2021 3* WR Tar'varish Dawson Signs with AU! (2/3)

ellitor

24 offers including AU, Louisville, Miami, Minnesota, SCar, Kentucky, & NC St.
Keith Crystal Balled him to AU today
Recruited as an ATH, AU likes him on both sides of the ball
Very fast, ran a 10.58/100 meters in February.
High 3*, small bump by any site makes him a composite 4*

Think I might prefer him ar DB. Love how he looks back for the ball, and he can stick with the receiver well. I know its not fair but he reminds me of LSU's Honey Badger a little.

Edited by JFDTiger80
spelling issue

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Very fast, ran a 10.58/100 meters in February.

For reference, Schwartz set the youth world record with a 10.15. Worm ran a 10.29. 

10.58 is probably a top-10 type time nationally among high school juniors. 

12 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Think I might prefer him ar DB. Love how he looks back for the ball, and he can stick with the receiver well. I know its not fair but he reminds me of LSU's Honey Badger a little.

5’10” DBs let Kelvin Benjamin’s jump over you for a Natty 😢 

Don’t know why but usually when I see a guy who’s listed as an athlete, more times than not I want them on defense 

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

10.58 is probably a top-10 type time nationally among high school juniors. 

I could be wrong but is 10.58 a good time for February, especially if it was outside in cooler weather? Also I though Worm's best time was 10.8?

Just now, Sizzle said:

Don’t know why but usually when I see a guy who’s listed as an athlete, more times than not I want them on defense 

Because it seems that's where they end up being the best.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I could be wrong but is 10.58 a good time for February, especially if it was outside in cooler weather? Also I though Worm's best time was 10.8?

I pulled the 10.29 on Worm from his bio on the Auburn website. Maybe that was indoor?

I have no idea on the other question, I'm afraid. I am out of my depth when it comes to track times. I just have a few things that I think I know, and one of them is that 100m under 11 seconds is pretty fast, lol.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

5’10” DBs let Kelvin Benjamin’s jump over you for a Natty 😢 

Funny, but I don't believe it hurt The Honey Badger. Quality has a say too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Because it seems that's where they end up being the best.

Yeah for the most part but I remember Seth Williams coming out of HS and I was like “damn I hope he plays safety for us” lol. But in all fairness he’d probably be good at that position too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Yeah for the most part but I remember Seth Williams coming out of HS and I was like “damn I hope he plays safety for us” lol. But in all fairness he’d probably be good at that position too

I just thought of another offensive athlete. Kerryon Johnson. We wanted and took him as a running back. A lot of schools were recruiting him as a safety.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I just thought of another offensive athlete. Kerryon Johnson. We wanted and took him as a running back. A lot of schools were recruiting him as a safety.

I remember that. He didn’t even play RB in the AL/MISS all star game. He played defense 

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 3* ATH Tar'varish DawsonCommits to AU!
  • ellitor pinned and featured this topic

Impact Analysis: The Tar'varish Dawson commitment

By Keith Niebuhr

A quick analysis of Auburn’s newest commitment.

Who: Athlete Tar'varish Dawson.

WHEN: Dawson publicly committed to the Tigers on Friday via social media. He chose Auburn over Miami, Louisville, South Carolina and others. 

What: Dawson is ranked as the No. 21 athlete nationally and No. 39 athlete in the state of Florida for 247Sports.. That makes him a 4-star with 247Sports. In the industry generated 247Sports Composite, he's a 3-star and the No. 28 athlete in the country.

His 247Sports rating: 90.

His 247Sports Composite rating: 88.84.

Dawson is listed at 5-feet-10, 175 pounds.

He is 2021 commitment No. 5 for the Tigers. With his pledge, Auburn now is No. 46 in the 247Sports recruiting team rankings (up from No. 50).

Where: Dawson plays at Lehigh Senior High in Lehigh Acres, Fla.

