Null



Sign in to follow this  
TigerCatcher

MLB Draft 2020

Recommended Posts

What a disaster. 

I'll confess that I am growing less patient with all that is Major League Baseball.  I guess I just don't understand how limiting this year's draft to five rounds benefits anybody in baseball.  What do the guys who had all intentions of moving on, but didin't get drafted, and are now forced into signing as undrafted free agents at $20,000 do now?  Additionally, what do the college programs do with the guys who had every intention of moving on and would now be better off by coming back do?  Only MLB benefits fro this s*** show by cheapening the value of every kid whose name didn't get called last night or tonight.  

One last parting shot,  my thanks to ESPN for reminding me how much I loathe that network.  The only upside to the lockdown of the last 60 days is that I haven't even thought of watching the garbage broadcast on that network 24/7.  Does Karl Ravech really think that beaver pelt on his head looks real?  Chris Burke is a complete fool, and Eddie Perez has no idea what he's doing.  God, I hate that network.  That's all.

Congratulations to Bailey Horne who was the only other AU player taken, at pick number 142 by the White Sox.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




So according to Keith Law, he thinks that MLB teams won't even sign that many undrafted free agents because there's no where to play in the minors for the 2020 season... so tbh I don't think that many players can sign for 20K undrafted even if they want to. A lot of teams will see a bunch of transfers in the upcoming few months, and I think that will include Auburn. For example, I'm sure Josh Hall thought at least one of Howell, Ward or Williams would have been drafted and left for pro ball when he came in the spring, but now there's not a place for him since none of them gone drafted. And Nate LaRue thought he would have been the starting catcher next year but Scheffler may come back which would complicate things. Depending on what happens to Woley, Davis and Scheffler, if they all return, none of the offense will have left and the freshman this year like Greer, Ceccoli, Dyal, LaRue and Brown will be stuck on the bench again.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

So according to Keith Law, he thinks that MLB teams won't even sign that many undrafted free agents because there's no where to play in the minors for the 2020 season... so tbh I don't think that many players can sign for 20K undrafted even if they want to. A lot of teams will see a bunch of transfers in the upcoming few months, and I think that will include Auburn. For example, I'm sure Josh Hall thought at least one of Howell, Ward or Williams would have been drafted and left for pro ball when he came in the spring, but now there's not a place for him since none of them gone drafted. And Nate LaRue thought he would have been the starting catcher next year but Scheffler may come back which would complicate things. Depending on what happens to Woley, Davis and Scheffler, if they all return, none of the offense will have left and the freshman this year like Greer, Ceccoli, Dyal, LaRue and Brown will be stuck on the bench again.

I knew it was going to be a mess. Thanks for spelling it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 10:41 PM, warbiscuit said:

So according to Keith Law, he thinks that MLB teams won't even sign that many undrafted free agents because there's no where to play in the minors for the 2020 season... so tbh I don't think that many players can sign for 20K undrafted even if they want to. A lot of teams will see a bunch of transfers in the upcoming few months, and I think that will include Auburn. For example, I'm sure Josh Hall thought at least one of Howell, Ward or Williams would have been drafted and left for pro ball when he came in the spring, but now there's not a place for him since none of them gone drafted. And Nate LaRue thought he would have been the starting catcher next year but Scheffler may come back which would complicate things. Depending on what happens to Woley, Davis and Scheffler, if they all return, none of the offense will have left and the freshman this year like Greer, Ceccoli, Dyal, LaRue and Brown will be stuck on the bench again.

Yep we might, but we’ve got a bunch of options. I do hate it for the players though. Don’t envy the position they’re in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 11:38 PM, Mikey said:

I knew it was going to be a mess. Thanks for spelling it out!

At least Auburn has Butch Thompson and his staff to work through these difficult times. Butch will try to be as fair as possible to every kid involved. I can't imagine how tough it will be for all of the coaches and players though. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

At least Auburn has Butch Thompson and his staff to work through these difficult times. Butch will try to be as fair as possible to every kid involved. I can't imagine how tough it will be for all of the coaches and players though. 

Belle, you couldn't be more right.  Thanks for bringing this back into the proper perstpective.  I am pretty certain our guys have the best and most compasionate leadership watching out for their best interest.  I too am thankful that Butch is a great coach and an even better human being.  We are indeed in good hands with the baseball program.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this