No juniors, and no impact from the few sophomores on the roster. Bruce and the coaches have done a helluva job navigating that mess. Next year, no upperclassmen unless they can pull transfer or two out of the hat. But the freshmen should be major impact players no doubt.

4 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Yep. Recruiting took a hit during the uncertainty. All the impact players are freshmen and seniors, and some of those were transfers. No juniors, and no impact from the few sophomores on the roster. Bruce and the coaches have done a helluva job navigating that mess. Next year, no upperclassmen unless they can pull transfer or two out of the hat. But the freshmen should be major impact players no doubt.

IDK how many spots there'll be. Off the top of my head, Jvon, Doughty, DP, Wiley, and Mac will be gone. Okoro will likely also be gone. From what I know, we have 3 recruit currently signed. Jalen Green may or may not come but lets assume he does. That gives you 2 spots left. If they can get one more high end recruit and one more respectable big/GT, I think they're set. 

For me, ideally, we'd push Turbo Jones to move on and use that spot for the GT. Id like to those 2 remaining scholly spots on one more forward and a center, ideally. Turbo being replaced for a good GT PG would be PERFECT for this team's outlook. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

IDK how many spots there'll be. Off the top of my head, Jvon, Doughty, DP, Wiley, and Mac will be gone. Okoro will likely also be gone. From what I know, we have 3 recruit currently signed. Jalen Green may or may not come but lets assume he does. That gives you 2 spots left. If they can get one more high end recruit and one more respectable big/GT, I think they're set. 

For me, ideally, we'd push Turbo Jones to move on and use that spot for the GT. Id like to those 2 remaining scholly spots on one more forward and a center, ideally. Turbo being replaced for a good GT PG would be PERFECT for this team's outlook. 

Agreed. As many capable ball handlers, as we can get. Today, we have 3 competent ball handling threats. 2 senior guards with a freshman 3 position player likely gone. Cooper is a great start. Green would be oh so terrific, as a guy with a much needed scorer's mentality. Both of them high level. One more would be necessary for backup and rotation purposes. If it exists on the roster now, I haven't seen it.

7 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Agreed. As many capable ball handlers, as we can get. Today, we have 3 competent ball handling threats. 2 senior guards with a freshman 3 position player likely gone. Cooper is a great start. Green would be oh so terrific, as a guy with a much needed scorer's mentality. Both of them high level. One more would be necessary for backup and rotation purposes. If it exists on the roster now, I haven't seen it.

That and a reliable catch-and-shoot guy. Even with this team’s obvious limitations, one reliable outside shooter would take this current team to the next level. I’m thrilled and surprised by what they’ve accomplished record-wise thus far but I’ll be more surprised if they make it to the second weekend of the NCAA tourney. And, if they don’t they have nothing to hang their head about.

Archived