Anyone here got COVID or know close family that do?

DKW 86

19 hours ago, homersapien said:

I've had several cousins and a nephew infected, all in the B'ham area.  

One of them exposed my 90 year-old mother and she is currently in "quarantine" -  or what passes for quarantine in her mind.   (She - along with my sisters - are Foxbot MAGAs and don't take it as seriously as I do. Thanks Fox!)

It will be a miracle if she remains uninfected before she gets vaccinated, especially the way the vaccination effort is rolling out.  :(

Hope all is well with your Mom

Need to watch the  non-serious “Foxbot MAGA” types.

Kudos to Trump Administration 

“Operation Warp Speed, the Trump administration’s effort to fast-track the development and rollout of vaccines, spent billions of dollars to help drug companies test and manufacture their vaccines and ensure that they would have a buyer. Those investments helped vaccines become available much faster than many experts had predicted.“

See the vaccine rolled out fast enough for Kamala to get hers

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Homer’s mom needs to live in Florida, they are giving vaccines to anybody over the age of 65 now.  A  red state that is doing it right.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Homer’s mom needs to live in Florida, they are giving vaccines to anybody over the age of 65 now.  A  red state that is doing it right.

Yep, I have lived in Florida and continue to have interest there. Watch a local panhandle news broadcast daily. Also looked at the county by county plan. Appears they have things under control.

Of course they are also able get mail in ballots counted and in on Election Day......go figure.

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Hope all is well with your Mom

Need to watch the  non-serious “Foxbot MAGA” types.

Kudos to Trump Administration 

“Operation Warp Speed, the Trump administration’s effort to fast-track the development and rollout of vaccines, spent billions of dollars to help drug companies test and manufacture their vaccines and ensure that they would have a buyer. Those investments helped vaccines become available much faster than many experts had predicted.“

Since you  bring it up, how is that rollout going?    I'll give you a hint:

Column: Unsurprisingly, Trump’s rollout of the COVID vaccine is an utter fiasco

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Since you  bring it up, how is that rollout going?    I'll give you a hint:

Column: Unsurprisingly, Trump’s rollout of the COVID vaccine is an utter fiasco

Lagging for a number of reasons. Perhaps an overly optimistic estimate. It will pick up. Just amazed we have a vaccine this soon.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/12/31/952208601/u-s-likely-will-miss-goal-of-vaccinating-20-million-by-the-new-year

On 1/1/2021 at 2:26 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Lagging for a number of reasons. Perhaps an overly optimistic estimate. It will pick up. Just amazed we have a vaccine this soon.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/12/31/952208601/u-s-likely-will-miss-goal-of-vaccinating-20-million-by-the-new-year

...."Yet many of the factors slowing the pace of vaccinations are obvious. They include inadequate planning and the administration’s refusal to take more of the task in hand. The latter reflects Trump’s approach to the pandemic from the start. Boiled down to its essence, that approach has been: “It’s not our problem.”

As recently as Tuesday, Trump was blaming any problems on state governments. “It is up to the States to distribute the vaccines once brought to the designated areas by the Federal Government,” he tweeted. “We have not only developed the vaccines, including putting up money to move the process along quickly, but gotten them to the states. Biden failed with Swine Flu!”

But experts say that leaving vaccine administration solely to the states is no answer at all. What was needed—and isn’t coming—is federal coordination.

There has been “no real planning on what happens when vaccines arrive in state,” Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, tweeted this week. “No plan, no money, just hope that states will figure this out.”

The state health departments likely to inherit the task of vaccine management are already hopelessly overstretched, Jha observed. All year long they’ve been grappling with the need to “manage all the testing, data analysis & reporting, providing advice to businesses, schools, doing public campaigns, etc. Non-stop.” Now they’ll have vaccination loaded on their plates...."

