TitanTiger

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know Jeremy Johnson really didn't deserve all that bashing

Well he kinda still did. 

But it wasn’t just him. 

But it goes to show, if even Mahomes can look bad when your OL is crap…

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well he kinda still did. 

But it wasn’t just him. 

But it goes to show, if even Mahomes can look bad when your OL is crap…

There's I could say about that but I wouldn't have the energy to go back and forth with the coalition

I shouldn't have said Johnson I can name many. I should've said White because Johnson gets that neiko Thorpe treatment.....people just don't understand but they will speak as if they do. 

There's no doubt that pressure makes the position harder....there also isn't a doubt that a bad QB can make an o line look bad. 

1. I remember hearing Coach Pat Dye say once, referring to quarterbacks, and I am paraphrasing here, "You get enough pressure on them and they all look ordinary".

51 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I don’t think it’s accuracy...JJ could be very accurate.

It all turned for JJ on an accurate pass.  He threw the prettiest dime I've ever seen, only to get it called back for holding.  Next play pick. Then it began. 

9 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

…when his line can’t keep pressure off of him and he loses confidence in them. 

Mahomes didn't look bad at all. He looked fantastic. Pretty easy to understand that he was under extreme duress and evaluate his play accordingly. 

I certainly hope the point of this thread isn't to compare Bo Nix'x struggles this past season to Mahomes's last night? Yikes.

Btw, this pass hit a receiver in the face in the end zone. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Mahomes didn't look bad at all. He looked fantastic. Pretty easy to understand that he was under extreme duress and evaluate his play accordingly. 

I certainly hope the point of this thread isn't to compare Bo Nix'x struggles this past season to Mahomes's last night? Yikes.

It was and it’s idiotic . I know this, I’ve rarely , if ever seen PM over throw a wide open Tyreek Hill

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also this throw was amazing 

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Mahomes is an other worldly athlete.  I'm not putting Bo Nix on the same plane with him.  What I am saying is that even the best QB of his generation can look flustered, inaccurate, bail on the pocket a lot, and start paying attention to the rush rather than what's downfield more when he's getting hit and running for his life all night.  During the regular season, Mahomes completed 66.3% of his passes.  In the postseason that percentage (before the Super Bowl) was 73.5%.  Last night he completed 53%.  And before his last drive starting with 3:30 on the clock and down 31-9, that percentage was an even 50%.  All season long (including the playoffs), Mahomes threw 6 INTs (and 38 TDs).  He hadn't thrown an INT since October 11th.  Last night he threw 2 and could have had at least 1 or 2 more and had zero TDs.  He was hurried a Super Bowl record 29 times last night and sacked 3 times.  And the Bucs only sent an extra pass rusher on 2 of those 29 plays.  

If a QB on the level of Patrick Mahomes, who played three years of college and just completed his fourth year in the pros can have that rough of a game when his line can't block, imagine what it does to any other QB?  Especially a QB with now only two years of college experience under his belt?

I don't know how good Bo Nix will end up being.  But what I watched last night looked awfully familiar.  Tends to happen when you go 3 or 4 straight recruiting cycles without signing one high school offensive tackle (much less an elite one) and do a lot of settling for at the guard and center positions as well, while your biggest rivals you play every year are loading up on 4 and 5-star guys in the defensive front seven.  But I sure would like to see what the kid could do with a line he could trust.

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He had a 2nd pass bounce off the face of a receiver earlier in the game, too. Plus, their TE dropped two passes on 3rd down that would have given KC a first down.

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think he's trying to compare Nix to Mahomes. Just saying if you can consistently get pressure only rushing 4 and dropping the rest into coverage and double teaming your top receivers it's gonna be a long day for any QB. Even a great one like Mahomes. 

Fantastic? Chiefs worst offensive performance in Mahomes era, 2nd time not scoring a TD. They had some drops (kelce 2x on 3rd down), but he also missed some throws early. Think he started 3-12. Most his stats came from hitting underneath receiver when Bucs went prevent

Johnson excelled in the backward pass far more than the forward one. One of the worst QB's to ever play at AU, not as bad as Kyle Frazier, but another year and he might have got there

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

What I am saying is that even the best QB of his generation can look flustered, inaccurate, bail on the pocket a lot, and start paying attention to the rush rather than what's downfield more when he's getting hit and running for his life all night.

Oy. I was afraid of that.

Mahomes wasn't bailing on pockets last night. That suggests that there were pockets to bail from. He, unlike Nix, was under *real* pressure the entire night. 

Nix bailed on perfectly clean pockets all season long, to the point that he convinced you and a whole lot of other Auburn fans that our OL was way worse than they actually were. 

21 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But what I watched last night looked awfully familiar.

I'll give you the uga game, which happened the first Saturday in October. Otherwise, Bo was running from ghosts most of the season and incapable of good mechanics even under the best of conditions.

12 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Fantastic? Chiefs worst offensive performance in Mahomes era, 2nd time not scoring a TD.

