Goya..

SaturdayGT

So who's boycotting?....Seriously though, I'm curious to what everyone thinks of this "cancel culture" stuff.....this really feels like a grade school, "talk to the hand" mentality to me. ...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s dumb as hell. I’m not boycotting it. Besides boycotting would just hurt the employees that work there that had nothing to do with what he said about Trump. 

You guys call it cancel culture.  I call it free expression and the marketplace.  People don't have to spend their money buying a certain product and can do so for whatever reason they so choose.  Freedom of speech goes both ways.  The CEO can say what he wants, but the consumer can also retort with their voices and/or money.

A weird example: when they had it at games, I refused to eat Dreamland BBQ at JHS or any other AU sporting venue because I'd prefer an Auburn based BBQ joint be represented.  Is that cancel culture or just someone making a statement with their wallet?

34 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You guys call it cancel culture.  I call it free expression and the marketplace.  People don't have to spend their money buying a certain product and can do so for whatever reason they so choose.  Freedom of speech goes both ways.  The CEO can say what he wants, but the consumer can also retort with their voices and/or money.

A weird example: when they had it at games, I refused to eat Dreamland BBQ at JHS or any other AU sporting venue because I'd prefer an Auburn based BBQ joint be represented.  Is that cancel culture or just someone making a statement with their wallet?

I think you are combining two different things into one. I completely agree with you that a boycott is free expression and the marketplace at work.

"Cancel culture" applies here because MANY people are encouraging a boycott because the CEO said, "We're all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump, who is a builder.

The guy was a guest at the White House and was invited as part of some initiatives that would help Hispanic Americans. He said something positive about the POTUS. Do you really think that such a statement warrants the backlash it has caused? What part of the statement do you think is offensive? Who is causing the further division in the country as a result of this statement?

42 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I think you are combining two different things into one. I completely agree with you that a boycott is free expression and the marketplace at work.

"Cancel culture" applies here because MANY people are encouraging a boycott because the CEO said, "We're all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump, who is a builder.

The guy was a guest at the White House and was invited as part of some initiatives that would help Hispanic Americans. He said something positive about the POTUS. Do you really think that such a statement warrants the backlash it has caused? What part of the statement do you think is offensive? Who is causing the further division in the country as a result of this statement?

Q1: I'm not part of the Latin community, so it's hard for me to say.  From an outsiders perspective though, POTUS has done a lot to hurt the Latin community over nearly four years with policy and comments targeted at them, so I can understand the backlash.  The guy said "We're all truly blessed" in regards to having Trump.  I'm betting a lot of his customers don't feel that way.

Q2: See the end of my answer above.  

Q3: How does choosing to buy a certain brand of beans or not create division?  Were black folks creating division in the 1950s when the boycotted the bus system in Montgomery, or were they simply showing their economic strength in effort to affect change?  I'm sorry, but this everyone must have unity line of thinking is hot garbage.  Civil discourse is a good thing, but I Americans have almost always been divided over one thing or another.  Our history shows that.

26 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Q1: I'm not part of the Latin community, so it's hard for me to say.  From an outsiders perspective though, POTUS has done a lot to hurt the Latin community over nearly four years with policy and comments targeted at them, so I can understand the backlash.  The guy said "We're all truly blessed" in regards to having Trump.  I'm betting a lot of his customers don't feel that way.

Q2: See the end of my answer above.  

Q3: How does choosing to buy a certain brand of beans or not create division?  Were black folks creating division in the 1950s when the boycotted the bus system in Montgomery, or were they simply showing their economic strength in effort to affect change?  I'm sorry, but this everyone must have unity line of thinking is hot garbage.  Civil discourse is a good thing, but I Americans have almost always been divided over one thing or another.  Our history shows that.

Thanks for your reply!

Are you saying that it is offensive for him to say "We're all truly blessed" because others don't feel that they are truly blessed? 

Regarding Q3-- It is not the choosing of beans that creates division. It is prominent people encouraging a boycott against a company because the CEO said "We're all truly blessed" that creates division.

Overall, though, I agree with you. The market and free expression will handle this quite easily. Hopefully Goya will withstand the hate from the left like Chick-Fil-A did.

5 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Thanks for your reply!

Are you saying that it is offensive for him to say "We're all truly blessed" because others don't feel that they are truly blessed? 

Regarding Q3-- It is not the choosing of beans that creates division. It is prominent people encouraging a boycott against a company because the CEO said "We're all truly blessed" that creates division.

Overall, though, I agree with you. The market and free expression will handle this quite easily. Hopefully Goya will withstand the hate from the left like Chick-Fil-A did.

Why do you believe these people take it as offensive?  Maybe they don't want to support a company where the CEO praises a man who has actively belittled the Latin community and put policies in place to make things tougher on them.  That's their issue with it and I think it's fine for them to call it out.

I'm sorry, but folks on the right love to talk about free speech when it comes to most things, but say something they don't like or in a manner they don't agree with and all of a sudden these people are "creating division".  That's BS.  You don't get it both ways.

You and I are not part of the Latin community, so we haven't felt the effects of Trump's policies or rhetoric.  I've never had someone in a MAGA hat tell me to "go back to Mexico", but I've seen plenty of videos where folks have been targets of that.  So honestly, I feel like you and I don't get to tell the Latin community how to feel about this.

42 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why do you believe these people take it as offensive?  Maybe they don't want to support a company where the CEO praises a man who has actively belittled the Latin community and put policies in place to make things tougher on them.  That's their issue with it and I think it's fine for them to call it out.

I'm sorry, but folks on the right love to talk about free speech when it comes to most things, but say something they don't like or in a manner they don't agree with and all of a sudden these people are "creating division".  That's BS.  You don't get it both ways.

