Photo from the first day of school in Paulding County, GA. What are your thoughts?

aubiefifty

5 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

You are the one spreading bull. In areas like ours with the number of cases here  the CDC tells us children are overall worse off if they are not in school. The foremost authority on the welfare of children, The American Pediatrics Academy, also agrees. So does the Georgia Dept. of Public Health. Our students are at virtually zero risk by coming to school. They  are at more risk Overall if they stay home. Those families who happen to have a high risk situation at home can get their schooling online. You are a very arrogant person if you think you know more that the families who live in this community. You are also heartless since you are clearly advocating for our youth to be at higher risk here. In case you didn’t notice Cuomo is opening schools in NY now too. There are places where it is not time to open schools because of the current number of cases in the community.......but that is not here. Here we go with the science and the data. You can take your feelings and your bull and flush it because it is irrational and complete blinded by your hate of Trump. If things change here and we get to the threshold the medical community tells us not to cross, then we would go all online. We are ALWAYS going to do what is best for our students per those in the medical community.

The biggest problem I have with your attitude is you are attempting to push it on everyone. If you had a child in our system you could have them take their classes online without any problem. We even provide you with a chromebook, all school supplies, and internet access if you don’t have it. But no.....that is not good enough for people like you. You think you should be able to tell other taxpayers how their children should get their schooling because you think you know better than 79% of our families and more than the CDC and more than the Georgia Dept. of Health. It is extremely arrogant of you. Shame on you. 

i do not try to force my attitude on anyone.i am blunt and to the point. this is a political board and you happen to be in smack talk. my concern is the kids. we have some schools opened a day or two ago in alabama and i do not like it.but folks here admit it is very high risk and they are worried. nothing the government has said has slowed down the deaths and they have handled it badly. and people with just part of a brain cell admit trump let us down on covid plain and simple. a lot of parents i know are not comfy with it but they cannot stay home or they will lose what they do have.amyway..............i'm sorry..........have a box of tissue..............lol

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

As an educator, I’m ready to get back in the classroom. I love my kids and I miss them terribly.  But I’m concerned. Children can spread COVID. They can contract COVID an become sick. I’m currently caring for my parents so I’m living with them temporarily until my mom heals from a broken shoulder and imminent surgery. My parents are 76 and 80. Several of my coworkers have health issues. One survived cancer, one has asthma, one is elderly, one has numerous health issues. My school has already lost five students who died from sudep, car accidents and suicide. I don’t want to lose another person. 

If you were a teacher in our system you would not be required to teach in a classroom. You could teach from home. 

The Paulding County high school that became infamous for hallways crowded with unmasked students will retreat online for at least a couple days this week after revealing that a half-dozen students and three staffers were diagnosed with COVID-19.

The district said it needs time to disinfect the North Paulding High School building and look for other potentially infected individuals...

https://www.ajc.com/education/9-cases-of-covid-19-reported-at-north-paulding-high-school/OWH6MN7DZ5A2XDQMXX337AQEWI/?fbclid=IwAR193Vrk1krPQfBc_hcNty4U2wSEv4mkb7WtvKeZDu9INBq-wskVMqcmUSM

Who could have predicted? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 8/8/2020 at 9:43 PM, SocialCircle said:

If you were a teacher in our system you would not be required to teach in a classroom. You could teach from home. 

Well clearly I’m not in your system. That option isn’t available in the program in which I teach. 

I have no choice but to return. 

29 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Well clearly I’m not in your system. That option isn’t available in the program in which I teach. 

Thinking about your folks and your whole family as you help them in the healing process. Godspeed to all.

38 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Prayers lifted for your situation.

9:57 a.m.

Georgia teen who shared viral images of packed school hallway says she’s getting threats

The Georgia teenager who was briefly suspended over viral images of her packed high school hallway says other teens are making threats against her, as her school closes down for cleaning amid a coronavirus outbreak.

