Barbee Gets New HC Job

Proud Tiger

Some things are arguable. That Barbee is the worst coach in AU basketball history is not arguable.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Some things are arguable. That Barbee is the worst coach in AU basketball history is not arguable.

Not even close absolute worst

2010–14 Tony Barbee 4 49–75 .395

15 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

I hope he has matured and humbled himself to the point that he won't bring embarrassment to that university.

I'm sure Rupp Arena is a good place to learn those qualitites.

• Haha 1

I'm really interested in seeing how he does with another head coaching opportunity. If he fails again will he still be able to crawl back to Kentucky? Maybe he has taken what he learned from Auburn and will be able to apply it to a new school.

If you learn from your mistakes his time at Auburn will be invaluable as he made a lot of mistakes.. One statement in article was he is a top notch recruiter I didn't see that at Auburn. Maybe he was at KY or maybe because he was at KY it is easier to recruit because of the KY brand. For the kids sake at the new school I hope he has learned and is now a better coach as the kids at any school deserve a coach that treats them well and gives them a chance to win.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

On 6/24/2021 at 8:29 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

If you learn from your mistakes his time at Auburn will be invaluable as he made a lot os mistakes.. One statement in article was he is a top notch recruiter I didn't see that at Auburn. Maybe he was at KY or maybe because he was at KY it is easier to recruit because of the KY brand. For the kids sake at the new school I hope he has learned and is now a better coach as the kids at any school deserve a coach that treats them well and gives them a chance to win.

I agree. I don't think he was ever comfortable under Jay Jacobs' leadership. I think JJ liked to run the Athletic Dept. like a deacon running a church. This whole "Christian family" aspect of the Department I think made him uncomfortable, so imo he just sorta checked-out. Re: being a good recruiter, I just don't see it, either. Bruce is a good, well great, recruiter. Barbee demonstrated none of what Bruce brings to the table. Barbee tried to re-build the men's team on the foundation of Shawn Kemp, Jr. and Luke Cothron. Neither were ever going to qualify, so I honestly believe he though AU would "help" them qualify, if you catch my drift. Didn't happen, and he realized what kind of relative compliance environment he had to work with at AU vs. the compliance environments he was used to in previous coaching/playing stops. 

• 5 months later...
13 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Just an update, Barbee still has that magic. CMU currently 1-9.

Still a gifted coach I see.

• Like 2

If Barbee would have learned from his mistakes, he would have stopped coaching basketball.

has he blamed the shoe company contract yet for his performance?   🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

If he really cares about being a head basketball coach, I'm of the opinion that he needs to go down to a high school or JUCO and attempt to learn how to run a winning program on a much smaller scale. Cut his teeth on that. I have no idea what kind of magic he pulled on the border at UTEP prior to Jacobs hiring him at Auburn, but that clearly was an exception rather than the rule.

Of course, we don't know what kind of roster he inherited with his current mid-major team. They probably couldn't play white on snow, so I'll cut him a break on this year...

• Facepalm 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update, Central Michigan is 2-13, with wins over Eastern IL and Kent State. Lost to the Zags 107-54. And if you are curious, Jeff Lebo is back as an asst at UNC where his son is a walk-on. Lebo was a HC for 20 years, never took a team to the tourney.

Edited by boisnumber1

5 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Just an update, Central Michigan is 2-13, with wins over Eastern IL and Kent State. Lost to the Zags 107-54. And if you are curious, Jeff Lebo is back as an asst at UNC where his son is a walk-on. Lebo was a HC for 20 years, never took a team to the tourney.

Lebo tried to be a good coach. Just couldn't quite pull it off. I think his main issue was just not being able to connect with and recruit the caliber player ya gotta have to win enough games to make the tourney. But in all fairness, Lebo's 2008-2009 Auburn squad got screwed out of a tourney bid when we had Vot Barber, Quantez Robertson, Tay Waller, Frankie Sullivan, et al. Didn't make the dance because of the name of the school on the jersey.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Lebo tried to be a good coach. Just couldn't quite pull it off. I think his main issue was just not being able to connect with and recruit the caliber player ya gotta have to win enough games to make the tourney. But in all fairness, Lebo's 2008-2009 Auburn squad got screwed out of a tourney bid when we had Vot Barber, Quantez Robertson, Tay Waller, Frankie Sullivan, et al. Didn't make the dance because of the name of the school on the jersey.

Yeah, the word when Lebo was at AU was that he couldn't connect with anyone - players or otherwise. He was inexperienced then tho.

On 1/26/2022 at 4:01 PM, tigeraddikt said:

This is so true. Team went on a nice run to end the regular season. Word was that one win in the SEC tournament and AU was all but guaranteed a bid in the NCAA tournament. We beat Florida but then loose to a really good TN team in the semifinal game. Got the win we needed and then nothing but an invitation to the NIT. We got hosed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 6:27 PM, boisnumber1 said:

Yeah, the word when Lebo was at AU was that he couldn't connect with anyone - players or otherwise. He was inexperienced then tho.

Gee, who does that sound like?

(I hope the parallels end there because if not it's going to take until 2034 for FB to be good again.)

Edited by AUwent

I'm so thankful for Bruce, I've let my frustrations with Barbee go.  I wish him well.  He tried here.