Of course his stats were bad. I'm talking about how he actually played. He worked miracles in order to keep the score as close as it was. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Oy. I was afraid of that.

Mahomes wasn't bailing on pockets last night. That suggests that there were pockets to bail from. He, unlike Nix, was under *real* pressure the entire night. 

Nix bailed on perfectly clean pockets all season long, to the point that he convinced you and a whole lot of other Auburn fans that our OL was way worse than they actually were. 

Nix bailed on perfectly clean pockets because far more often, the pockets weren't clean at all or were non-existent.  It's not like he got pressured once or twice and then ran away from good protection 70% of the time.

Our OL was terrible.  Full stop.  It got marginally better in the run game, but even that went back to terrible when anyone other than Tank was carrying the ball.  It sometimes gave Nix good protection that he ran from when he didn't need to.  But none of that happened in a vacuum.

Just now, McLoofus said:

I'll give you the uga game, which happened the first Saturday in October. Otherwise, Bo was running from ghosts most of the season and incapable of good mechanics even under the best of conditions.

Most of the season he was running from actual crappy protection and it bled over into him running even when the protection was decent.

And yes, mechanics are also an issue.  

Just now, McLoofus said:

Of course his stats were bad. I'm talking about how he actually played. He worked miracles in order to keep the score as close as it was. 

And I'm saying, you could have put a lot of more accomplished college QBs in Auburn's offense the past two years and they would have looked a lot more pedestrian and in some cases bad behind that line, running that offense, and throwing to that group of receivers.

You can say that and still believe that Nix has work to do that is just about himself, independent of his line.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Our OL was terrible.  Full stop.

No, they really weren't. Full stop. They weren't on par with the best in the country, but they weren't the primary reason for how bad our offense was the last half of the season. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Most of the season he was running from actual crappy protection and it bled over into him running even when the protection was decent.

Nah.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And I'm saying, you could have put a lot of more accomplished college QBs in Auburn's offense the past two years and they would have looked a lot more pedestrian and in some cases bad behind that line, running that offense, and throwing to that group of receivers.

Oh, our offensive game plans definitely sucked. But that's not why Bo was incapable of displaying basic fundamentals of the position. Look at Jarrett Stidham. He had his issues, but he still maintained good fundamentals. 

But, uh... "that group of receivers"? Huh??? If it wasn't for Seth Williams, Bo would be a laughing stock. Anthony Schwartz will go in the top half of the draft. The other guys are on par with the receivers at any school not named bama. Now it's really starting to feel like you just really want to prop Bo up. 

21 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Johnson excelled in the backward pass far more than the forward one. One of the worst QB's to ever play at AU, not as bad as Kyle Frazier, but another year and he might have got there

JJ is absolutely better at everything that makes a QB than Bo 😂 you just can't talk about Bo

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, they really weren't. Full stop. They weren't on par with the best in the country, but they weren't the primary reason for how bad our offense was the last half of the season. 

They were neck and neck with Gus's terrible offensive game plans and general development on that side of the ball.

Nah.

Yeah.

Oh, our offensive game plans definitely sucked. But that's not why Bo was incapable of displaying basic fundamentals of the position. Look at Jarrett Stidham. He had his issues, but he still maintained good fundamentals. 

I conceded that Bo has issues that have nothing to do with the offensive line play.

But that doesn't mean the offensive line play was acceptable.  They literally couldn't generate push against hardly anyone.  And the only time they looked remotely decent was when Tank showed what he was capable of.  But a truly decent to good offensive line shouldn't need a phenom carrying the ball for the ground game to be functional.  The other backs we have aren't Tank, but they aren't straight trash either.  But the run game barely had a pulse unless Tank was out there.  That should tell you something.

But, uh... "that group of receivers"? Huh??? If it wasn't for Seth Williams, Bo would be a laughing stock. Anthony Schwartz will go in the top half of the draft. The other guys are on par with the receivers at any school not named bama. Now it's really starting to feel like you just really want to prop Bo up. 

Seth and Flash are great.  Neither played particularly great this year.  There were games where both of them all but disappeared.  Whatever Nix's faults are, he was also plagued by a good amount of dropped passes right in people's hands, including from Seth and Flash.

I don't want or need to prop Bo up.  I'm just pushing back against the idea that he's terrible and we should move on from him.  There are a whole lot of factors as to why this offense - and the passing offense especially - was so terrible that don't go away if Bo fixes all his mechanics and pocket bailing issues.

Let's take the Georgia game, bad game for the o line. But there was one particular play the like lined up and everybody on earth but Bo knew he was blitzing. And that particular play you knew he was coming in free, the QB has to identify this guy and throw to his hot route. Bo didn't know to do this. Pretty damn basic.....But oh well lesson learned.

What the board see and says.....o line suck! What was he supposed to do? There's not a QB on earth that can over come that!  Actually yes it is.....easily 70% of QB's that actually throw the ball in high school would know

Archived