Hannah Watters told CNN’s Boris Sanchez Sunday night that she and people close to her have seen pictures of menacing messages in group chats. She listed examples: “I know where this girl lives,” “We’re going to jump every girl named Hannah in the tenth grade” and “Hannah is going to have a rough day at school on Monday.”

“I feel like a lot of teachers have my back because they know how dangerous it is going to school,” Watters told CNN, adding later, “I know I’m doing the right thing and it’s not going to stop me from continuing doing it.”

“But it is concerning,” she said, “especially since it’s a lot of the people I go to school with, people I’ve known for years now, that are threatening me.”

Watters was among at least two students suspended after sharing photos and video of their peers crowding indoors, many without masks. The posts propelled North Paulding High School into the national spotlight last week, highlighting the dangers of sending students back to classrooms — especially ones with uneven social distancing and mask-wearing.

Administrators reversed the suspensions on Friday after critics accused them of silencing concerned kids.

Six students and three staff members at the school in Dallas, Ga., have reported testing positive for the virus, Principal Gabe Carmona wrote in a letter sent to parents over the weekend. He said the infected people were in school “for at least some time” last week.

Superintendent Brian Otott later announced that the school will close Monday and Tuesday and revert to virtual learning while the building is cleaned.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/10/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_coronavirrus-luf%3Aprime-time%2Fpromo#link-GAE3UUL5D5BGFBMV2VTDJQZFJA

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:
9:57 a.m.

Georgia teen who shared viral images of packed school hallway says she’s getting threats

The Georgia teenager who was briefly suspended over viral images of her packed high school hallway says other teens are making threats against her, as her school closes down for cleaning amid a coronavirus outbreak.

Hannah Watters told CNN’s Boris Sanchez Sunday night that she and people close to her have seen pictures of menacing messages in group chats. She listed examples: “I know where this girl lives,” “We’re going to jump every girl named Hannah in the tenth grade” and “Hannah is going to have a rough day at school on Monday.”

“I feel like a lot of teachers have my back because they know how dangerous it is going to school,” Watters told CNN, adding later, “I know I’m doing the right thing and it’s not going to stop me from continuing doing it.”

“But it is concerning,” she said, “especially since it’s a lot of the people I go to school with, people I’ve known for years now, that are threatening me.”

Watters was among at least two students suspended after sharing photos and video of their peers crowding indoors, many without masks. The posts propelled North Paulding High School into the national spotlight last week, highlighting the dangers of sending students back to classrooms — especially ones with uneven social distancing and mask-wearing.

Administrators reversed the suspensions on Friday after critics accused them of silencing concerned kids.

Six students and three staff members at the school in Dallas, Ga., have reported testing positive for the virus, Principal Gabe Carmona wrote in a letter sent to parents over the weekend. He said the infected people were in school “for at least some time” last week.

Superintendent Brian Otott later announced that the school will close Monday and Tuesday and revert to virtual learning while the building is cleaned.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/10/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_coronavirrus-luf%3Aprime-time%2Fpromo#link-GAE3UUL5D5BGFBMV2VTDJQZFJA

TF? Why would other students threaten her over this? 

High school. Man. 

On 8/8/2020 at 3:40 PM, SocialCircle said:

You are the one spreading bull. In areas like ours with the number of cases here  the CDC tells us children are overall worse off if they are not in school. The foremost authority on the welfare of children, The American Pediatrics Academy, also agrees. So does the Georgia Dept. of Public Health. Our students are at virtually zero risk by coming to school. They  are at more risk Overall if they stay home. Those families who happen to have a high risk situation at home can get their schooling online. You are a very arrogant person if you think you know more that the families who live in this community. You are also heartless since you are clearly advocating for our youth to be at higher risk here. In case you didn’t notice Cuomo is opening schools in NY now too. There are places where it is not time to open schools because of the current number of cases in the community.......but that is not here. Here we go with the science and the data. You can take your feelings and your bull and flush it because it is irrational and complete blinded by your hate of Trump. If things change here and we get to the threshold the medical community tells us not to cross, then we would go all online. We are ALWAYS going to do what is best for our students per those in the medical community.

