Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

6 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I don't like the salaries, but the coach is an employee of the university and the student is a student athlete.  If they don't want to be a student athlete, they are free to drop out and train full time on their own dime and try out for an NFL team when the NFL's rules allow them to do so.  The coaches won't be making these decisions.  College presidents will ultimately decide a framework, jointly with the leadership of the conferences that they have in place.

You have to see the inherent problem with schools paying athletes without some structure and balance from conference to conference and school to school.  The NFL, in their effort to make the game balanced and fair for all teams, has a salary cap and a prioritized draft, among other things.

Why is it OK for a small group of people to get extremely rich while the other group has to be "students".

Many students get paid by the university for work they do.  This isn't different.

• Like 1

Just now, AU9377 said:

You cannot believe that some sort of open market will be adopted.  It won't be.  At the end of the day, every athletic department is one part of a larger university.  My comment about a level playing field, and the NFL recognizing the need for that, was meant to compare the things the NFL goes out of their way to do in order to ensure that happens. Things like a prioritized draft, salary caps, roster limits, etc.

Huh? What are you even talking about? I am strictly talking about the NIL and athletes being able to make money from other sources without it affecting their eligibility. In terms of the other stuff, if it comes with it, it comes with it. I am not naive to think these kids aren't getting things under the table as it is. Hopefully now they can receive monetary funds systemically and within the scope of however the NCAA wants to navigate it. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

This makes no sense. But fine the other side is it's a problem for the school to offer anything for talent then they are more than able to not participate and recruit suck guys and miss out on the millions of dollar profit. Trying to pretend that the school isn't getting much more than a player is laughable

Nobody is pretending that.  That doesn't mean that there needs to be some sort of profit sharing happening.  That will never happen.

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

You cannot believe that some sort of open market will be adopted.  It won't be.  At the end of the day, every athletic department is one part of a larger university.  My comment about a level playing field, and the NFL recognizing the need for that, was meant to compare the things the NFL goes out of their way to do in order to ensure that happens. Things like a prioritized draft, salary caps, roster limits, etc.

but they really aren't.  Most are pretty much stand alone organizations with their own budgets and revenue streams.  They pretty much act independently of the school, outside of the AD reporting to the president. 

They are more a sister company than apart of the school itself. 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Why is it OK for a small group of people to get extremely rich while the other group has to be "students".

Many students get paid by the university for work they do.  This isn't different.

That is exactly what happens in the real world in business.  They have to be students because they are playing on a team representing a university.  I worked for the university while I was in school.  They didn't exactly pay well.  I have no issue with them getting something, but there has to be oversight or things will go south quickly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Trying to pretend that the school isn't getting much more than a player is laughable

And the schools aren't making money off the regular ole "Joe"student who has to "pay" for their education(or their parents)? They are certainly making a "profit" off of those students, or they could not stay in the business of education...

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

but they really aren't.  Most are pretty much stand alone organizations with their own budgets and revenue streams.  They pretty much act independently of the school, outside of the AD reporting to the president. 

They are more a sister company than apart of the school itself. 

No they aren't.  They are a department.... a sub unit of the larger university.  The President can hire and fire any employee in the athletic department, just as he can with any other part of the university.  The athletic department does not act independently any more than the college of liberal arts.

That is exactly what happens in the real world in business.  They have to be students because they are playing on a team representing a university.  I worked for the university while I was in school.  They didn't exactly pay well.  I have no issue with them getting something, but there has to be oversight or things will go south quickly.

Lmao. They are not like you or your typical student . Why do you keep trying to push that agenda? It hypocritical at best.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

I worked for the university while I was in school.  They didn't exactly pay well. 

That's bc what you did was most likely near worthless.  This is different.

That is exactly what happens in the real world in business. 

Can you leave your company to find higher paying compensation??  I bet you can.  These kids can't

In the real work that business doesn't have a strangle hold on anyone between HS and 3 years after HS.  These players literally have no where to go b/c of a made up organization says they have to be students.

This made sense in the 1960s when coaches made nothing.  Now you have schools paying 20mm to fire a coach and, then 5-10mm a year for a HC and 2mm a year for an Coordinator and all scream we have no money.

Schools/NCAA have these kids locked in.  It is nothing like " the real world in business"

2 minutes ago, cctiger said:

And the schools aren't making money off the regular ole "Joe"student who has to "pay" for their education(or their parents)? They are certainly making a "profit" off of those students, or they could not stay in the business of education...