(op. cit)

My wife is in her fourth day of having it. She's a nurse at EAMC. Her sister (a nurse in Upstate S.C.) has it along with her husband, and now it appears my dad and mom may have it. They are in their 70's and my dad has a lot of pre-existing conditions (diabetes, immuno-compromised, etc.) and I had it a year ago. My wife is slowly starting to recover but has a ways to go. Fevers, headache, cough, flu like weakness, and some shortness of breath. 

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

My wife is in her fourth day of having it. She's a nurse at EAMC. Her sister (a nurse in Upstate S.C.) has it along with her husband, and now it appears my dad and mom may have it. They are in their 70's and my dad has a lot of pre-existing conditions (diabetes, immuno-compromised, etc.) and I had it a year ago. My wife is slowly starting to recover but has a ways to go. Fevers, headache, cough, flu like weakness, and some shortness of breath. 

So sorry to hear this. Praying for you and your family. 🙏

9 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

The lack of federal focus probably a key factor in the lackluster rollout, don’t you think?

14 hours ago, homersapien said:

responsibility at the Federal level:

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

The lack of federal focus probably

Trumps fault? Get most of my information from local news. Nothing there blaming Trump. I am talking East Alabama and the panhandle though.

I am currently on the mend from COVID. Nasty stuff......you guys really want a guy that entertained “bleach injection” ram rodding the vaccine distribution?

37 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Trumps fault? Get most of my information from local news. Nothing there blaming Trump. I am talking East Alabama and the panhandle though.

I am currently on the mend from COVID. Nasty stuff......you guys really want a guy that entertained “bleach injection” ram rodding the vaccine distribution?

No, but a coordinated federal response is needed. Hope you get to 100% soon.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Excellent point!  But I'd would be glad to settle for someone who is competent to formulate and direct an actual national plan.

BTW, if you are interested in the complete scientific explanation of why the vaccine was produced so quickly here's one of the better descriptions I have found:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-did-we-develop-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-quickly#mRNA-technology

While Trump is to be commended for directing billions to the effort, that was a "no-brainer" decision, which is fortunate for us, if you follow my drift. 

On 1/2/2021 at 10:12 AM, SaltyTiger said:

you guys really want a guy that entertained “bleach injection” ram rodding the vaccine distribution?

Que Grumps to weigh in,  protesting that  Trump never said that!!  

in 3...2....1....   :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Excellent point!  But I'd would be glad to settle for someone who is competent to formulate and direct an actual national plan.

BTW, if you are interested in the complete scientific explanation of why the vaccine was produced so quickly here's one of the better descriptions I have found:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-did-we-develop-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-quickly#mRNA-technology

While Trump is to be commended for directing billions to the effort, that was a "no-brainer" decision, which is fortunate for us, if you follow my drift. 

Get the “no brainer”. 

Are you saying there is no national plan or saying you do not agree with distribution stopping at the state level ?

On 1/1/2021 at 9:32 AM, I_M4_AU said:

Not sure about either of those claims - seems to me that Florida is more purple than red - nor are they necessarily "doing it right":

Florida's decision to vaccinate seniors first causes distribution 'chaos'

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-s-decision-vaccinate-seniors-first-causes-distribution-chaos-n1252615

Florida’s vaccine distribution system is keeping me on hold | Fred Grimm

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/commentary/fl-op-com-grimm-vaccination-fiasco-20210103-7ekurkptm5grbolbe7ehgcbkeu-story.html

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not sure about either of those claims - seems to me that Florida is more purple than red - nor are they necessarily "doing it right":

Well, the Gov is Republican and that who is calling the shots (pun intended).  Who thought this thing would go smoothly no matter how it was handled (by state or federal)?  Under this administration the pandemic has always been handled by the states.  If you have a concern, let your state representatives know why you are upset. 

It took only 2-3 days for stores to run out of toilet paper back in March, no way there wasn’t going to be chaos over the distribution of the vaccine.  It’s an *all about me* world.

18 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Get the “no brainer”. 

