Men vs UK

Maverick.AU

2 wins shooting really poorly from 3 a really good sign going forward I think. I like Thor and even Cardwell to work that high-low. I *really* loved Chuma but I think JT can be just as special of a player with the diversity of his skill set-missed a lot of the game today but what I saw his defense looked good

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can remember the not too distant past where shooting like this against Kentucky to open the game and It would have been over midway through the first half. Instead, Auburn hung tough and picked up the win.

I like that we slugged it out and came out with a win. It wasn't pretty and we saw a little of the issue with Sharife not having a great outside shot.  That is the piece I think he will need to add to his game.  Kentucky took advantage of his not having a good shot and funneled him into the trees where he was forced to try and make very difficult shots. Despite that his vision is so good he still end up with another great assist game and still managed to score in double digits despite having a really bad day on FT's.

Team defense was better today but part of that was on Kentucky.  This is not your normal Kentucky team. Flanagan is becoming a force, Cambridge plays much better with a true PG and Thor is showing some skills.  Thor needs some meat on his bones and he will become a dominant rebounder and score more around the rim. Cardwell is a big body full of energy who plays hard and I can see him firing up the crowd with his energy once we have a crowd again. 

This team is still a work in progress we are not very consistent on our 3 point shooting but one thing that pleased me today was there was point in the 2nd half where Sharife sat down for a few minutes and we were down a few points but when he came back we had tied it up. That is key for the future as he will have games where he will get in foul trouble and we will have to find a way to score when he is not out there.

Now to come back down to earth. We are much better with Sharife but we are still not a great team. Even though we out rebounded Kentucky today there were times we were getting beat on the boards and if Kentucky had been able to take advantage of it we might have lost.

Later in the season we play bama again, LSU, and Tenn. those are the games that will tell how much we have grown.

I WILL NEVER EVER EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Take a W against Kentucky team for granted!!!!!!! Even if this is the worst Kentucky team of my 31 years. Even worse than the Nerlens Noel Kentucky team that was a 1 seed in the NIT tourney several years ago and lost to the 8 seed Robert Morris in the NIT first round!!!! lol. Until BP came we had lost 18 in row to them and had not beaten them in 16 years until we pulled off honestly the biggest upset of the BP era when Kareem Canty and some scotch tape and glue beat a Tyler Ullis and Jamaal Murray Kentucky team in 2016. Since then we have beaten them at least once in every season except one!!!! WOOOO!! Never forget where you came from.  This win is still a big deal and still a BIG WIN! Especially when our franchise player did not play well at all and as a team outside of Flanny we were mehhhhhhh. LETS GOOO!!!!!! WAR EAGLE!!!!!!! 

Pretty lucky when even had a shot to win that one after scoring 21 in the first half. But hats off to the team on sticking with it. I never saw any panic or guys with there head down. Which just kept out it until the shots started to fall. Great job by the young team to keep playing hard after such a terrible start. 

Kentucky showed sharife is part human. They sagged off him and clogged the lane with big bodies. And they did an excellent job of not fouling in the first half. Sharife tried to shoot over the defense in the first half and that did not work. He has a long way to go on that part of his game. Needs a quicker release as well as better touch. 

Second half was much better. I’ll have to watch it again to see what exactly we did different. Seemed to me we did more of that weave offense at the top of the key to help match sharife on certain guys. Then mixed in the pick and roll with the post player. Probably just better decisions as well helped. 

This may be the worse Kentucky team in a while. But this is a down year for Auburn too and one of our top players in Powell was still out. Having him as a threat from deep would have helped a lot on this one. But even with a young team and missing a couple guys we still got the win! Down year for Auburn and we still beat Kentucky in bball 😂

😆🤣😅

Cambridge coming off the bench is the best thing for his game and the team. Bruce is using him just like @cole256 and I said we should've used Bryce

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Cambridge coming off the bench is the best thing for his game and the team. Bruce is using him just like @cole256 and I said we should've used Bryce

His game is fairly ugly but his athleticism is off the charts. Glad we have found a way to use him effectively 

Did anybody notice how Kentucky played coop? Put long guys on him sagged off and made him shoot over them while cutting the lane off. We talked about that before the game

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Did anybody notice how Kentucky played coop? Put long guys on him sagged off and made him shoot over them while cutting the lane off. We talked about that before the game

I thought about what you said while I was watching the game. You were spot on!

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

And the one thing I finally saw Cooper do to adjust was on one dribble drive he heads towards the middle where they were waiting for him...he stops and pulls up and hits an uncontested jump shot.

THATS's what  i want him to add to his game.

To understand it doesn't have to be 3 pts and layup attempts.

Once he gets past the perimeter guys he has a wide open shot...he just has to feel comfortable doing it.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Cambridge much like Brown requires someone to get him open looks. Its Coop that is bringing Cambridge to life not coming off the bench. It is a good thing that we have enough talent on the team that we can bring  a guy like Cambridge off of the bench though and if we would have had more talent back in Browns day it would have been nice to bring him in for some instant offense. But we didn't and Brown managed to set the record for made 3pt baskets and along with Harper led AU to the final four and what should have been a NC (damn you refs!!) so i've got no complaints about how he was used. 

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Cambridge much like Brown requires someone to get him open looks. Its Coop that is bringing Cambridge to life not coming off the bench. It is a good thing that we have enough talent on the team that we can bring  a guy like Cambridge off of the bench though and if we would have had more talent back in Browns day it would have been nice to bring him in for some instant offense. But we didn't and Brown managed to set the record for made 3pt baskets and along with Harper led AU to the final four and what should have been a NC (damn you refs!!) so i've got no complaints about how he was used. 

It will be interesting to see when Powell comes back how the rotation will be.

SOMEBODY is going to lose some minutes of playing time. I have a feeling it's going to be JJ. 

23 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It will be interesting to see when Powell comes back how the rotation will be.

SOMEBODY is going to lose some minutes of playing time. I have a feeling it's going to be JJ. 

It will be a nice problem to have,though

This is the Twitter version of the previous video 

Archived