Distance from Auburn: 568 miles (approx.).

Why it’s important: No. 1. Momentum. Auburn was sitting on four commitments and had the No. 50 class ranking when Friday began. The last Tigers commitment was nearly a month ago. With other programs -- see Tennessee -- picking up verbals, Auburn fans were wondering when the ball would get rolling for the Tigers. Well, now it has and we project more dominos will fall sooner rather than later.

No. 2. Speed. In Dawson, you're talking about one of the fastest recruits in the country. His top recorded 100-meters time of 10.58 seconds should get Auburn faithful excited.

No. 3 versatility. Dawson would like a shot at playing both sides of the ball. That this is even in the realm of possibility tells you what kind of athlete he is. In 2019, he averaged 15.4 yards per catch -- and recorded three interceptions. He does a little bit of everything for his team. Last season, he lined up at cornerback, safety, wide receiver, running back and even quarterback. Where will Dawson ultimately end up? We might not know until long after he arrives at Auburn.

No. 4. Florida, Florida, Florida. Of Auburn's five 2021 commitments, two are from the Sunshine State. It's a state in which the Tigers absolutely must recruit well. And once again, they are doing just that. New offensive coordinator Chad Morris is Dawson's area recruiter. Back in his days at Clemson, Morris cut his teeth recruiting in Florida. He knows the lay of the land there well.

247Sports' Andrew Ivins says ....

On the smaller side, but body is still growing and filling out. Lightening fast not only on the track with a 10.58 in the 100-meter dash, but also on the football field. Being recruited by some schools to play cornerback at the next level and others to catch passes as a wide receiver. Can flip his hips and spring in any direction. Solid ball skills. Dangerous in the return game. Will need to get more physical in college. Also needs to improve open-field tackling if he’s going to be a defensive guy. Just an overall speedy playmaker that should be able to make an impact somewhere for a Power 5 program once he settles on a position. NFL potential given how he moves.

Keith Niebuhr's film review .... 

Dawson's speed absolutely is the first thing that stands out. As is the case with the true speedsters of the game, he's a fluid runner who can quickly take it to another gear to close on a defender ... or escape from one. Because he plays both receiver and defensive back, he's a true ball hawk in the secondary with good hands. As a defensive back, that speed allows him to play press coverage because even if the first move shakes him he can quickly recover. He covers a ton of ground in the secondary. At receiver, he's capable of taking short passes and going the distance. With his straight-line track speed, he's a dangerous return man on kickoffs. However, Dawson does, it should be noted, have some waggle, too. In other words, he possesses some one-cut ability in the open field. 

Final thoughts ...

Even though it had only been four weeks since Auburn landed its last commitment, it felt like an eternity. For the Tigers, the Dawson commitment is likely to start a nice run this month. He's an exciting playmaker who will get a look on both sides of the ball. Once he finds a final landing spot and can devote most of his time to that positions, that's when he'll truly be able to reach his ceiling. Auburn loves speed -- and Dawson certainly gives the Tigers a healthy dose of that. But he also has the competitiveness the Auburn staff tends to love. In that regard, he reminds you somewhat of Noah Igbinoghene, the former Auburn cornerback who just got selected in the first round of the NFL Draft. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Says he struggles with open field tackling but McGriff will get that sorted out. 

Assuming he plays on D but I wouldn't bet on that right now. He definitely looks the mold of a Ryan Davis Type slot WR which we are planning to take 1 of in the class.

Needs the ball in his hands. Coach Morris will have a lot of weapons at his disposal.  Also, you can tell he is a track athlete possibly converted to football. He has that sprinter stride and arm pump with a football in his hand.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love, love getting speedy kids from Florida. They tend to become multi year starters and great contributors at Auburn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Dawson is ranked as the No. 21 athlete nationally and No. 39 athlete in the state of Florida

How can you be #21 athlete NATIONALLY and #39 only in state of FL?

• Thanks 1