2021 3 Star OT Adrien Strickland

AUgrad2013

New poster, Trying to follow all the rules. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/florida-ol-pledged-to-gators-reopens-recruitment/

He just de-committed from Florida, seems they may be running out of spots. Film looks pretty good. plenty of offers. Wonder if we look into him? 

Coach Harsin seems very methodical and not a quick decision guy, but Strickland has great size and looks like he could be a good OT down the road. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, AUgrad2013 said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/florida-ol-pledged-to-gators-reopens-recruitment/

He just de-committed from Florida, seems they may be running out of spots. Film looks pretty good. plenty of offers. Wonder if we look into him? 

Coach Harsin seems very methodical and not a quick decision guy, but Strickland has great size and looks like he could be a good OT down the road. 

Probably not. We're likely taking a grad transfer or JUCO for the remaining OL spots.

7 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'd like to see us take another HS OT in this class. I mean 1 in 3 years is great and all but i'm feeling greedy today. 

1 in 4 and if you go to '16, we only signed Bro Hamm...unless you count the 2 defensive lineman (Jackson and Manning) we moved to OL. 

If you wanna see something that'll make you tear up, go look at the '15 & '16 recruiting classes and count the players that left the program.

1 hour ago, AUgrad2013 said:

@AUgrad2013 No word of AU interest. Looks like we may try to fill out the last 3 or so spots in the class with grad transfers & a juco who can push to be starters next season.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

1 in 4 and if you go to '16, we only signed Bro Hamm...unless you count the 2 defensive lineman (Jackson and Manning) we moved to OL. 

If you wanna see something that'll make you tear up, go look at the '15 & '16 recruiting classes and count the players that left the program.

Man that 16 class was decimated with transfers. 3 of our top 5 in the class left. I think 13 of 23 ended up leaving. 15 had some that got away as well but not as badly as 16. Myers and Davis still make me sick.

6 hours ago, AUgrad2013 said:

Welcome and thanks for the info! Rules #1 & 2 of course are, don't give click bate to the enemy (e.g. Al.com, Sat Down South, anything Thalmel, etc etc 😁). Kidding, thanks again. 

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Man that 16 class was decimated with transfers. 3 of our top 5 in the class left. I think 13 of 23 ended up leaving. 15 had some that got away as well but not as badly as 16. Myers and Davis still make me sick.

"But Gus recruited a top 10 class."

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Myers and Davis still make me sick.

One had substance problems and the other had a chronic bad knee. Which one has done big stuff since leaving?

Our attrition has been right in there with the SEC average. No fewer leave, no more leave.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

One had substance problems and the other had a chronic bad knee. Which one has done big stuff since leaving?

I don't care what they did after leaving here. There was enormous potential in both and they showed flashes of it their time here. It makes me sad we weren't able to hold on to them regardless of reason.  

As far as your claim that we fall right in line with average transfer attrition, I do not have the time to go and research every school and who has left their rosters over the last decade nor do I want to. I doubt many top 15 programs have had classes where over 50% of an entire class leave. That is not normal. Also, it seems to be higher rated recruits that leave AU. Makes it more shocking Gus was able to get half of those guys to commit to begin with.

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

As far as your claim that we fall right in line with average transfer attrition, I do not have the time to go and research every school and who has left their rosters over the last decade nor do I want to

You don't have to, I've done it for you. For decades, average attrition ranged from 7 to 11 players per year. In recent years, with more lenient transfer rules and now the portal coming into existence, the average has moved up to 15-16. Not all of those are transfers. Many give up football to concentrate on studies, decide that college isn't for them, some have career ending injuries, leave early for the NFL and so forth.

About that 50 %: Count any team's list of scholarship seniors. Assume that their class had 25 signees. Subtract the number of seniors from 25. You'll be pretty close to 50% of what that class started with.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

You don't have to, I've done it for you. For decades, average attrition ranged from 7 to 11 players per year. In recent years, with more lenient transfer rules and now the portal coming into existence, the average has moved up to 15-16. Not all of those are transfers. Many give up football to concentrate on studies, decide that college isn't for them, some have career ending injuries, leave early for the NFL and so forth.

About that 50 %: Count any team's list of scholarship seniors. Assume that their class had 25 signees. Subtract the number of seniors from 25. You'll be pretty close to 50% of what that class started with.