Are you saying there is no national plan or saying you do not agree with distribution stopping at the state level ?

There is no comprehensive national plan for coordinating and assisting the states - many of whom need help to get the vaccine "into arms".  It's a complete redux of the problems the country experienced with PPE.

Here's what Sen. Romney said about it in a Jan 1 press release:

https://www.romney.senate.gov/romney-urgent-action-needed-vaccination-plan

My 80-something year old grandfather got the virus at his lady friend’s great grandson’s 4 year old birthday party. Because that’s what you should be doing in 2020–getting the whole family together for a 4 year-old’s birthday. 🙄

Thankfully he’s mostly okay (as is his lady friend). He didn’t sound that good on Christmas when I talked to him on the phone; and he still sounded pretty rough, but better, when I talked to him on my birthday on the 29th. Thankfully I think he’s out of the woods as far as potential hospital treatment goes. 

5 hours ago, homersapien said:
23 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

There is no comprehensive national plan for coordinating and assisting the states -

Thanks for answering my question. I think states are aware of their  geographical areas needing assistance. Would like to see mobile immunization stations ready to assist upon request in the national plan.

Once again, the Florida plan is concise and impressive imo. Noted that some of the rural counties had not published a plan a few days ago. Perhaps assistance needed.

The Romney release is about what I would expect

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Well, the Gov is Republican and that who is calling the shots (pun intended).  Who thought this thing would go smoothly no matter how it was handled (by state or federal)?  Under this administration the pandemic has always been handled by the states.  If you have a concern, let your state representatives know why you are upset. 

It took only 2-3 days for stores to run out of toilet paper back in March, no way there wasn’t going to be chaos over the distribution of the vaccine.  It’s an *all about me* world.

No sure how you can apply that to the chaos in Florida. 

The state government announced that people over 65 could receive it.  The result was a jammed/collapsed reservation system and huge crowds at administration sites.

Hell, as someone who also wants to receive the vaccine as soon as possible - which to me means as soon as I am qualified to receive it - I would have responded the same way.  State authorities say I'm eligible then I am going to act.

43 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks for answering my question. I think states are aware of their  geographical areas needing assistance. Would like to see mobile immunization stations ready to assist upon request in the national plan.

Once again, the Florida plan is concise and impressive imo. Noted that some of the rural counties had not published a plan a few days ago. Perhaps assistance needed.

The Romney release is about what I would expect

Well, not all that "concise and impressive".:-\  They started a rush which they couldn't handle.

Don't know what your last sentence means, but I'll give you the benefit of doubt and assume you support what Romney said.

Went home to Montgomery for Christmas.  Got back to Texas to find out my grandfather, mom, and aunt had all been diagnosed with Covid.  I've tested clean, but grandfather is currently in the hospital.

I went to two family Christmas parties with roughly 15 and 25 people respectively and I was the only one wearing a mask. And I’ve already had it. I had it in June.

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

No sure how you can apply that to the chaos in Florida. 

The state government announced that people over 65 could receive it.  The result was a jammed/collapsed reservation system and huge crowds at administration sites.

Hell, as someone who also wants to receive the vaccine as soon as possible - which to me means as soon as I am qualified to receive it - I would have responded the same way.  State authorities say I'm eligible then I am going to act.

The chaos is everywhere about everything related to COVID, it’s not just Florida and the vaccine.  It’s human nature to want to get what can make your life more comfortable and the supply of the item is scarce.  Also, and more to the issue, it is being run by government and they have no clue and/or don’t care about the customer experience (see the DMV).

My son went this morning to get tested as he was exposed last Monday and there is a 817 minute wait.  He was tested last week, but they can’t find the test results.

I’m sure when your time comes to get vaccinated in SC there will be a line around the block.  Let us know how that goes.  I haven’t a clue when NC will enter the phase in which I will be able to get the vaccine, but I won’t rush to get it.  I have survived so far, so I’ll just keep on keeping on.

Archived