The biggest problem I have with your attitude is you are attempting to push it on everyone. If you had a child in our system you could have them take their classes online without any problem. We even provide you with a chromebook, all school supplies, and internet access if you don’t have it. But no.....that is not good enough for people like you. You think you should be able to tell other taxpayers how their children should get their schooling because you think you know better than 79% of our families and more than the CDC and more than the Georgia Dept. of Health. It is extremely arrogant of you. Shame on you. 

let me explain this in one sentence mr blowhard. only a FOOL would make kids attend or even allow kids back to school and not make them wear a mask.

‘It was chaos!’ Students get suspended for posting pictures of packed halls — now the high school is closing after 9 people were infected

Shawn Langlois

The Margin

MW-IM112_hannah_20200809174936_ZQ.jpg?uu

Hannah Watters

Last week, pictures of maskless students crowding the hall of Georgia’s freshly reopened North Paulding High School went viral and raised questions all over the internet as to whether getting kids back to school while coronavirus cases are still on the rise is a good idea.

These are the kinds of tweets that were being shared:

Two students involved with posting the images were suspended, including Hannah Watters, who said: “There was no social distancing, a 10% mask use rate, it was chaos!”

After a national outcry, the district reversed course and the kids were allowed to return.

Watters raised her concerns after the district called mask-wearing a “personal choice” and acknowledged that social distancing “will not be possible to enforce” in most cases.

One school nurse in the district resigned over concerns about virus safety.

“I don’t feel supported. I don’t feel safe,” Amy Westmoreland told local news, adding that she made the decision even before the photos circulated. “I feel as though I need to take a stand so that these children who don’t have a voice and are being discouraged from speaking have a voice.”

Meanwhile, it turns out nine people at that school have already been infected. In a letter sent to parents Saturday and cited by ABC News, principal Gabe Carmona explained that six students and three staff members have since tested positive for the virus.

“We have anticipated that COVID-19 would impact us as it has nearly every community, and the district has worked in partnership with the Department of Public Health (DPH) to proactively implement safety precautions and response plans,” the letter reads.

The school announced Sunday it will be closed for in-person classes on Monday and Tuesday.

The tally of confirmed coronavirus cases in Paulding County, as of Saturday afternoon, reached 1,651, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health. There have been a total of 22 deaths and 123 hospitalizations in the area due to the virus since the pandemic started.

Well my kids started school Friday. Their choice. They went today. We just got a call from the nurse. A kid with symptoms was exposed to my son Friday. The kid was tested today. My son must stay home until the results come back negative. The weirdness is my daughter, who has been around my son every day doesn’t have to go in quarantine because she was not directly exposed. We will be shut down in less than two weeks. I still think we need to push on through it. 

On 8/8/2020 at 10:31 PM, aubiefifty said:

i do not try to force my attitude on anyone.i am blunt and to the point. this is a political board and you happen to be in smack talk. my concern is the kids. we have some schools opened a day or two ago in alabama and i do not like it.but folks here admit it is very high risk and they are worried. nothing the government has said has slowed down the deaths and they have handled it badly. and people with just part of a brain cell admit trump let us down on covid plain and simple. a lot of parents i know are not comfy with it but they cannot stay home or they will lose what they do have.amyway..............i'm sorry..........have a box of tissue..............lol

This is one of the best days ever during my tenure on the school board. It was our first day for students. I’ve received more messages today than ever before. So far 100% of texts and messages and emails are thanking us for having such a great plan and for giving our community the option of going to school if they so choose. They all say what a wonderful day their students experienced today. All teachers and staff who have contacted  me have said the same thing. I pray the number of cases in our area stays low enough so that we can continue to provide our community the choice of attending our schools. Today could not have gone better! 

