I Need A Lawnmower

I just bought a house with about .25 acres of mowable “grass” (backyard is mostly clovers). Looking for suggestions on a self-propelled push mower. Don’t want to spend an arm and a leg, so let’s say under $400.

Had a Troy-Bilt 21” self propelled that served well for several years. Just not crazy about self-propelled. When you eventually have a problem they are aggravating to work on and heavy to push without being propelled. Best mowers we ever owned were Poulan with the large rear wheels. Both manufactures use Briggs & Stratton engines which are great

• Thanks 1

I bought a Honda push mower 20+ years ago.  It's still going.

Anything gas powered at Lowes/Home Depot should be fine.  I like rear bag and rear wheel drive units.  I'm not ready to trust electric/battery yet, because I obviously run things until the wheels fall off.  Then I fix them and run them longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From Costco, I bought a 21" cut self-propelled Poulan brand mower but it has a 6.5 hp Honda engine mounted on it.  Had it about 10 years, and all I do is change the oil, replace the spark plug & air filter every year.  Still running as good as when I first bought it.  I did have to finally replace the blade this year because it had a crack in it.  If I ever have to buy another mower, I will look at another Honda first.     

I agree with those who say to get a Honda engine. My lawn is flat so I prefer a non-self propelled. I have a TroyBilt with large back wheels with a Honda engine that I got from Home Depot.

I have to get a new mower myself. Left the old one behind when I moved. Been considering battery since I don’t have much yard. I like the cleanup of it but still weighing the options. 

18 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Anyone have any experience with the E-Go? Or is this gonna be a charcoal vs propane type argument?

My neighbor has one. I haven’t visited with her about it, but she uses the crap out of it and I know they’ve had one for a couple of years.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2021 at 7:49 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

My neighbor has one. I haven’t visited with her about it, but she uses the crap out of it and I know they’ve had one for a couple of years.

tumL8Yb.jpg

Route I decided to go. Battery is compatible with the leaf blower and weed eater. Grass is way too wet to use right now, but tomorrow I’ll take it for the maiden voyage. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 1:25 PM, AUBwins said:

I have to get a new mower myself. Left the old one behind when I moved. Been considering battery since I don’t have much yard. I like the cleanup of it but still weighing the options. 

This is one of my favorite parts of it. Takes up no space in my outside utility closet. 

aPJNqsh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This is one of my favorite parts of it. Takes up no space in my outside utility closet. 

aPJNqsh.jpg

I know you haven't had long but how did the charge hold up? 

Lol just saw you haven't used yet. 

Edited by AUBwins

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

I know you haven't had long but how did the charge hold up? 

Lol just saw you haven't used yet. 

We’ll find out tomorrow 👍

Took the battery about an hour to charge to full out of the box. 

How’d she do?

On 3/28/2021 at 6:44 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

We’ll find out tomorrow 👍

Took the battery about an hour to charge to full out of the box. 

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Great! I was able to cut the front and back yard on a single charge. Super easy to use, no frustration. 

Good deal. 

Super late to the party but I am a big fan of Honda mowers as well.  The first one I inherited from my father that finally died after 20 years.  I have a new Honda new and love it.  Most gas-powered mowers have Honda engines actually because they are so trustworthy.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 1:30 PM, abw0004 said:

Super late to the party but I am a big fan of Honda mowers as well.  The first one I inherited from my father that finally died after 20 years.  I have a new Honda new and love it.  Most gas-powered mowers have Honda engines actually because they are so trustworthy.

I would agree with it. I also really love Honda mowers, they definetely are one of the best. 

On 3/29/2021 at 11:05 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Great! I was able to cut the front and back yard on a single charge. Super easy to use, no frustration. 

I see you got the self propelled with the 7.5A battery.  I bet that definitely did the job.  I would be more in the market for the 5A push.  I'm hoping it can handle 1/4 acre on a charge. I am wanting to avoid getting a 2nd battery.  At least with the EGo, they are quick to charge.  

Anyone else know of a reliable battery operated that can handle 1/4 acre a charge? Just don't want to have to wait 3 hours plus to finish the yard lol. 