The athletic department does not fund the university.  In fact, the university provides a supplement to the athletic department.

Just now, DAG said:

Lmao. They are not like you or your typical student . Why do you keep trying to push that agenda? It hypocritical at best.

They don't have to be like a typical student, but they are nonetheless students.

Just now, DAG said:

Kids just fought for the ability to be able to transfer one single time without penalty.  But it's just like the real world.

You change jobs a 2nd time in life and for a year you can't be used.

The athletic department does not fund the university.  In fact, the university provides a supplement to the athletic department.

What money does the Auburn AD get from the school?  I'm pretty sure they are fully funded by themselves and a lot of times gives money back to the school

Edited by W.E.D

This pretty much comes down to the be happy with what you got type logic as opposed to being treated equally or fairly or whatever

That's bc what you did was most likely near worthless.  This is different.

Can you leave your company to find higher paying compensation??  I bet you can.  These kids can't

In the real work that business doesn't have a strangle hold on anyone between HS and 3 years after HS.  These players literally have no where to go b/c of a made up organization says they have to be students.

This made sense in the 1960s when coaches made nothing.  Now you have schools paying 20mm to fire a coach and, then 5-10mm a year for a HC and 2mm a year for an Coordinator and all scream we have no money.

Schools/NCAA have these kids locked in.  It is nothing like " the real world in business"

The "kids" are free to not participate.  They can try out for NFL teams when the NFL allows them to do so.  I agree with you completely about the coaching salaries. 100%.

The reason that congress will give the NCAA an exemption to anti trust laws is to provide clearance for the monopoly like system that exists.  They will do this because there are also benefits to that system of operating.

They don't have to be like a typical student, but they are nonetheless students.

But you keep making the argument that they should be treated as such which is not the case. They are atypical , therefore , the NCAA is in this predicament. How can anyone have any viable discussion with you , if you can’t see that?

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

This pretty much comes down to the be happy with what you got type logic as opposed to being treated equally or fairly or whatever

I certainly never said that.  I believe that they should and have been getting more than at any other time in the history of the sport.  We can continue to increase this without destroying the sport itself.

Just now, AU9377 said:

The "kids" are free to not participate

And that won’t happen because the kids and the institution realize these kids formulate an one billion dollar industry

Thank God they realized this and fought for their rights. I wish they would’ve kept on with the college athlete union Trevor tried to pitch . That really scared the powers to be.

• Like 1

The "kids" are free to not participate

lmao

So basically, hey everyone 18-21.  Get fcked.  Great solution b/c you're mad kids might make money

1 minute ago, DAG said:

But you keep making the argument that they should be treated as such which is not the case. They are atypical , therefore , the NCAA is in this predicament. How can anyone have any viable discussion with you , if you can’t see that?

College football can increase benefits to players without making them some sort of employee.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

And that won’t happen because the kids and the institution realize these kids formulate an one billion dollar industry

Thank God they realized this and fought for their rights. I wish they would’ve kept on with the college athlete union Trevor tried to pitch . That really scared the powers to be.

Nah.  These special top fraction of a percent of kids should just not participate and deal with the current system.  Screw their talents I demand these kids be poor b/c I was a poor college kid once

• Like 1

I just don't see why people whoare middle class and lower argue for the corrupt super wealthy.....that makes no sense to me. 

Many years from now people will look back at this argument and laugh, or cry......but it will be looked at how did people have such weak moral fibers in society just as we do now

• Like 3

College football can increase benefits to players without making them some sort of employee.

Apparently not. It’s silly you want to cap what these kids can earn but totally okay with someone like our previous HC making a mockery out of the financial aspects based on the blood, sweat and tears of these young men.

Just now, cole256 said:

I just don't see why people whoare middle class and lower argue for the corrupt super wealthy.....that makes no sense to me. 

Many years from now people will look back at this argument and laugh, or cry......but it will be looked at how did people have such weak moral fibers in society just as we do now

The mindset of "Oh well one day maybe I'll be that corrupt super wealthy" give them the pause to essentially screw themselves over b/c one day they have a dream.

lmao

So basically, hey everyone 18-21.  Get fcked.  Great solution b/c you're mad kids might make money

Not at all.   I'm in favor of giving kids an increased stipend.  In a monitored way, I have no problem with them profiting from NIL.  I just don't want NIL used as a recruiting tool.  They realize that they are much better off playing ball and getting a free education, along with stipends etc than they are sitting at home and working.  Many also get to attend schools that they would have never been admitted to without athletics.