2021 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

tigerbrotha12

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Desi Sills is likely headed to AU today per JLee.

Auburn people seem to be meh about this guy on Twitter, but he played with 3 other guards who were fantastic at scoring, and had to play the back once Davis started coming alive. For OUR team, he has the most success succeeding in THIS conference, is a better defensive option than Alexander, and a severely better creator than Cambridge. 
I could be forgetting someone, but the main small forward options behind Flan are Cambridge and the potential of Thor and Jabari rotating there for minutes right. It’s nice to have another 2 that can assure Devan plays the majority of his minutes there, and gives Allen a consistent reprieve. 
Desi is NOT a necessity, but I’d be happy to have him 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

This is not even fun to attempt to follow anymore.   I just want college basketball, not a freaking merry-go-round 

So long.

32 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

After what Bruce did with Bryce, our inability to recruit top SG’s has just baffled me.

I mean, he did get Alexander. He also got other good 2 guards, which made that 2 guard wanna leave. Powell was a low 4 star. Flanagan was a 2 guard depending on where you look at, and to the chagrin of much of this board, will probably get first look at 2 guard in the NBA. Had Jalen Green committed until the GLeague came calling 

we’re fine there, just some instances of misfortune 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Thanks 1

Teams with older, more mature, more experienced players- may be even more the case with guards - are advancing further toward championships.  With top talents (Jabari) being one-and-domes the time to win is next year.  Not a time to be training a bunch of freshmen.  Hopefully, Scoot will be that freshman guard next season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

After what Bruce did with Bryce, our inability to recruit top SG’s has just baffled me.

We are getting these guys. Powell and Alexander signed with us. This is just the new normal in college basketball......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

OP updated. Trey Alexander decommits from Auburn.

IDK what to call it but it is not decommitting when he actually signed with us several months ago. I hate the national media is treating it as such.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

We are on terrible stretch of bad luck with SG’s. We’ve lost Jalen Green, Justin Powell, & Trey Alexander in the last year.

At least this one was a self inflicted wound. Those other two are still baffling to think about 

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

At least this one was a self inflicted wound. Those other two are still baffling to think about 

Jalen Green was headed to Memphis, not Auburn. He stated so himself. Penny snatched him from us. It was good to be in his top two but he wasn't coming here.

Edited by AuburnMike86

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

How was this a self inflicted wound? He signed here when powell was on a tear who plays the same position as him. We took 2 transfer PG's that has nothing to do with his position and avenue to playing time and a veteran  SEC SG. That shouldn't of deterred him. Something is up and fishy just like the Powell and Davion's transfer. You don't just randomly out of the blue several months later after signing with us decide you want to go elsewhere. This reeks of a scott drew tampering situation from another coaching staff.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AuburnMike86 said:

Jalen Green was headed to Memphis, not Auburn. He stated so himself. Penny snatched him from us. It was good to be in his top two but he wasn't coming here.

And in a more recent interview he said Auburn. He has changed his story a couple of time's. Who knows what the truth is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

And in a more recent interview he said Auburn. He has changed his story a couple of time's. Who knows what the truth is.

Sure I guess. The one I posted was were his head was at the time he chose the G-League. Which is why I selected it. At the time of his commitment what did he say. Not well after. 

I would have loved to land him, but he was never going to college anyway. He knew he was going G-League. We didn't lose him as some are suggesting.

At some point, everyone will calm down and balance out, but the complaining in here has gotten ridiculous. 

Bruce Pearl led us to the Final Four. He's putting some of the best teams we've ever had on the floor. Our recruiting is doing great.

At some point you trust his decisions and support him, the program, and the players who decide to wear the jersey. People are getting too caught up in HS recruiting rankings, transfers, etc..

Just see how it plays out and support the team.

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

IDK what to call it but it is not decommitting when he actually signed with us several months ago. I hate the national media is treating it as such.

I agree.

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Quitting?

4 hours ago, AuburnMike86 said:

That’s not true - he recently said that he was coming to Auburn if he hadn’t not chosen the G-League.

2 hours ago, AuburnMike86 said:

Sure I guess. The one I posted was were his head was at the time he chose the G-League. Which is why I selected it. At the time of his commitment what did he say. Not well after. 

I would have loved to land him, but he was never going to college anyway. He knew he was going G-League. We didn't lose him as some are suggesting.

At some point, everyone will calm down and balance out, but the complaining in here has gotten ridiculous. 

Bruce Pearl led us to the Final Four. He's putting some of the best teams we've ever had on the floor. Our recruiting is doing great.

At some point you trust his decisions and support him, the program, and the players who decide to wear the jersey. People are getting too caught up in HS recruiting rankings, transfers, etc..

Just see how it plays out and support the team.

Your logic doesn't mean it's right. The bottom line is he was conflicted and probably was 50/50 just by his inconsistent versions of which school. 

Your comments seem to try to highlight problems with Pearl's luck w how some of the recruits have changed their minds or left. I don't think anyone on here is putting this on Pearl. We all support him and love how he is getting top level players to sign w/ Auburn. 

Don't take someone's quick frustration in commenting here w some of the player's decisions or reevaluation, as a statement or problem w/ Pearl and the program. Everyone supports the team.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

How was this a self inflicted wound? He signed here when powell was on a tear who plays the same position as him. We took 2 transfer PG's that has nothing to do with his position and avenue to playing time and a veteran  SEC SG. That shouldn't of deterred him. Something is up and fishy just like the Powell and Davion's transfer. You don't just randomly out of the blue several months later after signing with us decide you want to go elsewhere. This reeks of a scott drew tampering situation from another coaching staff.

They signed a point guard that will play heavy minutes at the 2, another 2 guard, have a guy who typically plays 2 guard already on the roster and the potential of Scoot Henderson also signing. It reeks of Bruce flying too close to the sun lol 

The way I understood it was Sills wanted to come to Auburn for a while but we were not ready to take him.  I believe Alexander let Pearl know he wanted out so he took Sills as Insurance. He could have forced Alexander to either play or sit out a year but that is not how Pearl treats people. If the young man had second thoughts Pearl wasn't going to stand in his way. It is the same thing Pearl does if a player is thinking about the NBA.  I believe it is because Pearl has shown he wants what is best for the player even if it means losing a player sometimes that Pearl is able to get players like Okeke, Okoro, Smith, Thor, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I am excited about the current 11 man roster AU has. I think it can be a really good team that can go far in the tourney. Moore looked really good late last season when he played some 3 so that allows either Cambridge or Flan to move over to the two for a few mins each game or when needed The 4 spot is loaded with JW and JS (and Moore when fouls creep up.) The 5 is now also loaded with Kessler & Cardw (and Stretch there when fouls creep up). If coach can't find another good guard I think he could use a spot to get a diamond in the rough type to redshirt and develop. I really like that we now have 3 QUICK, defensive minded guards to lock down the perimeter and force bad shots, who can also shoot and drive at the 1&2 spots. giphy.gif

Edited by johnjacob
Added visual
  • Like 2