You and I are not part of the Latin community, so we haven't felt the effects of Trump's policies or rhetoric.  I've never had someone in a MAGA hat tell me to "go back to Mexico", but I've seen plenty of videos where folks have been targets of that.  So honestly, I feel like you and I don't get to tell the Latin community how to feel about this.

"So honestly, I feel like you and I don't get to tell the Latin community how to feel about this."

I was not aware that either one of us told the Latin community how to feel about anything. I like Goya frijoles, so I am entitled to have an opinion.

You have the choice and freedom to do as you wish, even if the act of "defiance" is a bit childish. 

If you like the product, but the product. If you don't, don't. Making those decisions soley due to the political bias of the CEO is petty.

Same thing with Nike, Chik-fil-A, etc...

26 minutes ago, Grumps said:

"So honestly, I feel like you and I don't get to tell the Latin community how to feel about this."

I was not aware that either one of us told the Latin community how to feel about anything. I like Goya frijoles, so I am entitled to have an opinion.

The outcry is largely coming from the Latin community.  They are, by far, the largest consumers of Goya.  You can have an opinion just like I can, but I'm not part of the community that's been attacked by this President.  My voice matters far less in this matter.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/chrissy-teigen-more-celebs-join-190000205.html

Chrissy Teigen and More Celebs Join Goya Boycott After CEO Praises Donald Trump

ccd6ace578233ecc24b68eafb5156090
Emily Tannenbaum

Chrissy Teigen is the latest to join the Goya boycott after its CEO praised President Trump.

On July 9, Goya Foods CEO Robert Unanue gave a speech at the White House to announce plans to donate one million pounds of food to food banks across the U.S. in honor of Trump signing the Hispanic Prosperity Initiative executive order. However, he faced swift backlash for saying “we're all truly blessed to have a leader like President Trump.”

Video of the speech quickly made the rounds on social media, with many consumers upset that “America's largest Hispanic-owned food company” would support a president who has called Mexicans rapists, puts immigrant children in cages, and continues to attempt to dismantle DACA

“We're all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump who is a builder," Unanue said. “And so we have an incredible builder. And we pray. We pray for our leadership, our president, and we pray for our country, that we will continue to prosper and to grow.”

The latest to join the #BoycottGaya movement? Cravings author Chrissy Teigen and more celebrities. “FUUUUUUUCK,” Teigen tweeted on July 10. “A shame. Don’t care how good the beans taste though. Bye bye.”

“The next step republicans will do (mark my words, they did this with my equinox tweets as well) is say you aren’t supporting the workers if you boycott," Teigen continued. “You ARE. They should never feel they have to work for someone who agrees Mexicans are ‘vile’ ‘rapists’ - **** this guy. Support the workers by empowering them to be stronger than this absolute bastard. I will personally do what I can to financially ensure these farms can carry on without them.”

In another reply, Teigen added, “You think they're going under? I see a new Karen every day spouting off in a Trader Joe's who will gleefully buy the beans. Don't worry about ******* GOYA.”

What I appreciated is that Unanue stood by his remarks and didn't feel obligated to apologize or give in to the boycott crowd, because nothing he said warrants an apology. Takes some courage of conviction to do that in today's environment.

Now I need to try some of their cookies...

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

Thanks for your reply!

And Nike from the right.

I wonder how political boycotts of companies like this actually work out?...My hunch is, 1) if they love Goya products, they will be back once they get over the Trump comments. ..2) there's alot of Trump supporters who never tried Goya, which now is the brand of choice for them....this to will pass once they decide they dont think it's as good as other brands......overall, I bet it winds up being a net gain for Goya.

We use some Goya items along, but normally not much. They make good stuff. I made a run to the hardware store yesterday afternoon. Hadn't intended to go to the grocery but after the boycott talk I did go in and get five Goya products. Sadly, their yellow rice and ham bullion, two really great products were already sold out or I would have bought more. I did score the last can of Frijoles Negros in the store. Apparently others had already been buying GOYA, their shelves were getting more than a little bare. I expect this to backfire just as the Chick-fil-A boycott did. #buycottgoya

I don’t know if I ( the wife) buys this or not. I didn’t hear enough to make me give a damn either way. 

Curious as to the Latino perspective regarding Goya, the call to boycott, and President Trump himself, I briefly researched. 22 people groups that comprise Hispanic culture in the USA are very diverse as is each individual per group. Some love what President Trump has done since election, especially where the economy or religious freedom is concerned. Many Catholic Hispanics applaud his conservative stance on abortion. He has said ridiculous things that could understandably offend, which many choose to overlook.  As well, many Hispanics can't stand the policies or the person. Very diverse...just like us. No one-size fits all.

I have a super passion for the Hispanic culture and can't wait for an ESL teaching position to open up. I think Goya is muy sabrosa tambien. 🌶🇲🇽🇵🇷🦋

On 7/12/2020 at 12:14 PM, Grumps said:

Thanks for your reply!

My best friend owns independent grocery stores in Georgia. He told me grocery stores in his region (NE Georgia) have been put on allocation for Goya products because of increased demand.  

2 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

My best friend owns independent grocery stores in Georgia. He told me grocery stores in his region (NE Georgia) have been put on allocation for Goya products because of increased demand.  

Seldom have I ever let the words of a person associated with a company deter or encourage me to buy a product. Unless they were speaking about the product. 

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

Seldom have I ever let the words of a person associated with a company deter or encourage me to buy a product. Unless they were speaking about the product. 

I will absolutely change my buying behavior to support or cease to support an organization based on how I feel about the product or the way the company is run. I am more likely to buy Goya products because I think they have been targeted for an incredibly silly reason.

2 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

We’ll see how long that lasts. 

Archived