Still pondering.  Lowes has the 40v Kobalt on a big sale right now for $250. Thought of that with an additional battery since it's so cheap. I know one battery will likely not last on my 1/4 lot.  But some reviews talk of batteries dropping off quick to where they are only getting 15 mins a battery after several months.  That would be frustrating.  I don't want to spend over $450, but the ideal mowers I've reviewed are in the $550 range. I thought I had one picked out only to find out the reviewed mower was $100 too much lol.  I could accept a system that charges quickly enough with 1 battery while other is being used.  I like the EGO, but mainly concerned with the cost of their battery replacement and to be serviced if needed have to send it off for a few weeks.  Probably something I have been over thinking, just like I did with my truck.  But really want to go electric, and not spend that much to go bad after 1 season. If batteries were under $100 to replace, it would make it a lot easier.  I know I could get a good gas mower for my range, but don't really want to deal with it. 

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Still pondering.  Lowes has the 40v Kobalt on a big sale right now for $250. Thought of that with an additional battery since it's so cheap. I know one battery will likely not last on my 1/4 lot.  But some reviews talk of batteries dropping off quick to where they are only getting 15 mins a battery after several months.  That would be frustrating.  I don't want to spend over $450, but the ideal mowers I've reviewed are in the $550 range. I thought I had one picked out only to find out the reviewed mower was $100 too much lol.  I could accept a system that charges quickly enough with 1 battery while other is being used.  I like the EGO, but mainly concerned with the cost of their battery replacement and to be serviced if needed have to send it off for a few weeks.  Probably something I have been over thinking, just like I did with my truck.  But really want to go electric, and not spend that much to go bad after 1 season. If batteries were under $100 to replace, it would make it a lot easier.  I know I could get a good gas mower for my range, but don't really want to deal with it. 

I was also thinking about the Kobalt, but in person it just looks so cheap compared to the E Go. So it may be a paying for what you get type of scenario. I hadn’t heard anything about E Go batteries being poor, but one person I know said he had to replace his after 5 years of use. I do like the battery is compatible with the blower and weed eater. I could feasibly mow my lawn and hit the areas around the tree roots with a weed eater and it’ll run the battery out. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

On 4/3/2021 at 6:44 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I was also thinking about the Kobalt, but in person it just looks so cheap compared to the E Go. So it may be a paying for what you get type of scenario. I hadn’t heard anything about E Go batteries being poor, but one person I know said he had to replace his after 5 years of use. I do like the battery is compatible with the blower and weed eater. I could feasibly mow my lawn and hit the areas around the tree roots with a weed eater and it’ll run the battery out. 

Next door neighbor has had his E Go for two full seasons. No issues. I think you'll be fine.

Me a 1999 Honda commercial self propelled, but I have a large area to cut. 

• Thanks 1

My choice and preferred choice: TORO 21" recycler, 60v with 6.0ah battery, RWD, steel deck (really wanted this),  probably the best single blade of battery mowers at .13" thick, and of course with stowaway option.  The recycler mulches the grass really fine to supposedly fertilize the grass.  Not a rapid charger evidently.  That's OK though if it cuts the full yard on the single charge.   It should with 324 working apps. Rapid charger depletes batteries faster over time. I lost the daylight by the time it charged up (2 hours with 1 or 2 bars to start)   So I'll get after it tomorrow after work if rain holds off. This one doesn't have the lights on it.  A lot of the top models were sold out over here.  Happy this one was there.  They had 2 but none showing up on website.  For the record, due to supply and value, my back up was doing to be the Atlas 80v at harbor Freight.  Underrated and the replacement batteries are only $109. Only true downfall is just the 90 day HF warranty.  But it's made by greenworks.  Ok.  Pics. 

20210406_170024.jpg

20210406_171406.jpg

20210406_200117.jpg

20210406_200130.jpg

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 2

Well got the grass cut.  Took me about 40 mins of cutting time and still had 2 bars left.  I only used the drive occasionally, pushed mostly.  I cut it at about 2.75" and the mower only revved up a few times in some thicker patches.  Raising the blade gave a good run without much work.  It had 2 bars after the first 30 mins, with the backyard still to go.  But after the backyard, still 2 bars left.  It's not a huge backyard but still about a third the size of the front & side yard. So all in all a good first run.  

20210407_180330.jpg

20210407_180337.jpg

20210407_180531.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

• Love 1

I’ve never felt more like a Hank Hill until I cut the grass on my own lawn and stared out at after admiring my work. Cut the backyard in 28 minutes on mulch the other day. I aim to get that down to at least 25 minutes. 

Still gotta get the weed eater. That left side along the fence is a mess because of the roots. The back fence is gonna stay that way because of their 9 dogs and chickens and ducks...gotta have some semblance of noise dampening. 

oAzwZm4.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Love 1