12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Because they probably have a**hole parents influencing them. 

Sh*t, I WISH I had influence like that over my high schoolers.  And I'm a huge a*hole, lol.

19 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

let me explain this in one sentence mr blowhard. only a FOOL would make kids attend or even allow kids back to school and not make them wear a mask.

Wearing a mask is more risky for some children. One of our parents has 2 daughters in our school system. One of them is being treated by the Mayo Clinic. She told me they sent our plan to the Mayo Clinic and the Mayo Clinic loved our plan. Based on their input she is sending one daughter to school and her daughter with autoimmune deficiency is going to take the online option. We had a wonderful first day of school. People here love the plan and understand the risks and are very happy to have the opportunity to make the best choice for their situation as each situation is different. 

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

Wearing a mask is more risky for some children. One of our parents has 2 daughters in our school system. One of them is being treated by the Mayo Clinic. She told me they sent our plan to the Mayo Clinic and the Mayo Clinic loved our plan. Based on their input she is sending one daughter to school and her daughter with autoimmune deficiency is going to take the online option. We had a wonderful first day of school. People here love the plan and understand the risks and are very happy to have the opportunity to make the best choice for their situation as each situation is different. 

any group of people that let folks go to school without requiring masks are stupid and reckless with other peoples lives. why you keep posting the same ol thing over and over is beyond me. the only folks that seem to agree with you on this board are trumpers anf because of their vote abd they do not care what he does is disqualified to talk. now you can squawk the same ol talking points you want but it is tiresome and does not further your cause.

also cj the pic i posted was of upper class folks not wearing a mask.did you see any toddlers in that pic? focus and quit deflecting.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

also cj the pic i posted was of upper class folks not wearing a mask.did you see any toddlers in that pic? focus and quit deflecting.

Upper class folks are also strongly encouraged, but not required to wear a mask because wearing a mask is also potential riskier for those with some medical conditions.  I do agree in that I wish more in those specific picture had elected to wear a mask.  It is likely that system didn't stress it enough. 

8 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Upper class folks are also strongly encouraged, but not required to wear a mask because wearing a mask is also potential riskier for those with some medical conditions.  I do agree in that I wish more in those specific picture had elected to wear a mask.  It is likely that system didn't stress it enough. 

before you said you had all the confidence in the world in your state experts and now it seems you are backing off of that. until they make masks mandatory people are going to get sick. now they say covid is causing the swelling of heart muscles and all that goes with it. that is why the bigs are considering not playing ball at all this season. i posted a twitter statement on that.

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

before you said you had all the confidence in the world in your state experts and now it seems you are backing off of that. until they make masks mandatory people are going to get sick. now they say covid is causing the swelling of heart muscles and all that goes with it. that is why the bigs are considering not playing ball at all this season. i posted a twitter statement on that.

I am very confident in the guidance we continue to receive from medical experts.  I'm not backing off of anything.  Each school system takes that guidance and creates their plan.  I can only speak for our plan.  A parent told me they had the Mayo Clinic review our plan because one of their daughters is being treated by them for an autoimmune system issue.  Their other daughter doesn't have that issue. The Mayo Clinic told them it is a great plan and based on that conversation the daughter without the issues is coming to school and their other daughter is taking advantage of the online schooling option. So  you have your opinion and we have the Mayo Clinic endorsing our plan.    

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Here is interesting mask info that I just saw and read today.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/neck-gaiters-may-actually-increase-covid-19-transmission-study-finds-183034882.html

On 8/10/2020 at 7:11 AM, McLoofus said:

Thinking about your folks and your whole family as you help them in the healing process. Godspeed to all.

Thank you. Caring for two elderly parents has been a chore. It’s like having babies all over again. Lol. 
I appreciate your thoughts during this time. Thank you, thank you, thank you. 

Archived