I am not talking about players leaving for the NFL or quitting football all together to pursue rocket science, I am talking about players that end up transferring for whatever reason. 

To test your theory on that, I picked a random class from one of our rivals and looked at Roster attrition (minus NFL departures) from that class and it came to 24.1 percent. The same team when we look at the following year had 8 of 24 transfer. That is 33 percent. No where near 50%. The other noticeable thing, the ones who did transfer are no where near the top of that class' recruits where as our 2016 class saw 3 of top 5 exit.

I mean, if you want to compare a player bouncing for another school to a player successfully developing and leaving early for the league ...that is anecdotal. I see no comparison myself.  All attrition is not the same. I would call NFL positive attrition. The end is a net positive gain. The school gains notoriety and the coaches gain validity and show that they can develop NFL talent.

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am not talking about players leaving for the NFL or quitting football all together to pursue rocket science,

Then we differ. If a guy leaves, that's attrition. Whether to go to jail or accept a Rhodes Scholarship, gone is gone.

4 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am not talking about players leaving for the NFL or quitting football all together to pursue rocket science, I am talking about players that end up transferring for whatever reason. 

To test your theory on that, I picked a random class from one of our rivals and looked at Roster attrition (minus NFL departures) from that class and it came to 24.1 percent. The same team when we look at the following year had 8 of 24 transfer. That is 33 percent. No where near 50%. The other noticeable thing, the ones who did transfer are no where near the top of that class' recruits where as our 2016 class saw 3 of top 5 exit.

I mean, if you want to compare a player bouncing for another school to a player successfully developing and leaving early for the league ...that is anecdotal. I see no comparison myself.  All attrition is not the same. I would call NFL positive attrition. The end is a net positive gain. The school gains notoriety and the coaches gain validity and show that they can develop NFL talent.

When a player leaves early for the NFL (positive attrition) it opens a spot for the backup to fill that spot on the roster until He leaves for the NFL.  At least that's what appears to be happening on some SEC rosters. They sign the top class, some studs leave their after their Jr year for the early rounds of the NFL draft and they backfill that position with another stud player until he leaves for the early rounds of the next NFL draft.  

When a program loses 50% of the top players from a top 10 ranked recruiting class for a myriad of reasons (ours are not leaving for the early rounds of the draft), it diminishes the quality level of that top 10 ranked class years down the road.  If anyone went back and re-evaluated top 10 ranked classes over the years, where would they shake 3 yrs removed from that signing class?   

Were some of those top 10 ranked classes smoke & mirrors?  Why didn't they translate to consistent top 10 ranked teams at the end of each season?  Did those classes fill the positions of need on the roster?

I say take what we can get (ESPECIALY at OT) for the remainder of this class, but starting next year we need to load up with 4 and 5*s. I’m under no illusion we’ll recruit as well as the Turds, but we must be at least in the pre-teens year in and year out. Especially with linemen.

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

starting next year we need to have 4 and 5*s.

Yes because with OL being the hardest position to eval & project there won't be 3*s that project better. Regardless of rating we need 5 or 6 OL in the next class that our staff likes a lot, mostly from high schools.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes because with OL being the hardest position to eval & project there won't be 3*s that project better. Regardless of rating we need 5 or 6 OL in the next class that our staff likes a lot, mostly from high schools.

I’m talking in general. But yes we need bodies as well.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Then we differ. If a guy leaves, that's attrition. Whether to go to jail or accept a Rhodes Scholarship, gone is gone.

I don't see how you can compare having multiple top recruits succeed in your program and give themselves a chance to be able to get drafted after their JR season to a player getting pigeon holed by the coaching staff, buried on depth chart behind players that often times have less talent, or any other reason they choose to leave to go to another school. There is no comparison.

12 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I don't see how you can compare having multiple top recruits succeed in your program and give themselves a chance to be able to get drafted after their JR season to a player getting pigeon holed by the coaching staff, buried on depth chart behind players that often times have less talent, or any other reason they choose to leave to go to another school. There is no comparison.

He's Mikey. He makes the word stubborn look open minded.

50 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's Mikey. He makes the word stubborn look open minded.

Hell, he makes Gus look open minded

Archived